Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

effectual posted:

I think WA is still trying to build a new coal shipping port or 2, but we have the nimby crowd doing what they can to slow/stop it. I can't blame em, running all that train traffic through downtown Seattle shuts down several big intersections, and the cars aren't even covered so coal dust flies all over the place. How loving cheap are the coal companies that they can't make a retractable cover like asphalt trucks?

If they cover the coal it heats up and catches on fire. They literally can't cover it. They're talking about adding little water spritzers to spray water on the coal and keep the dust down but as you can imagine that is super expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

LGD posted:

Brazilian food is around in both food-cart and regular form, but all of the African places I can think of are Ethiopian/Eritrean. Oh and Chez Dodo, but I have no idea how representative of Mauritian cuisine it is. Doesn't matter to me though, as it's a tasty lunch option regardless.

Where'd Chez Dodo move to? That place is awesome.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

gohuskies posted:

If they cover the coal it heats up and catches on fire. They literally can't cover it. They're talking about adding little water spritzers to spray water on the coal and keep the dust down but as you can imagine that is super expensive.

They do spray some sort of sealer on it to keep the dust down, but there's still a significant amount of dust coming off.

The cost:benefit for WA just doesn't make sense. The amount of jobs and tax money we'd get is tiny compared to the danger of running the trains through, plus the ecological impact of the dust, plus the risk of an accident, plus the damage to the shoreline and ecosystem.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Xand_Man posted:

Wasn't this supposed to be a politics thread? Anyone know a good place to get pollo en la brasa in Seattle?
I was under the impression it is just a general PacNW thread. Regardless, politics talk is always going to devolve into either food or sports talk, anyhow, best just roll with it.

oxbrain posted:

They do spray some sort of sealer on it to keep the dust down, but there's still a significant amount of dust coming off.

The cost:benefit for WA just doesn't make sense. The amount of jobs and tax money we'd get is tiny compared to the danger of running the trains through, plus the ecological impact of the dust, plus the risk of an accident, plus the damage to the shoreline and ecosystem.

Let's not forget the ecological impact of China burning all that loving coal.

I realize that there's a collective action problem here we're unlikely to win out on, but I'd really like to deny them any access to the West Coast whatsoever.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 19, 2014

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I forgot about that part. We're shipping coal halfway around the world to a country that has a poo poo load of coal so their smog can drift back to us.

WA has a mandate to lower our greenhouse gas emissions. Kinda pointless if we then enable china to create many times more.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

SyHopeful posted:

Where'd Chez Dodo move to? That place is awesome.

It's in the food cart pod on Stark between 4th and 5th downtown. Unless it's moved in the past few days anyhow.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I had someone come around to my apartment on Sunday to talk about their candidate for the state house of representatives. I made a point (like I do every time) to tell them, when they ask about what's important to me, to tell them I want the Boardman coal-fired power plant shut down and I don't want coal trains running through Oregon. (Also oil trains, which was a new one this year.)

I guess District 15 is a swing district this year? That's what the volunteer told me, anyway.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 23, 2016

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

xrunner posted:

I'm Charlie Brown horn noises in the comments. Which is also my real name because I kind of hate hiding behind a pseudonym.

I'm sorry, but you are a fool if you're using your real name on the internet, and telling people about it on an unrelated forum. :doh:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Hedera Helix posted:

I'm sorry, but you are a fool if you're using your real name on the internet, and telling people about it on an unrelated forum. :doh:

Why? I say absolutely nothing I wouldn't say in real life. I use the same filter in my online interactions that I use In my day to day life. I find it somewhat liberating. Hth.

Edit: I'm neither a demon or a politician. You're not going to find anyone who "my true name" has any power over. Honestly. I'm sick of the identity paranoia on the internet. It's just really not that serious.

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 20, 2014

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Somebody's never been internet detectived.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

xrunner posted:

Why? I say absolutely nothing I wouldn't say in real life. I use the same filter in my online interactions that I use In my day to day life. I find it somewhat liberating. Hth.

Edit: I'm neither a demon or a politician. You're not going to find anyone who "my true name" has any power over. Honestly. I'm sick of the identity paranoia on the internet. It's just really not that serious.

It's less that most people are scared because they have terrible secrets waiting to be uncovered, and more that a lot of people who know them in real life might be credulous enough to believe whatever random thing some rear end in a top hat on the internet decides to say about them.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Hedera Helix posted:

Ive met a few people that think that anyone not attaching their real name to every internet post they ever make means that they are a bad person and not to be trusted. People are weird.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
As far as why the comment sections in pretty much every Portland era media outlet are terrible, I assume it pissed off conservatives from outside or on the edge of the metro region for the most part. The Oregonian is probably the worst of the bunch though and to be honest, the Oregonian itself has become conservative as well which has only made it worse.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
All internet comments are terrible. It's not a PNW thing.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ardennes posted:

As far as why the comment sections in pretty much every Portland era media outlet are terrible...

Don't read the comments for any reason other than to laugh at what Obama can be blamed for now. #ThanksObama

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Xand_Man posted:

Wasn't this supposed to be a politics thread? Anyone know a good place to get pollo en la brasa in Seattle?

I don't know about Seattle, but Lynnwood has a Macchu Picchu Peruvian Restaurant. I've only been there once but I enjoyed the roast chicken, which is what they called it because I'm a dumb american but pretty sure it was pollo en la brasa.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xrunner posted:

Honest question. Where exactly do the people who comment on stories in the Oregonian come from? They're always so hateful... Case in point http://www.oregonlive.com/hillsboro/index.ssf/2014/08/cinthya_garcia-cisneros_releas.html#incart_m-rpt-1 I'm alan bittig in the comments. Which is also my real name because I kind of hate hiding behind a pseudonym. Now, not to get too deeply into my own history, but when I was 12 (1992) I watched my own 7 year old brother get killed by a car. Nate was (stupidly, as kids do) playing in the street, and the driver was (stupidly) doing 60 in a 30. I've never held either responsible. It was a horrible accident. As was this. So why, beyond the tint of the drivers skin, are people so concerned with bringing down the hammer. Personally, I just want to shake this young woman's hand and assure her it's not her fault.
Have you lived in the area long? A lot of people in Oregon, especially rural Oregon, loving hate Mexican immigrants.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So, the King County Sheriff's Office just hired Jim Pugel as their number 2 (Seattle Times link, use InPrivate/Incognito mode).

I guess they decided he hadn't hosed things up quite badly enough at the Seattle PD, and needed a chance to really gently caress them up at the county level. I don't loving get it; the guy is retired, he's got a pension, and he's a complete shitpiece; why pull him back like that?

I guess he's just too loving well-connected. He's essentially a mouthpiece for the LEO unions.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

He's essentially a mouthpiece for the LEO unions.

I think you answered your own question.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Javid posted:

All internet comments are terrible. It's not a PNW thing.

Yup, seattletimes comments are awful too

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

I have to say the ones on the Oregonian can be mean-spirited as hell, when ever there is a article about homeless in Portland there is at least a few commentators that want to "stomp them out." The rest are "now afraid to go downtown" because they may see homeless person unlike the good old days when I am sure there were still homeless people.

Isn't really worth talking about on its own, it is more that the Portland City Council more or less seems not to give poo poo either.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 20, 2014

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

The Seattle Times has always attracted the conservative base (the owner of the times is more or less a tea partier). If you wanted a more moderate / left paper, there was the PI, but alas the paper is gone and their website is just reposts from other places with very little original content :smith:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

The Seattle Times has always attracted the conservative base (the owner of the times is more or less a tea partier). If you wanted a more moderate / left paper, there was the PI, but alas the paper is gone and their website is just reposts from other places with very little original content :smith:
There's always The Stranger and The Seattle Weekly.

The comments are still poo poo, though.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

LGD posted:

It's in the food cart pod on Stark between 4th and 5th downtown. Unless it's moved in the past few days anyhow.

Thanks, it's been awhile since I've been there. It used to be over in NE, iirc.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Yup, seattletimes is awful

Fixed that for you.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Thanatosian posted:

There's always The Stranger and The Seattle Weekly.

The comments are still poo poo, though.

I have a deeply conservative friend from high school (well we were friends, haven't talked to him in forever) who follows The Stranger on facebook so he can troll their posts.

I still read the slog but I wouldn't say they're exactly journalists.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Thanatosian posted:

So, the King County Sheriff's Office just hired Jim Pugel as their number 2 (Seattle Times link, use InPrivate/Incognito mode).

I guess they decided he hadn't hosed things up quite badly enough at the Seattle PD, and needed a chance to really gently caress them up at the county level. I don't loving get it; the guy is retired, he's got a pension, and he's a complete shitpiece; why pull him back like that?

I guess he's just too loving well-connected. He's essentially a mouthpiece for the LEO unions.

Really? The Stranger has a huge hardon for him.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Raymn posted:

Really? The Stranger has a huge hardon for him.

I am a retard and totally mixed up Jim Pugel for Harry Bailey, the other interim police chief during that time.

I mean, I wasn't super excited about Pugel either, but he's not actually all that bad for a cop.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

seiferguy posted:

I believe the News Tribune is somewhat better in that regard if you're willing to risk getting killed by your neighbors because TACOMA.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
In an exciting piece of non news, the Senatorial and Gubernatorial races in Oregon continue to poll with the Democratic candidate ahead by around 20 and 10 points, respectively.

It looks like the obvious is going to happen and the Merkely and Kitzhaber will continue on for another term.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

glowing-fish posted:

In an exciting piece of non news, the Senatorial and Gubernatorial races in Oregon continue to poll with the Democratic candidate ahead by around 20 and 10 points, respectively.

It looks like the obvious is going to happen and the Merkely and Kitzhaber will continue on for another term.

That's terrible and I wish Kitzhaber with his sport jacket, blue jeans and mustache would move on.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Ramsus posted:

That's terrible and I wish Kitzhaber with his sport jacket, blue jeans and mustache would move on.

This election is probably it for him, that said I don't expect much for Oregon Dems. Oregonians are so taxphobic as it is, it isn't a surprise how many state functions are completely under-served.

Seriously, the state and counties actually need actual mental health care not just warehousing people in odd rooms of a hospital.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Ramsus posted:

He is term limited unless he waits a term, anyway.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
His Republican opponent, Dennis Richardson, is some John McCain-lookin fucker who's a lawyer and a state rep outside of Medford. The gubernatorial debates should start next month. Considering the beating Kitzhaber's going to take over Cover Oregon, he's probably going to win. Remember, Chris Dudley only lost by a point and a half.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

anthonypants posted:

His Republican opponent, Dennis Richardson, is some John McCain-lookin fucker who's a lawyer and a state rep outside of Medford. The gubernatorial debates should start next month. Considering the beating Kitzhaber's going to take over Cover Oregon, he's probably going to win. Remember, Chris Dudley only lost by a point and a half.

Every poll I've seen has Kitzhaber ahead.

What I can't wait for is the Merkley/Wehby debates (if they happen...Wehby's campaign hasn't responded and I'm sure they are trying really hard to find some way out of doing them altogether).

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

anthonypants posted:

A Republican candidate is "probably" going to win in Oregon, for the first time since 1986?
The Cover Oregon debacle is probably going to be an issue, but I think most voters who aren't against the idea of government health care in the first place see it as a technical problem, not as a political issue.

Chris Dudley did well because it was a a) wave election b) he had name recognition without any political baggage and c) he was a Yale graduate who lived in Lake Oswego. He had some suburban appeal.

Suburban voters in Clackamas/Washington/Marion counties aren't going to vote for a conservative true believe, especially one from the Medford area.

I mean, there is a chance he could do really well in the debates and scrape out a victory, but I can't see how he will "probably" win.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

glowing-fish posted:

A Republican candidate is "probably" going to win in Oregon, for the first time since 1986?
The Cover Oregon debacle is probably going to be an issue, but I think most voters who aren't against the idea of government health care in the first place see it as a technical problem, not as a political issue.

Chris Dudley did well because it was a a) wave election b) he had name recognition without any political baggage and c) he was a Yale graduate who lived in Lake Oswego. He had some suburban appeal.

Suburban voters in Clackamas/Washington/Marion counties aren't going to vote for a conservative true believe, especially one from the Medford area.

I mean, there is a chance he could do really well in the debates and scrape out a victory, but I can't see how he will "probably" win.
Yeah. I don't have a lot of confidence in Kitzhaber.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

reignonyourparade posted:

I believe the News Tribune is somewhat better in that regard if you're willing to risk getting killed by your neighbors because TACOMA.

I lived in Tacoma for several years. The early 90s stereotype of Tacoma being a gang-haven with murders galore is highly exaggerated. In the past 10 years they've cleaned up downtown and the gang activity has dwindled. Portland Ave and South Tacoma Way are still a little sketchy, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

I lived in Tacoma for several years. The early 90s stereotype of Tacoma being a gang-haven with murders galore is highly exaggerated. In the past 10 years they've cleaned up downtown and the gang activity has dwindled. Portland Ave and South Tacoma Way are still a little sketchy, however.

And the smell is almost tolerable!

• Locked thread