Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
Not Netflix but amazon has all of Batman:TAS on demand free if you're prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ExCruceLeo posted:

Not Netflix but amazon has all of Batman:TAS on demand free if you're prime.

Netflix Canada does

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Opopanax posted:

Netflix Canada does

I'm using Hola to get netflix, and the differences between the Canada netflix and US netflix are still wierd. CA has the last season of Archer, US doesnt. CA Netflix has a bunch of cool 80's movies like Robocop, that US netflix doesnt. The hell is going on with copyright that this stuff happens?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's usually just licensing costs. Maybe it's cheaper to get Robocop for Canada and Netflix's research shows it's something people in Canada will want to see. Maybe the studio doesn't want it playing in America right now because they don't want people confusing it with the remake that's just out.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Fishstick posted:

I'm using Hola to get netflix, and the differences between the Canada netflix and US netflix are still wierd. CA has the last season of Archer, US doesnt. CA Netflix has a bunch of cool 80's movies like Robocop, that US netflix doesnt. The hell is going on with copyright that this stuff happens?

Hola works great, thanks for the pro-tip.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
Hola is awesome and I can't wait until they support my PS3!

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's usually just licensing costs. Maybe it's cheaper to get Robocop for Canada and Netflix's research shows it's something people in Canada will want to see. Maybe the studio doesn't want it playing in America right now because they don't want people confusing it with the remake that's just out.

The distributors can often differ from one country to another, so they often need to renegotiate with another company to attain licenses in Canada, or wherever, for content they already have in the US. Sometimes these companies aren't willing to give up their content to netflix for various reasons. Quite often this is because whoever holds the rights is in direct competition with netflix.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

coyo7e posted:

I would go to the opposite with Out of the Furnace. It has an amazing cast on every facet and then the story doesn't actually go anywhere. It's rare however I was like "wait, that's it?! Where's there other 30-60 minutes of this story?"

Serious letdown for what I'd been left to expect. Slow, quiet,but most egregiously it was too short to take advantage of that amazing cast.
That's sort of how I felt about it. It just seemed unfinished somehow.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Fishstick posted:

So when people do the Hola thing are they buying a separate Canada account too or what's the deal?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Light Gun Man posted:

So when people do the Hola thing are they buying a separate Canada account too or what's the deal?

You just have one account,things like Hola just change where netflix thinks you are.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
As a person in the US with an active netflix account, I can somehow use Hola to watch Canada content without an extra Canadian account? So far I have yet to see how.

I try using it and it just either tells me "hey you are outside of the US, you can't actually watch anything" or just points me to the sign up stuff.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Light Gun Man posted:

As a person in the US with an active netflix account, I can somehow use Hola to watch Canada content without an extra Canadian account? So far I have yet to see how.

I try using it and it just either tells me "hey you are outside of the US, you can't actually watch anything" or just points me to the sign up stuff.

Sign out and back in again.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Opopanax posted:

Sign out and back in again.

I've tried logging in and out a few times, but I still get the same error that says "Unfortunately your account is restricted to streaming only within the 50 United States and its territories. You may still access your account, but you will not be able to play any title." Am I doing something wrong?

It's frustrating because for whatever reason the last episode of Dr. Who is available on UK Netflix but not on American Netflix, but I can't get it to play.

Edit: Nevermind google gave me this answer:

quote:

If you have the DVD option enabled on your US account you might see the following message when changing to a different region:

Watching Instantly Is Not Currently Available For Your Account. Unfortunately your account is restricted to streaming only within the 50 United States and its territories. You may still access your account, but you will not be able to play any title.

The reason is that your account is also used for ordering DVDs. In order to change region you have to disable the DVD option on your account by logging in to their website. Then go to Your Account > Your Plan and deselect the DVD plan.

Deadite has a new favorite as of 02:47 on Aug 14, 2014

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Oh well, that's lame then.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Netflix uses location to filter which content you have access to rather than having region locked accounts, or at least they used to. Maybe they've changed the terms of service for new accounts after that latest price increase they did so you can only watch the country's catalogue that the account is registered to. I know my UK account gives me access to any catalogue I want if I use the right VPN.

It sucks a massive dick if they've done that. One day all these streaming sites will have an epiphany not to screw people out of decent content because they were born a few miles away from someone else. Some day. (This will never happen).

In other news I was pleasantly surprised at how not awful Hemlock Grove is. Maybe I went in with low expectations, but it's one of my favourite series I've watched in the last year.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Vitamins posted:

Netflix uses location to filter which content you have access to rather than having region locked accounts, or at least they used to. Maybe they've changed the terms of service for new accounts after that latest price increase they did so you can only watch the country's catalogue that the account is registered to. I know my UK account gives me access to any catalogue I want if I use the right VPN.

It sucks a massive dick if they've done that. One day all these streaming sites will have an epiphany not to screw people out of decent content because they were born a few miles away from someone else. Some day. (This will never happen).

In other news I was pleasantly surprised at how not awful Hemlock Grove is. Maybe I went in with low expectations, but it's one of my favourite series I've watched in the last year.

From what I understand, Netflix doesn't really care if you're using Hola or unblock or whatever, they just have to put on a show of caring to the rightsholders. All it does for them is encourage people to keep the service and if it lets their very large base of US customers watch a very cheap Swedish-licensed copy of Dark Knight Rises, that encourages customers to keep giving them money. The people asking for a very large amount of money to let US customers stream Dark Knight Rises are not happy if US customers are watching the Swedish-licensed version, so Netflix has to at least pretend to condemn it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That is the case for just about anything retail-related. Amazon or Netflix or whoever hates that they can't take yourmoney for stuff because of some international distribution agreement that a publisher signed. They only go as far as required to from getting sued by publishers in enforcing that kind of thing.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
I think one of the only streaming services that really checks where you're from is Hulu. Not too strange, since it's made up from the likes of Comcast, Fox and Disney

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
You're Next got added fairly recently, it's good if you want to see something in the vein of The Strangers or more of a deconstruction of that genre.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Has anyone watched The Spoils of Babylon?

It's got Tobey Maguire, Kristen Wiig, Tim Robbins, Jelly Howie, Jessica Alba, Val Kilmer, Haley Joel Osment, Michael Sheen, Will Ferrell, Steve Tom and a bunch of other people

quote:

A send-up of romantic potboiler miniseries of the past, this star-studded, six-part saga focuses on the complex lives of the oil-rich Morehouse clan.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Reign Of Pain posted:

Has anyone watched The Spoils of Babylon?

It's got Tobey Maguire, Kristen Wiig, Tim Robbins, Jelly Howie, Jessica Alba, Val Kilmer, Haley Joel Osment, Michael Sheen, Will Ferrell, Steve Tom and a bunch of other people

I asked the same question over in CineD.

I've since watched the first two episodes and it's pretty decent.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I watched it when it aired on IFC. I liked it, but you need a high tolerance for absurdist humor. I liked Val Kilmer and Michael Sheen's southern accent a lot.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Spoils of Babylon is less than two hours long altogether and is the kind of show where you'll be able to tell pretty much right off the bat whether or not it's your thing, give it a shot.

I was sold just on Will Ferrell bookending each episode as a cross between Garth Marenghi and Orson Welles.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Vitamins posted:

The first season is just weird and campy enough to be watchable on a rainy Sunday afternoon but the second season veers into awful, irredeemable poo poo. It takes everything entertaining about the first season and throws it right out the window.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
It's time to get your misogynistic Lars Von Trier on because Nymphomaniac, Parts I and II hit the Stream.

If FGM from AntiChrist wasn't enough, then that movie is basically his Salo: 120 Days of Sodom

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Captain Mog posted:

The first season is just weird and campy enough to be watchable on a rainy Sunday afternoon but the second season veers into awful, irredeemable poo poo. It takes everything entertaining about the first season and throws it right out the window.

The last episode of season 2 really sealed the deal on the descent into being utter poo poo too.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Why would you watch Hemlock Grove when the two good seasons of American Horror Story are on Netflix.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This poo poo right here

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Why do those kittens have no tails?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

I love that there's a kitten hiding behind The Client on that bookshelf.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

I didn't even know it was possible for something to be so cute. I'm going to die.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
https://twitter.com/netflix/status/501423167638745089

Ooooooh shiiiit. Won't be long now, boys.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

I liked TPB for a while, but after hearing what terrible shitheads they actually were to the other actors and crew, I kind of wish they'd get nothing. loving burn.

Edit: http://saintjohnshawn.com/2007/06/13/trailer-park-boys-what-really-happened-to-corey-and-trevor/

Leper Residue has a new favorite as of 08:55 on Aug 19, 2014

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Leper Residue posted:

I liked TPB for a while, but after hearing what terrible shitheads they actually were to the other actors and crew, I kind of wish they'd get nothing. loving burn.

Edit: http://saintjohnshawn.com/2007/06/13/trailer-park-boys-what-really-happened-to-corey-and-trevor/

The actor who wrote that (Michael Jackson) backpedaled and retracted that poo poo like crazy once his castmates called him on it. If that relatively tame behind the scenes drama is keeping you from watching the show, then you better stop watching all TV and movies ever.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I feel bad for the actors in Trailer Park Boys because I thought they were funny enough to get more parts once their show ended, but instead they all seem cursed to be in TPB forever I guess.

Aside from Ellen Page, obviously

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Well Mr. Lahey was in Lizzie Borden Took an Ax which was probably the best Lifetime movie ever. It was hard to watch that and not imagine that he was going to get super drunk and try to convince the police that Lizzie was the murderer while the cops just ignore him.

"She took a poo poo ax, Randy."

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Leper Residue posted:

Haha, he totally sounds like Trevor would sound if he went into entertainment.

Michael Jackson posted:

i was so upset that i sold my season 4 scripts on ebay as one of my performance art pieces.

Basically, he didn't get what he wanted when he negotiated his contracts several years in a row and then he left. And he threw in some classic "my boss was a dick" lines, and took potshots at the writing of the show. All seems pretty normal for any job in any industry.

Watch the show, it's good, and the people behind it are probably cool.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Well Mr. Lahey was in Lizzie Borden Took an Ax which was probably the best Lifetime movie ever.

My wife and I just marithoned our way through Haven and he's in it too.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

The Garbage Pail Kids: The Movie, falls into the category of So Bad It's Good, ala Troll 2 and The Room.

One of the great things about it is the main character looks like he's 12 and his love interest looks like she's 28:

Believe it or not, they were dating in real life before the movie was casted.

Full Movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00j-GNcV1DA

MeatRocket8 has a new favorite as of 07:17 on Aug 21, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ChocNitty posted:

The Garbage Pail Kids: The Movie, falls into the category of So Bad It's Good, ala Troll 2 and The Room.
If you've not seen it, Best Worst Movie is still up on streaming and it's a really amazing roller coaster of a ride, focused on the cast and crew and directors of Troll 2. It runs the gamut of happy to funny to sad and kind of horrible.

I kind of got a crush on the dentist guy because holy poo poo how can someone be such an amazing person!? until ego runs away with him during the cross-country tour of Troll 2, then you realize he's fallible like everyone else.

It's extremely well-paced and edited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ChocNitty posted:

One of the great things about it is the main character looks like he's 12 and his love interest looks like she's 28:

Believe it or not, they were dating in real life before the movie was casted.

Full Movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00j-GNcV1DA

He's a liar. The Garbage Paul Kids movie is just gross and unwatchable.

• Locked thread