Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
http://mmajunkie.com/2014/08/scott-coker-bellator-moving-to-monthly-events-in-2015-spike-tv-to-remain-focus

quote:

Bellator will kick off its 11th season at Bellator 123 on Sept. 5 in Connecticut, wrapping up lightweight and light-heavyweight tournaments from the 10th season before a season finale in mid-November that could feature a welterweight bout between Melvin Manhoef and Paul Daley, Coker said.

Manhoef is scheduled to fight Doug Marshall at Bellator 125 and will need to win in order to receive an offer for Daley, Coker added.

please, Doug "Rhino" Marshall, please do your best to get extremely knocked out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Can Manhoef make 170? I know Daley generally can't.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Also from that Scott Coker interview, Eddie Alvarez sounds like he's going through more negotiation hell. Basically, Coker doesn't plan on going back to PPV anytime soon and we can guess that Eddie's contract stipulates PPV fights, which is why the "lawyers are talking it over." It's a shame that Eddie should have/would have fought like 5 times over the last two years but instead it will only have been once because of all this other bullshit.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I wasn't following this thread for a while, when did Coker take over Bellator?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dangersim posted:

I wasn't following this thread for a while, when did Coker take over Bellator?

Pretty much immediately as soon as his non-compete with UFC expired

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Was he working for the UFC in some way or was he not doing anything once Strikeforce was absorbed?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Dangersim posted:

Was he working for the UFC in some way or was he not doing anything once Strikeforce was absorbed?

Bald Man Shout Times understudy

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

What's Bjorn up too? Is he in prison? I hope he's in prison.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dangersim posted:

He ran the company comedy troupe but no one really understood why he called it the Propaniacs.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Is bellator just strikeforce 2.0 now except without all the interesting fighters?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

gimpsuitjones posted:

Is bellator just strikeforce 2.0 now except without all the interesting fighters?

Basically. First order of business was to shitcan tournaments and move to superfights.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Strikeforce owned though

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dangersim posted:

I think the buyout included him having a job for a certain period of time and as soon as that was up he was gone

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
Scott Coker is thinking about bringing Mayhem into the fold. You know, only if he's mentally okay now.

You definitely want to sign the guy on a two fight losing streak who hasn't fought in 2 years, is on the wrong side of 30, and might randomly decide to get naked at any moment.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/8/18/6032873/scott-coker-mayhem-miller-to-bellator-is-worth-a-conversation

Agent Tough Juice fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 19, 2014

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Scott Coker being a moron should come as no surprise to anyone.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Bellator will be a Zuffa property in 18 months.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Could they be liable at that point for an anti-trust lawsuit?

If I remember correctly (and I probably don't) some people brought that up when they bought Strikeforce but the response was "hey don't worry there's still Bellator".

I mean, I guess there's WSOF but I'd be nervous about buying Bellator even if it's awful and needs to be bought up.

But then again nobody gives a poo poo about NFL,MLB,NHL,NBA,etc.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
They wouldn't have a monopoly though even if they did buy Bellator.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Buying Strikeforce made sense from a pure talent perspective. How many fighters would you say that are in Bellator could conceivably be of the same caliber?

Hardly any, man.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Joey Beltran needs to be back in the UFC.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

-Atom- posted:

Buying Strikeforce made sense from a pure talent perspective. How many fighters would you say that are in Bellator could conceivably be of the same caliber?

Hardly any, man.

Ben Saunders obviously

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Didn't be get resigned already anyways

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Doesn't the Viacom factor make this extremely unlikely?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChampRamp posted:

Doesn't the Viacom factor make this extremely unlikely?

If Spike decides the key demo numbers aren't worth the losses or they decide to rebrand it could happen. It's not as unlikely as it seems.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

-Atom- posted:

Hardly any, man.

Ahem, there's one man who would make the purchase worth it

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

willie_dee posted:

Ahem, there's one man who would make the purchase worth it

Goiti Yamauchi

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think they could get 3 low-tier HW out of cannibalizing Bellator's corpse.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

CommonShore posted:

I think they could get 3 low-tier HW out of cannibalizing Bellator's corpse.

Robert Emerson-Ian McCall superfight.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Dudes in Bellator what should be in UFC:

HW - JT, Those Russians, Blagoi, Mighty Mo, Manny Lara
LHW - Newton, RezDog
MW - Shlemenko :smith:
WW - Koreskov, MVP
LW - Alvarez, Chandler, Brooks, Caveman, Pole Harris
FW - Curran, Pitbull, Frodo, Shamwow
BW - Edward Dentist

Dudes in WSoF what should be in UFC:

HW - The Meh-Man (Destroyer of Rolles), I Heart Huckabas
LHW - Tyrone Sponge, Kalib Starnes
MW - Filho
WW - Burk-Man, JAKE SHIELDS
LW - Gaethje, Newell, Dugulubgov
FW -
BW - Marlin More rear end
WSW - JAG

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

LobsterMobster posted:

Dudes in Bellator what should be in UFC:

HW - JT, Those Russians, Blagoi, Mighty Mo, Manny Lara
LHW - Newton, RezDog
MW - Shlemenko :smith:
WW - Koreskov, MVP
LW - Alvarez, Chandler, Brooks, Caveman, Pole Harris
FW - Curran, Pitbull, Frodo, Shamwow
BW - Edward Dentist

HW - The Meh-Man (Destroyer of Rolles), I Heart Huckabas
LHW - Tyrone Sponge, Kalib Starnes
MW - Filho
LW - Gaethje, Newell, Dugulubgov
FW -
BW - Marlin More rear end
WSW - JAG

No Fitch?

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

Edit: I can't read.

Agent Tough Juice fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 19, 2014

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Why would you ever say you want Kalib Starnes back, even jokingly?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

The way he perceives time, he's always in the UFC.

Bluedeanie posted:

Why would you ever say you want Kalib Starnes back, even jokingly?

Because now he's fat and would be a fine addition to supper/trashweight

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Mighty Mo is funny but he absolutely should not be in the UFC and that he's managed to get wins in Bellator is kind of a testament to how lovely their HW division is.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

attackmole posted:

Mighty Mo is funny but he absolutely should not be in the UFC and that he's managed to get wins in Bellator is kind of a testament to how lovely their HW division is.

He is the Samoan submission machine

world b lee
Feb 1, 2006
Is it a frog? Is it a toad?
I will be forever thankful for Mighty Mo vs Peter Graham. Forever.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

world b lee posted:

I will be forever thankful for Mighty Mo vs Peter Graham. Forever.

How soon the world forgets mighty mo vs kaoklai.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

LobsterMobster posted:

MW - Filho

Filho being in WSOF is functionally identical to Filho being in the UFC, in that he won't actually show up to fight at either event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Filho being in WSOF is functionally identical to Filho being in the UFC, in that he won't actually show up to fight at either event

I don't know what I want more, Heidi Androl asking Filho questions, or Filho asking other fighters questions back stage