Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

The Narrator posted:

For the next one we added Percival, then the next one we added Morgana too. There were a few fuckups (people giving away their role/alignment during the eyes closed bit), but they're considerably rarer already. Evil overwhelmingly won the first few games, which I attribute to Good still learning the strategy involved.

How can you add Percival without Morgana? Then you just have a good guy who knows who Merlin is and you've powered up the good team. Though I guess if your bad guys are winning overwhelmingly that might not be bad. You might want to add Oberon if you keep having trouble with bad guys always winning, though I think you'll figure it out with just assassin/Merlin/Percival/Morgana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Bosushi! posted:

As someone who also plays a bunch of fighting games, I'll say its a matter of taste(and a little bit of economics). Yomi and Battlecon are both great games that capture different aspects of fighting games.

Yomi does a great job of abstracting the general character archetypes and nails down the mental games that are present in a fighting game. It's easy to teach and has a surprising amount of depth.

Battlecon has the characters move on an actual board, so it's able to capture the space control aspect. There are mind games present as well, but the "gotcha" moments don't feel nearly as satisfying as they do in Yomi. It is also easy to teach, but it's a little daunting at first for a new player to stare at all those cards in hand. It become easier after a few rounds of severe AP.

One pro that Battlecon clearly has over Yomi is that it's cheaper and has the perception of greater bang for your buck. If you want all 20 Yomi characters, it'll cost you 200 bucks. Devastation of Indines alone has 36 characters and costs 75. Keep in mind that this is not a statement about quality. I think the individual character match ups in Yomi are much more interesting than in Battlecon, but it's a straight up fact that there is more character variety.

The price point alone means you'll be able to convince more people to buy/play Battlecon.

Well, I had a big post here that really didn't say much more than 'I'll take a closer look at both games', but then I saw

Gutter Owl posted:

This question has the quickest possible answer.

You can try Yomi for free on Sirlin's website.

And you can try play-by-post BattleCON for free right here on the forums. Go to last page, ask to jump into a match. We're absolutely lousy with people who enjoy playing and running these games.

My personal preference is BattleCON.
  • Huge roster of fighters, all of whom play to different and unique styles, and a ridiculous wealth of in-box variants.
  • No randomness, aside from the human element.
  • The moveset is smaller and more easily digested and computed, without having to memorize arcane attack speeds or combo numbers or deck percentage composition. This gets you into the meat of reading and counterplay much faster.
  • Most of the women wear actual clothing in the artwork.
  • Brad Talton is a complete dork, but at least he's not a rampaging narcissistic prick like Sirlin. I'd rather give Talton my money.
But I'll fully admit that it's a matter of personal preference, and I'm sure Countblanc will make his case for Yomi shortly enough.

Thanks! I'll try Yomi now and try a BattleCON match hopefully Friday or at some point this weekend.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I really wish there was a digital version of BattleCON. I was looking at it in the store last night and just couldn't justify dropping that much money on another 2-player board game. :(

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

There's an iPad version, but last time I tried it, it crashed constantly.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

EvilChameleon posted:

How can you add Percival without Morgana? Then you just have a good guy who knows who Merlin is and you've powered up the good team. Though I guess if your bad guys are winning overwhelmingly that might not be bad. You might want to add Oberon if you keep having trouble with bad guys always winning, though I think you'll figure it out with just assassin/Merlin/Percival/Morgana.

I just got Avalon to play with some non-gamer friends (who will like it I'm sure), but I wondered what the best beginner combos are? We will be between 5 and 7 players. Said friends are top-notch backstabbing and rumor-making girls, so if injecting drama into the first round is an option, that would be cool.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I just got Avalon to play with some non-gamer friends (who will like it I'm sure), but I wondered what the best beginner combos are? We will be between 5 and 7 players. Said friends are top-notch backstabbing and rumor-making girls, so if injecting drama into the first round is an option, that would be cool.

I'd start with: Merlin, Percival, Assassin, Morgana, (+ filler dudes). +Excalibur.

Excalibur Rules/Best Practice: You can use any object you want as Excalibur - a sword, a gun, a walnut, whatever (there's a promo that gives you an actual Excalibur card, but it's just a lame picture of a sword). After a team is accepted, the leader chooses someone else on the team to hold Excalibur. After Excalibur is handed out, everyone puts their mission success/fail cards in front of them, with their mission shield on the card they're playing. The person with Excalibur may choose to chop one of the other players. If so, they look at the played card secretly, and then exchange it with the other card - so if that person had played a Success, they now played a Fail and vice versa. The player who chopped can say what card the person had initially played, but is free to lie about it or remain silent (though remaining silent would be really strange in this setup).

(Note that lying after chopping requires a tiny bit of forethought; eg. I had a game with random friends where someone got instantly caught out by trying to claim someone threw a fail on a 2 player mission - and then having a fail still show up in the played cards. Funny, but it made for kind of a silly game.)

And have fun, Avalon is awesome.

VVV: Dude below is probably right - save Excalibur for a 3rd game or something.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 19, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yomi vs BattleCON: As people have said, I really like Yomi more. Basically everything Gutter Owl said about BattleCON is right - I think it's a bit much to congratulate it on the design of its women since they're still universally Hot Anime Babes, though it's absolutely better than Yomi about that - but Bosushi's comment that the game has less of a "got'cha!" to it is ultimately why I prefer Yomi.

In BattleCON there is zero unknown information barring a few specific characters who have face-down mechanics, and I was immediately attracted to the game because of that. "I'm a cool, strong, god-fearing and fun-hating gamer, of COURSE I want as little luck as possible in my 1v1 game!" I thought as I blindly spent $100 on Devastation, the extra Kickstarter stuff, and Strikers. Turns out, I don't actually want that, despite it fitting my Gamer Persona perfectly; The lack of randomization makes the game feel much more solvable than Yomi, and it also means that there's a lot less drama in most games. Certainly BattleCON has suspense, but when I play it I feel that doesn't come out until the end of the game - Most characters just can't do anything super scary right out of the gate, or honestly outside of having a few hot turns, until they get below 7 health.

I also think BattleCON has a problem people bring up about Sentinels of the Multiverse, where the game looks simple because each individual rule interaction is straight forward and there aren't many of them, but instead all the rules are actually on each individual card. Characters often have a notable amount of character-specific mechanics, such as tracking tokens, placing hidden markers, moving around secondary characters, and other mini-games. All of their Style cards and their unique Base generally have at least twice as much text as the core Bases as well, which means as you're learning characters (both playing as and against) you'll have to spend as much time actually resolving the action between card flips as you did choosing your play in the first place. And since the huge roster and alternate game modes (oh god Arenas) is often a selling point of the game, there's a good chance you'll be in this phase of game mastery for a long time - To compare it to an actual fighting game, imagine if every character in MvC2 was just as good and weird as Sentinel, and you had to learn all those match-ups to realistically play the game.

Yomi definitely has elements of memorization if you just buy the first edition box, but the second edition (with the new characters) has reference cards ala BattleCON that lists the speed of their normals/throws and which cards have what on them (ie it'll say that 2 is both an Attack and a Dodge for Grave). I'd be shocked if there wasn't printable versions for the old characters on board game geek, and if there isn't you can easy make your own (note that having to do this is unfortunate, I'm simply saying that it's easy and doable), though since the core box only includes 10 characters I'd say it really won't take many games to just learn anyway. And honestly, it kinda feels ownage to watch two people play and be like "ok so right now Midori is in a bad place because he isn't in Dragon Form so his fastest face card is 1.2 and Lum's queen is 0.8. But there's only 4 of a possible 6 dodges in Midori's discard pile, so if he reads the queen and has a Dodge he can land 20 damage with the two Aces he just searched for and--" without looking at a reference. Movement not really being a thing in Yomi definitely makes it look more difficult to understand since the whole match is abstract, though.

Like Bosushi said, each matchup in Yomi feels really strong and interesting, I sorta feel that BattleCON relies on each character's very specific (and often lengthy text-wise) gimmicks to make matches seem explosive and unique instead of Yomi's more tame manipulation of fundamental things every character does and 3 unique abilities. Also, it's cute to suddenly "get" how each character archetype is abstracted (grapplers getting lower numbered and more damaging Throws but fewer combo points, rekkas sorta being a thing, fireball zoning on grave's hadouken, etc).

Now to knock Yomi down a peg, because there's one thing that I feel really needs mentioned about it before I can recommend it - The game starts off feeling random. BattleCON's use of distance does a good job of narrowing the immediately viable options and makes it obvious what outright bad plays would be barring super hard reads. Yomi doesn't do that. Short of asking someone, you have no idea as a new player that Rook really likes to block early to build his hand size to feed super armor, or that Geiger has an oppressive and safe zoning game, or whatever. Worse still, even if you do, your opponent might not, and that's almost just as bad because when someone is effectively playing cards off the top of their deck you can't actually read them. Think of it like when you first picked up fighting games and were just jumping around like a scrub and so was your friend - winning and losing seemed really arbitrary. And then you read a guide that said Sagat really likes to throw fireballs, but you're still new so you haven't actually got your AA game down yet and maybe you can't do 236 motions quite consistently enough yet so your scrub friend who keeps jumping still wins a few games despite you actually employing (basic) strategy. There's no reason this can't happen in BattleCON (and I've definitely seen it against people who just didn't grasp the game), but since the neutral game is so much more blatant due to knowing everything your opponent can do at a given time and distance being a thing you can see which often limits your viable plays, the game matures past this point faster than Yomi does.

Still, I've got waaaaay too many games of Yomi under my belt at this point, and the feelings I get while playing a best of 3 set in Yomi against someone I've played 20+ times before really hits that same pleasure center that a good set of your FG of choice against another skilled opponent. It's a good game, and worth sticking with.

e: If you need info in the game itself, like seeing character's Attack speeds or rule clarifications, the Fantasy Strike page has a bunch of info. It's also where you'd want to go if you wanted to make reference sheets (assuming those don't already exist somewhere)

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 19, 2014

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Percival and Morgana is definitely a good pair to have in Avalon. Adds a bit more info the mix and gives two players some bluffing they need to do.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

BonHair posted:

I agree with jmzero's post except you might want to run one or two games first before you introduce excalibur just to make sure everyone knows what's going on. I think Morgana and Percival are pretty standard for most groups and it isn't too much to overload people new to the game. I mean, any way you slice it, it's hard to go wrong with any combo, it's such a fantastic game.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Countblanc posted:

Yomi vs BattleCON

This post makes me feel good about max-backing the new Yomi on kickstarter recently.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

Yomi vs BattleCON

I'll be honest, I tried the first tutorial, and when the AI creamed me I kind of felt it was unfair. While I was going to try the further tutorials, I think your post got me to give it a more fair shot.

But mostly I must apologize, because your fighting game terminology is mostly lost on me. I liked playing fighting games, but mostly against the AI. I never got REALLY that good at these games. Best I've ever done is completing the Gamecube Soul Calibur 100% with one character on the highest difficulty.

I don't think I ever played a fighting game against someone who actually knew what he was doing. It was either using the few moves you remembered or the one move that doing again and again seemed "invincible". For instance I never got to the point where I could regularly beat someone who was just mashing buttons with Eddie in Tekken 3, and never met someone who could.

I'm hoping that by removing reflexes from the equation I'll have a better chance of learning what the hell I'm doing, because usually when it goes to reflexes I end up just relying on instinct instead of really mastering the game. I just can't think fast enough to understand what move my opponent is making and choose my counter move before I'm already on the ground if I actually try to think it through.

The thing is, what really got me interested in Flash Duels was the board and the movement on it. It really helped jump-start my imagination. So right now BattleCON is a bit higher on my 'want this' list just because it's less abstract. But again, I'll try both games a few times and hopefully get a better hang of things and will be able to make the right decision for me.

Oh, by the way do the two games have solo modes like Flash Duels? That would be awesome to train a bit since I don't get to game that often.

And before you ask why don't I just get Flash Duels, I am probably going to buy it at some point, but I also want a more complex choice for a battling experience.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Mehuyael posted:

Oh, by the way do the two games have solo modes like Flash Duels? That would be awesome to train a bit since I don't get to game that often.
BattleCON has dungeon crawl mode, which is pretty bad.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I just found Ninja Burger in a thrift shop for $2. Was this a good investment?

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Rutibex posted:

With a name like "Ninja Burger", how could you go wrong?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

werdnam posted:

With a name like "Ninja Burger", how could you go wrong?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rutibex posted:

You'll have fun with your friends.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Newfie posted:

Finally got to try out Kemet this weekend at a local board game night and had a total blast with it. We played 5 players, so I can't speak for any other setups, but the balance in this game was spot on. The entire game felt like an all out slug fest of everyone fighting everyone else for control over the smallest things, be they control of temples to get more resources, or skills from the power tiles to increase your strength. The game ultimately came down to a single person taking advantage of their just purchased extra turn to win a temporary victory point. I am not a big fan of strategy/war games, but this game felt so good even for the first time playing. The addition of having a worker placement game happening at the same time I think is what really pushed this game for me and made me be such a big fan. Ultimately a new guy won the match over my self and a friend who were new to the game and two experienced players.

At first I thought you were someone I played with last night (I skipped over the bit about it being the weekend) since I had such a similar experience – first play, five people, narrow win for the new guy. It is a good game (duh).

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Rutibex posted:

$2 is worth to experience the bad game design and get wiser. I had it, sold it, I'm sure no one in my gaming group even remembers it.

Just noticed the Dead Men Tell No Tales Kickstarter. It is so Operation Fire Rescue: Pirates of the Caribbean Edition.

Needs a major component upgrade to be worth $39 in my opinion. No idea what would make it worth $72 if you are European.

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 19, 2014

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rutibex posted:

Don't know anything about the game, OP, but you could probably use the box and the cards to construct some sort of structure with your friends, which sounds like fun to me. Anyway, my review is: good game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

echoMateria posted:

$2 is worth to experience the bad game design and get wiser. I had it, sold it, I'm sure no one in my gaming group even remembers it.

sector_corrector posted:

Don't know anything about the game, OP, but you could probably use the box and the cards to construct some sort of structure with your friends, which sounds like fun to me. Anyway, my review is: good game.

GrandpaPants posted:

You'll have fun with your friends.

Ah good, I was worried I might enjoy an actual burger more. It actually looks kind of neat, the cards are a weird size and have decent art. Like all "designer" board games I have found at thrift shops this one was still factory sealed and never played. It will fulfill its purpose of sitting on a shelf and making my collection look more impressive.

Who is donating these games without even opening them?

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
Steve Jackson basically peaked with his first published game, Ogre, and everything else has been downhill since then, with occasional upticks when there are new Ogre things.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Played Caverna this weekend as a 4-player game. Managed 77, with a three-way tie for 84 to win it. Nobody had more than 3 dwarves. I think next time I'll try and get some more dwarves, at least if nobody else is going for it.

Weapons are so tempting, but when everybody's going for adventure spaces maybe you need to recalibrate a little.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I'm starting a PBF game of Dead of Winter over here if anyone wants to join in. I dunno if it will work out as well as BSG on the forums, but it seems like it should be quite straightforward to run so I'm hopeful :)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Stelas posted:

You fight the entire group at once, taking wounds from everything you don't block. But within that, you can fight each monster separately - in which case you lose excess block or attack on each monster - or as a single group - in which case you add all their stats and more importantly their resistances together.

You're correct that you fight the entire group at once, but it works a little differently than that.

During the ranged/siege step, you can either allocate ranged/siege attacks individually in which case any excess points beyond the enemy's armor are wasted, or you can group them in one or more subsets, in which case you add together both their armor and their resistances (and I think defensive special abilities, also) but you can apply your attack value collectively to everything in that group.

Then during the block step you must block each attack separately, including multiple attacks from the same enemy (introduced in the expansion). Any unblocked attacks will go on to deal damage according to the enemy's individual attack values and special abilities. You then total up that damage and allocate it between yourself and your units, taking a wound every time the damage equals your current armor rating. If you collect more wounds from this than your current hand limit, you must immediately discard any non-wound cards from your hand.

Then the regular attack step works the same as ranged/siege except that you can use any type of attack instead of just ranged/siege attacks.

This makes cities and especially Volkare's army real bloodbaths. You'll usually be struggling to block just enough that you don't have to discard your attack hand.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

malkav11 posted:

This makes cities and especially Volkare's army real bloodbaths. You'll usually be struggling to block just enough that you don't have to discard your attack hand.

We thought that we could add enemy attacks together to block them, and mostly dealt with Volkare by using the various huge blocks (Tovak's special card, the spell that blocks proportional to each enemy, and I think there was one other thing that I can't remember), and then we discovered that you can't do that (what's even the point of that spell?), and now we have NO loving IDEA how to take on Volkare at higher difficulties. You've got to muster half a dozen different sources of block just to not get knocked out. How you are expected to then do any damage to his army is a mystery to me.

edit: I just remembered Counterattack; it seems mandatory for fighting Volkare.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

We thought that we could add enemy attacks together to block them, and mostly dealt with Volkare by using the various huge blocks (Tovak's special card, the spell that blocks proportional to each enemy, and I think there was one other thing that I can't remember), and then we discovered that you can't do that (what's even the point of that spell?), and now we have NO loving IDEA how to take on Volkare at higher difficulties. You've got to muster half a dozen different sources of block just to not get knocked out. How you are expected to then do any damage to his army is a mystery to me.

The fact that you have to block each attack separately, in full, makes block feel really anemic to me. I imagine being able to do partial and/or combined blocks would probably gently caress up the balance but I really wish it worked that way.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

There is are partial blocks for PVP combat, but i feel like it should be the same for regular combat as well. Maybe because armor for you is a straight up damage reduction, which means you woulden't even need to get the damage down to zero. Just for you to get it down to 2 or 3 or whatever and just have your armor absorb it.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Just got Mage Wars But my boyfriend keeps murdering me with rush decks. Any easy counters to this? It's a really fun game so far though.

And Just received Twilight Struggle Any particular tips I should know about playing it before I play it this weekend?

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

And Just received Twilight Struggle Any particular tips I should know about playing it before I play it this weekend?

Never play Olympic Games during the Headline phase.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

The lack of a Doomtown separate thread is disturbing. Needs more Doomtown.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mr.Trifecta posted:

The lack of a Doomtown separate thread is disturbing. Needs more Doomtown.

Have fun, it'll be dead before it hits page 3.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Crackbone posted:

Have fun, it'll be dead before it hits page 3.

In fact there already is one, on page two (of the forums, the thread itself has a single post).

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

No sense reinventing the wheel: http://twilightstrategy.com/new-to-twilight-struggle/

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Broken Loose posted:

God drat. Even I looked at that supply and was like, "Man I'd totally do Rats + Peddler with Haven support." Holy gently caress.

I dunno. I'd probably take early rats and push hard to pick up a Governor, using the Governor to trash Rats for Goons and then use Governors to draw a bunch of cards every turn while Gooning my opponents back down to 3.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Played my first session of Five Tribes tonight, just a 2p game with my gf. My initial impressions are quite favorable, as there seem to be a bunch of different ways to go about getting a high score. I had a completely separate strategy and we finished with only a 4 point difference (180-176). Artwork and components are nice, and I'm looking forward to getting a 4 player game in tomorrow.

Only complaint I have thus far is the long set-up time. Lots of things to shuffle, lay out, pick out of bags, etc.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

DontMockMySmock posted:

There's two main ways I've found to deal with Volkare. One is to amass a huge amount of Ranged and Siege damage (unlike cities, Volkare's army is not fortified by default) and just kill what you can before you get knocked out. Cards like Horn of Wrath, Bow of Starsdawn, Expose and Mana Bolt and powerful ranged units like Sorcerers and Catapults help with this approach.

The other effective strategy is to get a two or three attack card combo and just use the rest of your hand to avoid getting knocked out. For example, in my last game against a legendary Volkare I used a boosted Into the Heat to raise all my unit's attacks by 3 and then threw away my Sword of Justice, which doubles all physical attacks for the turn. I ended up with a huge attack value of like 60 which was enough to kill everything Volkare had. Cards like Tremor/Earthquake, Flame Wall/Flame Wave and Counterattack are good for this strategy.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I bought Space Alert to join the jizztrain here - is there anything I should do to learn how to play it with friends aside from playing the tutorial(s) within the game? Or should I look up some youtube videos, etc, first?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

SgtScruffy posted:

I bought Space Alert to join the jizztrain here - is there anything I should do to learn how to play it with friends aside from playing the tutorial(s) within the game? Or should I look up some youtube videos, etc, first?

I just went through the tutorials and when I teach other people I do the same thing. The tutorials are really well done and you're learning the game by just playing the game and slowly adding complexity until you're at the full game.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Still, I've got waaaaay too many games of Yomi under my belt at this point, and the feelings I get while playing a best of 3 set in Yomi against someone I've played 20+ times before really hits that same pleasure center that a good set of your FG of choice against another skilled opponent. It's a good game, and worth sticking with.

I have Devastation and backed the War reprint but I went full in on the Yomi kickstarter because of this. Battlecon is fun and I never mind playing it, but the fun comes from the enormous character selection. Playing my friend in Yomi with the same characters takes me back to being a kid and playing hours and hours of Capcom vs. SNK 2 with my buddy, and noticing both of us getting incrementally better, as well as adapting to each other's quirks and tendencies. I love Yomi, but I almost never get a chance to really recommend it to people because of the incredibly steep price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

EvilChameleon posted:

First game, Good team got absolutely trashed. They hadn't yet worked out to use the different rounds of voting to their advantage, Merlin wasn't doing as active a job as he could've been, etc. The second game we played, I decided adding Percival might help the Good team a bit, as it'll give them a tiny bit more unity. It was also my way of introducing the mechanics very softly. Next game we went whole hog and played with Assassin/Merlin/Percival/Morgana and the Lady of the Lake.

As I said, since then my group's worked out how to play Good more sensibly and they're much better at waiting to vote, questioning other people and so on. I considered Oberon last game, but didn't add him because we were playing with a group of 6 (so, two evil), and with that number, Evil would completely lose their advantage. But yeah, for a group of 8 or so I think I might throw Oberon or Mordred in.

• Locked thread