Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

MonsterEnvy posted:

Thats assuming Stone skin is on and Stone skin offers no protection from Fire damage so it's going to need to make a dc 45 check assuming average damage.

Lets check the hp of a 20th level wizard assuming 20 con. 182 that's a pretty good amount the fire will take off half of that and another round of attacks will take out the wizard. At best I see one lasting two turns alone.

Oh, 182? gently caress it, who needs stoneskin (or whatever spell gives you fire resistance, which I assume a wizard would actually be wearing if stoneskin doesn't stop elemental damage)? A wizard just tanks that. The dragon's fire breath + triple tail lash together deal like, 150ish, assuming all of them hit/don't get saved against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Alternatively, gently caress skeletons. Scry the dragon and turn into a copy of it with True Polymorph.

You now have the same statblock as it.

Proceed to fight it dragon vs dragon.

If it kills you, you transform back into a Wizard with a full complement of spells and HP.

If you kill it, it dies.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Don't you still get to cast spells while you're a dragon anyways?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

The broader take away from this discussion being that, even if a single wizard can conceivably have trouble soloing the dragon, the solution to her problem will never, ever, ever be "Add a fighter to the party".

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Jack the Lad posted:

If it kills you, you transform back into a Wizard with a full complement of spells and HP.

Oh my god this is beautiful.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

S.J. posted:

Don't you still get to cast spells while you're a dragon anyways?

If you use Shapechange instead of True Polymorph, yes.

I'm pretty sure this means you can:

1. Scry the dragon and True Polymorph into it.

2. The next day, go fight the dragon as an identical copy of itself. If it kills you, you turn back into a Wizard.

3. You then Shapechange into another copy of it and continue fighting dragon vs dragon, except now you can cast spells as a dragon.

4. If it kills you a second time, (i.e. it kills two copies of itself in immediate succession, one of which is also a Wizard. This won't happen) you turn back into a Wizard except you've spent your level 9 slot. But you still have all your other slots so it's pretty okay.

Bonus: Dragons are immune to their own breath weapons, so there's no way for the dragon to make the Concentration save on Shapechange (its one downside) higher than DC10, meaning you have literally a 99.8% chance to pass it.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 19, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Imagine the look on that stupid dragon's face when you use its lair gimmicks against it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Hang on, though - since the biggest kind of red dragon has 28 hit dice and presumably more than 20 CR, can you true polymorph or shapechange into it without being level 28 yourself?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Ferrinus posted:

Hang on, though - since the biggest kind of red dragon has 28 hit dice and presumably more than 20 CR, can you true polymorph or shapechange into it without being level 28 yourself?

No, I'm talking about a CR17 Adult Red Dragon. The Ancient Red Dragon is CR24.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Oh. So our plan for soloing the ancient is what, keeping some kind of fire resistance concentration spell up and just telling the skeletal longbowmen to let fly?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

Oh. So our plan for soloing the ancient is what, keeping some kind of fire resistance concentration spell up and just telling the skeletal longbowmen to let fly?

Resistance isn't enough to avoid being one shot by fire breath, so you just gotta use numbers and stuns, or swarm him with infinite zombies (using touch of death every day to generate a large supply)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Stormgale posted:

Resistance isn't enough to avoid being one shot by fire breath, so you just gotta use numbers and stuns, or swarm him with infinite zombies (using touch of death every day to generate a large supply)

Not at all - it deals 156 damage max, 91 average. We'd lose whatever we were concentrating on, but we're almost certainly not getting one-shot as level 20 wizards with even Con +3 or something, and definitely not getting one-shot if we have any source of fire resistance at all going when the breath hits, which, why wouldn't we?

Hell, we could Shapechange into a monster that's fire immune.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Sorry I meant for the skeleton brothers

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Probably easier to just seal it in it's lair and wait for it to die. He'll only have one 90' x 5' entrance tunnel (because of the Skeleton Fear), which the wizard can easily collapse and let oxygen starvation do the heavy lifting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ferrinus posted:

Not at all - it deals 156 damage max, 91 average. We'd lose whatever we were concentrating on, but we're almost certainly not getting one-shot as level 20 wizards with even Con +3 or something, and definitely not getting one-shot if we have any source of fire resistance at all going when the breath hits, which, why wouldn't we?

Hell, we could Shapechange into a monster that's fire immune.

Your forgeting about it's round of attacks and Fear radius. Also 146 is the average amount of hp a Wizard has with a + 3.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 19, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

None of those dragons legendary actions seem very legendary. Tail whip? Wing flaps? oh nooooo

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Your forgeting about it's round of attacks and Fear radius.

Also 146 is the average amount of hp a Wizard has with a + 3.

It can't do a round of attacks and breathe fire in the same turn. The ancient red dragon cannot on average one-shot a level 20 wizard, and definitely cannot one-shot a level 20 wizard who for instance has shapechanged into something fire immune, such as an adult red dragon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

S.J. posted:

None of those dragons legendary actions seem very legendary. Tail whip? Wing flaps? oh nooooo

The fact it can use them off turn is what is legendary.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ferrinus posted:

It can't do a round of attacks and breathe fire in the same turn. The ancient red dragon cannot on average one-shot a level 20 wizard, and definitely cannot one-shot a level 20 wizard who for instance has shapechanged into something fire immune, such as an adult red dragon.

Still Weaker then an Ancient Red. And you will have to save each time you get hit and eventually you will get a 1 and fail.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 19, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

The fact it can use them off turn is what is legendary.

I guess if you have a really low opinion of the word legendary

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

S.J. posted:

The first boss fights in Final Fantasies 4 thru 7 are very legendary.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

S.J. posted:

It's legendary because it's a powerful and legendary creature. Remember a round is 6 seconds so this poo poo is happening at really fast speeds.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's legendary because it's a powerful and legendary creature. Remember a round is 6 seconds so this poo poo is happening at really fast speeds.

Does it take legendary dumps? I mean I guess it probably would

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

MonsterEnvy posted:

Uhh, against the skeleton army, it's happening every 4 minutes on average. Hell, I can post faster than this dragon can flap its wings.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

When I think legendary boss action, I think of, I dunno, drawing down the moon and shattering the perceptions of all the participants in the combat, leaving them trapped in a maze of their own mind's creation, forcing the PCs to all swap character sheets with the person on their across from them as the fighter is now the magic, up is down, left is right, and evil is good, or exploiting the greed in the hearts of the party and leaving them wondering if perhaps the dragon is correct, and they should join it in ransacking the town alongside their new master, who could provide them with far more gold and magical treasure then they would ever hope to find on their own, or something. Those are just off the top of my head, I'm sure people could come up with better ones.

But, eh, flapping the wings real fast? I guess that's pretty legendary too. :shrug:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Still Weaker then an Ancient Red. And you will have to save each time you get hit and eventually you will get a 1 and fail.

Probably not in the actual span of time the fight takes, though, since the odds of rolling a 1 twice in a row are miniscule. Now, as an adult red, you're getting hit on a 2 by the ancient red's melee attacks so you're still on a fairly short clock, but you've got the entire spell list up to level 8 at your fingertips.

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic

Jack the Lad posted:

If you use Shapechange instead of True Polymorph, yes.

I'm pretty sure this means you can:

1. Scry the dragon and True Polymorph into it.

2. The next day, go fight the dragon as an identical copy of itself. If it kills you, you turn back into a Wizard.

Huh. I had interpreted "becomes permanent" on true polymorph not as "this spell's effect continues forever without concentration", but "this is now the true body for the target." Like, if you die, you die, and if you get rezzed, this is the body that comes back.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

seebs posted:

Huh. I had interpreted "becomes permanent" on true polymorph not as "this spell's effect continues forever without concentration", but "this is now the true body for the target." Like, if you die, you die, and if you get rezzed, this is the body that comes back.

Nope. When you get knocked to zero, any excess damage from the attack will go to your new (original) form, but unless that damage knocks you below zero again, you're fine.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
True Polymorph does not work on yourself anyway.

Also just learned that Dragons have innate spellcasting as a variant rule for them.

Guy whos owns MM posted:

A young or older dragon gets a number of spells equal to Chr mod. These are usable once per day. (There are a few sentences spelling out additional bits).

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I honestly don't understand why people are running to clamp down on cool stuff. Like, using shapeshifting to turn yourself into a final bossfight, only as a good guy? Cool stuff. Raising an army of skeletons to act like a proper pop-culture necromancer? Cool stuff. Turning into a dragon to fight a dragon? Cool, and frankly pretty mythical in and of itself.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Effectronica posted:

I honestly don't understand why people are running to clamp down on cool stuff. Like, using shapeshifting to turn yourself into a final bossfight, only as a good guy? Cool stuff. Raising an army of skeletons to act like a proper pop-culture necromancer? Cool stuff. Turning into a dragon to fight a dragon? Cool, and frankly pretty mythical in and of itself.
Because high-level D&D can be better than "look at all this poo poo wizards can do."

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

True Polymorph does not work on yourself anyway.

Please quote the rules text that says this.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

Because high-level D&D can be better than "look at all this poo poo wizards can do."

Well, the solution isn't to come up with ways to shut it down. Like, if the fighter could three-round solo a dragon with the same level of ease as a necromancer doing it, and that level of power was consistently applied across the classes, the game would be fine, with better monsters. As it is, the basic solution is going, from this thread, to be to shut down any wizard/cleric/druid/bard options that aren't just grinding away HP like this is a bossfight in a mediocre JRPG.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Effectronica posted:

As it is, the basic solution is going, from this thread, to be to shut down any wizard/cleric/druid/bard options that aren't just grinding away HP like this is a bossfight in a mediocre JRPG.

No, the solution is to get everyone to play as a wizard/cleric/druid/bard.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 19, 2014

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Effectronica posted:

Well, the solution isn't to come up with ways to shut it down. Like, if the fighter could three-round solo a dragon with the same level of ease as a necromancer doing it, and that level of power was consistently applied across the classes, the game would be fine, with better monsters. As it is, the basic solution is going, from this thread, to be to shut down any wizard/cleric/druid/bard options that aren't just grinding away HP like this is a bossfight in a mediocre JRPG.

Even if the fighter could put out Raw DPR the lack of martial ability to be declarative like spells (e.g. X just happens) will always limit it really.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

AlphaDog posted:

No, the solution is to get everyone to play as a wizard/cleric/druid/bard.

The solution being presented from people that want to play this game. The real solution is not to play NEXT/5e, and play something like 13th Age Glorantha or 4e or 3e Exalted when it comes out in 20 years.

Stormgale posted:

Even if the fighter could put out Raw DPR the lack of martial ability to be declarative like spells (e.g. X just happens) will always limit it really.

You get what I'm saying, though, right? The basic problem is that fighters are boring and the solution isn't to make all the classes on the same rough level of boring.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Effectronica posted:

The solution being presented from people that want to play this game. The real solution is not to play NEXT/5e, and play something like 13th Age Glorantha or 4e or 3e Exalted when it comes out in 20 years.

Heaps of people seem to be saying "play as an X, it can do this cool trick where..." (eg) it summons a skeleton army and turns itself into a dragon.

The "shut it down" is coming from people who don't want to admit that the game actively encourages (eg) skeleton armies and turning yourself into a dragon.

e: The game is badly designed to the point where you can do lots of wacky crap without really trying very hard, as long as you don't pick fighter or rogue. The solution (if you want to enjoy the game) is to house-ban the fighter and rogue and just let the game be about NECRO TEAM 6 assaulting the secret mountain lair of Rotendrachen The Red. I will play that game.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 19, 2014

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I actually really like the lair effects! Everything that's similar to an MMO mechanic isn't automatically bad. I think it adds a nice thematic element to the game, and gives a reason for adventurers to think about things like "do I really want to fight this dragon IN ITS LAIR?"

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

Not since people decided a wizard getting 5th level spells at 10 was one level too long but the fighter getting his own keep and personal army was too much bookkeeping/overpowered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm one of those people who doesn't really care for the solution to D&D's capability disparity between fighters and wizards to be "give the Fighter a bunch of hangers-on and a keep" because to me it just seems to be another outgrowth of the same mental roadblock that stems from not being able to imagine something fantastical that isn't the result of a guy in a pointy hat waving a wand. What's a legendary Fighter like? Eh, he has a bunch of guys with him I guess.