Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
The Probe, IMO, was one of those cars that didn't need to exist. They already had a cheap sports car that was miles ahead of the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, originally it was going to be the replacement for that (the Mustang), so it made business sense. Why they brought it out after those plans changed and they just refreshed the Fox-body instead we may never know.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Vehicle review: 201? Ford 20' box truck in U-Haul livery

Drives like poo poo, stops like poo poo, handles like poo poo and has a steering ratio that disturbed me. 6.8L V10 sounded like a diesel and returned a whopping 7mpg.

Do not recommend. :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just scored about 250 cassette tapes from a guy I met through work. He's a 45 year old original punk who 's clearing out his dragons horde of memorabilia hes collected since the late 70s. About a 50/50 split of old punk and thrash and hardcore and the rest is all metal and poo poo.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I just scored about 250 cassette tapes from a guy I met through work. He's a 45 year old original punk who 's clearing out his dragons horde of memorabilia hes collected since the late 70s. About a 50/50 split of old punk and thrash and hardcore and the rest is all metal and poo poo.

Relabel them as Awesome Mix Tape #2 and sell them off for huge profit.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Dude Stoner Witch is a sick album!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy poo poo we need more sheep games.

And cannonfodder, haha holy gently caress.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Well, originally it was going to be the replacement for that (the Mustang), so it made business sense. Why they brought it out after those plans changed and they just refreshed the Fox-body instead we may never know.

It was always at a lower price point and was interesting badge engineering at a time when it was easy for Ford.

It was never a great car, but they were fun for their time when they were new. I know I enjoyed the hell out of a friend's Probe when he got it. It was no Mustang, but it was fun. And it made up for straight line with suspension.

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Nice score. I am jealous.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Hanging out with a friend last night. He has no internet (or cable, or even an antenna for his TV), but I have 3GB of tethering included in my plan, so we fired up his laptop, I turned on tethering, and we watched a bunch of Family Guy on Netflix.

Did a speed test later..

:stonklol:

I did 3 tests, all similar (one was only 80mbit when I got near a window, I guess the tower is on the other side).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Fucknag posted:

Ehhh really besides the sheet-metal and interior most of the engineering work was already done by Mazda as the MX-6 / 2 door 626. It sold a bunch too so seems like a sound decision.

Reading Wikipedia though Ford really has gotten a lot of use out of Mazda platforms, especially the G platform.

edit: STR which telco do you have again?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

For mobile? T-Mobile. Currently on a grandfathered prepaid plan - $70/mo unlimited 4G data/voice/text/MMS, 3GB tethering. The current $70/mo is the same, but 4G is capped at 5 GB. $80 gets you the plan I have now, but with a little more tethering (5GB I think). I rarely tether, so no reason for me to upgrade - and I use more than enough data that I need the unlimited 4G plan.*

e: just looked online, they don't even show tethering as included on the $80 plan now. Odd.

They're FANTASTIC in major metro areas, absolute garbage in the sticks. They finally added tethering to prepaid plans though, along with national data (2G) roaming.

SMHS = shared mobile hotspot sharing (aka tethering). PDANet+, when used over USB with the proper client on the PC and with encryption on, does a good job of hiding tethering, but I haven't had to use that in ages.

e2: they have a special snowflake $30 plan that has 100 minutes and 5 GB @ 4G speeds for $30, but you have to either buy the SIM online (often a free or heavy discount coupon code is floating around), or go to Wal-Mart and buy the proper SIM for $40 ($10 for the SIM, $30 for the plan). And you have to activate online only. I tried to get by on that for awhile, but I use too many minutes (excess is 10c/min) and had a lot of trouble staying under 5GB/mo. Once you exceed the 5GB, you get capped @ basically ISDN speeds.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 18, 2014

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Coventry Festival of Motoring this weekend

http://www.festival-of-motoring.co.uk/default.aspx

I'm going down on the Sunday, I'd be up for a grabbing a pint with any goon who fancy going down

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Hanging out with a friend last night. He has no internet (or cable, or even an antenna for his TV), but I have 3GB of tethering included in my plan, so we fired up his laptop, I turned on tethering, and we watched a bunch of Family Guy on Netflix.

Did a speed test later..

:stonklol:

I did 3 tests, all similar (one was only 80mbit when I got near a window, I guess the tower is on the other side).

Congrats, you have the ability to chew up your monthly allotment of data in 4 minutes. Similarly, I can chew through my monthly allotment of "unlimited" (5GB) data before it throttles down to .25 mb/s via AT&T in 8.75 minutes because the cell tower is on our neighbors property. If providers got off their rear end and first pumped up their wireless system to handle the extra bandwidth load and secondly stop screwing with a metered system, they could own internet connectivity and there'd be no more need for a wired internet. I mean 1 gb from Google fiber is cool and all, but realistically I'm cool with anything above 25 mb at this point since I'm out in the country and pay $70 for 10/1 through a local wifi ptp which on the plus side is truly unlimited.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Just be glad you don't have Sprint!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Welp... went to the eye doctor for my ~4 year eye exam. Both eyes are only slightly worse ("half a click"). Measured my PD myself (it's not a huge deal if it's a few mm off on single vision lenses), so I can go off to zennioptical.com tomorrow after work to get some cheap glasses. Found some nice ones that'll add up to about $50 with the super uber no fingerprint/hydrophobic/antiglare coating. My current ones have pieces of paper clips acting as hinges.. :sigh: I could keep going with the current prescription, but I need new glasses badly... frames are hosed, lenses are pretty much done, and nobody is going to do a set on a 4 year old prescription.

That was my birthday gift to myself. :toot: Found out my lovely insurance knocked $10 off of the exam too!

keykey posted:

Congrats, you have the ability to chew up your monthly allotment of data in 4 minutes.

What is this "monthly allotment" thing you speak of? :colbert:

I get 3GB of tethering per month, but there's easy enough ways around that if I really need to get more (even on Android 4.4.4). It's unlimited 4G data on the phone itself or with PDANet+ over USB (all the other plans just cap you at ISDN speeds once you hit your 4G allotment).

I'm slacking a bit, usually I'm up to at least 7-8GB by now.

CharlesM posted:

Just be glad you don't have Sprint!

I did... for 11 years. It's been 1 year 9 months since I left them for T-Mobile. My only gripe is Sprint would work in the middle of nowhere, even (very slow) data... while T-Mobile is poo poo if you're in the sticks. That and T-Mobile's overnight CS is overseas and hard to understand (but at least they're 24/7).

A few days before I switched, LTE finally got switched on in my immediate area - I managed a whopping 3mbit down on a Sprint Galaxy Nexus.

I've never had a billing issue with T-Mobile, though I BYOD and so far I've stayed on prepaid (the only things postpaid offers that I'd prefer to have are conditional call forwarding - no Google Voice for me anymore - and the ability to have my name show up on landline caller ID instead of just "TEXAS"). It was always one thing or another with Sprint.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 19, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah I switched from them in December. I had a low price SERO plan but toward the end calls and then texts stopped working, so what's the point?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

You guys, newborns puts a lot of stress on all aspects of life and your relationship. Even if it's your second it doesn't make it any easier.

Carry on with misc chat.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I have SERO now and I feel like I spend more time on 3G than LTE at home, especially in the last few months

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

You guys, newborns puts a lot of stress on all aspects of life and your relationship. Even if it's your second it doesn't make it any easier.

Carry on with misc chat.

I feel that, but enjoy it. If it's your second, you remember that they're only babies for like a minute... then you have to deal with a kid... forever.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Previa_fun posted:

Vehicle review: 201? Ford 20' box truck in U-Haul livery

Drives like poo poo, stops like poo poo, handles like poo poo and has a steering ratio that disturbed me. 6.8L V10 sounded like a diesel and returned a whopping 7mpg.

Do not recommend. :v:

This sounds like my loving rover.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 207 days!)

cursedshitbox posted:

This sounds like my loving rover.

..only with the U-Haul logo replaced by Tom of Finland?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Viggen posted:

..only with the U-Haul logo replaced by Tom of Finland?

Ugh. I hate that look.

Besides. that oval office is 75% stripped. tomorrow morning the engine and lift comes off then the fuckers at pap come haul it away.

AI I NEED A NEW lovely 4X4.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

meatpimp posted:

I feel that, but enjoy it. If it's your second, you remember that they're only babies for like a minute... then you have to deal with a kid... forever.

After coming to terms with the idea of being a father I told my wife I want to stick with one (still a year+ off). She thinks only children turn into spoiled, lonely sociopaths; I'm worried that they'll turn into a gently caress up and I won't have a hot spare, but the attention demand and cost of two children seems overwhelming to me (I'm the youngest of three, as is my wife).

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cursedshitbox posted:

FROOT TRUCK

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

cursedshitbox posted:

Ugh. I hate that look.

Besides. that oval office is 75% stripped. tomorrow morning the engine and lift comes off then the fuckers at pap come haul it away.

Get the Just Empty Every Pocket with the 350/th350 :getin:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

This is why I don't plan on having kids any time soon (if ever) and the future spouse agrees with me on that as well.

I mean it could happen, I just don't see it any time soon. Plus we are getting to that age of "if it hasn't happened now, it most likely won't happen" area.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

cursedshitbox posted:

Ugh. I hate that look.

Lada Niva

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

blk posted:

After coming to terms with the idea of being a father I told my wife I want to stick with one (still a year+ off). She thinks only children turn into spoiled, lonely sociopaths; I'm worried that they'll turn into a gently caress up and I won't have a hot spare, but the attention demand and cost of two children seems overwhelming to me (I'm the youngest of three, as is my wife).

an heir and a spare

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Get the Just Empty Every Pocket with the 350/th350 :getin:

theres only enough room for one bottom in this house.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

cursedshitbox posted:

theres only enough room for one bottom in this house.

Old non-CJ jeeps are for cheap junkyard scrounging car nerds, you're safe. Wranglers on the other hand are expensive.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm getting neither. wifey has a TJ wrangler and gently caress that thing

-j10- or go home.
m715 optionally if I can find one that isn't a haggard pile of poo poo.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

cursedshitbox posted:

I hear you can get early Cayennes for basically nothing these days...can't get much shittier than a 12-year old V8-powered German SUV. Plus it would be hilarious to see one of those Porkers actually being used offroad in a meaningful way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh boy! We're renting a car this weekend and the most likely to be available model is a Nissan Versa!

AWESOME.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

Oh boy! We're renting a car this weekend and the most likely to be available model is a Nissan Versa!

AWESOME.

At least it gets good mileage.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

AWESOME.

It's not the worst car I've ever driven.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's not the worst car I've ever driven.

You obviously didn't get the CVT. Oh, wait, you like Subarus, right? :v:

My former roommates' Legacy had the worst non-CVT transmission in the universe.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Even with the CVT it still wasn't the worst car. I drove a 3-speed auto Firefly with no floors or exhaust for part of a winter.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Even with the CVT it still wasn't the worst car. I drove a 3-speed auto Firefly with no floors or exhaust for part of a winter.

I had a 3 speed 231 buick powered Oldsmobuick. 50,000lbs factory. Passed by semis in crawl uphill. Downhill, not that much better, unless it was for miles. Your crushed can fears were less pointy.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Yeah, I've got a Fusion booked with my upcoming week vac on Kauai. The alternatives weren't too exciting (Camry, Aveo, Cobalt) and gently caress paying over twice as much for a v6 Mustang.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

driving something... boring. Something that gets *gasp* good milage!!!1

..on a loving island. Good plan.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

AWESOME.

Yeah, I've got a Fusion booked with my upcoming week vac on Kauai. The alternatives weren't too exciting (Camry, Aveo, Cobalt) and gently caress paying over twice as much for a v6 Mustang. The girlfriend was all "I thought you'd want a Jeep!!" because I've been on a kick doing work to my XJ lately. Nope, Wranglers are like $800/week.
:pwn:

Sadly I am secretly looking forward to a weeklong break from my finicky, demanding, coolant-leaking, premium-fuel sucking stable (E46, 690SM, '88 XJ) and driving something... boring. Something that gets *gasp* good milage!!!1

• Locked thread