Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Orkin Mang posted:

So what is negative gearing, and what are these superannuation tax concessions I keep seeing allusions to

Investor welfare

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

Welfare is bad because it robs the wretched masses of their impetus to rise up, murder the ruling class and institute a better welfare state. :eng101:

Endman sighed as he lead the chorus of 'La Marseillaise'

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Nibbles! posted:

I think high density housing is one of those things that's just going to take time to sell. Residents are the ones who complain currently; years down the track when it's their inheriting kids looking to cash in and pressures from people as there's just no more housing it's going to go down much easier.

This is one of the problems I have with the Greens :( Lots of opposition to increased density. Some of it is fair, since the density is coming without increases in services like water or public transport, but some of it is just straight up NIMBYism. The opposition to high-rise development in Newcastle is a good example.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Quantum Mechanic posted:

This is one of the problems I have with the Greens :( Lots of opposition to increased density. Some of it is fair, since the density is coming without increases in services like water or public transport, but some of it is just straight up NIMBYism. The opposition to high-rise development in Newcastle is a good example.

Matt Cowgill has written some good stuff about this. I agree.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
My local greens are up in arms about the mergers of local councils in the Western Suburbs (read super rich) of Perth. These ratepayers paid for this particular building why should it now go to these people instead? Managing to completely miss that people move in and out of suburbs all the time, and that most of the councils are too small and inefficient and that guys, we really have bigger fish to fry.

I tend to just :endman: and tune out.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Quantum Mechanic posted:

That's good to hear coming from a candidate. I have a problem with local govt Greens for the same reason. Good quality denser housing around rail corridors makes sense. If we can get somewhere with high speed rail and the NBN it can make sense reaching further in to the countryside also.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

hooman posted:

Endman sighed as he lead the chorus of 'La Marseillaise'

There'd be no sighing if that were the case.

Still, you've got to admit there's a point to be made there. Welfare is kept just low enough to prevent mobility and innovation from the lower classes, yet high enough to encourage complacency and, when combined with a media narrative describing its recipients as the "undeserving poor", marginalise people by consuming them with their own shame.

Brilliant tool for social engineering really. Not that I'm saying social engineering is a bad thing. It can be used positively to great effect.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You can be against high rises without being against density. I used to think that skyscrapers were necessary for a dense city until I went to Paris. Six storeys is enough.

[edit: I'm not against skyscrapers, but if people are that doesn't mean density is impossible to achieve.]

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Welfare isn't really high enough for complacency, you can't live on the dole. Welfare kicking is always the unemployed, *my* welfare is the ok stuff.

We know from the last enquiry that pensioners are the largest rorters of the system, but when did you last hear a peep about it?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'd say it is high enough to encourage the sort of complacency that springs from the sentiment that you're "getting enough" out of the system. It may not actually be enough to live off when you really do the maths, but the overwhelming public sentiment, even among recipients of unemployment benefits, is that it is more than enough. Enough anyway to feel shame for being on the dole. I know I've been in that situation myself, feeling ashamed that I have to ask for money from the government because I'm too weak to earn for myself.

It all combines to form a narrative that keeps unemployment welfare recipients under the proverbial thumb.

Endman
May 18, 2010

The shame in the Centrelink office on reporting day is so palpable you'd have trouble cutting it with a breadknife.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

owns

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I'd like more density there, but building a 19 storey building in front of the Cathedral is a bit loving poo poo.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

There'd be no sighing if that were the case.

Still, you've got to admit there's a point to be made there. Welfare is kept just low enough to prevent mobility and innovation from the lower classes, yet high enough to encourage complacency and, when combined with a media narrative describing its recipients as the "undeserving poor", marginalise people by consuming them with their own shame.

Brilliant tool for social engineering really. Not that I'm saying social engineering is a bad thing. It can be used positively to great effect.

I don't disagree with you at all. It's there to keep the proles down so we don't rise up and eat the rich. It's just the rich seem to lose sight of that frequently, or that most of their riches come from poors buying their stuff with the money the rich pay them.

Seriously, why are the captains of industry so bad at understanding what an economy is.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

hooman posted:

I don't disagree with you at all. It's there to keep the proles down so we don't rise up and eat the rich. It's just the rich seem to lose sight of that frequently, or that most of their riches come from poors buying their stuff with the money the rich pay them.

Seriously, why are the captains of industry so bad at understanding what an economy is.

Privilege.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Quantum Mechanic posted:

The opposition to high-rise development in Newcastle is a good example.
Newcastle actually is a special case. The whole of the city area is multiply undermined and nobody can predict the effect that this will have on foundations should there be another earthquake. They tried to do some development in Swansea and the whole site fell away as they were excavating.

http://www.minesub.nsw.gov.au/templates/mine_subsidence_board.aspx?pageID=3758

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
We need to double the size of our military to prevent a Chinese invasion and our grandchildren being slaves, said Senator Jacqui Lambe.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'd like more density there, but building a 19 storey building in front of the Cathedral is a bit loving poo poo.

Cartoon posted:

Newcastle actually is a special case. The whole of the city area is multiply undermined and nobody can predict the effect that this will have on foundations should there be another earthquake. They tried to do some development in Swansea and the whole site fell away as they were excavating.

http://www.minesub.nsw.gov.au/templates/mine_subsidence_board.aspx?pageID=3758

These are both true, but I know better than to believe the same opposition wouldn't be around if they were six-storey heritage-styled buildings on a perfect foundation.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Gough Suppressant posted:

We need to double the size of our military to prevent a Chinese invasion and our grandchildren being slaves, said Senator noted crazy person Jacqui Lambe.

Fixed that for you.

Every time I hear the name "Jacqui Lambie", I see in my minds eye, that footage of her getting excited about the carbon tax repeal going through and I die a little inside.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Bompacho posted:

Fixed that for you.

¿Porque no los dos?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Bompacho posted:

Fixed that for you.

Every time I hear the name "Jacqui Lambie", I see in my minds eye, that footage of her getting excited about the carbon tax repeal going through and I die a little inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQivPDyEr3Y
THANKS PUP
*dont read the comments*

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQivPDyEr3Y
THANKS PUP
*dont read the comments*

hoooorrrraayyyyyyyyyy!!!!! kudos to the right minded people of australia....you have gained your freedom and kicked those no good money junkies who wants to rob you of your wealth. with credible science on your back and good people who made this senseless money milking ponzy scheme of the globalist thrown in the waste basket where it should be in the first place....australia 1, money junkies, globalist 0. australia now, tommorrow the world....More power to you.

EDIT: Next time someone wants to buy me a custom title that supports something horrible can you please append: "edging towards suicide, one youtube comment at a time."

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Jacqui Lambie: Australia's answer to Sarah Palin

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

open24hours posted:

You can be against high rises without being against density. I used to think that skyscrapers were necessary for a dense city until I went to Paris. Six storeys is enough.

[edit: I'm not against skyscrapers, but if people are that doesn't mean density is impossible to achieve.]

I was the same, massively pro-skyscrapers until I visited some wonderfully dense places in Europe that were only 4-7 stories. Really, why do apartments need to be so small? If you stack 7 'normal' Australian sized houses on top of each other you've just increased density by 7x and everyone has the same living space. Obviously I don't literally want to do this - imagine all those faux arches and garages suspended in the sky - but it's frustrating that in Australia you can either have a large house in the suburbs or a tiny apartment in the cities, anything else and you can gently caress off we're full m8

Sorry I'm not sure what point I was making here.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

CrazyTolradi posted:

Jacqui Lambie: Australia's answer to Sarah Palin

That's pretty unfair on Jacqui Lambie, who seems to be a very well intentioned person who doesn't understand some things very well and lacks some image management. She calls a spade a spade and is very critical on policies which she can recognise as not being good for the people who elected her.

Sarah Palin was a carefully crafted mouthpiece used to sell lies to the american public on behalf of big business.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Clive where the gently caress is my Titanic 2.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Useless but interesting polls

GhostWhoVotes ‏@GhostWhoVotes 51s
#Essential Poll If Senate blocks most of Budget what should Govt do: A new Budget 38 Call election 43 #auspol

#Essential Poll Is Federal Budget good or bad for Aust jobs: Good 21 Bad 49 #auspol

#Essential Poll Is economy headed in right or wrong direction: Right 35 (-4) Wrong 41 (+7) #auspol

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Haha, I love the Australian Public, they sit there twiddling their thumbs with a big red button labelled "WRONG" then proceed to watch the Federal Government and wait for a reason to slam the button and put on sunglasses.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Australia is dumb baby and doesn't know what it want or what good for it

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Haha, I love the Australian Public, they sit there twiddling their thumbs with a big red button labelled "WRONG" then proceed to watch the Federal Government and wait for a reason to slam the button and put on sunglasses.

Things Australians Hate:
Carbon tax
Repealing carbon tax
Good relations with Indonesia
Bad relations with Indonesia
Cuts
Deficits
Not enough infrastructure
Infrastructure spending
Privatising public assets
Govt. run businesses
Welfare
Starving poors/veterans/pensioners
Destroying workers rights
Unions
Dodgy business practices
Red tape

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Haters Objector posted:

Australia is dumb baby and doesn't know what it want or what good for it

Current Liberal rhetoric.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

my stepdads beer posted:

I was the same, massively pro-skyscrapers until I visited some wonderfully dense places in Europe that were only 4-7 stories. Really, why do apartments need to be so small? If you stack 7 'normal' Australian sized houses on top of each other you've just increased density by 7x and everyone has the same living space. Obviously I don't literally want to do this - imagine all those faux arches and garages suspended in the sky - but it's frustrating that in Australia you can either have a large house in the suburbs or a tiny apartment in the cities, anything else and you can gently caress off we're full m8

Sorry I'm not sure what point I was making here.

How to fit more density into an area without going full skyscraper is something that I've thought about a bit this year. When I moved to Australia, I moved to the Surfers Paradise area which is built up of very expensive high rises casting a shadow over very run-down and low-rent single floor side-by-side units. Then I moved to Perth for two years and god drat. The only places to live in most areas of Perth were literal honest to god houses <in> the city. I was 3 km from the city centre in a 3 bedroom house with a back yard and a front yard, not because I needed any of these things but because there really wasn't any other options available (add to this a rather massive competition for housing; to any open house I attended there were at least 20 attendees and the only way that I was successful in securing the house that I got was to be THAT GUY who offered an extra $40 per week over the advertised price).

I've since moved back to the Gold Coast and I don't know if it's because the northern GC suburbs are a newer area than the rest of the city or because it's zoned differently but the whole of Biggera Waters/runaway bay/part of Labrador are units stacked 3-4 high. It's a really good compromise; the density here is quite thick but the 4 story homes don't feel imposing or unfriendly (like in Surfers), they're inexpensive (300 per week is paying for a 2 bedroom unit on the beach with a private jetty in a complex with two pools and other luxuries) and the proximity of everything to everything means that everyone is sharing space on the canals and beach. It's really livible and it's the only place in Australia I've seen this particular density of housing.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo,

PNG has made arrests of G4S employees for the murder of Reza Berati.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/19/manus-unrest-two-guards-charged-murder-reza-barati

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

hooman posted:

Holy poo poo,

PNG has made arrests of G4S employees for the murder of Reza Berati.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/19/manus-unrest-two-guards-charged-murder-reza-barati

Private industry produces the most efficient murderers.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

hooman posted:

That's pretty unfair on Jacqui Lambie, who seems to be a very well intentioned person who doesn't understand some things very well and lacks some image management. She calls a spade a spade and is very critical on policies which she can recognise as not being good for the people who elected her.

Sarah Palin was a carefully crafted mouthpiece used to sell lies to the american public on behalf of big business.

Jacqui Lambie is well intentioned, she just doesn't want us overrun by the chinese hordes and forced into slavery. An entirely understandable position.

Like you are seriously going to try and paint someone who has stood for every party which would take her as being some kind of principled well intentioned person?

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 19, 2014

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

http://www.crikey.com.au/2014/08/19/crikey-says-department-of-australia-joins-crikey/

That's a good move by crikey

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Like you are seriously going to try and paint someone who has stood for every party which would take her as being some kind of principled well intentioned person?

This.

She supports whatever policies are polling well, for as long as it's polling well.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jacqui Lambie is well intentioned, she just doesn't want us overrun by the chinese hordes and forced into slavery. An entirely understandable position.

Are you going to seriously call her as bad as Palin? Or as any member of the liberal party? Principled is a relative term here...

She may be a weathervane, but that's not as terrible as just being bad all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

hooman posted:

Are you going to seriously call her as bad as Palin? Or as any member of the liberal party? Principled is a relative term here...

She may be a weathervane, but that's not as terrible as just being bad all the time.

She tried to join the liberals! So yes, she is as bad as any member of the liberal party.

• Locked thread