Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
When any of them bothers reading a game/modding tools EULA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
FYI, FOMM has a recently updated fork available that is a bit more compatible these days:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/20107/

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Anyone happen to have this on hand that they can toss on dropbox or something? Nexus is being Nexus.

e: Also how well would it work to run FOMM through MO so I can install FOMODs reliably while still keeping my data folder clean?

Here ya go https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5990181/JIP%20Selective-Fire%20-%20FOMOD-49478-0-96.fomod

I run the regular version of FOMM through MO right now, for my UI stuff. all works just fine for me.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Anyone have the newest version of Lombard handy?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mr E posted:

Anyone have the newest version of Lombard handy?

Link in the OP still works for me. If that isn't working I can upload it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
A long time ago, I remember seeing a mod where you could purchase chems from a stoned Deathclaw. I've tried looking for it recently, but I can't seem to find it. Was it removed from Nexus? I mean, I don't mind using the CHEMS mod to make them, but buying a ton of them from a stoned Deathclaw is way funnier.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

closeted republican posted:

A long time ago, I remember seeing a mod where you could purchase chems from a stoned Deathclaw. I've tried looking for it recently, but I can't seem to find it. Was it removed from Nexus? I mean, I don't mind using the CHEMS mod to make them, but buying a ton of them from a stoned Deathclaw is way funnier.

I know what you're talking about (it was actually one of the mods in the shameful mods section once upon a time) but it looks like it was removed, because I cannot find it, either.

BigDes
Dec 27, 2012
Has anyone got any decent dungeon crawler mods they would like to recommend? I tried AWOP and found it a little too much but the concept of one giant sprawling dungeon is a cool one if it is done right.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
As far as I know, AWOP is the only thing of that nature, and it's hit or miss.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

BigDes posted:

Has anyone got any decent dungeon crawler mods they would like to recommend? I tried AWOP and found it a little too much but the concept of one giant sprawling dungeon is a cool one if it is done right.

Well, the interiors mod adds a lot of new dungeons. They're just mostly on the small side and feel pretty vanilla. No crazy overpowered loot, no crazy overpowered monsters.

On a different note: I've been playing with TTW, and I found I'd finished most of the FO3 quests. The ones I hadn't done I'm not too interested in doing (like enslaving people), so I'm working on the DLC. Anchorage was boring. Broken Steel was ok, but I got tired of deathclaws pretty quickly. Currently working on Point Lookout.. which is so far the most interesting to me. I'm wondering if Pitt and Zeta are even worth my time. I hate equips being taken away, I'm running a sneaky melee character (with Chance's knife), and I have no interest in playing something with more anchorage-broken steel type missions to infiltrate enemy bases. Maybe they'd be more fun if enemies were not damage sponges, and I didn't only have 2 endurance.. but that's how things worked out.

I know neither of them are going to have loot I want. At this point it's just gameplay/plot that I'm caring about at all, and I really wish I'd slogged through Fo3 before FONV.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I still haven't gotten around to playing any of the FO3 DLC aside from the first couple of missions of Broken Steel, but the consensus on Mothership Zeta is basically "jesus christ this is so loving awful" and nobody should ever be subjected to that.

Speaking of FO3, I was showing off the beginning to a friend yesterday because I figured it would be a decent introduction for someone who doesn't know anything about Fallout games, but the writing was so terrible (I think I described the dialogue as "babbys first moral choices" at one point) that I reconsidered pretty quickly. The instant we got to Megaton, I went "gently caress this" and started up a new game in New Vegas. Heading straight to Vegas at level 1, of course. :unsmigghh:

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Zeta is kind of a slog but the Pitt is pretty cool.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Pitt and Point Lookout are both great. MZ is way too long and repetitive, but it has some really cool moments.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The big problem with Point Lookout is that the enemies get artificial buffs (I think it's X damage always gets through your armor and they always absorb X damage applied to them) to try and make unarmed tribals and redneck mutants a challenge.

But it does have a lot of good moments and a great atmosphere. The initial mansion defense is sort of an emulation of Call of Duty-style corridor shooters with scripted events, like a tribal literally shoulder ramming through a door or the floor collapsing out from under you.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
I'll skip Zeta and do the Pitt then. So far my feelings on just about everything related to Fo3 have been 'wait, that was it?' though. It always just seems to get cut off when I was thinking there would be more. Some of the actual dungeons are total slogs but I'm always expecting to find more quests or.. something. Like the map feels huge. But everything is really spaced out, so it ends up feeling empty.

Fo3 feels way more unfinished than FONV to me because of this. I'm really glad I got it on sale. I also definately see why people don't really replay this one. And for reference? I still play Oblivion. :/

chitoryu12 posted:

The big problem with Point Lookout is that the enemies get artificial buffs (I think it's X damage always gets through your armor and they always absorb X damage applied to them) to try and make unarmed tribals and redneck mutants a challenge.

But it does have a lot of good moments and a great atmosphere. The initial mansion defense is sort of an emulation of Call of Duty-style corridor shooters with scripted events, like a tribal literally shoulder ramming through a door or the floor collapsing out from under you.

I didn't have this issue because prettymuch nothing saw me coming. The only time I got hurt was when tribals jumped me at the Ferris Wheel. I wasn't expecting that and died immediately. Oh well. They didn't get any hits in on take 2.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Another problem with MZ is that the aliens are really bullet spongey.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
For me, it's:

Point Lookout > Broken Steel > The Pitt > Operation Anchorage > A Kick In The Balls > Mothership Zeta

Point Lookout is a new open-world area to explore, Broken Steel adds more stuff to the existing open-world, The Pitt is sort of interesting and atmospheric to explore but contains the most ridiculously contrived "moral choice" I think I've ever seen in a game, while Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta are awful, boring, linear slogs - Zeta especially.

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh, I remember that; lazy and sort of stupid design, but fortunately also stupidly easy to fix by setting their damage bonus to zero in FO3Edit. It's actually something Bethsoft were unfortunately prone to doing in the DLC; I remember something similar with the Tri-Beam Laser Rifle in Broken Steel. It ignored a big chunk of armour too, but only when equipped by a super mutant (maybe a master specifically).

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Yeah, the only reason to do Zeta is for the loot.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Play Zeta for the comedy, cmon. Fuckin' misplaced samurai dude stalking aliens and the horses and so on.

Zeta would be an interesting starting point perhaps, especially for gimmick characters.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
I went halfway through the Pitt, got to the 'Moral Choice!' decided I'd had enough, deleted my saves and uninstalled TTW. So definitely no Zeta. Now I'll play FONV and actually enjoy myself. The only thing FO3 really has going for it over FONV is that it has as much Jeff Baker as Morrowind. Which means you hear him chatting with himself quite a lot. Brotherhood Paladins? Jeff Baker. Random male settlers? Jeff Baker. Desmond? Jeff Baker. Mr. Gutsy? Jeff Baker. House themes are kinda nice too I guess, but most of the themes are rubbish.

Also really sad that I couldn't get the Mr. Gutsy companion because my character had done nice things. I guess I could have gone on a few murdersprees.. but eh.. not really worth it. But yeah.. it's just.. not a great game, and I'm really not sure why people prefer/defend it.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Moryrie posted:

But yeah.. it's just.. not a great game, and I'm really not sure why people prefer/defend it.

I defend Fallout 3 for its awesome level design, but for everything else, New Vegas is a definite improvement, yes.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I remember thinking at the time that the moral choice of the pitt was alot better than most of the stuff in that game because it had more going on than nothing at all.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I'm thinking about giving the first recon beret bonus to some other headgear since it's way too good and I'm getting tired of seeing it…

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

watho posted:

I'm thinking about giving the first recon beret bonus to some other headgear since it's way too good and I'm getting tired of seeing it…

The pre-War bonnet. It makes sense.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Point Lookout was hideously balanced though. Enemies who are more immune to bullets than power armor because they're not-even-mutant rednecks. Dafaq.

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012
So I installed an ENB and now this happens every few min.:

anyone know how to fix this?

massecurr fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 19, 2014

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

massecurr posted:

So I installed an ENB and now this happens every few min.:

anyone know how to fix this?

This happens when ENB fights with other directx overlay programs. Mumble, Steam, TeamSpeak, and other services that use an overlay pop-up will cause this to happen when a friend says something or signs in or whatever. The quick fix is to disable Steam overlay for the game, etc.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Be sure to disable the screenshot popups for steam. I'd also change the ENB on/off key.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is there a way to disable steam overlay for just one game? I just deal with the popups because I cant be bothered to constantly switch it on and off.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Is there a way to disable steam overlay for just one game? I just deal with the popups because I cant be bothered to constantly switch it on and off.

New Vegas > properties > uncheck box

E: in your steam library that is.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

SpookyLizard posted:

New Vegas > properties > uncheck box

E: in your steam library that is.

Doesn't always work if you're launching through not-steam however. I just turn off notifications when people do stuff so the graphical stuff only happens when someone I care about messages me.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
EDIT: Wrong Fallout thread, still lets check out some mods!

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 20, 2014

BigDes
Dec 27, 2012

Chronojam posted:

This happens when ENB fights with other directx overlay programs. Mumble, Steam, TeamSpeak, and other services that use an overlay pop-up will cause this to happen when a friend says something or signs in or whatever. The quick fix is to disable Steam overlay for the game, etc.

I've found that the most recent cause on my pc of this is that raptr/Amd overlay thing that runs when you play a game. I have no idea how it even got onto my pc, I assume it came with the latest amd card drivers which is kind of gross

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Managed to make it twelve hours through this play through before a crash finally happened. NVAC seems to help a lot. Here's hoping this save lasts long enough to get through the DLC, I've been pretty conservative with mods this time around.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It wasn't until this very moment that I realized that there are multiple people with the toiletlord avatar and it hasn't been the same guy in every thread.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It wasn't until this very moment that I realized that there are multiple people with the toiletlord avatar and it hasn't been the same guy in every thread.

It's replaced the Stupid Newbie Avatar apparently. it was something else a couple days ago too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Now it's something different.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

So I got FO3 GOTY and I can't play it. It crashes upon starting a new game every time, no matter what. I tried lowering the graphics, disabling the DLCs and nothing works. I don't even have any mods yet. Has anybody else had this issue?

I'm using Windows 7 fwiw, and New Vegas runs fine.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

El Jeffe posted:

So I got FO3 GOTY and I can't play it. It crashes upon starting a new game every time, no matter what. I tried lowering the graphics, disabling the DLCs and nothing works. I don't even have any mods yet. Has anybody else had this issue?

I'm using Windows 7 fwiw, and New Vegas runs fine.

I did, assumed it was because I tried installing FWE, gave up when nobody gave me useful advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Sounds like the good ol' multicore bug! Man, I remember that being so much of the old FO3 threads. :allears:

http://fallout3-multicore-crash-fix.blogspot.com/

try this.