Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
You can change majors/double major maybe. I heard of one guy doing this with TA, where he would change majors just a few credits shy of his education plan, and then rake in a whole new set of TA classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I dont think that'd work. I go to a very small engineering school. If I tried to do that, my dept head would probably come find me to ask wtf.

I was thinking about trying to do something with grad school instead. Maybe see if they'll let me take classes there while finishing up my last semester of undergrad or something... or maybe take an extra math class as a "prereq for grad school" or something...

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

vulturesrow posted:

Do you mind saying what billets you are looking at in those places?

Fallon would be the most likely place if I pick up WTI, though there are other random single slots all over the place. Norfolk would be FRS instructor, if I don't get picked for WTI.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I would like to take this opportunity to publicly apologize for every negative thing I've ever said about Newport. I would literally prefer a winter in Newport to any time of year in Norfolk. gently caress this place.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

ManMythLegend posted:

I would like to take this opportunity to publicly apologize for every negative thing I've ever said about Newport. I would literally prefer a winter in Newport to any time of year in Norfolk. gently caress this place.

It appears Norfolk is still working as intended, then.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Idk, one of my friends went out to Norfolk on some ship and he's loving it because he's "finally in the real Navy." He's telling me I should re-enlist to get a feel for it. God I haven't laughed so hard at him in years.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Pandasmores posted:

Idk, one of my friends went out to Norfolk on some ship and he's loving it because he's "finally in the real Navy." He's telling me I should re-enlist to get a feel for it. God I haven't laughed so hard at him in years.
That feel he's referring to can be recreated by allowing a horse to sodomize you.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

this officer isn't drinking enough Navy kool-aid.
...you in norfolk for XO training or something?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm in California because I accepted a Norfolk billet.

Tomahawk is awesome and if you ever turn down a TLAM related billet you should probably consider making a career in the Navy because you make terrible decisions and will go far in the Navy.

nacirema
Nov 18, 2008
An instructor at HM a school recommend me for relief and separation for sleeping in class. Waving ucmj article 13, not 92 at me, I can't tell if he threatening or will actually do paperwork. I was told to wake up multiple times before. My grades are excellent. No paper was ever filed on me or got called for counseling. And I graduate in 10 days. Should I be worried, if so how can I present a case that is not about me be being a lovely sailor to Chief?

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

Hahaha. How did you like the 30 minute pour today? ps gently caress this place I"m glad I'm going back in november.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

nacirema posted:

An instructor at HM a school recommend me for relief and separation for sleeping in class. Waving ucmj article 13, not 92 at me, I can't tell if he threatening or will actually do paperwork. I was told to wake up multiple times before. My grades are excellent. No paper was ever filed on me or got called for counseling. And I graduate in 10 days. Should I be worried, if so how can I present a case that is not about me be being a lovely sailor to Chief?

Define "recommend". Did you sign anything?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

nacirema posted:

First, I suggest you try to get a hold of someone that is associated with JAG (such as asking where base legal is located or where you can a hold of a Legalman while you're in San Antonio). Article 13 is incredibly vague, and if I'm thinking how the HM1 did he's just trying to put the fear in you of going to DRB. Honestly it reads as a case of you being protected from punishments before a trial.

Second, 10 days likely isn't long enough to gather evidence against you, but then again you joined one of the shittiest rates as far as leadership goes and you might end up being rushed to a DRB where the Chiefs will chew you out. Which leads to this piece of advice - Talk to a Legalman/JAG Officer. Don't wave any of your rights until you speak to legal. Also know that at DRB they'll try to intimidate you.

Personal experience: I'm a Corpsman and have been in many a lovely situation because HMs make up some of the shittiest Petty Officers-wannabe-Marines I have ever encountered (I work with people of different ratings, and know a few people in different ratings in the real Navy) and sweet Jesus I may have stayed in this gig if there weren't such crappy people in my rating.

By the way where are your orders to for after A school?

nacirema
Nov 18, 2008

MancXVI posted:

Define "recommend". Did you sign anything?

It was at the end of the day during our talk that he brought it up and said he will do it. I did not sign anything today. I think he meant page 13 instead of article.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

tuluk posted:

this officer isn't drinking enough Navy kool-aid.
...you in norfolk for XO training or something?

Yeah. I'm here for a couple of weeks for training before I head back up to Newport for some more.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

You guys worry a lot. I am pretty sure every other week I was be counseled in A and C school. I told a STG1 to gently caress himself, got in trouble for calling a girl "watersport" as a nickname, and had to do stupid poo poo for not using a crosswalk. Then on the boat I told a CS1 to gently caress himself (stopped at XOI) and had plenty of counseling chits by my work center sup. For things like telling the guy signing my tags for 3m to kiss my rear end or throwing a tech pub at my work center supervisor.

If you make good grades and there is no paper trail who gives a poo poo.

Edit: Thinking back I was kind of a poo poo head but I did my job well so whatever. Also for as much poo poo I gave VT he did stand up for me if anyone tried to write me up or mess with me.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 19, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Also stay awake in class you dumb poo poo

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

nacirema posted:

Hahahaha.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, if for no other reason then it takes work to disenroll someone from a school and lord only knows most instructors do as little of that as possible. Just drink some coffee, chew on some sunflower seeds, and keep your head down for the next week.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
There was a core group of three or four of us in power school that would have to be standing in the back of class pretty much every Friday to stay awake. We'd inevitably start swaying and shuffling together before getting in a straight up doo-wop spinning and clapping routine, seeing how far we could go to gently caress with the instructor before he'd tell us to knock it off. Nuke school was a pretty good time.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

nacirema posted:

It was at the end of the day during our talk that he brought it up and said he will do it. I did not sign anything today. I think he meant page 13 instead of article.

If you graduate in ten days then a page 13 is basically toilet paper. I can't offer real advice, though.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

not black enough posted:

Hahaha. How did you like the 30 minute pour today? ps gently caress this place I"m glad I'm going back in november.

I've spent most of my life in Florida, I don't normally mind the rain at all. It was just the perfect cherry on top of the poo poo cake of being here today.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

MancXVI posted:

If you graduate in ten days then a page 13 is basically toilet paper. I can't offer real advice, though.

Signing a counseling chit (which is what it sounds like) starts the paperwork trail so that eventually they can take you to mast with a legitimate case. The more paperwork you have on someone, the better the chance that the CO agrees.

When I had problem children, I'd do the formal counseling thing and inform them that this was the first step down a road that led to mast. Usually that would straighten them out and the paperwork would disappear when they transferred.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

nacirema posted:

gently caress that know-nothing piece of poo poo, sleep through all of your classes. what can they do to you in 10 days????

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Fallon would be the most likely place if I pick up WTI, though there are other random single slots all over the place. Norfolk would be FRS instructor, if I don't get picked for WTI.

NSAWC or E2 Weapons School in Fallon? FRS duty is usually pretty good but I don't know how you feel about Norfolk.

nacirema
Nov 18, 2008

Pandasmores posted:

By the way where are your orders to for after A school?

I'm going to c school for surg tech. Class starts 18sept. And thanks for all the advice, staying awake is really hard even with coffee.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

nacirema posted:

I'm going to c school for surg tech. Class starts 18sept. And thanks for all the advice, staying awake is really hard even with coffee.

Go get some tiger balm and spread a very thin layer under one eye on your cheekbone. Wash your hands and don't touch it. Enjoy the burn.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Can you not stand up? Also caffeine pills

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
Stop playing WoW all night, get 7-8hrs, take some hydroxycut in the AM, drink a large black coffee, take more hydroxycut at lunch, and you'll be in beast-mode until about 7-7:30.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Also suffering massive renal failure :)

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

and keep your head down for the next week.

Pretty sure that's what got him in trouble to begin with.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

You guys worry a lot. I am pretty sure every other week I was be counseled in A and C school. I told a STG1 to gently caress himself, got in trouble for calling a girl "watersport" as a nickname, and had to do stupid poo poo for not using a crosswalk. Then on the boat I told a CS1 to gently caress himself (stopped at XOI) and had plenty of counseling chits by my work center sup. For things like telling the guy signing my tags for 3m to kiss my rear end or throwing a tech pub at my work center supervisor.

If you make good grades and there is no paper trail who gives a poo poo.

Edit: Thinking back I was kind of a poo poo head but I did my job well so whatever. Also for as much poo poo I gave VT he did stand up for me if anyone tried to write me up or mess with me.

There were definitely some shitheads across the board all over that ship. I did like the signs welcoming the new GM1 to the FCPOA after he got loving slammed and dropped a rank for loving that SH1. He kissed the right rear end in some way to get to stay in till retirement.

For those that might want some backstory, we had a GMC as our 3MC for a while on an all male ship in 2007. He was apparently nailing an SH3 on the regular. They started loving when he was just an SHSN. Dude was married to a chief on another boat out there. poo poo hits the fan and lost his anchors over it. It was taken as far as it could go, but they didn't separate him. They let stay in for another 2 years or so to hit his 20 and transferred him to a shore billet in Japan. His wife didn't care and didn't leave him which made me think she was a dyke and they were just married for convenience.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Pretty sure that's what got him in trouble to begin with.

I was about to post this but got sidetracked by sodomy.

nacirema
Nov 18, 2008
Funny thing is he made the entire class do Chinese field day for 2 hours before he has to let us go home. I was standing up when he snapped.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

nacirema posted:

Funny thing is he made the entire class do Chinese field day for 2 hours before he has to let us go home. I was standing up when he snapped.

I can't loving stand it when students sleep in class, and I'm a guy that has dropped all of his fucks and can't find them again. I mean staying awake during loving school is a basic adult thing to do.

loving corpsman.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

vulturesrow posted:

NSAWC or E2 Weapons School in Fallon? FRS duty is usually pretty good but I don't know how you feel about Norfolk.

E-2 weapons school. The FRS is a solid place to go career-wise, and a bunch of my friends are going there, but... yeah, Norfolk. Honestly, they've both got some pretty big upsides and downsides, so I'll just make the most of wherever I end up. I'm not much of an outdoorsy type, but that may change if I end up in Fallon. At the very least I'd be buying skis for the winter.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

nacirema posted:

The Navy is LITERALLY paying you to go to school. The least you could do is stay awake. You're an idiot.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yeah in the real world you kinda get fired for that like on the first time.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

nacirema posted:

Ahaha stay awake you turd. A-school is boring as poo poo but you are a grown rear end adult and unless you have a legit medical issue where you physically cannot stay awake, it is entirely on you. Especially if he warned you multiple times.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Can't really blame him. The navy has the uncanny ability to suck all the intrigue and discovery out of the learning process. I think it just has to do with the way they word things. Like, I have no idea what my eval bullet points actually say once a first class has gotten finished with them. Or stupid poo poo like stress hexagons or whatever the gently caress those slides were supposed to be in gmts. We spend so much time trying to show how smart we are, or put in so much work trying to cater to the lcd that we often forget to just get the loving point across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I had my own podium in power school.

• Locked thread