Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I don't know the state of Fry's electronics, but at Best Buy this is almost always just fine.

It's mostly pricing and selection. Granted, I haven't been in Fry's for a long time, but years ago they actually had decent price and selection. Best Buy is a little better than it used to be but is still overpriced and understocked for a lot of items, and the last time I looked at Fry's they weren't priced as low as I remember them being.

The main thing is that there used to be some options down here: Circuit City and Good Guys at least provided some alternatives for brick-and-mortar electronics. Now there isn't even that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I don't know the state of Fry's electronics, but at Best Buy this is almost always just fine.

Having experienced Fry's in California, eh it is a real crap shoot.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Does anyone remember back in the Bush administration when Bush pushed for the BPA to raise its rates because it "wasn't fair" that we got all this ultra-cheap hydro electricity and the feds could use the income? Did anything come out of that? I thought it didn't go anywhere but one of my co-workers is convinced that it did get implemented.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
We had this discussion in the chat thread already, so I'll be brief: neapolitan pizza is an entirely inferior product to American pizza, and you are wrong if you like it. Thank you.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Does anyone remember back in the Bush administration when Bush pushed for the BPA to raise its rates because it "wasn't fair" that we got all this ultra-cheap hydro electricity and the feds could use the income? Did anything come out of that? I thought it didn't go anywhere but one of my co-workers is convinced that it did get implemented.

I don't remember that specifically, but BPA still has relatively inexpensive transmission rates.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Thanatosian posted:

We had this discussion in the chat thread already, so I'll be brief: neapolitan pizza is an entirely inferior product to American pizza, and you are wrong if you like it. Thank you.

I absolutely love Kylie's deep dish pizza in Fremont. It's the big thick deep dish pizza that Chicago is famous for, but it's not totally loaded in grease and meat. The sauce is great and full of chunky tomato bits. Also a big fan of the house salad they do with blue cheese. Definitely worth checking out if you want a different pizza style.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

mod sassinator posted:

I absolutely love Kylie's deep dish pizza in Fremont. It's the big thick deep dish pizza that Chicago is famous for, but it's not totally loaded in grease and meat. The sauce is great and full of chunky tomato bits. Also a big fan of the house salad they do with blue cheese. Definitely worth checking out if you want a different pizza style.

How does Kylie's compare with Delfino's?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

bartkusa posted:

How does Kylie's compare with Delfino's?

I had Delfino's once long ago and wasn't really impressed. Nothing really jumped out as special. Felt like it was just trying to be a college pizza joint.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mod sassinator posted:

I had Delfino's once long ago and wasn't really impressed. Nothing really jumped out as special. Felt like it was just trying to be a college pizza joint.

Oldschool in Olympia is great for that real college pizza joint feel, it also is pretty good real merican pizza. What is neapolitan pizza? Is it like thin crust fusion pizzas? I see those everywhere and sometimes they can be good especially with bbq sauce and bacon.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 16, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Reason posted:

Oldschool in Olympia is great for that real college pizza joint feel, it also is pretty good real merican pizza. What is neapolitan pizza? Is it like thin crust fusion pizzas? I see those everywhere and sometimes they can be good especially with bbq sauce and bacon.
No, it's a very plain pie with mozzarella and basil.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I miss Piecora--super greasy and floppy New York style slices. The service there was terrrrible but drat if the pizza wasn't tasty. There really isn't much good New York style pizza in Seattle from what I've seen. Topolinos in Bellevue isn't too bad.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

No, it's a very plain pie with mozzarella and basil.

On a thin crust, with a watery tomato sauce, burned on the bottom, cold in the middle.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

seiferguy posted:

My brother and his wife got married by a judge (a friend of my dad) with just the parents in attendance as witnesses. You can always go to court for marriage for something quick and easy.

Eh, sort of. I was the witness for a marriage ceremony at the King County courthouse about five years ago and the judge they assigned to my two friends wanted to talk about their relationship and then he started going on and on about how "marriage is a canoe" and the whole thing was really awkward and forced. It lasted twice as long as it really needed to but when you consider that we were only there for about an hour, that's not so bad.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Tutta Bella owned, thanks goons! It would absolutely fit in with the better pizzas I had in Naples.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 17, 2014

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Accretionist posted:

Tutta Bella owned, thanks goons! It would absolutely fit in with the heterosexual pizzas I had in Naples.

what's even the point of a hetero pizza?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The Autocorrect is a strangle and fickle piece of software.

Reason posted:

Oldschool in Olympia is great for that real college pizza joint feel, it also is pretty good real merican pizza. What is neapolitan pizza?

They're these light, flavorful, juicy pizzas from Naples that cook up in like 80 seconds in scorching hot wood ovens. Done right, they're amazing. Flavorful sauce, juicy cheese, a crust with a delicious char and a nice bite to it. They're easy to do wrong, though, hence the particularity about accuracy. Done right, everything comes together beautifully. I must have eaten at least 20 when I visited Naples. I love these drat things.

If you're wondering about juicy cheese, fresh mozzarella has high moisture content and is wonderful.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Speaking of food a friend just turned me on to Mama Lil's Peppers from Portland and holy crap are they amazing. It's spicy pickeled peppers in oil and they go really well on a sandwich or as a bruschetta.

Dolex
May 5, 2001

Chantilly Say posted:

Friend of mine moved from PDX to NOLA and had people ask her "but why would you ever want to leave Portland?!" and tell her they were moving there as soon as they could.

(there are actually jobs in Louisiana)
Is this person a chemical/petroleum engineer or in the film industry? I find it hard to believe there are more jobs in NOLA than there are in Portland.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

mod sassinator posted:

Speaking of food a friend just turned me on to Mama Lil's Peppers from Portland and holy crap are they amazing. It's spicy pickeled peppers in oil and they go really well on a sandwich or as a bruschetta.

Oh these look goooood, adding to my amazon wishlist.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dolex posted:

Is this person a chemical/petroleum engineer or in the film industry? I find it hard to believe there are more jobs in NOLA than there are in Portland.

Film.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Speaking of pizza, where can I get good deep dish pizza in Portland? It seems a big hard to find around here. :(

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

HondaCivet posted:

Speaking of pizza, where can I get good deep dish pizza in Portland? It seems a big hard to find around here. :(

Via Chicago on Alberta?

Deep Dish Pizza always seemed like winter food to me. I would get stuffed after 1-2 slices.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Are there any places that serve Neapolitan pizza in Portland? I'd like to try it out, after reading about it here.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

HondaCivet posted:

Thick is a food cart downtown, they're open for lunch.

Hedera Helix posted:

Are there any places that serve Neapolitan pizza in Portland? I'd like to try it out, after reading about it here.
Like any goddamn where. Dove Vivi, Ken's Artisan, Apizza Scholls, Nostrana, there are a ton of pizza places in Portland.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Wound up at Straight From New York Pizza on Belmont this evening. It is exactly what it sounds like, if that's your thing.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Oh these look goooood, adding to my amazon wishlist.

They're really tasty. To combine two different conversational threads, they make an excellent pizza topping, whether you're eating out at one of the places that uses them or making pizza for yourself at home.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah one thing Portland is not lacking is tons of pizza of multiple varieties including gluten-free/vegan.

What can't you find in Portland? Non-steakhouse Brazilian food? West African?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If you can think of it I wouldn't put money against there being at least a food cart of it somewhere in the metro area.

Like, I never knew "Vietnamese subs" was a thing you could base a restaurant on, but it exists and is pretty loving good.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Wasn't this supposed to be a politics thread? Anyone know a good place to get pollo en la brasa in Seattle?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ardennes posted:

Yeah one thing Portland is not lacking is tons of pizza of multiple varieties including gluten-free/vegan.

Brazilian food is around in both food-cart and regular form, but all of the African places I can think of are Ethiopian/Eritrean. Oh and Chez Dodo, but I have no idea how representative of Mauritian cuisine it is. Doesn't matter to me though, as it's a tasty lunch option regardless.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ardennes posted:

Probably soul food.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Wanamingo posted:

Probably soul food.

There are attempts at it but I don't know how representative of it.

What would Screen Door be classified as? Southern Chic?

As for politics, I don't think anything recently has come up. It looks like MJ is going to be legalized I guess?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

anthonypants posted:

Like any goddamn where. Dove Vivi, Ken's Artisan, Apizza Scholls, Nostrana, there are a ton of pizza places in Portland.

Oops, I wasn't aware that Neapolitan pizzas and margheritas were synonymous. I don't know if I've had those specifically, but I have eaten at Dove Vivi, and their food is really good.

Javid posted:

If you can think of it I wouldn't put money against there being at least a food cart of it somewhere in the metro area.

Like, I never knew "Vietnamese subs" was a thing you could base a restaurant on, but it exists and is pretty loving good.

Best Baguette really is the best. :swoon:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ardennes posted:

Decent Chinese.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Javid posted:

The vietnamese sub place in Corvallis is delicious and cheap as hell.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

Probably soul food.

Po'Shines up in North Portland.

The wings they serve with their chicken and waffles are bigger than most places chicken legs. And they got mac n cheese, hushpuppies, catfish fried or blackened.

edit;

Ardennes posted:

As for politics, I don't think anything recently has come up. It looks like MJ is going to be legalized I guess?

Plans to build a coal terminal, bringing it in by train from Wyoming to be shipped to Asia, have been shut down.

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2014/08/oregon_department_of_state_lan_1.html

And shootings and gang problems seem to be on the rise in Portland.

http://www.opb.org/news/article/portland-meeting-to-battle-gun-violence/

Beowulfs_Ghost fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 19, 2014

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

anthonypants posted:

Decent Chinese.

Have you tried Lucky Strike?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

LGD posted:

Have you tried Lucky Strike?
No thanks, I'm trying to quit.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ardennes posted:

West African?

There used to be a super rad Ital food cart in the lot by the PSU engineering building. Sadly they didn't last 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Po'Shines up in North Portland.

The wings they serve with their chicken and waffles are bigger than most places chicken legs. And they got mac n cheese, hushpuppies, catfish fried or blackened.

edit;

Plans to build a coal terminal, bringing it in by train from Wyoming to be shipped to Asia, have been shut down.

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2014/08/oregon_department_of_state_lan_1.html

And shootings and gang problems seem to be on the rise in Portland.

http://www.opb.org/news/article/portland-meeting-to-battle-gun-violence/

I think WA is still trying to build a new coal shipping port or 2, but we have the nimby crowd doing what they can to slow/stop it. I can't blame em, running all that train traffic through downtown Seattle shuts down several big intersections, and the cars aren't even covered so coal dust flies all over the place. How loving cheap are the coal companies that they can't make a retractable cover like asphalt trucks?

• Locked thread