Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

First Bass posted:

:psyduck: Am I the only person who can see thread titles?

No? What is this even a responce too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

PriorMarcus posted:

No? What is this even a responce too?

Well, last I checked, this wasn't the Doctor Who thread, or the Doctor Who spoilers thread, or even the Doctor Who toxx thread. It's the Legend of Korra (and occasionally ATLA) thread.

e: checked again, still the thread about the cartoon which "airs" every Friday on Nickelodeon.com

Four Score fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 18, 2014

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
I'm still lost. Come again?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Babygravy posted:

I'm still lost. Come again?

Just like what happened this season with Korra, Doctor Who also leaked. Unlike Korea which was pretty much a finished episode except in Spanish, the Doctor Who episode was lacking all of the post production stuff like sfx and cg

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

And the first quote from the guru pretty much settles speculation about Tenzin. Plus given the use of 'venom' in that first quote and the finale title it seems plausible that we've discovered the final plan.

I'm confused, how does that quote settle what happened to Tenzin?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Xelkelvos posted:

Just like what happened this season with Korra, Doctor Who also leaked. Unlike Korea which was pretty much a finished episode except in Spanish, the Doctor Who episode was lacking all of the post production stuff like sfx and cg

And First Bass is absolutely livid that anyone would make a comparison instead of talking about who we would ship.

Melon Lord/Badger Moles

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I ship Pabu with Naga.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
You know, it's funny how between this season and the last, Korra traced Aang's journey - first, Water, and now Earth. I'm guessing we'll finally see Zuko's daughter next season.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

I'm confused, how does that quote settle what happened to Tenzin?

The next episode is called 'Into the Void' and this part of the quote "New growth cannot exist without first the destruction of the old. The void is found in the sowing of death. From that death springs life on the wind" is pretty clearly talking about the death of a mentor.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I initially thought it meant that the person entering the void had to die, but that is an interesting take -- it is written ambiguously enough that it could mean that they would need to take the life of someone else.

One of the going theories is that Zaheer is trying to resurrect either Xai Bau or Guru Laghima in another physical body (Korra's, I guess?). But we would still need to know why it's so important that their spirit ends up in the body of the Avatar. If they just need any old physical body, it seems like they're making things unnecessarily hard on themselves, when they could just put one of the guys in Aiwei. I guess, if they succeed, having the Avatar on your side would make destroying world governments a lot easier.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Edit nm got posted while stuck on preview

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: oh okay I guess the quote was already linked

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
My guess is that Zaheer wants to exorcise the spirit of Raava from Korra's body so that Raava can no longer lord over the fate of the world just like he didn't like the Earth Queen lording over the Earth Kingdom.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

He'll probably torture her with Black Flag's discography.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Filthy Casual posted:

torture her with Black Flag's discography.

I'd be cool with that torture. It's not too bad.

Pau
Jun 7, 2004

Filthy Casual posted:

He'll probably torture her with Black Flag's discography.

I don't know, bending mosh pit sounds pretty hardcore.

I truly hope they don't off Tenzin, sure he can get annoying but he has a heart of gold. I don't want his kids to grow fatherless.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I don't think I've ever found Tenzin annoying. I've always found his fuddy-duddiness understandable on some level, and his mannerisms/JK Simmons' spot-on delivery always make me laugh (That head-shaving gag was the funniest in the series so far).

I love Tenzin, but I'm torn between my interest in seeing him survive for me to enjoy throughout another season and my primal need for poo poo to get real. :smith:

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Whatever happens, I just hope we have a scene of Lord Zuko entering the Spirit World for a nice reunion with Iroh. :unsmith:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

Whatever happens, I just hope we have a scene of Lord Zuko entering the Spirit World for a nice reunion with Iroh. :unsmith:

Wait until Zaheer spirit-murders Iroh in front of Zuko's eyes.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Wildeyes posted:

I love Tenzin, but I'm torn between my interest in seeing him survive for me to enjoy throughout another season and my primal need for poo poo to get real. :smith:

There was that whole long distance suffocation thing from the last episode.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Guru Laghima quote posted in that tumblr: "New growth cannot exist without first the destruction of the old. The void is found in the sowing of death. From that death springs life on the wind."

This certainly would fit Tenzin dying. He is the last remaining link to the air nomad culture of old, and if he died then the air nation would become something completely new, untethered from the past. Having said that, I just can't see them going through with it. It's one thing to introduce a character who has lost a parent. It is quite another to kill off a parent mid-series and have to convey the level of grief and despair Tenzin's family and friends would have to go through. It'd be an amazingly effective hook for season four, but I just can't see it.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I've considered that too, but there could be a reasonable time skip of however many months between seasons 3 and 4, during which time the worst part of the grieving process could have taken place off-screen. It would still be drat near one of the most tragic things ever shown on what is ostensibly still a children's cartoon, but I can still see it happening.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean, the book is called Change, if there was ever a time to pull that it was now. Plus if he does die now he had probably the most badass death anyone in Avatar has gotten since Roku.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If Tenzin dies, it means Aang's dream of reviving the air nation failed once and for all. Tenzin's the only airbending master; if he's gone, there's nobody left to pass it down, as even his most advanced pupil's training (Jinora's) is still incomplete.

It's one thing if the point is that Aang's dream was impossible and there needs to be a new air nation unconnected from the old one, inventing a new tradition and learning new philosophy and technique. It's quite another if the reason that happens is because nobody was around to answer the radio.

Siid
Oct 18, 2012

Tenzin will finish Jinora's training in the Spirit World.

It will work without being able to bend there. Don't question it.

Siid fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 18, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Siid posted:

He can still show her the forms even if they can't bend.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Speculation: Tenzin dies, enters the spirit world, Zaheer tries to possess Korra, Tenzin possess him instead and Korra spirit bends him out of existence.

Gharzan is about to lava bend Mako and Bolin but hesitates for a moment too long because of their time spent together earlier in the Book so Bolin pushes it back and leaves him horribly burned.

The rest of the Red Lotus survive and got to lick their wounds, with Opal as their new leader.

The final scenes of the season are Ming-Hua water healing Gharzan whose horribly scared while Opal says that they have a plan and all of Tenzin's family, with Korra and Zuko entering the spirit world to see him and Iron.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Hey, if Harmonic Convergence happened and spirits can enter the human world freely, what's stopping Iroh from coming to visit Zuko? Does the old man not count as a spirit, or am I missing some fantasy spirit logic here?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wildeyes posted:

Hey, if Harmonic Convergence happened and spirits can enter the human world freely, what's stopping Iroh from coming to visit Zuko? Does the old man not count as a spirit, or am I missing some fantasy spirit logic here?

I think the only reason Iroh went there was because he projected himself into the Spirit World on his deathbed; it could be that he doesn't want to risk something awful (I.E. fading from existence) happening if he were to attempt crossing over into the physical world via the portals.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Oh, apparently an AV Club writer got a review copy (They do that?) of the finale, and he tweeted this: "@EricThurm: the finale might be the best thing I'll watch all year I teared up a bit it was so awesome"

Get hyped?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Wildeyes posted:

The Zaheerforthepeople tumblr leaked (?) a spooky quote from "the journals of Xai Bau" that may relate to what the Red Lotus has in store for Korra, if that interests you :shrug:

No clue if it's legit or not.

This kind of confirms one of the first things I thought of when it was emphasized how good Zaheer is at spirit stuff; he's either going to try to take over Korra's body and be the chaotic, nation-opposed Avatar that the Red Lotus wants, or straight up exorcise Raava out of Korra and end the influence of the Avatar forever. It could be that Book 3 ends with the Red Lotus succeeding partly, leaving Korra either without powers or exiled to the spirit world, and Book 4 is the culmination of the plot, with Korra having to get more in touch with her spirit side and finding a way back while the rest of Team Korra try to keep the Red Lotus from completely plunging the physical world in chaos.

Siid posted:

This is so :unsmith: that it's terrible to even consider, but it would be an amazing and logical way for the plot to go; Tenzin dies, but maintains his connection to Jinora through her spiritwalking powers, allowing a way for the Airbending forms to be passed down but leaving plenty of space for Jinora to be a new leader for the Air Tribe. I like Tenzin as a character, but given how ruthless they've shown the Red Lotus to be, I can't fathom him living through the season. It just works on too many levels; If Tenzin dies, it means Aang's dream of reviving the air nation failed once and for all. They've been emphasizing a lot that the Avatar can, and often does, fail in their personal goals to protect or shelter any given one nation and that the Avatar has to be okay with the world changing in ways they don't like.

Definitely hyped for the finale though.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 19, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
still betting on Zuko dies. He's Grandmaster of the White Lotus and former Fire Lord, he's a perfect target. He was gonna return home and then learned the new Air Nation was under threat, him showing up with additional Fire Nation forces to save the day/protect the Air Nation and die/reunite with Iroh in the process would fulfill a whole lot of arcs here - the anti authority of the Red Lotus, the redemption of the Fire Nation for genocide, up the ante with the fans by killing a long standing and well loved character, and a firm happy ending for him.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Apparently regarding the Zaheerforthepeople thing, one of the storyboard artists, Will Ruzicka came out and said what was "leaked" was bullshit? He apparently answered a question on tumblr that debunked it, the answer is gone now though AFAIK.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

DoctorWhat posted:

Kelly-style Politoons about the Avatar.

I'd kill for a crying statue of Aang with some zinger one liner.
Like Avatar Korra with "CORRUPT AVATAR" on her shirt insisting that Amon was an evil waterbending sociopath

With Kelly in the corner; "More like TRUTHbender."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Classtoise posted:

I'd kill for a crying statue of Aang with some zinger one liner.
Like Avatar Korra with "CORRUPT AVATAR" on her shirt insisting that Amon was an evil waterbending sociopath

With Kelly in the corner; "More like TRUTHbender."

I could have sworn I'd already seen something like that somewhere, which is why I mentioned it, but I can't seem to find it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

I could have sworn I'd already seen something like that somewhere, which is why I mentioned it, but I can't seem to find it.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I love this fanbase sometimes, I really do.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ImpAtom posted:

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I love this fanbase sometimes, I really do.

loving magical.

EDIT: "You gotta give me the fangs"

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
While we're dicking around with stupid poo poo, here's a parody tumblr account with Zaheer's nonsensical words of wisdom

Zaheer posted:

True strength, despite popular belief, is actually actually strength. That is a double positive. Strength is not weakness, in fact they are antonyms. What are antonyms? Look into yourself and you will realize, a synonym is the opposite of an antonym.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Wildeyes posted:

While we're dicking around with stupid poo poo, here's a parody tumblr account with Zaheer's nonsensical words of wisdom

This sounds like a fanfiction crossover between Jaden Smith and Zaheer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Jayden Smith is capable of the lost art of mind bending via tweet.

• Locked thread