Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Weapons that are "IVI sanctioned" are weapons that are not: one hit kill, fire more than one round per shot (shotguns), heavy weapons, Max weapons, vehicle weapons, utility items, knives, or rocket launchers. Hope this helps.

Taking a look at your infantry only stats can be a fun way of tracking your progress in infantry combat, because those skills transfer over well to cheesy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Lassitude posted:

Videos of that Vonic guy doing exactly this only it's daytime have been posted here before. It's not the camo, it's a lack of situational awareness.

As someone who's been killed by Vonic (Once, yay) it's more that by some voodoo magic Vonic can kill you before you even see him on the screen. I'm sure there's a reason for it! But yeah they probably stand there looking like an idiot because of that.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Yeah I have never ever had that happen to me while tower stomping, despite seeing dozens of videos of some LA just running through crowds of people who completely ignore him or her while he/she murders all of them.

Camo definitely helps, though. I picked up that short circuit camo when it was on sale last week, and there is a noticeable difference in TR player's reaction times when I'm wearing it.

I still just shoot any idiot wearing giraffe camo though.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Weapons that are "IVI sanctioned" are weapons that are not: one hit kill, fire more than one round per shot (shotguns), heavy weapons, Max weapons, vehicle weapons, utility items, knives, or rocket launchers. Hope this helps.

Taking a look at your infantry only stats can be a fun way of tracking your progress in infantry combat, because those skills transfer over well to cheesy poo poo.

I don't know why people get so worked up over this, it's not like they don't give each of the 'unsanctioned' weapons its own special sperging-ground for stats.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Fans posted:

As someone who's been killed by Vonic (Once, yay) it's more that by some voodoo magic Vonic can kill you before you even see him on the screen. I'm sure there's a reason for it! But yeah they probably stand there looking like an idiot because he isn't on their screen yet.

He's been accused of throttling his connection in the past. I don't know if that was ever confirmed or not, but Wrel has a video on the way planetside deals with latency that gets tossed around whenever the subject comes up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3fUok2AoaU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

I don't know why people get so worked up over this, it's not like they don't give each of the 'unsanctioned' weapons its own special sperging-ground for stats.

Yeah there's actually a section for shotguns, sniper rifles, tanks, light vehicles, and aircraft!

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Fans posted:

As someone who's been killed by Vonic (Once, yay) it's more that by some voodoo magic Vonic can kill you before you even see him on the screen. I'm sure there's a reason for it! But yeah they probably stand there looking like an idiot because of that.
Latency, as long as you keep moving fast and open fire first (Especially when charging around corners) you can kill someone before, or as, their client registers you coming around the corner. Anyone can do it, it just take some skill and practice to keep your momentum while breaking LOS throughout a fight.

And I've both done, and seen, this sort of thing; Twice on TR I've seen a dude YOLO into a group of TR and just mow them all down... Both times I didn't even try to stop them, because gently caress pubbies; If you're gonna be that drat oblivious then you can go ahead and die, I'll take that extreme menace kill, thanks (And then rez you all afterwards #Certs).

If you're trying to accomplish this yourselves, you want a map that has good vertical mobility, complex geometry so you can break line-of-sight at will, and plenty of flanking angles. Facilities (Tech plants, amp stations, biolabs) and towers are best for this. There's not a lot more to say besides "keep moving", once you do it a fair bit you kinda get a route and rhythm down. If you wanna get a feel for LA movement Vonic streams p. often, and regardless of your thought on him as a person he's a drat good LA, possibly the best currently in the game.

dirty nub
Jan 19, 2009

Running right into a group of enemies works pretty drat well as long as you don't charge head on. Its a combination of latency and other players being afraid of hitting friendlies. There have been a few times I have taken out like 5 guys in a room by just charging at each one and shooting them a few times and knifing. Getting killed after running around around a corner is a good example of the games latency. On your screen you cleared the corner but on the enemies screen you were still out in the open. This is why you will see good players like Vonic constantly moving around, to take advantage of that latency lag.

Also Vonic does die a lot, he tends to get a few crazy killstreaks on towers and certain other bases but has pretty normal performance when not stomping on newbies.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It doesn't take long-rear end killstreaks to maintain a DA-level KDR. I mean a lot of those guys are at 5-7, which is super high but when you think about it that's simply killing 5 guys and dying. Vonic can kill 5 guys and die, poo poo I can kill 5 guys and die pretty regularly, that's why all my KDRs are 4+.

I just can't go on streaks full of oblivious players like that. My longest streaks involve being a cheesy-rear end motherfucker in bases I'm defending, whoring teleporters and spawn shields and walls.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I think my all time favorite change is Wrelfare shotguns for everyone. You know what's more dangerous than a BR1 with a shotgun? A BR1 with a shotgun who is on your team.

That is, I like to watch the world burn.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Desideratus posted:

If you're trying to accomplish this yourselves, you want a map that has good vertical mobility, complex geometry so you can break line-of-sight at will, and plenty of flanking angles. Facilities (Tech plants, amp stations, biolabs) and towers are best for this. There's not a lot more to say besides "keep moving", once you do it a fair bit you kinda get a route and rhythm down. If you wanna get a feel for LA movement Vonic streams p. often, and regardless of your thought on him as a person he's a drat good LA, possibly the best currently in the game.

To add to this, if you want to counter this kind of play in an easy way and not think too hard about it use prox mines. Most of the people rushing like this don't have time to look for mines in their usual hiding spots or behind doors along their routes. Once you've seen how Vonic plays LA it's pretty easy to drop mines in places you know he's going to use and just walk away, he'll kill himself pretty soon. I do this in tech plants and towers when I'm fighting DA, AC or TIW and they get pretty mad about my dishonourobu conduct. TIW less so, they're not super spergs like the other two outfits.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

How do I get the centralized hud that is simpler that i see in some videos? I recall there being an option in the menus to toggle between the 'fancy' (aka ugly and intrusive ) centralized hud and the more minimal one,but I can't find it.

Or is that 'old' HUD and it's just way better :(

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 19, 2014

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Escape --> settings in bottom right --> "Centralized HUD mode" in the top right of the "general" tab.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Jesus they really hosed over the ping i went from 150 to 200-400 regularly now and it loving hurts, get 2 platoons in a hex and i'm at 4000 and everyones flying through the air.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Westy543 posted:

Escape --> settings in bottom right --> "Centralized HUD mode" in the top right of the "general" tab.

I've got the centralized HUD up fine, I just remember it being way less obnoxious and intrusive, but apparently they re-did it entirely at some point and I was thinking of the old version of it. I thought you could toggle between the 2 versions.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
New pro loadout: T1S Cycler w/ Smoke, HS/NV, Compensator, SPA; Nade Bando + Healing nades; Resto kits; Nanite Aura.

quote:

<facialimpediment> I am going to call that loadout the Arghy
<Helreginn> Why
<Helreginn> Too much effort?
<facialimpediment> because it is so dumb, it transcends dumb and becomes good

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

So, sticky grenades...

:stonk:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Horizontal Tree posted:

New pro loadout: T1S Cycler w/ Smoke, HS/NV, Compensator, SPA; Nade Bando + Healing nades; Resto kits; Nanite Aura.

For maximum terrible you should use the shield dong instead.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
I don't know what base we were fighting at today but it was night and I think people were firing off more smoke then bullets. More then half the deaths were from friendly fire so after my third death without seeing an enemy I switched to my grenade bandolier and just started tossing AV grenades everywhere, the kills started coming in mush faster.

I've noticed that happening since the Matherson merger where some crews like to switch to HS/NV and use smoke, naturally none of the pubbies that show up know of this plan and the team-killing begins. You should earn confusion XP for using smoke that leads to team-kills kind of like the opposite of dropping a sensor dong.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

For maximum terrible you should use the shield dong instead.

I swap between the two because the shield dong is loving terrible and the self-heal is usually far more useful to me. Until I hit Aurax tier medic directives (just need some more Savior kills) I'm not gonna be hosed using it, its such poo poo.
I'm constantly flanking so the Dong just tells the bads where I am and I don't really get any shield refill points from friendlies.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

o muerte posted:

So, sticky grenades...

This is on a VS character, right?

Smoke chat: Is being able to see through smoke with the HSNV sights a settings thing? Whenever I've tried to see into smoke with it, it's just as hard cause everything is white.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Fart Car '97 posted:

I've got the centralized HUD up fine, I just remember it being way less obnoxious and intrusive, but apparently they re-did it entirely at some point and I was thinking of the old version of it. I thought you could toggle between the 2 versions.

Oh yeah, when they did all the optimizations, they made a new HUD.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Broose posted:

This is on a VS character, right?

Smoke chat: Is being able to see through smoke with the HSNV sights a settings thing? Whenever I've tried to see into smoke with it, it's just as hard cause everything is white.

No, on my TR farming VS in a tower.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Best use of Stickies: stick one two a MAX, watch as he flees to the teleporter box in a Biolab and wipes out the entire loving place.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It's really amazing how much Emerald TR seem to loathe playing engineer. I logged into my FRZA after the usual GOKU stuff and pretty much went full MAX for an hour or two and between Pounders and my Heavy Cycler/Mercy combo (staggered reloads own) I was ripping poo poo up the whole time but boy did the lack of engies hurt. There were times were I had a stairway or pass locked down and could have held it forever if the TR pulled any engineers.

I'm pretty tempted to save up certs for MAX auto-repair on my TR, which is an awful temptation for a character which isn't even BR 40.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Gobblecoque posted:

I'm pretty tempted to save up certs for MAX auto-repair on my TR, which is an awful temptation for a character which isn't even BR 40.

I have mine at level 3 - 1%/second which is pretty cheap and restores fast enough, worse case pull pounders and go stand on the roof of the spawn while you're healing up. I've seen plenty of MAX stand around a spawn room calling for repairs for five minutes or more instead of switching to auto-repair.

Worse, I've seen non-MAX stand in a spawn room yelling for heals for just as long instead of just swapping to a medic and using their heal.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Gobblecoque posted:

It's really amazing how much Emerald TR seem to loathe playing engineer. I logged into my FRZA after the usual GOKU stuff and pretty much went full MAX for an hour or two and between Pounders and my Heavy Cycler/Mercy combo (staggered reloads own) I was ripping poo poo up the whole time but boy did the lack of engies hurt. There were times were I had a stairway or pass locked down and could have held it forever if the TR pulled any engineers.

Well I mean, being a decent rando maxes repair bitch is great and all but it is perhaps more boring than even ghostcapping. Squad max who needs some lovin sure, I really only stop to top off maxes if it doesn't inconvenience me. I can't fault pubbies too much, though the TR do seem to have way less than even VS pubbies.

kidRiot
Dec 14, 2007

"I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man."
Finally home from SOE Live. :eng99:

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
Aug 19
Daily sale: Desert Scrub v1 Camo
Members sale: Engineer Skull Helmet

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Synnr posted:

Well I mean, being a decent rando maxes repair bitch is great and all but it is perhaps more boring than even ghostcapping. Squad max who needs some lovin sure, I really only stop to top off maxes if it doesn't inconvenience me. I can't fault pubbies too much, though the TR do seem to have way less than even VS pubbies.

I'm not asking for engies to go full time latch on to my MAX though. It doesn't take more than a couple seconds for any passing engy to get out their tool and top off nearby MAXes when they hear the "I need repairs" macro. Engineer is my preferred class most of the time and I repair the gently caress out of MAXes and still have plenty of time for tossing sticky grenades everywhere and shooting lots of mans.

Besides, pubbies in general are awful at the shootmans part of the game and don't tend to do anything exciting so they may as well at least help their team and print lots of certs.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

o muerte posted:

To add to this, if you want to counter this kind of play in an easy way and not think too hard about it use prox mines. Most of the people rushing like this don't have time to look for mines in their usual hiding spots or behind doors along their routes. Once you've seen how Vonic plays LA it's pretty easy to drop mines in places you know he's going to use and just walk away, he'll kill himself pretty soon. I do this in tech plants and towers when I'm fighting DA, AC or TIW and they get pretty mad about my dishonourobu conduct. TIW less so, they're not super spergs like the other two outfits.
The hilarious thing when you see DA at a fight is laying a "Vonic trap", just go to a ledge or windowsill or something as an engie, plop down a mine, and then carefully lay an ammo pack atop it. Vonic will be on his route, run low on ammo, "hey theres an ammo pack right here in a spot that's safe for me..."

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
Can you get head shot kills with mines? Since you can stick the claymore to any surface I've been sticking them to walls at face level but haven't gotten one yet. On the plus side they are pretty safe from getting accidentally set off by cross-fire and grenades.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Mines and grenades don't do headshots sadly, you need something with direct hit damage to do that like the rocket launcher or tank round. They don't give bonus damage for doing it but it's fun to get a headshot call out when using an AP cannon or Bulldog.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The only time AP cannons ever kill me, they somehow get headshots (also, the shot never lands anywhere near me, because clientside). Getting rocket primary headshots is also a great way to ensure the upcoming "good fight" tell draws some ire.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Nakar posted:

The only time AP cannons ever kill me, they somehow get headshots (also, the shot never lands anywhere near me, because clientside). Getting rocket primary headshots is also a great way to ensure the upcoming "good fight" tell draws some ire.

If you die to an AP cannon it's pretty much because you were standing still at some point.

If your enemy is standing still, it's goddamn easy to headshot.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
How dare you sir, I never stand still.

Sometimes I do pass by doors though, clearly that was my mistake.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Desideratus posted:

The hilarious thing when you see DA at a fight is laying a "Vonic trap", just go to a ledge or windowsill or something as an engie, plop down a mine, and then carefully lay an ammo pack atop it. Vonic will be on his route, run low on ammo, "hey theres an ammo pack right here in a spot that's safe for me..."

Oh my god. That's going to be a little harder with claymores but I'm sure I'll manage.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

o muerte posted:

So, sticky grenades...

Yeah VS seem to be really bad at dealing with sticky grenades lately, they're where I get the most non-teamkills from with them

Whereas with TR

code:
throw grenade
pubbie runs right in front of me
pubbie gets clipped by bullets
pubbie runs back, gets tagged by grenade
pubbie runs into the "safety" of 2 other teammates
three teamkills
cue angry tell to tiwddol or whining over proxchat
:smith:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

So is the Air Hammer just kind of a pile of crap now? It seems worse at everything than it was when I last used it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

So is the Air Hammer just kind of a pile of crap now? It seems worse at everything than it was when I last used it.

Airhammer for style, default for substance

It's kindof poo poo now - still decent against ESFs but not significantly better than the default, and it's worse at everything else at all ranges. Great for AI if you aren't used to nose guns that actually kill people and/or enjoy getting blown up instantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Fart Car '97 posted:

Nah, it just isn't op against air anymore. Afaik its AI potential was untouched.

• Locked thread