Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

DoLittle posted:

That's just some photoshop special commissioned by the magazine. No photos have been published/leaked from Fiat/Alfa.

However in may they did discuss their future engine range. Basically it is three turbo gasoline engines and two turbodiesels with varying outputs.

I'd guess:
- 1.4 4 cyl, 120-180 hp (Fiat/Alfa 1.4 multiair)
- 1.75 4 cyl, 170-330 hp (the 4C/Giulietta QV engine with different boost levels)
- 3.0-4.0 6 cyl with 400-520 hp. (Ghibli has a 3.0 330-410 hp six, enlarged or more boost?)

If I had to guest, I would say more boost as I've heard that this twice-blown V6 is some sort of "Ferrari-sourced" engine, whatever that means. Anyway, Ferrari seems to be on a bit of kick using lower-displacement engines with turbos; the Cali T and upcoming 458t are evidence of that.

Oh by the way, the 458t has +100 hp on the regular 458 and gently caress knows how much more torque:
http://youwheel.com/tag/ferrari-458t/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Everybody is going to smaller displacement turbo engines except, for some reason, the japanese.

I guess the japanese just don't understand turbo technology :smuggo:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Obviously, seeing as they havent made a single turbo motor yet that was any good.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Obviously, seeing as they havent made a single turbo motor yet that was any good.
What was the last good single turbo engine the Japanese made?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

ilkhan posted:

What was the last good single turbo engine the Japanese made?

Mazdaspeed 3 and Subaru has a couple...

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Powershift posted:

It's on the same platform as the lincoln MKC, which uses the 2.3 ecoboost out of the mustang, and is awd.

A 300hp awd transit connect would be the best minivan ever.

There's a black MKC that parks near me occasionally, and every time I see it all I can think is that it looks like a prop from a Marilyn Manson music video circa 2001.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Mazdaspeed 3

Dont those have a habit of grenading themselves?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

D C posted:

This is the first I've heard of this. But, early models are getting up there in mileage, so maybe the :rice: crowd has been destroying them with cheap mods.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You may be thinking of the Mazdaspeed Protege.

edit: Also, something about a joke.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

D C posted:

Only if poorly modded.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

This ones quite zippy, seems to be flying over a lot of heads :v:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
It's all part of their plan to become the new GM/Dodge.

Flash forward 2027: the entire C level of Honda and Toyota commit ritual suicide after the Japanese parliament votes to bailout their bloated inefficient too big to fail car company. In the note signed by all the executives there is a single word:

Shouri

Edit: Mazda is ford. Accepts no buyouts and makes great hot hatches.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

It's all part of their plan to become the new GM/Dodge.

Flash forward 2027: the entire C level of Honda and Toyota commit ritual suicide after the Japanese parliament votes to bailout their bloated inefficient too big to fail car company. In the note signed by all the executives there is a single word:

Shouri

Edit: Mazda is ford. Accepts no buyouts and makes great hot hatches.

Can't wait for the 700hp supercharged honda.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Powershift posted:

Can't wait for the 700hp supercharged honda.

Probably not, but the 300 hp turbocharged Civic Type R is certainly on its way just not to North America! It's like they learned nothing from Nissan's success with the GT-R.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/civic/85978/honda-civic-type-r-2015-price-release-date-and-specs

The rest of us will just have to be content with that engine showing up in an S2000 replacement that's possibly mid-engined.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/honda-mulling-s2000-replacement-that-would-be-nothing-like-the-original/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Probably not, but the 300 hp turbocharged Civic Type R is certainly on its way just not to North America! It's like they learned nothing from Nissan's success with the GT-R.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/civic/85978/honda-civic-type-r-2015-price-release-date-and-specs

The rest of us will just have to be content with that engine showing up in an S2000 replacement that's possibly mid-engined.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/honda-mulling-s2000-replacement-that-would-be-nothing-like-the-original/

That'll go great with the new NSX which is going to be an accord platform backwards, and coming out some time in 2009.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 24, 2019

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CharlesM posted:

You may be thinking of the Mazdaspeed Protege.

edit: Also, something about a joke.

I'll have you know that the 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege has the finest engine technology that 1984 can provide.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Extra posted:

Is there a federal mandate that all new cars must have really obnoxious lower/fog light housings that are ugly as sin? Or do the vast majority of consumers just have such poo poo taste that those are somehow attractive to them.

Toyota should have brought back the MR-S, since they were dumb enough not to I'm glad Honda might instead.

Considering the veloster has only sold 17K units this year and 30k the past 2 years I don't blame them. I'm guessing it would sell better in markets where performance modifications to old cars weren't so widely legal and encouraged.

But the Veloster looks stupid as hell. My wife and I laugh at them every time we see one.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I expect many people are tired of Hellcat Chat, but I did find this :black101:

Torque News posted:

Motor Trend took the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat with the new heavy duty 8-speed TorqueFlite automatic transmission to K&N Engineering’s dyno in Riverside California to see how true the power numbers are for this brawny Mopar muscle car. With stated figures of 707 horsepower and 650lb-ft of torque, the Hellcat Hemi makes the Challenger (and the Charger) the most powerful American production car ever while also ranking 6th when compared to every other current production car in the world so with claims like that – you know that someone would be getting a Hellcat powered Challenger to the dyno in a hurry.

Well, Motor Trend appears to be the first publication to put the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat on the rollers and not only did it prove those numbers – it blew them away.

The Hellcat Challenger put down 635 horsepower and 591lb-ft of torque to the rear wheels with the automatic transmission. The industry norm for calculating engine horsepower at the crankshaft based on drivetrain loss is 15% and if 635 horsepower is “only” 85% of the Hellcat Hemi’s actual power output – the engine is making closer to 747 horsepower. Using that same math for the torque output, 591lb-ft would be about 85% of 695…although considerably higher than the 650lb-ft of torque that Chrysler claims. If those power figures were official, the Challenger SRT Hellcat would pack more horsepower than the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta and the Lamborghini Veneno and in terms of torque – no other production car in the world could rival 695lb-ft.

:getin:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Aren't most press cars ringers anyway, specifically to get this kind of extra hype when they get put though their paces? Impressive none the less.

Even still, I am really happy that thing exists. Whoever said that the golden years of muscle cars are over, needs to raise their eyes from the morning newspaper. Just wow.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I can't wait to go to muscle car shows in 30 years and so my children can hear about sennet hunnert horsepower and breaking the tires loose in 6th BACK IN THE DAY

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I think the "it blew them away" is a bit of a bold statement considering "the industry norm" assumption of 15% drivetrain loss. Maybe they could have used a dyno where they measure the drivetrain loss. If it's a 10% loss it would be right on the money.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DoLittle posted:

I think the "it blew them away" is a bit of a bold statement considering "the industry norm" assumption of 15% drivetrain loss. Maybe they could have used a dyno where they measure the drivetrain loss. If it's a 10% loss it would be right on the money.

Honest question - how would you even be able to do that without removing the engine?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

El Scotch posted:

I expect many people are tired of Hellcat Chat, but I did find this :black101:

:getin:

The SL65 actually has more torque than that despite being limited. Then again, it also costs something like 180k sooooo

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Honest question - how would you even be able to do that without removing the engine?

By measuring the torque during coast down with clutch disengaged. It is not perfect, because loading on the gears and tyres is different under load and during coast down, but much much better than "industry standard 15%". Just changing the tyre pressure causes a significant change in the drivetrain loss.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

IOwnCalculus posted:

No way to do that that I know of. Unless you could measure input shaft torsion to the trans. Or maybe trans and diff temperature differentials and extrapolate.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The 2013 GT500 was dynoed at 595hp and 603 ft/lb to the wheels, granted that was a manual transmission car and different dyno, different day, etc.

i don't think the 15% drivetrain loss is reasonable when you get up into those power numbers.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Extra posted:

Is there a federal mandate that all new cars must have really obnoxious lower/fog light housings that are ugly as sin? Or do the vast majority of consumers just have such poo poo taste that those are somehow attractive to them.

Toyota should have brought back the MR-S, since they were dumb enough not to I'm glad Honda might instead.

Considering the veloster has only sold 17K units this year and 30k the past 2 years I don't blame them. I'm guessing it would sell better in markets where performance modifications to old cars weren't so widely legal and encouraged.

That's a Hyundai problem though. Honda could move Civic Type R's no problem based on their past history

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Powershift posted:

The 2013 GT500 was dynoed at 595hp and 603 ft/lb to the wheels, granted that was a manual transmission car and different dyno, different day, etc.

i don't think the 15% drivetrain loss is reasonable when you get up into those power numbers.

Yeah, the 15% rule never made much sense. The drag from a drive train is fixed, regardless of the power the engine makes. If you supercharge a car, the drive train doesn't magically become heavier and take more energy to power.

edit:spelling

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 21, 2014

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Extra posted:

Note that spoilered part I had there - the CTR is p-much Honda's Skyline GT-R. Something that was never sold in North America for which fervent demand exists and yet was unavailable.

In other words, this:

Nodoze posted:

That's a Hyundai problem though. Honda could move Civic Type R's no problem based on their past history

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 24, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Something that was never sold in North America for which fervent demand exists and yet was unavailable.

Everyone who ever says "I'd buy that if it were sold here!" never actually does, or buys it when it's on the used market. Automakers have learned not to trust a bunch of people on the internet and instead look at actual sales data instead of losing their rear end to appease a select few who actually put their money where their mouth is.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Note that spoilered part I had there - the CTR is p-much Honda's Skyline GT-R. Something that was never sold in North America for which fervent demand exists and yet was unavailable.

In other words, this:

Demand among 17 year old kids is not the same thing as sales.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Larrymer posted:

Everyone who ever says "I'd buy that if it were sold here!" never actually does, or buys it when it's on the used market. Automakers have learned not to trust a bunch of people on the internet and instead look at actual sales data instead of losing their rear end to appease a select few who actually put their money where their mouth is.

Well by the time the car makes it here it's usually overpriced for its market and watered down in some way compared to what the rest of the globe gets.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Coredump posted:

Well by the time the car makes it here it's usually overpriced for its market and watered down in some way compared to what the rest of the globe gets.

That's because the rest of the globe pays a whole lot more for cars than we do in the US and has often has way less variety, which makes a $40k-equivalent Honda Civic somewhat less ridiculous.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Cream_Filling do you like replying to my posts?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

oRenj9 posted:

Yeah, the 15% rule never made much since. The drag from a drive train is fixed, regardless of the power the engine makes. If you supercharge a car, the drive train doesn't magically become heavier and take more energy to power.

I'm not sure if it's right but I always assumed it was from frictional losses from gear meshing. An engine making 1000lbft of force is going to be applying 10x more load to the gear faces than an engine with 100lbft. Given that gears are sliding past eachother, you'd also see 10x more force required to slide the gears faces past eachother.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

oRenj9 posted:

Yeah, the 15% rule never made much since. The drag from a drive train is fixed, regardless of the power the engine makes. If you supercharge a car, the drive train doesn't magically become heavier and take more energy to power.

This article goes through the various reasons why that line of reasoning is flawed, and makes a good argument as to what actually goes into consideration when thinking of drivetrain losses. It's a pretty short article so it's worth the read.

http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-1005-drivetrain-power-loss/viewall.html

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I thought supercharges increased loss because it's using power to generate more power. Which, conceptually, I find really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Larrymer posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Demand among 17 year old kids is not the same thing as sales.

Has Nissan had trouble moving GT-R's? As a closer corollary, does VW have trouble moving the Golf R? Why would a CTR be that much more difficult?