Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Well they mostly just hovered...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaNdl1kbNzA

After seeing the next time on, my wild theory is that Sookie is going to request Bill turn her to Vampire in exchange for him not letting himself die, and the grave he dug in the Compton graveyard plot is actually for her, and she'll wake up and pop fangs and that's the final scene of the entire show.

Episode 9 is entitled "Love is to Die". Sookie at this point has already forgiven Bill for whatever stuff he's blamed himself for. Sookie mentions off-cuff to Eric how enjoyable it is to fly over the city romanticizing the notion of doing it herself.

I feel like 75% certain at this point.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

nooneofconsequence posted:

Sophie Anne and Bill flew when they fought.

I think it was implied to be a power you gain as you get older.

Pam also flew last season when she and Eric were in the Thunderdome. It really just does not make sense how these Yakuza dickheads are making Pam and Eric look like bitches right now.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The rule is the as the one in DBZ, you just have to learn flying. You learn faster if you are Gohan's gf.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

whatever7 posted:

The rule is the as the one in DBZ, you just have to learn flying. You learn faster if you are Gohan's gf.

I'm a way it does make sense. Just like how Jessica had to learn to glamour.

Could you imagine the first Vamp to do it? "I'm so angry and now I seem to be slightly floating above the ground, huh"

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Libertine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaNdl1kbNzA

After seeing the next time on, my wild theory is that Sookie is going to request Bill turn her to Vampire in exchange for him not letting himself die, and the grave he dug in the Compton graveyard plot is actually for her, and she'll wake up and pop fangs and that's the final scene of the entire show.

Episode 9 is entitled "Love is to Die". Sookie at this point has already forgiven Bill for whatever stuff he's blamed himself for. Sookie mentions off-cuff to Eric how enjoyable it is to fly over the city romanticizing the notion of doing it herself.

I feel like 75% certain at this point.

That sounds horrible but still better than the "Sookie's magic fairy vagina turns Bill back into a human" that people were speculating about earlier.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Slightly Toasted posted:

Sophie Anne and Bill aren't that old though?

Comparatively of course

In the books it was more related to who was your maker. Some could, and all the vampires they made could as well. Godric could, Eric could, and eventually Pam and Tara would be able to as well.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

joebuddah posted:

You know who had an arc? Noah!

Not a lot of Sopranos fans in here I guess.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

smg77 posted:

That sounds horrible but still better than the "Sookie's magic fairy vagina turns Bill back into a human" that people were speculating about earlier.

that rumor was from someone claiming to be an extra on set, and so far looks to be totally accurate. Sorry.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

TheBizzness posted:

that rumor was from someone claiming to be an extra on set, and so far looks to be totally accurate. Sorry.

They really are trying to outdo the Dexter finale. :smithicide:

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Just binged the season. I haven't watched last years since it aired, but I thought they were building up to a big all out war between humans and vampires? Did that get written, at which point HBO realized that was going to be expensive and people were going to watch anyways, so they switched it to 9 episodes of people being sad that they were sick? Such a weird, boring season. Every episodes has good scenes, but as a whole they're just not fun.

Also, Eric's hairline is not much longer for this world.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I just wanted to be in the writers room when they decided "you know what our fans want more of for the final season, Tara's mom and Hoyt/Jessica drama"

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

socialsecurity posted:

I just wanted to be in the writers room when they decided "you know what our fans want more of for the final season, Tara's mom and Hoyt/Jessica drama"

I think it's more about closing out the series-long storylines.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

wordsauce posted:

Or in this case reopening perfectly concluded storylines in the last season and needing to rush them closed again

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
It kind of feels like they had a movie's worth of ideas and stretched it to a season.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This season is just a victory lap. They've gone out of their way to do call backs and references to everything they can. They even had Bill say his old timey "May I call on you" line from the first few episodes like 5 times. It was endearing at first when they brought back Fairy Gramps and Fangtasia and the Magistrate, but it's gotten old now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's basically a 10 hour epilogue.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Well whatever it is, it certainly isn't good.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

This season is just a victory lap. They've gone out of their way to do call backs and references to everything they can. They even had Bill say his old timey "May I call on you" line from the first few episodes like 5 times. It was endearing at first when they brought back Fairy Gramps and Fangtasia and the Magistrate, but it's gotten old now.

Like somebody else pointed out earlier in the thread it's just depressing that the writers knew that this would be the last season and had plenty of time to plan for it and this is the result. True Blood has never been good television but it used to be a lot of fun...this season seems like everybody is just bored and going through the motions.

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014
So I was kinda enjoying the last season. It sure wasn't as good as the first few, but definitely not as bad as the later ones. TIll i made the mistake of opening this thread and reading all these comments bursting my bubble and realising it actually is kind of a lovely season. Goddamnit! ):

Im secretely hoping on a Eric Epilogue/Prologue SPin-Off, you guys reckon the chances of that are more, or less that 1/1000?

PaulDirac fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 19, 2014

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

Norse Code posted:

I hate pretty much every character in this show now, except for Lafayette and Andy. Andy at least makes me laugh, he is just so grumpy!

I love Andy. Pig!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V4gcChNMp9c

If memory serves, a goon made this.

Between Andy with his pig call outs and the way he says, "diet coke with liiiiiimmme" I could watch him all day. And Pam and LaLa of course.

"It's diet coke with lime". https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1b-xm31PC1w

yippeekiyaymf fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 20, 2014

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

wordsauce posted:

The Hoyt thing was sealed and done seasons ago. Tara's mom had no reason to come back either Tara dying was something new to this season. Bill explaining why he came in the first place and the such is fine and is more like closing out series-long storylines.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I really liked Tara's mom and the preacher in later seasons (Not this one), when she'd show up like once a season and cleanse Arline's house of evil spirits or whatever.

socialsecurity posted:

The Hoyt thing was sealed and done seasons ago. Tara's mom had no reason to come back either Tara dying was something new to this season. Bill explaining why he came in the first place and the such is fine and is more like closing out series-long storylines.

The problem with Bill talking about Queen Sophie Anne is it was a dumb retcon that served no purpose. When Sookie figured out she was a fairy it was a big loving deal, like they were supposedly extinct millennia ago, even Edgington didn't believe they existed. Except for that one half breed who worked in a vampire hotel, despite fairies smelling irresistible to vampires. You know what, this is probably my fault for thinking about it too hard.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Marathoned this over the last few days.

Irish Joe posted:

:woop::woop: TARA'S DEAD.. FOR REAL THIS TIME! :woop::woop:
:woop::woop: ERIC'S ALIVE :woop::woop:
:woop::woop: NO MORE WEREWOLVES :woop::woop
How did it go so wrong? Who gives a poo poo if Bill dies? Who the gently caress wanted Hoyt back? Why does everyone but Pam and Eric tell how they feel instead of showing it?

I hope the finale is Sookie and Bill getting gunned down followed by 59 minutes of Ginger.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I don't know if this is overall one of the worst seasons of anything ever, but it certainly is from a season planning/plotting point of view.

The overall plot trajectory is mind boggling, especially for a final season. Character arcs are all over the shop. New characters are introduced at such a late stage when regulars are given short shrift. The loving Hoyt/Jessica/Jason triangle is brought back after it was one storyline that was truly wrapped up. In the loving final season, there's no big-bad for the regulars to join forces against one more time (something that has always brought out the best in True Blood). While it's always played fast and loose with its own mythos and rules, it's truly thrown everything out of the window this time. Yakuza?!? I dunno, I could go on, it's a big boring loving mess.

Regarding the ending and the big spoiler that is now almost certainly true, I guess Sookie will use her one-off Fairy Nuke to save her life so she can become fully human with newly human Bill? And since the only threat left in this universe of Maynads, Ifrits and god-like ancient vampires is a Texan Yakuza human, it'll have to be used against him? loving boring and ridiculous.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I like how Eric was legitimately concerned about Ginger after she fell to the floor. The whole sequence was amazing.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

My wife got me to start watching this show around the end of S3, so I got caught up and then watched it from then on and neither of us can even fathom how simply terrible this final season has been. The writing is atrocious and that's funny because this is the same show that organized for Jason to be kidnapped and raped by catpeople for half of a season, for some reason, and then simply never mention it again. Eric being terrified of five guys in suits with guns is pretty awesome considering he used to be able to murder a room of 20 people in a split second and then wink at the camera. Age-related power continuity just completely stopped at some point, I reckon, to make the Yakuza story work.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

GreenNight posted:

I like how Eric was legitimately concerned about Ginger after she fell to the floor. The whole sequence was amazing.

That and the torture-room scene were the only two things this season that felt remotely like the show I remember. Any time there's Real Human Drama it just falls apart, and that's most of the screen-time. The other seasons pulled off the drama because you actually (kind of, at least) gave a poo poo about the outcome. As of right now, I don't really give a poo poo if Bill lives or dies or becomes human, and I don't give a poo poo if Sookie is happy or sad about whatever happens. I don't care about this new Jason romance who'll probably leave in the final episode of the series (hell even if she stayed what do we care?), I don't care that Jessica is back with Hoyt, don't give a poo poo that Sam ran off with his pregnant girlfriend.

What about Arlene with her new vampire lover that we've hardly even seen? Could not care less. Lafayette and the vampire? Nope, even though it's Lafayette I don't even care.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
The highlight of this season was Jason's Pizza Forensics. My fiancee and I still joke about this every single week. If I gotta throw something out in the fridge I tell her I'm calling on my power of pizza forensics.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

King Vidiot posted:

I don't care about this new Jason romance who'll probably leave in the final episode of the series (hell even if she stayed what do we care?)

idk, i'd kind of like to see her boobs

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

timp posted:

idk, i'd kind of like to see her boobs

GIS "Ashley Hinshaw nude". There, now you don't have to watch the final episode.

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011

Libertine posted:

The highlight of this season was Jason's Pizza Forensics. My fiancee and I still joke about this every single week. If I gotta throw something out in the fridge I tell her I'm calling on my power of pizza forensics.

The drat pizza forensics joke lured me into a feeling of false hope for this season. I thought this season would at least be worth watching because of Jason and Andy, but nope. It has been terrible all around minus that one joke.

This show just never was the same for me after they made it clear that Terry would die.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

GIS "Ashley Hinshaw nude". There, now you don't have to watch the final episode.

There're screencaps from some movie I've never heard of called "About Cherry" and they are literally what you'd see in a True Blood episode. Just mentally replace the dude in the caps with Ryan Kwanten.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I wonder if Jessica will tell Hoyt about how she lied and brainwashed him multiple times or how he became emo and joined a hate group and tried to murder her because of how much he hated her. Seriously, I actually liked how they wrapped up that storyline in season 4 (was it S4? or 5? can't remember). They're so drat wrong for each other and Jess is very wrong, they weren't happy.

Actually, now that I think about it... it's pretty much exactly what Sookie's doing. I loving hate it when shows do this. It's okay to move on from someone who's totally wrong for you and not go back to them, Television Writers of America. People do it all the time in real life.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 20, 2014

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Captain Mog posted:

I wonder if Jessica will tell Hoyt about how she lied and brainwashed him multiple times or how he became emo and joined a hate group and tried to murder her because of how much he hated her. Seriously, I actually liked how they wrapped up that storyline in season 4 (was it S4? or 5? can't remember). They're so drat wrong for each other and Jess is very wrong, they weren't happy.

Actually, now that I think about it... it's pretty much exactly what Sookie's doing. I loving hate it when shows do this. It's okay to move on from someone who's totally wrong for you and not go back to them, Television Writers of America. People do it all the time in real life.

But see, it's FATE~

Yeah now that I think about it Hoyt and Jessica's relationship was a clusterfuck and the main reason she hosed Jason was because they were miserable together.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Captain Mog posted:

joined a hate group and tried to murder her because of how much he hated her.
I forgot about this. :stare:

Violet's arc wrapped up with her becoming slightly crazier and getting shot 3 scenes later so Hoyt could save Jessica. That ridiculous sex dungeon and taxidermy mansion had at least 2 weeks worth of entertainment and they blew it.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Violet's arc wrapped up with her becoming slightly crazier and getting shot 3 scenes later so Hoyt could save Jessica. That ridiculous sex dungeon and taxidermy mansion had at least 2 weeks worth of entertainment and they blew it.

Everything about that Violet arc was stupid. And then of course it just ENDS with her getting shot. They really ARE calling this season in. Their last season.

Assholes. :(

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

In Hoyt's defense, he didn't actually join the group just kind of got caught up and wasn't down with actually killing Jessica, he played along until he could save her and get out of there. You could tell he was uncomfortable as hell being around those rednecks.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I remember Hoyt getting ragey jealous because Jessica fed on some other guys instead of exclusively feeding from him. Hoyt turned into a possessive mama's boy when he was dating her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Guys guys guys, Hoyt and Jessica were totally happy together for like year.

Off camera.

During a time skip.

Cause they said so afterwards.

This is how you tell a good story, okay?

• Locked thread