Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Faerunner posted:

How do you guys feel when one person keeps getting awards/recognition to the exclusion of others who might deserve it? Not like "all of us worked on something and only one of us got an award" but "Several people have been doing great jobs lately but only A had a customer speak up for her, so she gets this shiny thing and B through G... uh, great job, keep it up!"

loving inanimate carbon rod, I hate that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Faerunner posted:

How do you guys feel when one person keeps getting awards/recognition to the exclusion of others who might deserve it? Not like "all of us worked on something and only one of us got an award" but "Several people have been doing great jobs lately but only A had a customer speak up for her, so she gets this shiny thing and B through G... uh, great job, keep it up!"

Not really the same thing, but in the 3 years I've been at my current job there was only one month where a cashier got "employee of the month" and even then I don't count it because it's the lifer (and sole remaining full time cashier) who every old couple adores.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Employee of the month is bullshit. I've been employee of the month 3 times (I think? Damned if I know for sure) and LP hero twice in the time I've worked at my store and I could care less. If they really truly appreciated me maybe they could give me an actual cost of living increase to my wages instead of some sugary psychological fluff and a recognition pin.

I will agree that cashiers get poo poo on though. Our cashiers routinely have to beg for break time because we never actually have anyone scheduled to cover their register for a break. Then when they finally do get their break the manager is constantly on the radio bugging the poo poo out of them to finish up and get back up front. The best perk of my job is that I'm not allowed to ring on a register.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I don't like "Employee of the Month" stuff in general. I don't know how it's determined who gets the award at my store, but maybe half the people who win are the same three people from framing over and over, so if it's because of customer compliments, that would definitely explain it.

:byodame: "Oh, Geoff helped me with a wonderful $3400 framing job to memorialize my dearly departed parakeet, Mr. Whistler. He's the best employee here!"

The reason I disapprove of them, incidentally, is they set up this weird competition between people, even if you don't give a poo poo. I think they're dumb, and yet I get annoyed that I never get recognized for the hard work I put in every day. Especially when the only actual reward for winning is "get your name on a plaque posted in the breakroom", it's just the most asinine thing. If they want to really make people try to get that, have a reward, and also have clearly laid out rules for how you achieve it. I might put it some extra effort if it could net me a $50 giftcard to East Side Mario's or Red Lobster or Future Shop. Just loving something to strive for. A perfunctory pat on the head like I'm a squirmy little puppy, that's just not worth it.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I don't like "Employee of the Month" stuff in general. I don't know how it's determined who gets the award at my store, but maybe half the people who win are the same three people from framing over and over, so if it's because of customer compliments, that would definitely explain it.

:byodame: "Oh, Geoff helped me with a wonderful $3400 framing job to memorialize my dearly departed parakeet, Mr. Whistler. He's the best employee here!"

The reason I disapprove of them, incidentally, is they set up this weird competition between people, even if you don't give a poo poo. I think they're dumb, and yet I get annoyed that I never get recognized for the hard work I put in every day. Especially when the only actual reward for winning is "get your name on a plaque posted in the breakroom", it's just the most asinine thing. If they want to really make people try to get that, have a reward, and also have clearly laid out rules for how you achieve it. I might put it some extra effort if it could net me a $50 giftcard to East Side Mario's or Red Lobster or Future Shop. Just loving something to strive for. A perfunctory pat on the head like I'm a squirmy little puppy, that's just not worth it.

What you want is a Homer Award. Varying levels, bigger chunks of cash every higher level, I don't remember how much it is anymore, it's been years since I worked at HD, but I think $50 for a bronze, $100 for a silver?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

First prize is a cadillac el dorado, second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, the cashiers get poo poo on where I work too, and I feel bad because some of them are really great and deserve at least some more thanks if not some cash. And some of our awards do carry cash value, which is a nice (if taxed) bonus in your paycheck... but it's not fair if a handful of people get them to the exclusion of others.

Then again, "fair" would just be bumping everyone's paycheck a little bit and we know that's not happening, so hey. I guess take what we can get, yeah? At least my company cares enough to throw us money every once in a while. It's amazing what intermittent reinforcement of behaviors with cash will earn you in terms of employee satisfaction.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

This sounds like the perfect opportunity to sell raffle tickets and misc charity merchandise that management forever pushes cashiers to sell.

It was at Staples. We had a "pen of the month" but never actually knew which it was/never actually had it in stock. They weren't too strict about it. She bought a snickers.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The reason I disapprove of them, incidentally, is they set up this weird competition between people, even if you don't give a poo poo. I think they're dumb, and yet I get annoyed that I never get recognized for the hard work I put in every day. Especially when the only actual reward for winning is "get your name on a plaque posted in the breakroom", it's just the most asinine thing.

The company where I used to work did away with Employee of the Month awards because, to quote the CEO, "you shouldn't be recognized for doing your jobs." That a stupid thing to say to your employees in general, but its doubly stupid when the last guy to get Employee of the Month got it for donating his kidney to a coworker.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Translation:
"I don't want you to do anything more than the bare minimum required to meet the conditions of your contact. Please don't put in any extra effort."

I wonder if he realised he'd said that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

rolleyes posted:

Translation:
"I don't want you to do anything more than the bare minimum required to meet the conditions of your contact. Please don't put in any extra effort."

I wonder if he realised he'd said that.

Most employers say it directly through low wages to their employees.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
We have inventory at my Costco this weekend so the next few days will be pretty exciting. I get to stay till midnight Friday night and count all the back stock inside the freezer and cooler. And on Saturday after the store closes everybody gets to go to the area they are assigned to and count the poo poo on the floor. As usual, I'm assigned to count paper/water products, and since that's pretty easy that means that I'll get done way before everyone else and they'll send me to go help other people count stuff. I always dread inventory but it's never as bad as I make it out to be. And since pretty much everybody has to come in and work inventory they at least feed a good dinner beforehand.

And as for non inventory related poo poo about my job, I just put in for a full time morning forklift driver position. I feel pretty confident about it since I'm the most qualified person at my store for the job. I should have it in the bag as long as no one from another store puts in for it that has more seniority than me. Hopefully I get it, it'll be a nice change of pace for me.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Good luck. My mom drove a forklift at her job for a while, she said it was oddly relaxing.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Good luck. My mom drove a forklift at her job for a while, she said it was oddly relaxing.

The best parts of my HD job were when I got to drive the mini-forklift. It is strangely relaxing, and if they'd let me, I would've stayed on that thing all day.

Ooh, a quarter. *whrrrrrrr*

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Jingleheimer posted:

We have inventory at my Costco this weekend so the next few days will be pretty exciting. I get to stay till midnight Friday night and count all the back stock inside the freezer and cooler. And on Saturday after the store closes everybody gets to go to the area they are assigned to and count the poo poo on the floor. As usual, I'm assigned to count paper/water products, and since that's pretty easy that means that I'll get done way before everyone else and they'll send me to go help other people count stuff. I always dread inventory but it's never as bad as I make it out to be. And since pretty much everybody has to come in and work inventory they at least feed a good dinner beforehand.

And as for non inventory related poo poo about my job, I just put in for a full time morning forklift driver position. I feel pretty confident about it since I'm the most qualified person at my store for the job. I should have it in the bag as long as no one from another store puts in for it that has more seniority than me. Hopefully I get it, it'll be a nice change of pace for me.

Inventory is pretty much a day at high school. We all have to be there, they feed us, and odds are we're probably cheating off each others work. I always count a side of our freezer and an aisle in foods. Got a nice 230 to 11 shift this year though so after we eat I'm pretty much ready to go.

Good luck with the full time spot. The money is much nicer and not having to work six days in a week ever again is fantastic. The whole having a more or less set schedule thing is awesome too.

Been doing layer and BIN tags as we run the trucks. Well I've been filling out the item number, date and putting my initials on the tag while our helper person does the countsz which sucks because they somehow struggle to get the counts right when I could get them right basically every time, been doing it and working with the guy that pulls the trucks long enough. Summer inventory is easier than winter inventory though for sure.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I had to do my first inventory at whole foods a couple weeks ago.

Counting stuff in the meat department sucks. We have to scan every item because they're all priced by weight. I counted about 500 individual pieces in 2 hours after we closed.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Santheb posted:

Inventory is pretty much a day at high school. We all have to be there, they feed us, and odds are we're probably cheating off each others work. I always count a side of our freezer and an aisle in foods. Got a nice 230 to 11 shift this year though so after we eat I'm pretty much ready to go.

Good luck with the full time spot. The money is much nicer and not having to work six days in a week ever again is fantastic. The whole having a more or less set schedule thing is awesome too.

Been doing layer and BIN tags as we run the trucks. Well I've been filling out the item number, date and putting my initials on the tag while our helper person does the countsz which sucks because they somehow struggle to get the counts right when I could get them right basically every time, been doing it and working with the guy that pulls the trucks long enough. Summer inventory is easier than winter inventory though for sure.

I got full time a year ago and it certainly is nicer. Getting the forklift job would be a step up though since I'm technically a stocker, even though I drive a lift every night I'm only getting the extra pay for the couple hours a night that I'm forklifting.

And yeah, the worst part about inventory is the month or so leading up to it where you have to tag all the trucks, it takes twice as long to get that poo poo done. We formed a nice tagging station by duct taping a piece or wood to a cart to make a rolling table for writing out all the tags. In the basket we have all the extra layer and bin tags, a roll of shrink wrap, a calculator, and sometimes extra markers (which usually get taken quickly). One of us will write all the tags out and initial all the tags, and then after the trucks get ran out whoever is available will walk by and double check and put second initials on them before they get put up.

I'm glad that I only have to tag the dry loads now. I was working in the receiving department for the last couple years and that is certainly no picnic when inventory rolls around, since they have to tag every single thing that comes in. This week is the worst too since they have to tag the wet loads and all the miscellaneous poo poo that comes in, but they also the inventory auditors there to help out with it too.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Guess who gets two weeks of overnight shifts for inventory pre-counts this year?

This retail worker! I'm pumped. Two whole weeks of regular hours and no customers, BRING IT ON!

Nevermind that all our pre-counts are going to get screwed up by RGIS anyway. I wish they'd just let us count our own drat stock.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I went into my old store as a civilian, the produce guy ordered about five times as many bananas as they needed and there's signs up everywhere screaming about the banana sale they have going on.

I'm glad it's over.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Jumped ship to a competitor after it became clear that I wasn't going to advance beyond store clerk, and that the old job's management positions were too overworked and underpaid for me to even want. Now, two weeks in, my new boss is telling me that I'm career track and he'll probably have a salaried position waiting for me when I graduate from university. It's so refreshing to know that there are companies out there who care :)

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Saeku posted:

Jumped ship to a competitor after it became clear that I wasn't going to advance beyond store clerk, and that the old job's management positions were too overworked and underpaid for me to even want. Now, two weeks in, my new boss is telling me that I'm career track and he'll probably have a salaried position waiting for me when I graduate from university. It's so refreshing to know that there are companies out there who care :)

I hope you're right, but remember that words are cheap.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Shnag posted:

I use them if I have only a few items, but never if I have fresh veggies, because there is like 9 different kinds of tomatoes and it knows if you choose the wrong one.

The right one would have been the cheapest option.

At my last job I got super bored one day and took a picture of the coffee maker in the break room and made it employee of the month, every month. Everybody agreed it was the hardest working, supporting all of the staff.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Blue_monday posted:

The right one would have been the cheapest option.

Put several varieties of red apples in one bag, but remove the stickers for the more expensive kinds. Enjoy your cheap apples.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

TMMadman posted:

Put several varieties of red apples in one bag, but remove the stickers for the more expensive kinds. Enjoy your cheap apples.

Hope you get the one checkout person who has never seen an apple before.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Blue_monday posted:

At my last job I got super bored one day and took a picture of the coffee maker in the break room and made it employee of the month, every month. Everybody agreed it was the hardest working, supporting all of the staff.

Our coffee machine sits neglected and lonely. Nobody uses it, since we are directly beside a Starbucks.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

TMMadman posted:

Enjoy being a criminal as well.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

Enjoy being a criminal as well.

Man, you must work in the most low key bullshit store in the loving planet. You should move to an American city and work here for a while. It would vastly expand your retail horizons, and it seems like you are in desperate need of expansion from wherever you are coming from. You've straight up gone mad from it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

litany of gulps posted:

Man, you must work in the most low key bullshit store in the loving planet. You should move to an American city and work here for a while. It would vastly expand your retail horizons, and it seems like you are in desperate need of expansion from wherever you are coming from. You've straight up gone mad from it.

So you think stealing is acceptable behavior do you?

A crime is a crime. Breaking the law is wrong on an absolute level, and cannot be justified under any circumstances. I'm lucky enough not to have self serve registers at my store, but If I did, and I saw someone taking advantage of them to steal, I would intervene. The idea of someone being permitted to get away with something they shouldn't to is abhorrent to me. That isn't madness, it's just being a decent, honest person.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Breaking the law is wrong on an absolute level, and cannot be justified under any circumstances.

What about speeding whilst driving your wife to the hospital, as she goes into labour early with her second child. There was complications the first time round, but "I better stick to the speed limit because I believe in moral absolutes!".

You are easily the worst person in this thread. I come here to read stories about retail workers, not your obnoxious pompous :australia:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

kidhash posted:

What about speeding whilst driving your wife to the hospital, as she goes into labour early with her second child. There was complications the first time round, but "I better stick to the speed limit because I believe in moral absolutes!".

You are easily the worst person in this thread. I come here to read stories about retail workers, not your obnoxious pompous :australia:

That's what ambulances are for. And I'll point out that high speed collisions probably aren't good for pregnancies. 'My wife was in labour' won't prevent you from doing time for 'Dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death' or whatever the charge is called where you are if you cause a collision and kill someone.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Ambulances cost money, dude. Even where I live, the true north of Canada, it can cost you $45 even if the service is essential. I shudder to think of the price of an ambulance ride in the US.

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

kidhash posted:

This is stupid, you're stupid and that has nothing to do with the straight up theft being advocated. (Goddamn you, you're making me side with Bude).

Here, I can do it too: tag switching apples is like driving your wife as she is in labor early with your second child. You see a much faster car on the side of the road and decide to steal it so you can get there sooner.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ambulances cost money, dude. Even where I live, the true north of Canada, it can cost you $45 even if the service is essential. I shudder to think of the price of an ambulance ride in the US.

Sometimes doing something the right way costs money. Spending some money is better than risking death or serious injury (and the financial and psychological ramifications). Consider it a premium for your 'short term not getting yourself killed insurance'. Ambulances have the proper medical facilities to deal with a pregnant lady, the flashing lights and sirens to make other drivers get the gently caress out of the way, and drivers who are appropriately trained.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Ambulance rides are a couple thousand dollars in the :911: iirc

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
My mom woke up with an uncontrollable nose bleed that was choking her because it was flowing down her throat. She called an ambulance. It cost her 4 thousand dollars. She wished she would have just driven there while spitting blood out the window.

When people are talking about speeding I doubt they mean going 90 or whatever . when my wife was in labor I went 10 over the speed limit. Fuckin' should just turn myself in.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Man, I wish I had a horse like that. It's so tall! You're a lucky man, Lord Bude.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

The Lord Bude posted:

A crime is a crime. Breaking the law is wrong on an absolute level

A little pedantic here, but breaking the law isn't wrong, it's illegal. Laws have nothing to do with right or wrong.

Man, I wish I had a horse like that. It's so tall! You're a lucky man, Lord Bude.

Also this.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

WarLocke posted:

A little pedantic here, but breaking the law isn't wrong, it's illegal. Laws have nothing to do with right or wrong.

This is a nonsense statement. Criminal laws are made because at some stage it was decided that doing a particular thing was wrong; therefore that thing was made illegal so that people would know with certainty that that particular thing was wrong to do - eg - Murder, rape, theft, etc - and so that there would be prescribed punishments to discourage it from happening.

I suppose an argument could be made that it's the act of killing someone, or stealing something, or so forth which is wrong and not the breaking of the law prohibiting such an act, but then I would argue that if you wish to be part of a society then you have an obligation to be obedient to the rules that govern it, and that a state has the right to expect obedience from its subjects.

Either way it is a very pedantic argument, and all this started because I called someone out for condoning theft, which honestly isn't all that morally or legally ambiguous.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

The Lord Bude posted:

This is a nonsense statement.

Words have meaning, dude.

And I'd argue that this whole derail was caused by you flipping your poo poo at someone making a joke that even if serious was about the least 'wrong' thing you could ever do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
TMMadman Vs Lord Bude and the 8th commandment.