Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

dik-dik posted:

Is there any such thing as a chrome extension that will periodically remind me to check certain webpages? E.g. once a week I want a reminder to fill out the latest survey on Reward Survey.

What about a calendar? Or an alarm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'd think windows scheduled task to launch the browser to it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Chrome desktop notifications + google calendar entry is probably your best bet. You can create a separate calendar just for little stuff like that, and it'll probably work out pretty well. I don't know of any specific extension though.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Is there a reason why chrome is saving as .webp images that firefox is saving as .jpg?
How can I fix this?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Is there a reason why chrome is saving as .webp images that firefox is saving as .jpg?
How can I fix this?
Are you using any sort of data compression proxy (eg, 'reduce data usage' extension)?

Can you confirm whether it's loading a jpg in the actual page? (Right-click, 'inspect element' will open the dev tools and jump to the image reference in the source.)

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Some sites send webp images to Chrome, and send jpgs to Firefox. Chrome supported webp first, if Firefox supports them at all yet. Your could try change your user agent string to get whichever format you prefer, unless the site is using the Accepts header to determine which format to send, and then you'll have to explain what you're trying to do to get a better solution.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I updated Chrome to "36.0.1985.143 m" today and now every single YouTube video embedded into a thread here will autoplay.

For example: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3291523&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=122

All three YouTube videos just play simultaneously at the same time...it's very jarring and loud. is there a fix?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

ThermoPhysical posted:

I updated Chrome to "36.0.1985.143 m" today and now every single YouTube video embedded into a thread here will autoplay.

For example: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3291523&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=122

All three YouTube videos just play simultaneously at the same time...it's very jarring and loud. is there a fix?

I normally keep flash set to 'click to play'

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I've tried that in the past but it seems to break quite a bit of websites I go to. Even if they don't have Flash visibly (or embedded otherwise) in the page.

I think I remember someone complaining that Chrome does it wrong or something?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've tried that in the past but it seems to break quite a bit of websites I go to. Even if they don't have Flash visibly (or embedded otherwise) in the page.

I think I remember someone complaining that Chrome does it wrong or something?

As far as I'm concerned it's all the websites that abuse flash that are doing it wrong.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

As far as I'm concerned it's all the websites that abuse flash that are doing it wrong.

Pretty sure it's the browser this time. I just enabled click to play and it still autoplays.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

According to Lowtax, it is a change that Youtube made.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

beejay posted:

According to Lowtax, it is a change that Youtube made.

Apparently it's the Chromecast extension. There's supposed to be an update to it today but people have been throwing complaints at Google who promptly closed them saying that the fix will be rolling out today.

I've had it happen on every other site now too that embeds YouTube.

Only way to fix it in the mean time is to apparently uninstall the Chromecast extension, restart the PC (as apparently restarting Chrome isn't enough), and just use it that way until the extension gets an update.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Is that now a native feature or does it still require an extension?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
More details on the Chromecast extension/YouTube autoplay issue: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/08/19/psa-the-chromecast-chrome-extension-is-making-all-youtube-vides-autoplay-in-chrome/

YouTube is issuing a fix later today.

pupdive posted:

Is that now a native feature or does it still require an extension?

This has been a native feature for years.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Pretty sure it's the browser this time. I just enabled click to play and it still autoplays.

I was being facetious. In any event many embedded vids use HTML5 by default nowadays so they load up and play; and retarded website designers seem to think people want videos and music clips to start playing by themselves.

My point was that many many websites use flash just because they can, when really they shouldn't; and I just want to find your menu or make a reservation but I need to sit through flash animations and idiotic transition effects... you get the point. Flash pretty much needs to die.

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008
What is going on with my address bar? It looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/DxhBTWI.png I have to click the button that says forums.somethingawful.com in that image to get to see the actual URL.

It started yesterday but it is only happening on this particular machine. All of the machines I checked it on are updated to the latest chrome version. I think that I somehow managed to press a shortcut that makes this happen. Regular settings and flags do not seem to have a setting for this problem.

Has anybody seen this before?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Are you using the beta version? It's a feature they are/were testing on some users/installs.

Chrome://flags

Enable origin chip in Omnibox -> disabled.

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008
That did it. Thank you.

I really wonder how activated this, I'm not on beta (never was) and hadn't opened the flags thing for months.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Nezzar posted:

That did it. Thank you.

I really wonder how activated this, I'm not on beta (never was) and hadn't opened the flags thing for months.

Google often uses its users as guinea pigs, arbitrarily enabling different experimental settings on random samples of people for testing. It may just have been pushed out to you with an update.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Holy gently caress the new Chrome 37 stable version sucks.

The DirectWrite implementation makes text look like poo poo, and now my bookmark bar is huge and looks like something from the Giant World in Super Mario Bros. 3 :psyduck:

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EugeneJ posted:

Holy gently caress the new Chrome 37 stable version sucks.

The DirectWrite implementation makes text look like poo poo, and now my bookmark bar is huge and looks like something from the Giant World in Super Mario Bros. 3 :psyduck:

i just installed that new stable 64bit chrome and the text was all weird also.

I fixed the text problem via adjusting cleartype settings via :> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/tune.aspx

make sure chrome etc are closed then visit in Internet Explorer, you'll have to run the plugin thing that pops up then adjust to your liking then re-launch chrome and text should look normal again.'

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

As far as direct write goes, if you've run the cleartype configuration, and you still don't like it you can still disable it in the chrome://flags page - it just defaults to on now that's all. Personally I like it. I think it also pays to use the right font with it as well - I like to use Segoe UI.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Atrocious Pirate posted:

I fixed the text problem via adjusting cleartype settings via :> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/tune.aspx

make sure chrome etc are closed then visit in Internet Explorer, you'll have to run the plugin thing that pops up then adjust to your liking then re-launch chrome and text should look normal again.'

Ah the struggle between option 3 and 4 in step 3. This may give me a nightmare about making the wrong choice.

EDIT: Still feel as though the font looks weird, in particular the underlining

xilni fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 27, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

xilni posted:

Ah the struggle between option 3 and 4 in step 3. This may give me a nightmare about making the wrong choice.

It's not supposed to look like that. That sort of blurriness can be caused by a couple of things.

1. Are you using windows 8? If so:

right click on the Chrome executable, hit properties, and go to the compatibility tab. Select 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings'

2. Do you have an AMD graphics card?

There is a particular AA setting in the control panel which fucks up various programs if you tick it. I don't have an AMD card anymore but from memory its called Morphological AA.

It could also be your choice of font I guess. Chrome's default font is Times New Roman for some reason which should have died out a long time ago.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

The Lord Bude posted:

It's not supposed to look like that. That sort of blurriness can be caused by a couple of things.

1. Are you using windows 8? If so:

right click on the Chrome executable, hit properties, and go to the compatibility tab. Select 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings'

2. Do you have an AMD graphics card?

There is a particular AA setting in the control panel which fucks up various programs if you tick it. I don't have an AMD card anymore but from memory its called Morphological AA.

It could also be your choice of font I guess. Chrome's default font is Times New Roman for some reason which should have died out a long time ago.

1. No, Windows 7 Professional

2. No, nVidia GeForce GTX 570

I don't recall ever making any changes to any font related settings. All display settings in Chrome should be default.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Atrocious Pirate posted:

There's a stable version of 64-bit Chrome already?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

ThermoPhysical posted:

There's a stable version of 64-bit Chrome already?

Yes it was released today (8/26) I believe.

https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/?platform=win64

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

xilni posted:

Yes it was released today (8/26) I believe.

https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/?platform=win64

Oh gently caress yeah! Does it replace the 32-bit version or does it install alongside it?

EDIT: Does it support extensions? I've checked around and apparently it doesn't?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 27, 2014

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

xilni posted:

in the about :flags page disable directwrite

Also https://code.google.com/p/mactype/ Install & run this afterwards you can re-enable the directwrite in about :flags again it seems to fix the no directwrite option

NVB fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 27, 2014

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh gently caress yeah! Does it replace the 32-bit version or does it install alongside it?

EDIT: Does it support extensions? I've checked around and apparently it doesn't?

You have to download the installer a new to get the 64 bit edition. Merely having your 32 bit edition update does not get you the 64 bit client. However when I ran and completed the new installer it seems to have replaced my installation so there's that.

So far I haven't had any problems with my extensions (lastpass, https everywhere, ad blocker, disconnect, etc...) but your mileage may vary, extensions are the real wild cards with browser performance in that they're responsible for most browser problems people have.

Atrocious Pirate posted:

in the about :flags page disable directwrite

Also https://code.google.com/p/mactype/ Install & run this afterwards you can re-enable the directwrite in about :flags again it seems to fix the no directwrite option

Thank you, I'll be sure to try this and follow up when I get back to my PC.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

xilni posted:

1. No, Windows 7 Professional

2. No, nVidia GeForce GTX 570

I don't recall ever making any changes to any font related settings. All display settings in Chrome should be default.

Chrome defaults to Times New Toman though, which is a lovely outdated font from last century that wasn't designed for modern computer screens and the antialiasing techniques that are used by modern operating systems to make stuff look good. Try changing chrome's font to Calibri or Segoe UI (the later is the standard modern UI font that Microsoft uses). If you insist on using a serif font then use cambria.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

xilni posted:

Yeah my god, I came in here for the same thing, everything looks awful now.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

The Lord Bude posted:

Chrome defaults to Times New Toman though, which is a lovely outdated font from last century that wasn't designed for modern computer screens and the antialiasing techniques that are used by modern operating systems to make stuff look good. Try changing chrome's font to Calibri or Segoe UI (the later is the standard modern UI font that Microsoft uses). If you insist on using a serif font then use cambria.

I'm on my mac laptop at the moment but I assume it's the same setting here "Customize Fonts"?

I don't know why but I noticed my Mac was also rendering the page like this, not nearly as terrible as the WIndows problem but:

So I went ahead and changed the "Standard Font" to Calibri.

xilni fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 27, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

xilni posted:

I'm on my mac laptop at the moment but I assume it's the same setting here "Customize Fonts"?

I don't know why but I noticed my Mac was also rendering the page like this, not nearly as terrible as the WIndows problem but:

So I went ahead and changed the "Standard Font" to Calibri.

That's the setting. I'll be interested to see if that fixes the issue.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Display scaling made my fonts look horrible with 64bit Chrome, disabling that combined with changing the font away from Times New Roman it looks like it did before!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Hi thread,

since yesterday switching tabs in google chrome on my windows 7 pc (Version 37.0.2062.94 m) has started to take around 2 seconds each time. At first I thought it was an extension, so I disabled, and then uninstalled all of them, to no avail. Have restarted etc. I get a pretty massive spike in performance when changing tabs (monitored in task manager) but I haven't looked at this before hand so no idea if this is normal.

Is there a setting that was just rolled out or something that could be causing this?

I don't really want to use another browser, I've finally got syncing across my devices working and so on, but I have some research to do and the couple of second wait switching tabs is driving me absolutely crazy.

Thanks!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
So I encountered the same lovely text scaling as everyone else. It was originally like that when I updated to Windows 8.1, but changing the display scaling options in Windows fixed it. That new update killed all that, though.

However, running chrome with /high-dpi-support=1 /force-device-scale-factor=1 seems to help

EDIT: I'm increasingly convinced that it doesn't entirely fix the issue, but at least the fonts seem to be back to their previous sizes.

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 28, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I love how Chrome has three release stages (more if you count Canary) and this kind of poo poo still ends up rolling right through into Stable. The improvements are nice when they work, having users running around reconfiguring what used to be fine... not so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Man it looks like poo poo and none of the tips in this thread have helped. I don't exactly want to go back to firefox but I guess I can deal with a memory leak or two until chrome gets better again.