Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Have the devs decided on a way to totally redo progression lately? Or is that a quarterly thing?

heh heh heh take that chucklefish!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
It keeps the game fresh!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Still laughing over the "What's the matter Molly, SOMETHING AWFUL happen?!" I imagine it with the ugliest poo poo eating smug grin, followed by a fedora tip. What an awesome games journalist, exposing the gilded mask that is Starbound.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's not such a bad idea. It's a group that created a popular game that made millions of dollars. I think that's more of a long term plan, really, so that they have the group all in one place to work on whatever they're going to do next. Say what you will about Chucklefish but I think they have a pretty solid future ahead of them as their skills improve. Yeah they hosed up some stuff along the way but, you know, they're human, they can learn things.

Moving a development team to an area where rent costs around 3 to 5 grand a month is pretty hilarious.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Party Plane Jones posted:

Moving a development team to an area where rent costs around 3 to 5 grand a month is pretty hilarious.

Oh wow London is that expensive? Sweet mercy. I certainly hope those rumors of six figure incomes were true if that's the case.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Unless they don't have enough money to develop the game, I don't see what's funny about it?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there any way to progress past Titanium Tier currently (nightly build)?
I assume not since these gate outposts seem to be important in some way but they currently don't have anything in them.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

It would be pretty hilarious if that was even remotely true and you weren't just pulling numbers out of your arse, yes.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Vib Rib posted:

Unless they don't have enough money to develop the game, I don't see what's funny about it?

It's poor future planning and reeks of someone with not much business sense making the call. I'm not critical of the development schedule but packing everyone up and moving to a hugely expensive European city sounds a lot more like an artist wanting to live out their fantasies than sound financial planning.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

natetimm posted:

It's poor future planning and reeks of someone with not much business sense making the call. I'm not critical of the development schedule but packing everyone up and moving to a hugely expensive European city sounds a lot more like an artist wanting to live out their fantasies than sound financial planning.

We don't exactly have details of their financials. All that publishing is probably doing a lot of good for their coffers, if nothing else.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.

natetimm posted:

You know who else moved to an expensive European city to live our their artistic fantasies?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Patware posted:

We don't exactly have details of their financials. All that publishing is probably doing a lot of good for their coffers, if nothing else.

I'm sure they can handle it now or they wouldn't have done it, but it's probably not what trained financial professionals would have recommended for pulling everyone under one roof. You only get to live once though, I can see the appeal for doing it. I can just see how it boggles other people as well.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

natetimm posted:

It really is a very strange idea that this has anything to do with the current state of game development or indeed any impact on anything at all.

If they'd decided to relocate the whole team to Manchester or somewhere else that's reasonably cheap, do you think we would see any difference? I don't see any indication that lack of funds is a factor at all.

Lots of businesses choose to locate themselves in London if they can afford it so if CF can afford it then cool I guess? I don't think it makes patches come out any slower so I don't understand why anyone cares. I'm sure being in London has a bunch of benefits in terms of networking and hiring and other crap I don't really know much about.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 19, 2014

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

natetimm posted:

You're still not really explaining how it's a bad idea. Like, if they have the money to support that, then what's the problem? Is living in London, in itself, a bad idea? Does this somehow relate to Starbound in any way?
It'd be one thing if they did this while simultaneously begging for more cash to continue development, but for all the complaints people may have about the game I don't think the team's revenue really enters into it.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Vib Rib posted:

You're still not really explaining how it's a bad idea. Like, if they have the money to support that, then what's the problem? Is living in London, in itself, a bad idea? Does this somehow relate to Starbound in any way?
It'd be one thing if they did this while simultaneously begging for more cash to continue development, but for all the complaints people may have about the game I don't think the team's revenue really enters into it.

It's short-sighted. It's one of those scenarios where you feel you can afford something now so you immediately go out and buy it instead of looking at the full picture. Sort of like how every stupid 19 year old sailor buys a brand new sports car or lifted truck or whatever as soon as they start getting paid. Yes, you can technically afford it but you're really paying for luxury, and you never know what the future is going to bring. Planning that your business is always going to have it as good or better as it does right now is limiting your options for the future and increasing the price you pay later on in times where things get more lean.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

natetimm posted:

It's short-sighted. It's one of those scenarios where you feel you can afford something now so you immediately go out and buy it instead of looking at the full picture. Sort of like how every stupid 19 year old sailor buys a brand new sports car or lifted truck or whatever as soon as they start getting paid. Yes, you can technically afford it but you're really paying for luxury, and you never know what the future is going to bring. Planning that your business is always going to have it as good or better as it does right now is limiting your options for the future and increasing the price you pay later on in times where things get more lean.

But... lots of businesses locate themselves in London. Are they all doomed? Or are we talking about short-sightedness as in a failure to see a more minor issue than being doomed, such as higher rents? Because that sounds like the sort of thing that may well have been predicted and considered to be a compromise vs the perceived benefits of being located there.

I'm not sure you can really point to a decision that a vast number of businesses have made and say "hahaha that's so stupid they clearly didn't think about the down side of this".

And you still seem to be failing to extrapolate this short-sightedness into something that we should actually care about. I don't think I have ever cared about where a particular developer was located for a game I play - and I'm sure some of them were located in London too! Why is it so important for Starbound that I care where their offices are?

Chalks fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 19, 2014

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Let's face it London is doomed, give it back to the Romans, tia

Hey assholes, they're going to try to make the MM upgrade-able like we generally wanted. Cool, right?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Chalks posted:

But... lots of businesses locate themselves in London. Are they all doomed? Or are we talking about short-sightedness as in a failure to see a more minor issue than being doomed, such as higher rents? Because that sounds like the sort of thing that may well have been predicted and considered to be a compromise vs the perceived benefits of being located there.

I'm not sure you can really point to a decision that a vast number of businesses have made and say "hahaha that's so stupid they clearly didn't think about the down side of this".

And you still seem to be failing to extrapolate this short-sightedness into something that we should actually care about. I don't think I have ever cared about where a particular developer was located for a game I play. Why is it so important for Starbound that I care where their offices are?

It reminds me a lot of the dot com busts where you had people who weren't really financially savvy planning and making decisions around stuff they thought would be cool vs. stuff that would actually be the right decisions. A lot of companies move to London but what is it exactly that a video game company gains whose primary method of making money is digital distribution of games over the internet? What's the up side? Where's the value added in that decision?

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Literally Kermit posted:

Let's face it London is doomed, give it back to the Romans, tia

Hey assholes, they're going to try to make the MM upgrade-able like we generally wanted. Cool, right?

http://playstarbound.com/august-18th-more-manipulation/

Lots of people talking about things they have no knowledge or understanding of in this thread so how about we keep it to talking about the actual game instead?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

God, you people will never be satisfied. http://playstarbound.com/august-18th-more-manipulation/ Look, there's people actually noticing all the loving whining over the MM so that may actually turn into a useful tool! Okay?! Okay.

natetimm posted:

poo poo MAN. They moved together into one central studio in LONDON! gently caress me, it looks like Chucklefish is gonna crash and burn harder than Ride to Hell Retribution did at this rate. RIP space explorer game, if only those millions had gone to someone who could manage money properly and not a bunch of scammers that- :goonsay:

edit: hot drat, triple beaten on MM upgrades

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Supernorn posted:

Lots of people talking about things they have no knowledge or understanding of in this thread so how about we keep it to talking about the actual game instead?

What game?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

You know who else moved to an expensive European city to live our their artistic fantasies?

Best post in this entire thread

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Supernorn posted:

I think that the option to make your ship from scratch should be in vanilla, not just a mod. I want to make a cool island spaceship with trees!

I didn't check though, are all racial spaceships going to have the same basic layout of rooms as they upgrade?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Literally Kermit posted:

I think that the option to make your ship from scratch should be in vanilla, not just a mod. I want to make a cool island spaceship with trees!

I didn't check though, are all racial spaceships going to have the same basic layout of rooms as they upgrade?

No, they each seem to get a different layout

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Magmarashi posted:

No, they each seem to get a different layout

That's something, I guess! They are pretty spacious inside but I don't think the large cargo holds will allow a tree to grow. Lots of room for gardening though!

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Literally Kermit posted:

This, but in chests. I want to search for more awesome treasure.

gently caress yeah, on the MM though! Thanks Chucklefish.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

O hell yes, and they're giving it the ability to gather liquids too. Now this might just be the change we need to get this game back on track. That and getting rid of tiered mining holy poo poo I tried it yesterday and that's loving dumb.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

No, who

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Fargin Icehole posted:

Still laughing over the "What's the matter Molly, SOMETHING AWFUL happen?!" I imagine it with the ugliest poo poo eating smug grin, followed by a fedora tip. What an awesome games journalist, exposing the gilded mask that is Starbound.

link me to something please, anyone, thank you,

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Leonardo da Vinci

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really hope they take the suggestion about using a hotkey to switch "hotbars" into a build mode which has decorations, blocks, torches and stuff, and a combat mode, which has weapons food and stuff like that.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Turtlicious posted:

I really hope they take the suggestion about using a hotkey to switch "hotbars" into a build mode which has decorations, blocks, torches and stuff, and a combat mode, which has weapons food and stuff like that.
This is a really good idea.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Supernorn posted:

It's cool that they're doing something about that, it was a little odd - but the fact that everyone is using swords all over the place is about the same level of weird and that seems a bit more ingrained.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 19, 2014

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
This game is in like alpha right? So technically if Steam never picked it up we probably wouldn't even know about it for 2-3 years from now, or something like that?

Also lol people can commute into London but I think discussing how everyone moved is irrelevant.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
One thing I really want in Starbound is for things to not go directly to my loving hotbar.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

natetimm posted:

:ironicat:

You of all people implying that centralising your labour pool in one location for a small business to take advantage of the same timezone is poor business sense? This is loving mindboggling, mate. :frogout: and head your rear end to reddit.

Supernorn posted:

This is good news. Do the team have a sort of endline ideal for a fully upgraded MM?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
While It's cool that official upgrades for the MM are coming, I really, really hope the fact it starts off mining one block at a time in that preview gif does not indicate what I think it does (I think it means needing to upgrade it for more than 1x1 digging is in it's future).

Literally Kermit posted:

That's something, I guess! They are pretty spacious inside but I don't think the large cargo holds will allow a tree to grow. Lots of room for gardening though!

Most of the ships upgrade concept previews were pretty cool. Though while I forget which preliminary mock-up it was for what ship, I didn't like how one spread into vertically deep "I'd need to craft platforms, or have vertically oriented techs to actually get out of here" holds.

I mean, everyone loves the idea of a big cargo hold. But don't make it's only access point a hole through it's ceiling five times taller than your jump height.

EDIT: vvv Is that a "Now I can dig up the rocks I need to make a stone pickaxe even SLOWER" thankfully? I can't even tell in this thread anymore.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 19, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Section Z posted:

While It's cool that official upgrades for the MM are coming, I really, really hope the fact it starts off mining one block at a time in that preview gif does not indicate what I think it does (I think it means needing to upgrade it for more than 1x1 digging is in it's future).

The other night it was like ten copper ingots to double the area so I think that's a safe bet. (Thankfully)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Supernorn posted:

Looks excellent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Shoehead posted:

Best post in this entire thread

Neat

• Locked thread