Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Sounds like us BattleCON folks need to have a special meetup next year, I didn't meet or recognize half the goons playing it, as it turns out! Still was a crazy cool con for that game.

So you're saying we should have a mini...Battle Con? :v:

Didn't really have a "haul" this year. I flew in from Arizona on the company ticket with bags full of equipment, so there wasn't much room to stash treats.
  • Tragedy Looper - a game I've obsessed over since it was a little print shop indie game.
  • Golden Sky Stories - super cute nonviolent RPG about helpful animal spirits, a la Totoro.
  • Pixel Tactics 1, 3, and mini sets - already had 2, and I couldn't talk Talton's ear off without throwing a little more cash at him.

Wow, looking at that all together...I'm the full anime. It's me. :japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

FuSchnick posted:

Any of you lucky bastards who bought Shadowrun: Crossfire get to play it yet? I've gotten my hopes up for this one.

A buddy picked it up and I got to play it Friday night. Imagine the Pathfinder card game, but more difficult and actually fun.
Ok, that's not being entirely fair to the PCG, but I had a lot of fun playing Crossfire with a Troll StreetSam. It's hard, but not impossible. From the one game of it I've played the mechanics felt pretty tight.

We were playing it in the lobby/bar area of the Embassy and a Shadowrun writer came over to watch and ended up shooting the poo poo for an hour while my friends and I played. During the game the game dev also walked over to talk to us for about ten minutes.

SciFunk
Mar 2, 2006
Libertas per scientiam.

Quarex posted:

I think this is worth a brief recap since it was my biggest Gen-Con "!?!?" moment in years.

MudMerch: Hey come to this cosplay booth!
Quarex: Hah, sure... if you have pictures of the single cosplayer whose pictures I have ever been truly intrigued by! :smug:
MudMerch: She is working the booth right now.
Quarex: :stare:

Watching that play out on GroupMe as it happened was great.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Gutter Owl posted:

I would be so down for that.

quote:

• Pixel Tactics 1, 3, and mini sets - already had 2, and I couldn't talk Talton's ear off without throwing a little more cash at him.

I bought both artbooks because I was embarrassed that I was getting a little babble-y about meeting Brad and Nokomento. So ashamed of myself, but they were really nice. I wonder if Brad has put up the pictures of the tournament yet?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
pictures of all the loot I picked up will have to wait until the end of the week as I shipped home 36 pounds of card board and role playing games.

that's the first step is admitting you have a problem isn't it?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Gutter Owl posted:

Yes. :v:

Gutter Owl posted:

Golden Sky Stories and Pixel Tactics are both excellent, no shame there. How's Tragedy Looper? That one at least stood out me amidst all the white noise of anime-arted games by presenting an interesting premise. Or by presenting a premise at all, there were too many animesque games that were stuff like "Battle Jumps!" (I just made that up, don't look for it) with a half-naked character on the banner and no implication as to what sort of game they were selling.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Best game I played while at Gencon was hands down Animal on Animal. Boast game of the year all years.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lawen posted:

Hey Quarex, did anyone end up buying those neon d20 signs at TOVA? They were pretty cool but $250 each seemed nuts.
Yeah, one lady was interested enough to buy one, as it came in her favorite color (whatever it was). But the other seven did not sell.

I am mystified by the person who put those in the Auction, because drat, at like $100 they would have all sold (I would have bought one at least, maybe a second as a gift for my old gaming group's lair). Maybe next year they will be back at a more reasonable price!

I do want to post a hilarious picture of my haul, but most of it was made before 1990, so somehow it would not be so impressive. I might post a picture or five in the Retro Computing thread, though!

I did get a sweet Numenera bundle for way less than retail in the Auction. So that was something. Sorry about your tricorder, SciFunk. Oh you posted since I started writing this

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Gutter Owl posted:

Didn't really have a "haul" this year. I flew in from Arizona on the company ticket with bags full of equipment, so there wasn't much room to stash treats.
  • Tragedy Looper - a game I've obsessed over since it was a little print shop indie game.
  • Golden Sky Stories - super cute nonviolent RPG about helpful animal spirits, a la Totoro.

So you're one of the people who got, like, one of the 15 copies of Tragedy Looper that they brought to the con. I got to try that out and even though my SO and I were really hesitant because of all of the anime (as much as we like the art form, some of its fandom is a little crazy at times) we ended up really liking it. We were sad because all of the copies were gone! At least we know what we're buying in September though, and I definitely recommended it to my FLGS.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Awesome year all around. Great con, games, people and haul. All access pass was great, the monster manual and 5e module are signed by all of their respective developers and I was able to get Mike Mearls to sign the PHB.

The crown jewel though is that orange B3. Can't believe that I found one at gen con, it wasn't in the collectible a section of the auction, and the vendor that had it listed it for less than 50% of its current going value. That module is the first adventure from TSR written by a woman and it ruined her career. Had some questionable content, such as some art of one of the other TSR employees wives tied up and waiting to have terrible things done to her. The day it came from the printers and the executives saw it they threw all of them away and the only ones that survived are the ones a few employees pulled out of the trash. Thing is crazy stupid rare, one of the rarest published RPG items people care about that there is.

Thanks for coming to the screener for the documentary Quarex! Cecily said you must have been entertained because you were giggling the entire time it was running. If any of the rest of you were there as well I would love to hear your feedback.

I didn't get to due much with goons this year because of the film and my D&D schedule but hopefully I can squeeze in more goon time next year!

Grinspork
Jun 20, 2004

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED
I bought way too much crap since I am moving and was able to free up space since my friend flew back.

I will take a picture when I finally finish driving through Texas, this state is too loving big.

Kotae
May 22, 2007

how cute!
Too lazy to take a pic, but I didn't pick up too much at GenCon - most of my time was spent in seminars.

I did get:
Legendary Encounters
Doomtown
The new Netrunner data pack
and some random things for a card game I play, as well as some starter decks for a dead card game.

I tragically didn't get to meet many goons, save for one that I grabbed Doomtown Premium for. Definitely was a nice GenCon though! :3:

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Kotae posted:

Too lazy to take a pic, but I didn't pick up too much at GenCon - most of my time was spent in seminars.

I did get:
Legendary Encounters
Doomtown
The new Netrunner data pack
and some random things for a card game I play, as well as some starter decks for a dead card game.

I tragically didn't get to meet many goons, save for one that I grabbed Doomtown Premium for. Definitely was a nice GenCon though! :3:

That goon was me and you are still my hero, now and forever.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I actually bought nothing at GenCon this year as nothing really stood out from what I had played. What I did end up playing in one form or another was: Flash Point Fire Rescue, Abyss, Takenoko, Blood Bowl Team Manager, The Witcher beta, 40k LCG, Kings of Air and Steam. Of those games I listed, I think that I would probably end up buying Flash Point and Takenoko as family-friendly games. Abyss was ok, but I just didn't feel the theme of it come out at all, you just flip cards, pay players pearls (currency) and spend cards to buy Lord cards, and it's an easy game to pick up once you see how the first couple turns are played, but I just didn't have much fun playing it. Flash Point was fun and kinda like Pandemic, but I'm really coming to hate dice as RNG in games even though it kinda does fit the theme of the game. Blood Bowl was enjoyable but not a game I would buy, and the WH40k LCG is similar to Blood Bowl in the way the game plays out, but I'm over the 40k thing. The Witcher is just another FFG game with millions of tokens, dice rolls, and card flips. Has FFG ever made a game without dice or cards? Kings of Air and Steam is a simplistic pick-up-and-deliver game.

So after all that, it sounds like I had a terrible GenCon, but I did not. I did True Dungeon Into the Viper's Pit, tried to find a shirt I would wear in public in the vendor hall (unsuccessfully), attended a couple seminars, and played and watched people play Magic.

I seem to have this bad habit of having my Thursday be the best day of the con because on Thursday night I went to a seminar about hacking and how it is portrayed in popular media (tv shows, movies, etc.). That seminar wasn't a very tech crunchy thing, but more of a demonstration of how ridiculous some of the portrayals of how computers work really are. The presenters were information security professionals working for Fortune 500 companies.

Another seminar I went to was about intellectual Property and how it relates to gaming. It wasn't so much a talk as it was a "show up and ask questions about anything and everything you can think of about IP and how it works."

Overall, it was a good con again. I will be going next year. Maybe next year I will focus on playing RPGs as I haven't done that in a loooong time.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Thanks for coming to the screener for the documentary Quarex! Cecily said you must have been entertained because you were giggling the entire time it was running. If any of the rest of you were there as well I would love to hear your feedback.
Well she is right, though really I just wonder why other people did not giggle at the things apparently only I found funny. Though I am no stranger to being the only one laughing at something :(

:siren: LESS THAN 50 WEEKS TO GEN-CON!!! :siren:

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

nesbit37 posted:

Are you the guy that was at the Lawyer Lobbing Magic Cards seminar and opened a Garruk? The of Dice and Men docu?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
my loot:

The manilla folder is the Delta Green beta playtest rules :cthulhu:

Morph Recognition Guide is my contributor's copy (since I wrote some of it)

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

pakman posted:

Are you the guy that was at the Lawyer Lobbing Magic Cards seminar and opened a Garruk? The of Dice and Men docu?

Nope, not me. Isn't the of Dice and Men movie a filmed (or converted from a) play and not a documentary?

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

clockworkjoe posted:

my loot:

The manilla folder is the Delta Green beta playtest rules :cthulhu:

Oooh. Did you or anyone else from RPPR get to the Lovecraft meets Tradecraft panel?

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
Surviving GenCon loot:

Featured:
  • Looking For Group Omnibus + Volumes 4,5,6
  • signed BattleCON artbook (with side-by-side drawings of a character by the game's artist and the game's designer
  • BattleCON playmat
  • Conflict of Heroes: Price of Honor expansion
  • Abyss
  • a second Netrunner core set and a few packs
  • Ca$h 'n Guns ruined second edition
  • Lords of Xidit
  • UFS Protoman tin

Panamax, two copies of Tragedy Looper, Dead of Winter, and the Robinson Crusoe expansion because they were loving stolen.

Someone at the same booth as me carrying a ton of bags (like me) most likely accidentally (?) grabbed the generic bag holding those games and then most likely intentionally kept them.

The most annoying part is that is probably the third worst thing to happen to me at GenCon this year.

:negative:

(I'm still going next year)

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
My haul is mostly Malifaux stuff ($75 in booth credit helps), but I did pick up a couple of things.

Brother Bastian and Ozrik expansions for Red Dragon Inn
pre-ordered Chaosmos (thanks for pointing it out Mike)
Couple of the AEG games in the bags (not Love Letter)

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nesbit37 posted:

The crown jewel though is that orange B3. Can't believe that I found one at gen con, it wasn't in the collectible a section of the auction, and the vendor that had it listed it for less than 50% of its current going value. That module is the first adventure from TSR written by a woman and it ruined her career. Had some questionable content, such as some art of one of the other TSR employees wives tied up and waiting to have terrible things done to her. The day it came from the printers and the executives saw it they threw all of them away and the only ones that survived are the ones a few employees pulled out of the trash. Thing is crazy stupid rare, one of the rarest published RPG items people care about that there is.

A copy of that sold for $300 at the Gencon auction in what I'm guessing is similar condition. Like new condition bagged and shrink wrapped versions sell in the $1,000's. How much did you pay for that?

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
I ended up spending more time with my old friends than I anticipated, but following along with this thread and the GroupMe was a lot of fun. TOVA was as good as promised, and my only complaints relate to United Airlines and my unhappy feet. Next year, I'm hoping to spend more time at Games on Demand. Was it always so busy that getting into a newer/more popular game was unlikely? I got into a great Apocalypse World game, but that was after my first choice was double-booked and my second choice was taken.

I did see Alien Rope Burn teaching Pixel Tactics at one point, but the booth was swamped. Instead of coming back later, I got distracted by a demo and didn't come back later.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Sionak posted:

Oooh. Did you or anyone else from RPPR get to the Lovecraft meets Tradecraft panel?

yeah we got both panels recorded. The tradecraft panel was hilarious because it was mostly the game designers snarking on each other. Ken Hite in particular was pretty witty and that poo poo was hilarious "Oh really Mr. Glancy, master of scenario writing efficiency, tell us about not going too far with research!"

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Kotae posted:

I did get:
Legendary Encounters

Have you had a chance to try it yet? I'd really like to know how it is.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Trustworthy posted:

My biggest surprise this year was how few Guardians of the Galaxy cosplayers I saw. I figured those would be crawling out of the woodwork by the dozens.

This Rocket Raccoon and Groot team is all that was necessary.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

A copy of that sold for $300 at the Gencon auction in what I'm guessing is similar condition. Like new condition bagged and shrink wrapped versions sell in the $1,000's. How much did you pay for that?

$300 when? It wasn't this year or last year unless somehow it didn't make it to the collectible section which would be crazy. Two sold on ebay this year, one for 1800 and another for 2200, the second in similar condition to this one. One sold at the auction at gen con 2008 for 3000. I paid 800.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 19, 2014

Kotae
May 22, 2007

how cute!

TheHoosier posted:

Have you had a chance to try it yet? I'd really like to know how it is.

I've not played Encounters yet - but I really enjoy the original Legendary (friend owns it). I think the Alien version lends to more co-op than the original, but I'll need to play it to say for sure.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Had a blast at GenCon as expected. Did the trivia Thursday and won a couple games. Spent most of my time at Games on Demand and got to try Torchbearer, Monsterhearts, Durance, Dread, Cortex+, and a couple others. Anyways, here's my loot.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

DNA Cowboys posted:

I ended up spending more time with my old friends than I anticipated, but following along with this thread and the GroupMe was a lot of fun. TOVA was as good as promised, and my only complaints relate to United Airlines and my unhappy feet. Next year, I'm hoping to spend more time at Games on Demand. Was it always so busy that getting into a newer/more popular game was unlikely? I got into a great Apocalypse World game, but that was after my first choice was double-booked and my second choice was taken.

When we went on Saturday it was indeed super busy. But I think it all comes down to the boarding pass system. If they pick your letter early, you will get what you want. If not, you'll be getting whatever's left.

My group got picked second when we went, so half of us went in a magical cat game and the other half decided to play Dungeon World Rat Queens. Both games were a lot of fun, but most of the ones on the table looked pretty good to me. The guy running the table really encouraged us not to get our hearts set on one thing or try to keep our whole 4 person group together.

It was super fun and I think we'll be doing more of that in the future.

clockworkjoe posted:

yeah we got both panels recorded. The tradecraft panel was hilarious because it was mostly the game designers snarking on each other. Ken Hite in particular was pretty witty and that poo poo was hilarious "Oh really Mr. Glancy, master of scenario writing efficiency, tell us about not going too far with research!"

You guys are awesome, I really appreciate the panel recordings you do. It's pretty great when that crew gets together - Stolze told us about some of the moments from one of the games they played together at the con. ("Delta Green really just needs a pamphlet: So You've Been Oviposited")

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

My Gen Con "haul" was Coup with the Reformation expansion (which I would have loved to play with goons at least once, but Avalon works better once you've got more than 6), Dragon Slayer Dice (which was only $5 with Coup, and I'll buy just about anything for $5), and then a Call of Cthulhu sourcebook that Novus Ordo Seclorum gave me for losing the most sanity on my adventure during the Leo Song game/LARP and Terese Nielsen's autograph on my judge foil lands (the crown jewel of my Gen Con, and of my card collection, and they cost me only a wait in line and a tip).

I don't feel like I did a lot, but I like that I kept enough time free for pick up games with friends/internet acquaintances, even if all we did was play Avalon in various drinking establishments. ("Eyes closed, fists in" is going to be a motto of mine for some time.)

My group also had one Gen Con newbie, and he says he's going back again, too, so the Church of Gen Con has at least one new convert, and I'm always looking for more.

If you're around DC (or already in the area), get my info out of the google doc and/or find me on facebook; I'm usually up for gaming at any time, as long as it schedules around curling, Magic, and various other things.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nesbit37 posted:

$300 when? It wasn't this year or last year unless somehow it didn't make it to the collectible section which would be crazy. Two sold on ebay this year, one for 1800 and another for 2200, the second in similar condition to this one. One sold at the auction at gen con 2008 for 3000. I paid 800.

1984, which is something I misread. $800 is definitely a steal when you consider inflation as well.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Official numbers are in: 56,614, which is about.. 15%? higher than last year, and double the size of 2009

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

clockworkjoe posted:

Oh, that was you guys recording? I was sitting across the aisle from you.

E: Were you there with Caleb? I met him at an Eclipse Phase event and wanted to get his contact info, but didn't get a chance at either place. If not, ignore me. :)

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 19, 2014

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yesssss I predicted 56,000 figuring last year's growth would not be duplicated but that growth would still be substantial. And they filled the whole convention center this year... Look to the 61,000 next year to coincide with growing calls to move the convention :(

I still marvel at just how well Indianapolis does fit Gen-Con though. If you pay attention you can still escape the crowds easily and other than the exhibit hall barely any area feels choked with people... Though granted the exhibit hall is pretty intense at times. Thursday this year definitely felt like the Saturday crushes of the past.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I saw a story that expanding to at least part of the Lucas Oil Stadium is not out of the question

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Finally, a suitable location for the Auction!

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

My Gen Con haul:

-Doomtown Reloaded Premium Edition
-Sons of Anarchy
-Heroes Wanted
-Lost Legacy: The starship and the gardens
-Golem Arcana

Sons Of Anarchy is a fun game if you liked Spartacus. Saw Quarex at the auction and TOVA was entertaining and fun. Was disappointed that the charity auction moved at a snails pace. Forgot the auctioneers name but he would give a 30 minute backstory about the item and put me to sleep. Tried to stay but walked away after 30 minutes of that. Wanted to bid on some games too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This was my favorite thing just because the Flying Frog crew signed the hell out of my box.

I got the modelers, the artists, the creators, some playtesters and a couple random people working the booth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

SirFozzie posted:

I saw a story that expanding to at least part of the Lucas Oil Stadium is not out of the question

Oh good, we needed a space further away from the con for seminars, because hauling balls from Union Station to the JW and back wasn't a big enough pain in the rear end.

• Locked thread