Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Grabbed these over the weekend.

Tampa by Alyssa Nutting

The Spectular Now by Tim Tharp

To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee (which I have never read)

The Archaeology of Home: An Epic Set on a Thousand Square Feet of the Lower East Side by Katharine Greider

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Blendy posted:

Started reading The Magicians, and I'm completely unsure how I feel about.

I love(d) it, but the pacing in the first book is all over the place and Quentin is not the most likable person in the world. Dunno how far along you are, but you should at least stick with it until you get to the real meat of the story (you'll know without a doubt when this happens). The second and third books are much better, though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

funkybottoms posted:

I love(d) it, but the pacing in the first book is all over the place and Quentin is not the most likable person in the world. Dunno how far along you are, but you should at least stick with it until you get to the real meat of the story (you'll know without a doubt when this happens).

Less ambiguously: At least get up to the morning after the dinner party in New York. Somebody shows up with an interesting story to tell. You'll be 100% hooked after that.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I just started Charles Palliser's The Quincunx -- a friend of mine described it by saying, "If you tore the cover off and told me it was newly found Dickens novel, I'd believe you," and that was enough for me. I'm only on page 11, but so far, so Dickens. :haw:

cheekyvixen
Aug 19, 2014
Just started The Holy Qu'ran...
Though I'm not religious or spiritual by any means, religious studies are interesting to me. Very hard read, but it's got commentary also to better understand...

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Just began Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain and, so far, so much word vomit. Not bad, but way too wordy.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

screenwritersblues posted:

Grabbed these over the weekend.

Tampa by Alyssa Nutting

I'll be interested to hear what you think of this when you finish so you should post your opinion in the What did you just finish? thread when you're done.

Blendy posted:

Started reading The Magicians, and I'm completely unsure how I feel about.

The Magicians is like 2 books squashed into one book that suffers due to too many influences and the author's own commercial desires. Still, it was an enjoyable read.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Poutling posted:

I'll be interested to hear what you think of this when you finish so you should post your opinion in the What did you just finish? thread when you're done.

Yeah sure. I'll also throw up a start here to let you know. It's going to be a while before I get to it, but I will let everyone know.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

cheekyvixen posted:

Just started The Holy Qu'ran...
Though I'm not religious or spiritual by any means, religious studies are interesting to me. Very hard read, but it's got commentary also to better understand...

I have a few copies, but frankly I'm dissatisfied with the translations I have. If you don't mind my asking, which one did you choose, are you happy with it and if so why?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

People posted:

Words about The Magicians

Yeah I'm still reading it, I just read The Beast chapter tonight. I like the book despite itself. I'm late to the party among my friends so I've kind of gone through the series with a friend and so I know what I'm getting into regarding Quentin. I like the idea about how Quentin fits into the story of the series. I'm a librarian with nothing much to do at work so I'll likely read through the series. It's fun but irksome.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Blendy posted:

Yeah I'm still reading it, I just read The Beast chapter tonight. I like the book despite itself. I'm late to the party among my friends so I've kind of gone through the series with a friend and so I know what I'm getting into regarding Quentin. I like the idea about how Quentin fits into the story of the series. I'm a librarian with nothing much to do at work so I'll likely read through the series. It's fun but irksome.

Speaking of this series I'm trying to buy the magicians land on my kindle, in the UK, but can't seem to find an ebook version? What am I doing wrong here? Sorry but I don't want to shell out for a physical copy when I have an ereader

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

I don't do drugs, if I want a rush I just get out of the chair when I'm not expecting it
Donna Tartt's "The Goldfinch". I've read 200 pages already and although I like her writing, I'm struggling to relate to any of the characters or to find the plot interesting. There's something there I'm missing I'm sure.

MaggieTheCat
Nov 7, 2010

Zsa Zsa Gabor posted:

Donna Tartt's "The Goldfinch". I've read 200 pages already and although I like her writing, I'm struggling to relate to any of the characters or to find the plot interesting. There's something there I'm missing I'm sure.

I ended up skimming most of that book, it needed a LOT of editing imo. Definitely did not live up to all the hype.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

MaggieTheCat posted:

I ended up skimming most of that book, it needed a LOT of editing imo. Definitely did not live up to all the hype.

It was the longest book I've read all year. They could have done without the Vegas parts, that was pretty pointless and long. Not the mention that the ending was pretty much a let down. It just ends.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Just began The Plague Forge, book 3 in the "Dire Earth Cycle," by Jason M. Hough. Big, dumb sci-fi action, but fun enough to finish the series--I hope he can stick the landing, but I'm not holding my breath.

art of spoonbending
Jun 18, 2005

Grimey Drawer

screenwritersblues posted:

It was the longest book I've read all year. They could have done without the Vegas parts, that was pretty pointless and long. Not the mention that the ending was pretty much a let down. It just ends.

Well poo poo you don't have to love it and I understand getting bored in sections, and I agree Amsterdam stretched longer than I would've liked too, but there were a couple of pages near the end there that were perfect. So perfect that when the book was over I felt nothing but good things for it. Either you skimmed that excellent part or you feel differently about life, or something. And good for you if you do because it's probably more healthy.

Edit: I am motoring through Catch 22 at last after being convinced to try again in the 'books you couldn't get through' thread and holy moly. Kid Sampson. McWatt. Orr. Have to admit I was a little bored and started looking at other books when it went into great detail over Milo Minderbender's shenanigans but when it's back on everyone but Milo it's pretty great and funny and horrible, as recommended.

Also reading Sum by David Eagleman which is a humorous and ponderous look at different things that could happen to us when we're dead. It reminds me a little of Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman, really interesting short chapters to think about regarding different perspectives.

Someone recommended Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple and I read that in a few days and loved it.

I am part way through This is the Way the World Ends by James Morrow and they're near Antarctica and I'm struggling to pick the book up again. I liked much of the first half but this living on the submarine business is getting less interesting. Does it get better?

Started Claudius the God while on a plane, which I know I'll love based on the first book but need to clear some of the backlog first before getting back to it.

Also past the middle of The Idiot but while loving the first half, not feeling inspired to pick it up for the 2nd half. Will finish one day.

Part way through An Astronaught's Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield which has been sitting there half read for months.

All these things are in my one mighty little kindle... I really love this thing and it's got me reading way more than normal thanks to the backlight but it's also got me swapping between books a lot more and neglecting books I might have finished before starting another. Still it's a win win as those books will be finished at some point I hope.

art of spoonbending fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 27, 2014

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Borrowed Dune from a friend and I really like it so far. Just got to right after they land on the eponymous planet for the first time.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I just bought King Leopold's Ghost for my dad, to give to him on Father's Day. Does this make me a bad person? :ohdear:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Dads, traditionally, love to read about murder and oppression.

MaggieTheCat
Nov 7, 2010
So Half Price Books was having a Labor Day Sale so I picked up a few books....

The Color of Magic
Ready Player One
Rebecca
Mistress of the Art of Death
Midnight's Children
Where'd You Go, Bernadette
The Lions of Al-Rassan
The American Heiress

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

Music Theory posted:

Borrowed Dune from a friend and I really like it so far. Just got to right after they land on the eponymous planet for the first time.

I know this series causes much angst among sci-fi nerds such as myself, but I have loved every book from the originals to the prequels and sequels. This and the Enders Game series shaped my love of sci-fi when I was younger.

Just picked up The Quantum Thief from the library, looking forward to it. I also want to get my hands on Joe Abercrombie's new book, the name of which escapes me right now.

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014

AmericanGeeksta posted:

I know this series causes much angst among sci-fi nerds such as myself, but I have loved every book from the originals to the prequels and sequels. This and the Enders Game series shaped my love of sci-fi when I was younger.

Just picked up The Quantum Thief from the library, looking forward to it. I also want to get my hands on Joe Abercrombie's new book, the name of which escapes me right now.

I wasnt aware of these "angst inducing effects" of dune? O: ^_^

Quite curious what you mean by that tho, i always thought that dune was the epitome for sci-fi elitists like myself :)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

People think that Dune is poo poo ever since book... 3? and that 2 wasn't that good. I wouldn't know having never read them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Squishy posted:

People think that Dune is poo poo ever since book... 3? and that 2 wasn't that good. I wouldn't know having never read them.

It sortof depends.

The first one is legit brilliant. It's basically a fantasy novel in space, but it's really original in a lot of ways and deserves the credit it gets.

The rest of the Frank Herbert novels in the Dune series get progressively weirder and weirder and become less and less "stories" and more and more technical exercises in whatever weird poo poo Frank Herbert was trying to get away with as a writer. The third novel, for example, is one of the best depictions of the viewpoint of a nigh-immortal being that I've ever read, it's just not a very entertaining story.

The novels written by his son from his 'notes" are pretty much universally derided as utter poo poo.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
Yeah the prequels have really no redeeming quality other than that I found them entertaining.

Frank's books after 2 become increasingly focused around philosophy and radical religion, at least as much as I found.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I remember enjoying Dune, then fighting my way through book 2, then grinding to a halt halfway through book 3 many years ago.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Just started on Rick Wakeman's Grumpy Old Rock Star. Shagging, farting dinosaurs and "I suppose you're all wondering why the band is down there. It's because Martin has poo poo himself." I'm glad I bought the sequel as well.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Major Isoor posted:

I just bought King Leopold's Ghost for my dad, to give to him on Father's Day. Does this make me a bad person? :ohdear:

Had not heard of this one. My grandparents were missionaries in Congo up until the election/assassination of Lumumba (remind me to sue Barbara Kingsolver) and I would love to learn more of what helped make Congo the poo poo fest it is. Added to the list, thanks!

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
Just started The Haj by Uris, my first time reading his work but it seems pretty legit.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

art of spoonbending posted:

Also past the middle of The Idiot but while loving the first half, not feeling inspired to pick it up for the 2nd half. Will finish one day.

It took me something like 7 tries in 9 years to finish The Idiot, and I'd always get stalled in the middle, too. I think it's the point where everyone goes to the dacha that the propelling drive of the story just...stops. It does pick up again and it's worth it to push past it, though make sure you have the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation.

Have you gotten to the point where Ippolit reads his letter? That in itself is worth the effort of reading the novel. E: That, and Nastasia Filipovna's letters towards the end. That's where I got my custom title from, the most moving line in the book.

I almost do not exist now, and I know it. God knows what lives in me in place of me.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 3, 2014

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I just got UNCLE by JP Martin out of the library. I'm going to be a dad soon so I'm cueing up all the books I'm going to read to my kid, and I remember liking it this when I was young.

Evidently I had great taste because it still owns.

JP Martin posted:

Uncle is an elephant. He's immensely rich, and he's a BA. He dresses well, generally in a purple dressing-gown, and often rides about on a traction engine, which he prefers to a car.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

MaggieTheCat posted:

The Color of Magic

I have a sample of this on Nook ebook. I read some of it but I'm not sure if I can get into it. Do you think I should give it another go or is it just not for everyone?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I believe recommended pro-strat for getting into Pratchett is to leap into Guards Guards. The first two books are pretty much rewritten Conan stories with jokes and far from his best.

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014

LLCoolJD posted:

I remember enjoying Dune, then fighting my way through book 2, then grinding to a halt halfway through book 3 many years ago.

interesting, everyone ive been talking to about dune up to this point always said they enjoyed books 3 and 4 the most (myself included). I can totally understand why people wouldn;t like book 2 tho. As for Brian Herbert's continueation of the series. I found them enjoyable, tho a bit cheesy, so ye....

Especially the final conclusion was kinda...meh,... too easy.

art of spoonbending
Jun 18, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rabbit Hill posted:

It took me something like 7 tries in 9 years to finish The Idiot, and I'd always get stalled in the middle, too. I think it's the point where everyone goes to the dacha that the propelling drive of the story just...stops. It does pick up again and it's worth it to push past it, though make sure you have the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation.

Have you gotten to the point where Ippolit reads his letter? That in itself is worth the effort of reading the novel. E: That, and Nastasia Filipovna's letters towards the end. That's where I got my custom title from, the most moving line in the book.

I almost do not exist now, and I know it. God knows what lives in me in place of me.

I'm at the point where they're all in the holiday town, or dacha, and seem to have been for a while but I don't think Ippolit has read his letter yet. The last major thing I remember happening was a fight in the park, so it's possible Ippolit read his letter before that, when everyone was at Myshkins place and I forgot about it while flipping between books (or reading after a few drinks). Unfortunately I seem to be reading the Eva Martin translation, does it make a big difference? I thought I got it from Project Gutenberg but that now only has the translation by John Kendrick Bangs.

I will definitely be reading the rest but it looks like when I do I'll have to go back a lot of pages to make sure I didn't miss anything. I'd rather not start at the beginning again as it's all pretty memorable up until they go to the dacha. I'm hoping it doesn't take me 9 years too but it wouldn't surprise me... I'll set a vague target of end of this year or next.

Very interesting quote you've got, she's a fairly tragic figure already and now I can't remember if she knows it or if it's only clear to the reader at this point. I see why you keep restarting from the beginning...

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Yesterday I started The Doll by Bolesław Prus. It's excellent so far. Vivid characters, beautiful descriptions, all that good stuff. It's a hefty read, though--about 700 pages. It'll keep me busy, at least.

Also reading Le roman de Tristan et Iseult for a class.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

art of spoonbending posted:

I'm at the point where they're all in the holiday town, or dacha, and seem to have been for a while but I don't think Ippolit has read his letter yet. The last major thing I remember happening was a fight in the park, so it's possible Ippolit read his letter before that, when everyone was at Myshkins place and I forgot about it while flipping between books (or reading after a few drinks). Unfortunately I seem to be reading the Eva Martin translation, does it make a big difference? I thought I got it from Project Gutenberg but that now only has the translation by John Kendrick Bangs.

I will definitely be reading the rest but it looks like when I do I'll have to go back a lot of pages to make sure I didn't miss anything. I'd rather not start at the beginning again as it's all pretty memorable up until they go to the dacha. I'm hoping it doesn't take me 9 years too but it wouldn't surprise me... I'll set a vague target of end of this year or next.

Very interesting quote you've got, she's a fairly tragic figure already and now I can't remember if she knows it or if it's only clear to the reader at this point. I see why you keep restarting from the beginning...

I had made attempts 1-6 with the Garnett translation, and when I finally tried the P&V translation, it was like a brand new book. I'm not familiar with any other translations, but P&V totally nail the different voices of each character in dialogue and changes in narrative atmosphere between POV characters where Garnett just couldn't. It still dragged in the middle, though! Even Dostoevsky admitted his novel was flawed. That's the trouble with making your central character such a passive personality - he doesn't drive his own story along, he just reacts (or, in this case, doesn't react) to everyone around him.

I don't remember where Ippolit's letter occurs in the book with regard to the fight in the park, but the letter is something like 20 pages long and pretty intense, so you'd probably remember it if you'd gotten to it yet. :)

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?
I started The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell because whatever it is you call Cloud Atlas, I want more of that. Liking it so far, 50 pages in.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Mr. Squishy posted:

I believe recommended pro-strat for getting into Pratchett is to leap into Guards Guards. The first two books are pretty much rewritten Conan stories with jokes and far from his best.

Counterpoint: The books are short as hell and easy to read, and the first handful of books aren't bad, they just aren't as good as the ones after. I found The Colour of Magic to be funny, if very straight forward in its parody, and disjointed and unfocused compared to his later stuff. Still a great read though. If you are really interested in Pratchett I say just read them all chronologically.

Or, if you are someone who just absolutely needs to be blown away by a book to get into a series, I guess just skip ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The Willows by Algernon Blackwood. This is the first story in his collected works that I've started but I keep stalling out with it. The first half is really slow and lulling, which I realize is deliberate and entirely the point, but I'm struggling to get into it.

I'll try to push through since Blackwood seems so highly esteemed by other writers, but he's not living up to the buzz for me so far, though.

• Locked thread