Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
My boyfriend and I have decided to take the next Big Step in our relationship. We're getting a project car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Yeah, I've got a Fusion booked with my upcoming week vac on Kauai. The alternatives weren't too exciting (Camry, Aveo, Cobalt) and gently caress paying over twice as much for a v6 Mustang. The girlfriend was all "I thought you'd want a Jeep!!" because I've been on a kick doing work to my XJ lately. Nope, Wranglers are like $800/week.
:pwn:

Sadly I am secretly looking forward to a weeklong break from my finicky, demanding, coolant-leaking, premium-fuel sucking stable (E46, 690SM, '88 XJ) and driving something... boring. Something that gets *gasp* good milage!!!1

I had a Fusion back in April and I loving loved it but I went with the $17 per day rental this time.

Edit: And today we went to a tiny little fuckhole town to pick up some of the girlfriend's deceased mother's stuff from her ex husband's house. Then we went to dinner but on the way we stopped at a this huge yard sale thing the town was holding and I found an awesome Chauffeur's hat but she wouldn't let me buy it because "that's racist."

WHAT THE gently caress.

THERE ARE WHITE CHAUFFEURS.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 19, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

You guys, newborns puts a lot of stress on all aspects of life and your relationship. Even if it's your second it doesn't make it any easier.

Carry on with misc chat.

*hug*

blk posted:

After coming to terms with the idea of being a father I told my wife I want to stick with one (still a year+ off). She thinks only children turn into spoiled, lonely sociopaths; I'm worried that they'll turn into a gently caress up and I won't have a hot spare, but the attention demand and cost of two children seems overwhelming to me (I'm the youngest of three, as is my wife).

The second doesn't cost nearly as much as the first, unless it breaks in some way. Partly because you use a lot of hand-me-downs, mainly because you realise you didn't need most of that stupid poo poo you bought the first time round.

The worry with only kids is making sure they understand they're not the centre of the universe by pandering to their every whim.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

goatse guy posted:

My boyfriend and I have decided to take the next Big Step in our relationship. We're getting a project car.

That's a bigger commitment than a kid. Best of luck.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

My daughter turned 2 at the end of the month and he was born just 2 weeks before (5 weeks old today). I'm having loads of fun with my daughter now, she loves going out with me and always makes us laugh at the things she says. Getting a big hug and kiss when I get home from work and her yelling DADDY HOME! Is about the greatest thing in the world. Having the long nights of feeding/crying/fussing is tough. Mrs. SH is at her wits end and I'm working my balls off at work so we're both waxed at the end of the day. It's just survival mode. IF there is a 3rd there will be a much bigger gap than 2 years.

I will say it, pregnancy is the worst part about having kids. It's so much better having them out rather than in.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Somewhat Heroic posted:

You guys, newborns puts a lot of stress on all aspects of life and your relationship. Even if it's your second it doesn't make it any easier.

Carry on with misc chat.

Yeah, but seriously though baby smell is one of the best scents in the world. It's up there with warm nicely worn leather, or fresh chocolate chip cookies. And if you can convince them to take a nap on you on a rainy football Sunday you've got a little heater to keep you warm while you watch the game :).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mat_Drinks posted:

Yeah, but seriously though baby smell is one of the best scents in the world. It's up there with warm nicely worn leather, or fresh chocolate chip cookies. And if you can convince them to take a nap on you on a rainy football Sunday you've got a little heater to keep you warm while you watch the game :).

Pro Dad chat right here. Mine turned two last week and it's crazy how all of those pictures of her over the past two years still seem like just yesterday, but now she's this huge kid running around and chatting instead of being pink, squishy, and mostly stationary.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mat_Drinks posted:

I've really warmed up on kids over the last few years. Had a kid wipe out in the store with no parent to be found and suddenly I had paternal instincts.

Still don't want any of my own though.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
My kid is three and recently asked me to hold his hand while in the tub. When I got close and held his hand he belted out a huge fart that erupted in my face and then laughed at me.

He is everything I wanted in a son.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Yeah, I've got a Fusion booked with my upcoming week vac on Kauai. The alternatives weren't too exciting (Camry, Aveo, Cobalt) and gently caress paying over twice as much for a v6 Mustang. The girlfriend was all "I thought you'd want a Jeep!!" because I've been on a kick doing work to my XJ lately. Nope, Wranglers are like $800/week.
:pwn:

Sadly I am secretly looking forward to a weeklong break from my finicky, demanding, coolant-leaking, premium-fuel sucking stable (E46, 690SM, '88 XJ) and driving something... boring. Something that gets *gasp* good milage!!!1

... you ride motorcycles, why are you renting a car. Hawaii is awesome for riding (I lived there for five years and spent a lot of that time on two wheels because every day there is bike weather), just rent a bike. There's about a zillion bike rental companies in Honolulu like: http://www.bigkahunarentals.com/ or http://cruzinhawaii.com/

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I used to say that all the time when I was younger. Then I got older and started to feel like maybe having a kid would be nice, karma bit me in the rear end by hooking me up with a wonderful woman to marry - except she can't have kids (uterine tumour when she was younger). :smith:

All you lucky fuckers who can actually have crotch spawn, enjoy them.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

HotCanadianChick posted:

I used to say that all the time when I was younger. Then I got older and started to feel like maybe having a kid would be nice, karma bit me in the rear end by hooking me up with a wonderful woman to marry - except she can't have kids (uterine tumour when she was younger). :smith:

All you lucky fuckers who can actually have crotch spawn, enjoy them.

Adoption?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Apparently Facebook is going to start tagging articles from sites like The Onion with [SATIRE] because users are complaining that they get confused

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 208 days!)

freelop posted:

Apparently Facebook is going to start tagging articles from sites like The Onion with [SATIRE] because users are complaining that they get confused

So when do selfies and anyone who posts single liners get tagged [NARCISSIST]? Oh, wait. Implied.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Thankfully, the posts we need to worry about here are already tagged [Viggen].

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Along with [meatpimp] and [Motronic].... and [STR]

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

some texas redneck posted:

Along with [meatpimp] and [Motronic].... and [STR]

Good point.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

This is the worst drat hotel I've ever stayed at. Have to sleep in the lobby on garbage chairs, one light glaring in my eye, hardware noises left and right, have to wear an id badge, nurses everywhere. ..

(I'm about to be an uncle btw)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

I thought I wanted one when I was still married. She didnt.

These days? Not a bloody chance, thank you very much. I can tolerate the nieces and nephews in small doses and I'm happy to be the Crazy Uncle. But anyone else's kid? Noooope get them away from me. I"m a male version of the cazy cat lady and I dont mind that at all.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Three buildings left to wire up at this job site. No power in any of them today. One is closed this week for abatement. Waiting on some patch panels for another. The third is locked up and none of the staff is here to open it since the power is off. Just give me my two hours and send me home. Been sitting in my car next to my JW drinking coffee for 30 minutes now.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Oh dear, this girl is definitely crazy. I need to stop letting the crazy ones find me and go looking for a not crazy one. :stonklol:

If she has angry eyes on her jeep as well as acting like this I am running for the hills.

kastein fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 19, 2014

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Fucknag posted:

This is the worst drat hotel I've ever stayed at. Have to sleep in the lobby on garbage chairs, one light glaring in my eye, hardware noises left and right, have to wear an id badge, nurses everywhere. ..

(I'm about to be an uncle btw)

Congrats dude. I just became an uncle last year and its the best thing ever.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cat Terrist posted:

I thought I wanted one when I was still married. She didnt.

These days? Not a bloody chance, thank you very much. I can tolerate the nieces and nephews in small doses and I'm happy to be the Crazy Uncle. But anyone else's kid? Noooope get them away from me. I"m a male version of the cazy cat lady and I dont mind that at all.
Off topic, does your brother still post here?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Fart Pipe posted:

Congrats dude. I just became an uncle last year and its the best thing ever.

I'm gonna be the best bad influence uncle in history, you have no idea.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

8ender posted:

My kid is three and recently asked me to hold his hand while in the tub. When I got close and held his hand he belted out a huge fart that erupted in my face and then laughed at me.

He is everything I wanted in a son.

My 5 year-old daughter does this. She thinks farts are the funniest thing in the goddamn world. She even made up her own joke and had us rolling laughing.

Her: "Daddy, guess what my favorite planet is!"
Me: "I dunno, what is your favorite planet, princess?"
Her: "Nep-toots!" *fart*

She actually ripped one to end the joke with perfect timing. I almost died laughing.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Mat_Drinks posted:

This, but then you don't watch the game/movie/whatever, as you end up passing out as well.

I'm the baby whisperer, 10 minutes in my arms and they drop asleep. I'm not far behind usually though. Was better when there was some less-than-a-month-apart babies in my group of friends, I'd grab two kids and a blanket and get the best loving nap ever.

I love kids.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Mat_Drinks posted:

I always thought it was like fresh baked bread. It's really the best smell. My daughter wouldn't really sleep in our arms but our little guy does. We've already had a few Sunday naps where he just lays on my chest and I sleep. The weight of him is really perfect.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

bandman posted:

My 5 year-old daughter does this. She thinks farts are the funniest thing in the goddamn world. She even made up her own joke and had us rolling laughing.

She actually ripped one to end the joke with perfect timing. I almost died laughing.

That is actually a p good joke.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

bandman posted:

Get your daughter an account.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:siren: If anyone is looking for red plastidip, there's a price mistake on Amazon Prime right now -- $75.44 for 4 gallons, shipped. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K092NTW

Edit: Deal's dead. Hopefully someone got some cheap 'dip from the tip.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 19, 2014

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

blk posted:

That is actually a p good joke.

I know! I would say that she's going to be the next great female comedian, but all the good comics seem to have an endless well of self-loathing and cynicism to draw from, and I hope she doesn't end up like that.

She tries to tell jokes all the time and sometimes she hits a home run (aforementioned fart joke), but other times she goes a bit far afield. Example:

Her: "knock knock!"
Me: "Who's there?"
Her: "Orange!"
Me: "Orange who?"
Her: "Orange banana grape!"

Either she's still learning how jokes actually work, or she's a comic genius on the level of Andy Kaufman and her jokes are already over my head. I can't really tell yet.

edit: gently caress these new non-plat avatars. I guess shaming people into buying plat is how they're going to boost revenue.

bandman fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 19, 2014

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

HotCanadianChick posted:

... you ride motorcycles, why are you renting a car. Hawaii is awesome for riding (I lived there for five years and spent a lot of that time on two wheels because every day there is bike weather), just rent a bike. There's about a zillion bike rental companies in Honolulu like: http://www.bigkahunarentals.com/ or http://cruzinhawaii.com/

I considered this but it seems the only rental place on Kauai is the local Harley dealer (unless you want a scooter). I ran the idea of a Dyna or such by the GF but in the end we decided against bringing all of our gear etc. We're going to be doing a lot of hiking so a bike wouldn't be very practical.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I love being Uncle Tony. Everyone needs an uncle Tony.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

On my way home last night, I saw a very well-kept mid-90's Caprice and it made me wonder - what ever happened to Der Blitzkrieger?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

4 days of hitting the gym, alternating between groups of muscles on the weight equipment, but always getting at least an hour of cardio in. Mostly

My resting pulse has already gone from 90s to upper 60s/lower 70s. Blood pressure has been under control for several weeks (since I cut WAY back on drinking); I actually plan to ask my doctor to lower my dose of the blood pressure med at our next appointment, I've seen 99/58 once already (granted, while barely awake), which is a bit lower than I'm comfortable with. From what little reading I've done on the med I'm on (lisinopril), it can actually make it really difficult to hit your target heart rate while doing cardio; I'm noticing it's hard to break 140 (my own target) without going balls to the wall for a bit, but then I'm out of breath after about 30 seconds and it shoots to over 170 for a couple of minutes (which is very uncomfortable for me).

Saw 118/72 when I got home from the gym this morning (so about 15 minutes after I quit exercising). I'm thinking once I get a bit of weight off that bottom # will drop, along with getting the cholesterol down more, but my first appointment with this doctor had me at over 160/100.

Blood work next Tuesday. :ohdear: Hopefully my liver and cholesterol levels will have dropped quite a bit.

Also, nothing more humbling than getting lapped by a guy who had to be at least 75... on every lap (each lap around the track is 1/10 of a mile). Dude was booking it and looked like he was just taking a fast stroll through a park; I had to come close to a full out run to keep up with him when I tried. :wtc:

e: I actually tried drinking a Dr. Pepper yesterday; I've been mostly drinking water, with the occasional Dr. Pepper 10 (10 calories, so just a hint of HFCS with a lot of aspartame). I got halfway through it before I wanted to puke, it was too drat sweet. I used to guzzle that poo poo like it was water.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 19, 2014

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
What are you using to track your heart rate while exercising STR?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

All of the cardio equipment at the gym I use (a city-owned rec center) has built in heart rate monitors; you just hold on to the grips. They can also wirelessly connect to some monitors. They have pretty modern stuff; it's the exact same equipment that was in the (very high end) student rec center when I was attending UNT, just less of it (and zero eye candy compared to UNT... unless you really like 60+ year olds :barf: - I'm usually one of the younger people there if you ignore the basketball courts, and I'm closer to 40 than 30).

When I'm using their track, I just take it myself every few minutes to get a (very) rough estimate. There's clocks with second hands all over the place, and I can always pull my phone out and look at the timer on the fitness app. I just do a 5 second count and multiply by 12 if I'm still moving; I'll do a 15 second count and multiply by 4 if I've actually stopped or slowed to a slow walk. I can get a rough idea in 2-3 seconds if I'm running... which at this point is still super rare; the best I've been able to do so far is a sprint around half the track before running out of breath; the track is 1/10 of a mile. I'd like to be able to run a couple of laps full out within a month.

This one works with my fitness tracking app (Endomondo), my phone (which supports the latest Bluetooth Low Power devices) and the cardio equipment at the gym.. Seems to be in the $50 range on Amazon. It's also waterproof, so my goon sweat shouldn't (in theory) hurt it.

I haven't done any form of exercise in about 2 years, and it shows. It's just hard not to push myself too hard; today has me hurting the most, despite being the shortest session. Probably need to take a couple of days off from any cardio involving walking/running. It does help that I was walking/biking several miles a day as recently as 2 years ago (living on a university campus back then), and my job has me on my feet all day, but my legs are definitely unhappy at the moment.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 19, 2014

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

BrokenKnucklez posted:

That's a bigger commitment than a kid. Best of luck.

Good. Consider it practice. He told me to pick out something that I want to drive, so I'm thinking a 2002.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

goatse guy posted:

Good. Consider it practice. He told me to pick out something that I want to drive, so I'm thinking a 2002.

A couple that can fix rust together, stays together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

My girlfriend left me like 2 weeks after doing a huge project on her car together :smith:

• Locked thread