Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Into The Woods teaser just dropped. Probably one of my favorite musicals ever so I'm a bit excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QEW3u-bEtY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, if the Goofy Goober bit didn't moisten your eyes a bit, you're probably a soulless husk of a human being.
Yeah that absolutely destroyed as a kid. I think the only thing worse was a couple of scenes in the first Rugrats movie.

The Spongebob Movie is still pretty good family fun I mean this still makes me laugh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJrl3iUG9dc

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

TV's who's who of recent stars get together and recreate The Big Chill so much that they actually reference The Big Chill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGraucjOUGI

It looks great and I love this cast. In.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'm excited to see this "showcase" of Aubrey Plaza playing the same loving character she always plays.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh my god gently caress everything about this movie. It is everything I dislike about these kinds of movies smushed into one trailer. It is a talented cast though.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I want to punch that movie in it's stupid smug face.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Yuck, in a million different ways. Saying something is 'like The Big Chill' is not a compliment.

Also, Aubrey Plaza has a terrible face.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I most likely won't see it, but I love Max Greenfield so I hope it does okay :shobon:

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
No idea who Audrey Plaza is but that movie looks like horrendously generic shite. I'm sure there will be lots of self reflection after having to face some hard truths but at least they can all grow as people before the credits roll. Trash.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
With the amount of mass they put on you would think goons would love movies about growing people.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ozmunkeh posted:

No idea who Audrey Plaza is but that movie looks like horrendously generic shite. I'm sure there will be lots of self reflection after having to face some hard truths but at least they can all grow as people before the credits roll. Trash.

There was a blonde and a brunette, I guess she's one of them?

That movie would be much improved if they were starting to show being the jerks they are 1/3 into the movie, then there's an invasion by some country, like Canada, and they have to band together to fight them off. Not nearly enough movies take a hard left genre turn during them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Audry Plaza owns. Maybe not in this movie, or any movie... but on TV she shines.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

Audry Plaza owns. Maybe not in this movie, or any movie... but on TV she shines.

She's wonderful, she's like a funny Sarah Silverman. (Yes, I have seen her Silverman impression)

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

She's wonderful, she's like a funny Sarah Silverman. (Yes, I have seen her Silverman impression)

She was great in Safety Not Guaranteed but I may be the only one who liked that movie.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
No it was other people as well. It was a well-received film, it's just that films centering around sardonic, disaffected young female leads tend to get an "everyone knows it sucks" reputation on geeky Internet communities. See: Juno, where 95% of the complaints are about poo poo that happens in the first five minutes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bows1 posted:

She was great in Safety Not Guaranteed but I may be the only one who liked that movie.

Nah, I completely agree. I expected to not like that movie at all but it really surprised me, and Plaza nailed it.

Juno sucks rear end though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Sucks rear end...forever.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This is an alright opinion to have, and I trust you to be way ahead of the curve by having more data points than a hamburger phone.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jonny Angel posted:

This is an alright opinion to have, and I trust you to be way ahead of the curve by having more data points than a hamburger phone.

It's a relentlessly obnoxious script, and Young Adult aside, I really, really hate Jason Reitman.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't... I don't get it. You're engaging with the shortcomings of the film beyond "honest to blog". Who does that?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's a relentlessly obnoxious script, and Young Adult aside, I really, really hate Jason Reitman.

Aw, not a fan of Thank You for Smoking or Up in the Air?

You're right to say Young Adult is his best, it's one of the most underrated movies of the last 10 years. Theron was robbed when she didn't get nominated for anything.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Yoshifan823 posted:

You're right to say Young Adult is his best, it's one of the most underrated movies of the last 10 years. Theron was robbed when she didn't get nominated for anything.

Thank You for Smoking is great.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I was going to defend him but then I saw he was a producer on Jeff, Who Lives at Home. A film I despise.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

Haven't seen Up In The Air. Thank You For Smoking manages to skate by with "passable" due to some great performances and an... okay script, but I think the directing is so right-down-the-middle-lame as to drag the whole project down a few tiers. It's a film that really pats the audience on the back. And Juno is real bad.

But yeah, Young Adult is really great. It's almost hard to believe it's from the same director, let alone from the same screenwriter as Juno. Massively more mature in like every way.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 19, 2014

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Haven't seen Up In The Air. Thank You For Smoking manages to skate by with "passable" due to some great performances and an... okay script, but I think the directing is so right-down-the-middle-lame as to drag the whole project down a few tiers. It's a film that really pats the audience on the back. And Juno is real bad.

But yeah, Young Adult is really great. It's almost hard to believe it's from the same director, let alone from the same screenwriter as Juno. Massively more mature in like every way.

Juno was Reitman's second movie, and Cody's first, they've both massively improved since then.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

This looks like your pretty typical biopic, but it's also about Stephen Hawking so I'll probably see it anyway.

http://youtu.be/Salz7uGp72c

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It looks very pretty. I'll say that.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

This looks like your pretty typical biopic, but it's also about Stephen Hawking so I'll probably see it anyway.

http://youtu.be/Salz7uGp72c

It looks soooooooo typical for a biopic... but Eddie Redmayne was one of the only good parts of Les Mis so I'm interested.

Also yeah it looks real pretty.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

second-hand smegma posted:

Yuck, in a million different ways. Saying something is 'like The Big Chill' is not a compliment.

Also, Aubrey Plaza has a terrible face.

Calling it The Big Chill for millennials is even weirder since most of the actors themselves are not millennials.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The older ones are probably better labelled Gen X-ers, but they do definitely straddle the line. That is weird.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Pretty awesome looking R-rated sci-fi action movie starring Antonio Banderas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHg8lKk3vJo
Getting major District 9 vibes. Where did this come from and how have we heard nothing about it? Visually it looks great

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That looks rad as poo poo and I want to see it immediately. Also, i'll second the "How the hell did I not know about this?" question.

EDIT: Little bit of Blade Runner, District 9, I, Robot and Mass Effect. Goddamn. Awesome.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 21, 2014

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Yeah, that really looks like something special.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
I'm in on that. Looks fantastic. Very excited to see that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been seeing a lot of commercials for that new Pierce Brosnan movie The November Man and they're doing that thing where they're cutting different kinds of commercials almost making it look like a different movie. Like the most recent one I saw basically excised Olga Kurylenko.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Automata looks dope.

Also I feel like the November Man will be bad but I think I'll see it because Pierce Brosnan owns.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic

bullet3 posted:

Pretty awesome looking R-rated sci-fi action movie starring Antonio Banderas:

Well that was out of nowhere. Looks drat great. Let's see if I can whine more about this not being out yet than Fury Road!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rough Lobster posted:

Automata looks dope.

Also I feel like the November Man will be bad but I think I'll see it because Pierce Brosnan owns.

Last night on USA they were doing a hybrid commercial/interview with him and outside of movies he's looking old.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I don't know, I'm not quite sold on Automata. It looks... interesting. But it feels like a real B cast with some retread sci-fi concepts. Not that it automatically makes it a bad movie. But it just makes me more cautious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I, Robot Automata. To be honest I think another attempt at the source material isn't totally unwarrented.

• Locked thread