Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A_Spec
Nov 2, 2012

Goddamn it SA, because of you I've busy playing the After the End mod at work in the afternoon. It's not like I don't have poo poo to do.

A_Spec fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Drone posted:

Edit: March of the Eagles is 75% off this week on Steam. Is it worth a fiver?

I got $5 of enjoyment out of it. Probably more than that actually, it's kind of fun playing Russia with your limitless army, and just throwing them at everyone.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

SeaTard posted:

I got $5 of enjoyment out of it. Probably more than that actually, it's kind of fun playing Russia with your limitless army, and just throwing them at everyone.

I heard it's basically pointless to play as anyone besides France or Russia, is that true?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A_Spec posted:

To be fair, all our games are ahistorical as soon as you hit the unpause button.

I would absolutely love a mode/DLC for HOI4 which essentially does an Advanced Tactics: Gold and randomises or produces a multiplayer balanced map.

E: something akin to the new world generator for EU4, but with a resource allocation system thrown in so that all factions get some of the resources they need, but are either lacking in crucial ones or have to convoy them home.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 18, 2014

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Alchenar posted:

I would absolutely love a mode/DLC for HOI4 which essentially does an Advanced Tactics: Gold and randomises or produces a multiplayer balanced map.
They kind of tried that in HOI2 http://www.paradoxian.org/hoi2wiki/index.php/Armageddon.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

That actually worked decently for a balanced MP setup IMO.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Right now on Gamersgate they got this deal: "HoI 3 collection" + "HoI: 3 Their Finest Hour" for 7 euros.

Should I buy it or not?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Raskolnikov38 posted:

That actually worked decently for a balanced MP setup IMO.

Suffered from the fact that a lack of land connection doomed the island power's manpower.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Knightsoul posted:

Right now on Gamersgate they got this deal: "HoI 3 collection" + "HoI: 3 Their Finest Hour" for 7 euros.

Should I buy it or not?

Do you want one of the most grognardy games that Paradox has ever put out? Because even people who love it (like myself) admit that it's a micromanager's worst nightmare because there are so many loving provinces, and so many divisions to assign generals to so that your Order of Battle is just right and so many techs and the a lot of really obtuse mechanics (good luck trying to figure out how to make efficient combined arms divisions without a guide). At least you can automate it, but never play as the Soviet Union unless you hate yourself.

On the other hand watching the Soviet Union collapse like a house of cards because of your carefully designed divisions hitting the right places at the right times and creating massive kettles over 5 provinces in diameter for the Soviets to die in is so satisfying to me.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So things were going well until I had a massive Catholic uprising. Is there any way, when taking over a county to sack everyone there who's not your culture/religion and install your own without your happy vassals getting mad?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Elendil004 posted:

So things were going well until I had a massive Catholic uprising. Is there any way, when taking over a county to sack everyone there who's not your culture/religion and install your own without your happy vassals getting mad?

Medium crown authority or higher will let you revoke infidel titles for free, and I believe Muslims and Byzantines can both strip ducal titles for free.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Allahu ackbar here I come. Multiple wives, too, right?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

Allahu ackbar here I come. Multiple wives, too, right?

Yep. Just remember, though: You can only revoke the DUCAL titles for free. They still keep all their counties.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Tomn posted:

Yep. Just remember, though: You can only revoke the DUCAL titles for free. They still keep all their counties.

Aw booo. If I conquer your rear end I want you gone.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
If they're infidels, then you can and should strip everything.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Drone posted:

I heard it's basically pointless to play as anyone besides France or Russia, is that true?

I've never actually tried anyone other than Russia, but I would think that Sweden, France, Russia, Prussia, Great Britain, and the Ottomans should all be fun out of the box. Smaller countries have a lack of generals, but Wiz made a little tool to generate a ton of generals for every country, which gets rid of the main problem with them.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Don Gato posted:

Do you want one of the most grognardy games that Paradox has ever put out? Because even people who love it (like myself) admit that it's a micromanager's worst nightmare because there are so many loving provinces, and so many divisions to assign generals to so that your Order of Battle is just right and so many techs and the a lot of really obtuse mechanics (good luck trying to figure out how to make efficient combined arms divisions without a guide). At least you can automate it, but never play as the Soviet Union unless you hate yourself.

On the other hand watching the Soviet Union collapse like a house of cards because of your carefully designed divisions hitting the right places at the right times and creating massive kettles over 5 provinces in diameter for the Soviets to die in is so satisfying to me.

Huh. I never thought the Combined Arms mechanic was obtuse. All the unit types are colour coded and there's a little box showing how the CA bonus changes as you mix n match types. What'd you find unclear?

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Don Gato posted:

Thanks for the reply, I think I prefer mantain my mental health. :eng101:
Back to play for me the old The Operational Art of War.....

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Knightsoul posted:

Thanks for the reply, I think I prefer mantain my mental health. :eng101:
Back to play for me the old The Operational Art of War.....

If you're already playing TOAW and liking it, HOI3 isn't really that far off. Heck, if you set diplomacy, production, espionage and all that other stuff to AI-control and just push counters around, I'd argue that it is TOAW on a global scale.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Any suggestions on army setup for Victoria 2? I just united Scandinavia and I think I can max out around 40 brigades at the moment, and ~80 ship support points.

-Is there a good target % of soldiers for an average state? With Sweden I was around 4.5% on average, and now that Denmark's under me I found the AI got them up around 7-8%. Am I being too much a pacifist?

-Aside from trying to maintain a good home force against any funny stuff from Russia, I'm slowly trying to figure out how to keep projecting foreign power.

• I've sphere'd Egypt and Hedjaz, and spent a good couple years keeping Jordan from the Ottomans. I'd like to leave a modest army there to keep them from coming back in to Jordan in a few years.
  • I've also sphere'd Argentina since it seems like nobody is too much interested in them...but aside from border skirmishes with Bolivia I'm assuming they're good without standing support
  • With the addition of Danish Ghana I'm assuming it's a good idea to have a small force there just in case, since once I can manage the life rating I'd like to aim into Nigeria and their coal resources
  • Vietnam has given me a casus belli twice now, and I'm trying to decide of I can make a dent into SE Asia with an army of ~30,000 with good tech? I feel like I might be stretching myself thin here.

Also, how do you best judge valuable areas to colonize/sphere? I feel like I'm making all my choices based on aesthetics...

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Also, how do you best judge valuable areas to colonize/sphere? I feel like I'm making all my choices based on aesthetics...

Sounds like you've already got things figured out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You want to have at least 10 brigade armies to max out capture speed.

You want to have enough Recon units (AKA Cavalry, later Airplanes) such that 10% of your brigades are Recon units, so 1 Cav for a 10 brigade army, 2 for a 20 brigade army. This is to max out capture speed as well.

You want to have enough Engineer units such that 10% of your brigades are Engineers. This is also to max out capture speed, especially against enemy provinces with forts, and to help your army dig-in

There are Siege and Recon percentage indicators on the army display.

You want to have a 1:1 ratio of Infantry to Cannon - Infantry takes the hits, Cannon deals the damage. Or a few more Infantry than you have Cannon so there's a bit of slack in case Infantry takes lots of losses. Also, Infantry to cover the Engineers that'll be fighting from the back.

You want to have maybe 2-4 Guards brigades so that the front-line can deal damage too.

A 20-brigade army would look something like:

2 Cavalry (I always forget which Cavalry is best here. I think it's the Dragoon)
2 Engineers
5 Cannon
4 Guards
7 Infantry (2 to cover the 2 Engineers, 5 to cover the 5 Cannon)

Or 2 Guards, 6 Cannon and 8 Infantry

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Any suggestions on army setup for Victoria 2? I just united Scandinavia and I think I can max out around 40 brigades at the moment, and ~80 ship support points.

-Is there a good target % of soldiers for an average state? With Sweden I was around 4.5% on average, and now that Denmark's under me I found the AI got them up around 7-8%. Am I being too much a pacifist?

-Aside from trying to maintain a good home force against any funny stuff from Russia, I'm slowly trying to figure out how to keep projecting foreign power.

• I've sphere'd Egypt and Hedjaz, and spent a good couple years keeping Jordan from the Ottomans. I'd like to leave a modest army there to keep them from coming back in to Jordan in a few years.
  • I've also sphere'd Argentina since it seems like nobody is too much interested in them...but aside from border skirmishes with Bolivia I'm assuming they're good without standing support
  • With the addition of Danish Ghana I'm assuming it's a good idea to have a small force there just in case, since once I can manage the life rating I'd like to aim into Nigeria and their coal resources
  • Vietnam has given me a casus belli twice now, and I'm trying to decide of I can make a dent into SE Asia with an army of ~30,000 with good tech? I feel like I might be stretching myself thin here.

There is no real target % of soldiers - it all depends on your needs. Judge for yourself by taking a look at your likely opponents' numbers and their tech compared to your tech.

As for army comp, I usually go with a bare bones setup of 4x Infantry, 3x Artillery, 1x Hussars (for recon) and 1x Engineers (for siege efficiency), multiply as needed. You can experiment with dedicated siege stacks and attack stacks and defense stacks, but that's probably more for a country with an army larger than yours.

Also, Vietnam is a great target. It's top 3 on the list of great unciv targets (Johore is probably #1 because mad precious metals stacks, and Sokoto is the third one because dem pops) - it's got great goods and decent pops AFAIK. You might just want to sphere them if you feel you're spreading yourself too thin, but annexing them is a good idea most of the time.

And you can probably ignore defending your colonial holdings. Every soldier on the mainland is a soldier that's going to be fighting for the important states that actually give proper warscore. Colonies mostly give jack poo poo for warscore, so the AI can be occupying your vast African holdings while you overrun their mainland with your African soldiers you brought over and you're going to win out nine times out of ten (the one time being a massive colonial war where there's like five wargoals in Africa being contested).

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

tradegoods you want to grab

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

podcat posted:

tradegoods Pretty borders you want to grab

This is a Paradox thread, mister!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is a Paradox thread, mister!

No, see, you grab the trade goods you need and THEN you conquer around them until you have pretty borders.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Their are four types of cavalry- generic Cavalry which suck and are for unindustrialized nations, Hussars which are for recon, Curaissiers which are for fighting, and Dragoons which are balanced. Dragoons are the best- Curaissiers don't give recon and Hussars are weak and provide too much recon.

I do 8-10 brigade armies in NNM, but I'm nuts about attrition so take your pick. I favor 4 Infantry, 4 Artillery, 1 Dragoon, and 1 Engineer- it can fight, it can siege, it can do anything, and it has plenty of friends if they're needed.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

I have two criteria:

1) Does it have a tradegood my industry needs or is likely to need?

2) Does it have a whole lot of people in it? The more people you conquer/sphere, the larger your market is, and the more people you can sell to without worrying about having to compete with some foreigner.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Anyone know what the release timetable is for Art of War? I kinda want to start a new grand campaign in EU4 but if Art of War is gonna come and mess with my ironman save in a couple weeks I'd rather just wait.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Don Gato posted:

e: Boooo the Gamersgate sale isn't the OSX version.

Pork Pie Hat fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 19, 2014

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Thanks for the input, all. Sadly that only encourages me to ask more questions. In particular, was I dumb to not keep building Man O' Wars early on? I've hit 1863 and finally have Monitors, but now I need to get level-3 ports (which I need to research), so I'm at least another 4-5 years from having the first one roll off the lines. Right now my navy is mostly steam transports and commerce raiders.

From a stats perspective it looks like commerce raiders stack up well against the Man O' Wars, but they don't add to my military prestige score...which seems like a problem.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Drone posted:

Anyone know what the release timetable is for Art of War? I kinda want to start a new grand campaign in EU4 but if Art of War is gonna come and mess with my ironman save in a couple weeks I'd rather just wait.

It usually feels like they announce dlc six to eight weeks out? Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. I wouldn't expect it until early October.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Thanks for the input, all. Sadly that only encourages me to ask more questions. In particular, was I dumb to not keep building Man O' Wars early on? I've hit 1863 and finally have Monitors, but now I need to get level-3 ports (which I need to research), so I'm at least another 4-5 years from having the first one roll off the lines. Right now my navy is mostly steam transports and commerce raiders.

From a stats perspective it looks like commerce raiders stack up well against the Man O' Wars, but they don't add to my military prestige score...which seems like a problem.

Personal preference here, but unless you have a pressing need to wooden ships in the early game, I usually just wait to build my navy until after I unlock cruisers at least. The military score you gain from capital ships increases exponentially depending on how developed the ships are, and I believe Men-o-War give you the smallest score bump.

Massive, continents spanning wars are for the mid/late game anyway.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Drone posted:

They haven't even started posting dev diaries yet. You've got at least a month, probably more like two.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Fintilgin posted:

It usually feels like they announce dlc six to eight weeks out? Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. I wouldn't expect it until early October.

Not before late oct

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

You don't need to build man o'wars to keep your naval bases up to date. And I don't usually bother with monitors; ironclads or nothing, thanks.

pdxjohan posted:

Not before late oct

Similar timeframe for Big Chuck?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

I only build Man 'o' Wars if I absolutely have to get into naval battles early (that's never the case). Otherwise I just research the tech with the ironclad invention ASAP and then build like 30 or so once the invention unlocks.

Then use them to sink Britain's entire outdated fleet :getin:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Getting ironclads before the British is probably the most :getin: you can get in a paradox game.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

I only build Man 'o' Wars if I absolutely have to get into naval battles early (that's never the case). Otherwise I just research the tech with the ironclad invention ASAP and then build like 30 or so once the invention unlocks.

Then use them to sink Britain's entire outdated fleet :getin:

The best battle I ever had involved a 30 ship fleet i had sinking the entirety of the british fleet with out a single loss and almost no damage :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
What's the final word on V2 factories? When you have a shitload, most of which are unprofitable because :capitalists:, should you subsidize everything forever or let the free market reign and let them die?

• Locked thread