Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Darth Windu posted:

Don't sous vide. poo poo is a good way to get botulism.

Your other posts in here are looking for how to use a slow cooker and what to do with a piece of beef you don't know how to cook.

Maybe take it easy dishing out advice like "don't sous vide".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Chemmy posted:

Your other posts in here are looking for how to use a slow cooker and what to do with a piece of beef you don't know how to cook.

Maybe take it easy dishing out advice like "don't sous vide".

You should probably read my posts if you're going to be a weirdo and search for them. The beef was cooked already. Don't sous vide, it isn't worth the difficulty or food borne illnesses.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Darth Windu posted:

You should probably read my posts if you're going to be a weirdo and search for them. The beef was cooked already. Don't sous vide, it isn't worth the difficulty or food borne illnesses.

Please explain this "difficulty," and "illness" that is certain to ensue.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Darth Windu posted:

You should probably read my posts if you're going to be a weirdo and search for them. The beef was cooked already.
Yes, and you cooked it wrong, which indicates you don't know how to cook it, which is what Chemmy said. This indicates that you don't even spare the few seconds it takes to Google "how to cook eye of round" and find multiple sites saying "if you cook it like a regular steak it will be utter poo poo", which means that the bolded word below:

quote:

Don't sous vide, it isn't worth the difficulty or food borne illnesses.
apparently means "learning how to do a thing before doing it" in your vocabulary. So no, you should not sous vide. Anyone with two functioning brain cells can figure it out fine, thanks.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
"Oh my goodness following directions is ever so hard, instead I should crockpot everything on high for 16 hours."

Shockingly sous vide is awesome and safe if you learn how to do it right (which is no harder than anything else when you work on raising your cooking skill above Pizza Pops and Kraft Dinner really,) I'd certainly trust something coming from anyone who learned how to use their machine over anything from someone who needs directions on how to use a crockpot.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Darth Windu posted:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Pepperoni pizza sitting in a warm car...what's the window of safety on it? Is 4 hours too many?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Dude pepperoni pizza sitting out on the counter all night is perfectly okay if you're a college sophomore. Figure out how good your immune system is and go from there.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

To be fair he's already made it pretty clear that his bar for what constitutes effort is pretty low.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sous vide is so easy that I'm tempted to say it doesn't even feel like cooking. It's just two steps away from Jetsons food-o-matic.

:qq: it's so hard to look up cook temperatures and times on the internet, push a button on my machine and wait a couple hours for the food to finish :qq:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Darth Windu posted:

You shouldn't chop your own vegetables. You could cut yourself.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Darth Windu posted:

You shouldn't post.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Just to dogpile a little more on this poor ignorant toaster strudel: as long as you pay attention to recommended food times & temps, you will not get any food borne illnesses either. While the internal temp does not ever get up to instant death of pathogens, you can also pasteurize things by holding them at a lower temp for longer. It's not a popular technique because it's risky and dangerous and foodies want to roll the food poisoning dice. There's a lot of science and microbiology behind it that you clearly do not understand.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I bought a 1lb bag of Jack Links beef jerky and it's taking my longer than expected to eat. Can I add it to a recipe somehow? I thought about using it like bacon and putting a few piece in a sandwich or on a salad but that's all I can think of.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

I bought a 1lb bag of Jack Links beef jerky and it's taking my longer than expected to eat. Can I add it to a recipe somehow? I thought about using it like bacon and putting a few piece in a sandwich or on a salad but that's all I can think of.

Add it to a Cheeto consomme. or make a dorito/ramen broth with jerky chunks.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Drifter posted:

Oh dang, I bet soup with chopped up beef jerky would actually be pretty good.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Drifter posted:

This is actually making me think about a seasoned broth made with parm/other hard cheese rinds.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

mich posted:

Here's a guide on rice paper rolls: http://goonswithspoons.com/Vietname...cu.E1.BB.91n.29

The combo for the filling you listed would be good, you can vary it a lot. Basically you want a significant volume of the filling to be noodles and lettuce to provide structure, then some sort of protein (that page shows how to do Vietnamese grilled meats but you could just use poached meat/fried tofu and let the dipping sauce have most of the flavor), some fresh herbs to brighten the flavor, and something crunchy like bean sprouts or cucumber.

Prepared fish sauce or prepared hoisin sauce would be the two dipping sauces for Vietnamese rolls:

http://goonswithspoons.com/Cooking_Vietnamese#Vietnamese_Staples_and_Dipping_Sauces

Thanks a bunch, the one time I don't check the GWS wiki and it has exactly what I'm looking for. :)

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Safety Dance posted:

Oh dang, I bet soup with chopped up beef jerky would actually be pretty good.
When I was poor and in college, I did this once or twice. It wasn't bad. Just need to let it sit for a couple minutes to wait for it to soften up a bit. Now I feel dirty for admitting that. :smith:

Bob Morales, buy from this goon and you can forget your "leftover jerky" woes forever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I bought some from the Siracha jerkey goon a few times, and I think that guy once or twice.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

kinmik posted:

Bob Morales, buy from this goon and you can forget your "leftover jerky" woes forever.
Vouching for this, it is awesome jerky & worth the money.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aside from it being goony as gently caress, whats with all the fatty jerky love? I thought you wanted to avoid fat with jerky because its gets rancid.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bob Morales posted:

Dice it up and brown up with some onions in a risotto maybe

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Aside from it being goony as gently caress, whats with all the fatty jerky love? I thought you wanted to avoid fat with jerky because its gets rancid.

It's tasty and moist. If you're making jerky because you want to survive for months in the backcountry, it's not so good, but if you're eating jerky because it tastes good, who the hell cares?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I bought a package of Johnsonville apple chicken sausage and I'm trying to think of a way I could use them in a pasta dish. Can anyone think of some ingredients I could use for a sauce?

Since it's a pasta dish, I really wanna keep the sweetness down to a minimum besides the apples in the sausage. I was planning to cook them in walnut oil. Going by The Flavor Bible, it sounds like I could make a ginger cream sauce or a pesto with pine nuts and rosemary (with some dried apricots as a garnish, maybe). I could top it with Camembert or goat cheese. Does anyone have any other ideas for how I could flesh out either of these sauces? Other, less prominent ingredients I could use in supporting roles? Thanks!

What kind of pasta do you guys think I should use? I don't want to use penne; penne is so TV-dinner. Maybe rotini or angel hair?

EDIT: In case it comes up, I can't eat pork, so bacon's out.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 19, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CloseFriend posted:

EDIT: In case it comes up, I can't eat pork, so bacon's out.

That's too bad. Apple and pork go together like...apple and pork. Pork chops that is.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I personally hate the fatty jerky, but some people love it. The normal kinds are delicious, but I recommend lower salt if you're getting the original.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

GreyPowerVan posted:

I personally hate the fatty jerky, but some people love it. The normal kinds are delicious, but I recommend lower salt if you're getting the original.

Fatty jerky isn't a thing here in Seden so could someone explain to me what makes it any different in principle to other fatty cured and dried meats, such as Serrano ham or Lardo?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DekeThornton posted:

Fatty jerky isn't a thing here in Seden so could someone explain to me what makes it any different in principle to other fatty cured and dried meats, such as Serrano ham or Lardo?

It's beef jerky, so small strips individually dried instead of a huge chunk of meat dried and then sliced.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Toriori posted:

I made some really yummy vegetarian burgers tonight, white beans, sun-dried tomato, basil and garlic and bread crumbs being the ingredients. I'd love to make these for my mom, possibly at our next family barbecue but I found they were sticking to my pan a bit and a little crumbly, so I could see them sticking to the grill easily. What's the best way to make them bbq friendly?

First - Grill Prep. Get the grill good and hot and leave the grate on there for 10 or 15 minutes with the lid on. After that, clean it real good with a wire brush. Scrub it while it's hot and the gunk will come off easier. Finally, wad up a paper towel and dip it in vegetable oil. Rub that wad on the hot grates using tongs. Now your grill is hot, clean, and greased.

Second - Food Prep. I'm not clear on the consistency of the veggie patties that you are working with, but since all you are using appears to be pre-cooked veg, it should be more just basically heating up the patties. With that in mind, shape them first, then maybe toss them in the freezer for just a few minutes so they hold their shape and don't crumble as soon as they hit the heat. It'd also suggest using cooking spray on the patties before hitting the grill. Spray one side liberally, flip, spray again, put on the hot grill.

If you do all that, nothing should stick on the grill.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Recommendations for recipes that I can cook a huge batch of and freeze for individual reheating in a microwave later? My wife is going to be gone to her classes for a large portion of the day with no time to come home, so I need to find things that she can carry and microwave.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Look for stew recipes. Easiest to portion, freeze, reheat, fits any container you have. Doesn't matter if the texture gets hosed up because it's already a mush!

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

A good chili will actually get better in the fridge for leftovers. I've found chicken spaghetti works great as leftovers too. Regular pasta is probably out.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I'm gonna make Kisir as recommended by this thread.

Any suggestions for accompanying dishes for lunch?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Look for stew recipes. Easiest to portion, freeze, reheat, fits any container you have. Doesn't matter if the texture gets hosed up because it's already a mush!

Japacurry?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

GreyPowerVan posted:

All of this.
I've not tried kitty litter's (the Sriracha jerky goon) stuff, but it seems as if they're on their way out for the time being anyway.

If I'm making sad little Hot Pocket imitations, do I need to cut a vent in the top? How would you recommend I seal them? Egg wash and press with a fork, or just fold and pinch?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

kinmik posted:

If I'm making sad little Hot Pocket imitations, do I need to cut a vent in the top? How would you recommend I seal them? Egg wash and press with a fork, or just fold and pinch?

Just follow along with some random calzone recipe (this is Mario Batali's apparently).

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Cutting board question. Let's say you have two cutting boards- a nice, wooden one like this Boos block, and a cheaper plastic one. Which one would you use for cutting raw meat, and which one for non-meat food prepping? I'm asking this purely from a sanitation perspective. And I'm asking because we just bought that Boos board, but I really need to know if I can avoid having to buy two very expensive cutting boards.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would use the wooden board whenever I hadn't already dirtied it with something else in that cooking session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

If it's chicken, I would use the plastic one. Not because plastic has any antibacterial qualities (it doesn't) but to prevent cross contamination of whatever else I'm cutting up at the time.