Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's the major plotline running in Batman Eternal.

He was manipulated into causing a huge subway crash. The case hasn't been solved yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's the major plotline running in Batman Eternal.

He was manipulated into causing a huge subway crash. The case hasn't been solved yet.

Ahhh thank you!

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

SalTheBard posted:

I really enjoyed Batman #34. The ending panel was really freaky though. I also have a quick question for the thread. For the New 52 Batman I've read: Court of Owls, Night of Owls, City of Owls and Death of the Family trades. I read Year Zero on an issue by issue basis. Maybe it's because I didn't start reading individual issues until Year Zero but why is Jim Gordon in jail?

You might want to check out Batman Eternal, the weekly series that started not too long ago.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The art on this weeks Batman really really really really reminded me of Sean Murphy and that isn't really a bad thing.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Veg posted:

You might want to check out Batman Eternal, the weekly series that started not too long ago.

I think if I added another book to my pull list my wife might kill me but I'll give it a shot.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Batman Solicits

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm crossing my fingers so hard for the new Catwoman run.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

SalTheBard posted:

I think if I added another book to my pull list my wife might kill me but I'll give it a shot.

It's a weekly, so technically you'd be adding four.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Grayson cover is great, but is Seeley the sole author for real?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Was Taters posted:

He has been for the first two issues.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

bobkatt013 posted:

He has been for the first two issues.

No he hasn't.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Was Taters posted:

According to the solicit it is being written with Tom King

solicit posted:

GRAYSON #4
Written by TIM SEELEY and TOM KING
Art and cover by MIKEL JANIN
Lego Variant cover
On sale NOVEMBER 5 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Grayson travels deeper into the organized chaos that is SPYRAL! Can he keep track of all the lies? Or will he fall apart once he can no longer tell fact from fiction?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Ahh. I think they're doing that obnoxious 'written by' 'plotted by' BS thing.

edit: That solicit's been edited though, because that was where my original question came from.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

HitTheTargets posted:

It's a weekly, so technically you'd be adding four.

That might be divorce territory :P

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I haven't been terribly into Eternal but this:

has me so on board

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Was Taters posted:

Ahh. I think they're doing that obnoxious 'written by' 'plotted by' BS thing.

edit: That solicit's been edited though, because that was where my original question came from.

Technically King is the book's spy consultant, since he worked for the CIA for, I think, about a decade. But he's done other comic stuff & is at least cowriting here, so it'd be kinda lovely if he got left out of the solicits.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

TwoPair posted:

has me so on board

Eternal is honestly the only weekly that has me considering getting trades of it later.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

TwoPair posted:

has me so on board

Okay that has me interested in picking it up.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
gently caress, I might have to pick up B&R tomorrow:

Bruce's still a prick though.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Is Batman saying he knows about Spyral's cafeteria?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

HitTheTargets posted:

Is Batman saying he knows about Spyral's cafeteria?

I was going to ask the same thing.

I'm imagining a lot of cinnamon buns...

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

gently caress, I might have to pick up B&R tomorrow:

Is that in a preview?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The whole point of this issue was him making peace with the rest of the batfamily, and saying that he will be more honest with them.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

The whole point of this issue was him making peace with the rest of the batfamily, and saying that he will be more honest with them.

The effort is kind of meanigless when he's still keeping Dick's status secret. The issue itself was solid but Tomasi needs to stop trying to reference everything on his stories since doing that opens a lot of plot holes and contradictions. The highlight were Lex and Bruce interactions and Gleason's stellar art.

Eternal was stupid and I cringed at the whole "spoiler alert" at the end. Batwoman started good but went off the rails at the end, nice art on the opening pages though.

And Red Hood was loving AWESOME if with some sloppy art.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The effort is kind of meanigless when he's still keeping Dick's status secret. The issue itself was solid but Tomasi needs to stop trying to reference everything on his stories since doing that opens a lot of plot holes and contradictions. The highlight were Lex and Bruce interactions and Gleason's stellar art.

Eternal was stupid and I cringed at the whole "spoiler alert" at the end. Batwoman started good but went off the rails at the end, nice art on the opening pages though.

And Red Hood was loving AWESOME if with some sloppy art.

I can't wait for Gleeson to draw the poo poo out of Apokolips in the next few issues and that awesome Bat Armor. Batman and __________ has been the most consistent book for me since this whole 52 reboot started.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

To be fair, what's the other option? Bruce giving some other reason for the family to like him again? Simply ignoring that Dick is actually alive? I just pit it together with next month's bullshit Future's End issue where it's external stuff that brings the book down a bit.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

To be fair, what's the other option? Bruce giving some other reason for the family to like him again? Simply ignoring that Dick is actually alive? I just pit it together with next month's bullshit Future's End issue where it's external stuff that brings the book down a bit.

Well is just that is very hypocrital on his part to claim "no more secrets" and yet, keeping the biggest secret of all on Dick being alive. You just know that it will come down the line to break the bat family AGAIN.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Just finished v1 of Batman 66 based on the glowing recommendations in this thread. Am I the only one really not blown away by it? The art was all fantastic, but the writing just wasn't particularly interesting or witty.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

Just finished v1 of Batman 66 based on the glowing recommendations in this thread. Am I the only one really not blown away by it? The art was all fantastic, but the writing just wasn't particularly interesting or witty.
I got tired of it pretty quick myself.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Brocktoon posted:

Unlike the folks who write massive arcs that are better in trade than they can ever hope to be in singles, this is definitely best consumed monthly. It needs that resting period, or it's overload.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Was Taters posted:

Unlike the folks who write massive arcs that are better in trade than they can ever hope to be in singles, this is definitely best consumed monthly. It needs that resting period, or it's overload.

I agree. While I love Batman '66 to death, it's definitely not something to read in trade. You need at least a few days, if not weeks, between issues. Then it's wonderful.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I agree. While I love Batman '66 to death, it's definitely not something to read in trade. You need at least a few days, if not weeks, between issues. Then it's wonderful.

It's the perfect way to cool down after something really dark.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

The Action Man posted:

It's the perfect way to cool down after something really dark.

Exactly, the best thing to read in between the regular Bat Family issues/trades.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hello, I have a problem. I know stuff about Batman, but I haven't read any comics since the 90s. I also have this thing where I don't give a poo poo about other super heroes that aren't Batman. Is there a good comic I can read that is just about Batman with no other superheroes? Bonus points if it features Scarecrow or Solomon Grundy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Does that exclude his Batman family of heroes? Outside of Justice League and Batman/Superman, he doesn't really interact with the super people.

I cant think of any recent good appearances of those villains outside of Solomon in the opening arc of Earth 2.

Scott Snyder's current 'Batman' is excellent and Bruce is usually solo in it. I'd try that first.
Snyder's previous Detective Comics run 'The Black Mirror' http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Black-...k+mirror+snyder was great too.

I loved Grant Morrison's big Batman story, which went from 2006-2013. It starts in this trade http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Son-Ne...+batman+and+son introducing his son as Robin. It eventually goes into the really fun 'Batman and Robin' where Dick Grayson takes over as Batman and 'Batman Incorporated' where Bruce sets up an International Batman franchise of heroes.

I like the current weekly series 'Batman Eternal', but it focuses on everybody if you really want to avoid Batgirl, Batwoman, Red Hood, Red Robin and all that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 22, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gotham Academy promo sheets from Becky Cloonan.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Gotham Academy promo sheets from Becky Cloonan.

It might be just because Cloonan did the art on both series but I'm gettin serious Killjoys vibes from those.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Eternal spoilers

Bard is working for Hush

Meh, I wish Snyder and Tynion would wrote a good guy with out turning him evil as twist.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Eternal spoilers

Bard is working for Hush

Meh, I wish Snyder and Tynion would wrote a good guy with out turning him evil as twist.

Its not that shocking. They were hinting at that for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Hi! So I'm pretty sure this was covered in the thread before, but I didn't actually catch the consensus answer. I'm about to finish up Grant Morrison's Batman/etc run. (Well, maybe 10 issues to go.) What should I read next? I'm pretty sure I want to read Snyder, but should I read his Detective Comics stuff (people really like Black Mirror--does it stand alone?), or post-New-52?

I'm excited by all the good response to Zero Year, and I'd like to read that, but don't know if I should read earlier Snyder Batman (Court of Owls etc?) first. Also, I really am not clear on how important tie-in issues are for events like "Death of the Family" and "Court of Owls" (also, not sure how good those are compared to "Zero Year" or Morrison Batman). I'm generally an author-driven comics reader, and I'd prefer not to read comics not by the primary architect of a story if possible, but I'm not clear on DC's "event" structure and whether I'll be hampering my enjoyment by doing so.

(I tried to Google these answers, but didn't get any definitive-sounding info.)

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions!

• Locked thread