Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BiggerBoat posted:

What's so controversial and dangerous about pointing out that shooting an unarmed kid 6 times, twice in the face is something we maybe shouldn't aspire to? I'd be happy to lose the vote of anyone who disagrees with that.

The controversial part is why the officer did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Well okay, but you're not gonna like how many votes that actually loses. I still have real trouble understanding how we elected Obama in the first place.
Minorities, women and younger voters. If only white men could vote Romney would have won.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 19, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

DoubleDonut posted:

I don't think anyone's refuting that. We're refuting the idea that talking about race at all would be some catastrophe that would immediately give complete control of the House, 60 seats of the Senate, and the Presidency to the GOP. We're also saying that even if it is politically bad for the Democratic party to talk about race, it is still necessary if any progress is to be made ever.

I think Democratic candidates could conceivably get more votes if they demonstrated the courage of their convictions and spoke up once in a while. Or at least enough votes from enough traditionally apathetic types to offset the soft racists they're worried about losing. Most Democratic voters I know wish the people they vote for would speak MORE, not less. And most apathetic voters I know are that way because no one speaks up. Most of my friends who voted for Obama are disappointed with him for being a huge pussy all of the time.

Obama won (twice) by speaking strongly to exactly these types of issues. He galvanized the base. The speech he gave on race after the Wright nonsense played out is a good example. Like others have said, he beat a war hero and the whitest whitey who ever whited. Rather convincingly I might add.

People are ready for it and want to hear it. What the gently caress does Obama have to be afraid of or even to lose at this point by appearing controversial? Jesus. At this stage of the game if he said he folded his toilet paper to wipe his rear end instead of crumpling, it'd be in the 24 hour news cycle with "Is Obama an Elitist?" headlines.

edit: double post

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 19, 2014

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

mdemone posted:

Well okay, but you're not gonna like how many votes that actually loses. I still have real trouble understanding how we elected Obama in the first place.

Bush was really, really, really bad. Bad enough that the backlash against him made it possible.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BiggerBoat posted:

I think Democratic candidates could conceivably get more votes if they demonstrated the courage of their convictions and spoke up once in a while. Or at least enough votes from enough traditionally apathetic types to offset the soft racists they're worried about losing. Most Democratic voters I know wish the people they vote for would speak MORE, not less. And most apathetic voters I know are that way because no one speaks up. Most of my friends who voted for Obama are disappointed with him for being a huge pussy all of the time.

Going by electorate statistics the only racial group that aren't significantly close to their population percentages are Hispanics (who have other issues). Black people actually represent about as much of the electorate as their percentage of the US population.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BiggerBoat posted:

People are ready for it and want to hear it. What the gently caress does Obama have to be afraid of or even to lose at this point by appearing controversial?

Are cowards ever really afraid of something in particular? I always thought it was a kind of generalized "please don't hurt me" thing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's John McCain doing the robot dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYY0rzrJ7Po

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

only once in the face the other headshot was to his crown

Sic semper tyrannisnigrum.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Joementum posted:

I've seen some whiteboy.avi, but that was the whiteboy.avi

That dude cannot dance at aaaallll

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Joementum posted:

He was not trying to do the robot dance
:smith:

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oracle posted:

Minorities, women and younger voters. If only white men could vote Romney would have won.

You could just put it down as whites. If 2012 would have had the demography of 1984, Obama loses a landslide. It's a large part of why the right has gone so nuts recently-- at least at the top end, they can see the birds coming home to roost from their decades of riding high on the racist Southern Strategy. With less and less white people, they need to somehow start getting substantial pieces of the rest of the pie, but can't due to how well they conditioned their base.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

his tremendous qualifications.

List these tremendous qualifications.

computer parts posted:

It takes the majority of the country to elect the President.

The president is not elected by majority vote. Please read up on how the electoral college works.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Guys, Rick Perry is going to be okay because the future Republican President is praying for him

My dream is for Perry and Christie to share a cell with Deal and whatever that Virginia governor's name is.

And then for the cell to catch fire.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Interesting pitch from Sean Eldridge, running in New York's 19th Congressional District: "I'm so filthy rich that the special interests can't buy me."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt5wo5yowuY

Also, perhaps the first political ad in the US from a male candidate where the candidate says "my husband".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Evil Fluffy posted:

The president is not elected by majority vote. Please read up on how the electoral college works.

Obama, the President of the United States, won the popular vote both times he was elected.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Here have an oped that will piss you off

I'm a cop. If you don't want to get hurt don't challenge me

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

rkajdi posted:

You could just put it down as whites. If 2012 would have had the demography of 1984, Obama loses a landslide. It's a large part of why the right has gone so nuts recently-- at least at the top end, they can see the birds coming home to roost from their decades of riding high on the racist Southern Strategy. With less and less white people, they need to somehow start getting substantial pieces of the rest of the pie, but can't due to how well they conditioned their base.

They've tried to get Asians and have successfully coded them as "the good minority" to most of their base, but they've been completely unsuccessful.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Actually what makes me think Obama actually does want to care about this is that he was rather snide during the questions yesterday.

Like he literally said "Back when I was a state senator and none of your could pronounce my name, I passed a lot of police reform bills".

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Evil Fluffy posted:

List these tremendous qualifications.
Didn't he used to be a constitutional law professor before he became president?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Joementum posted:

Interesting pitch from Sean Eldridge, running in New York's 19th Congressional District: "I'm so filthy rich that the special interests can't buy me."

Also, perhaps the first political ad in the US from a male candidate where the candidate says "my husband".
He's a venture capitalist and his husband was a founder of Facebook. So I guess his special interests would be the things that made him rich, and also the dreaded LGBT lobby.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Hey look LAPD cops are loving scum. ACAB

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

The controversial part is why the officer did it.

Elaborate.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Are cowards ever really afraid of something in particular? I always thought it was a kind of generalized "please don't hurt me" thing.

Joementum already pointed out (and so did I) that Obama gave big speech on race 6 years ago.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 19, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

JT Jag posted:

He's a venture capitalist and his husband was a founder of Facebook. So I guess his special interests would be the things that made him rich, and also the dreaded LGBT lobby.

Right. In the ad he says, "My husband, Chris, was one of the founders of Facebook, so I have the independence to reject special interest contributions." Plenty of candidates are wealthy, but I think it's novel for one to actually say (in a campaign ad!) that they're so wealthy that they can't be bought.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BiggerBoat posted:

Elaborate.

Specifically the controversy is "The officer shot this kid because he's a virulent racist and racism is still a problem in America" instead of "He shot this kid because he was an urban thug/a shoplifter/militarization of the police/etc."

You even see it here - the Michael Brown thread was obsessed with militarization of the police instead of "guy shooting a black guy because he was black".

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

computer parts posted:

Specifically the controversy is "The officer shot this kid because he's a virulent racist and racism is still a problem in America" instead of "He shot this kid because he was an urban thug/a shoplifter/militarization of the police/etc."

You even see it here - the Michael Brown thread was obsessed with militarization of the police instead of "guy shooting a black guy because he was black".

The militarization of the police has become an issue because of the response since the shooting. Darren Wilson wasn't rolling around in an MRAP with a 40mm grenade launcher and an M60 when he killed Michael Brown.

Also because white people are more comfortable talking about police militarization than they are talking about the fact that last year the Ferguson PD stopped ten times as many blacks as whites in a town that's 66% black. Or that, on average, American police forces killed a black man every 28 hours in 2013.

Basically white people loving hate talking about race because it threatens to weaken their hegemony on American politics and society.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

My point is that both of things are controversial. Also Obama doesn't have much to lose by speaking to it. He might have a bit to gain actually. You seem(ed) to be arguing the latter.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The boot-licky "I'm a white guy and I did what I was told even though the policeman was obviously on a power trip so I didn't get beat up; I don't see what the problem is" comments kinda piss me off more than the article itself.

Joementum posted:

Right. In the ad he says, "My husband, Chris, was one of the founders of Facebook, so I have the independence to reject special interest contributions." Plenty of candidates are wealthy, but I think it's novel for one to actually say (in a campaign ad!) that they're so wealthy that they can't be bought.

Frankly as a rich man I would assume the opposite and that his lust for wealth is insatiable and thus is more open to bribes and special interests than a regular person.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BiggerBoat posted:

My point is that both of things are controversial. Also Obama doesn't have much to lose by speaking to it. He might have a bit to gain actually. You seem(ed) to be arguing the latter.

One of them is controversial because it acknowledges what white people did, and one of them is controversial because it makes white people feel how black people feel around the police.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

BiggerBoat posted:

Joementum already pointed out (and so did I) that Obama gave big speech on race 6 years ago.

The one caution I would have with the comparison between the 2008 race speech and any similar effort by Obama today is that he made that speech in the 2008 campaign to appear less radical on racial issues. It was a tactic by the campaign to diffuse the release of the Jeremiah Wright "God drat America" tape. Were Obama to speak on the issue today, he would be speaking out against the status quo.

There's also the problem that anyone who thinks Obama should speak on this issue is going to inevitably be disappointed in Obama's speech on this issue.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Hughes also owns The New Republic, but more interesting is the couple's hilarious attempt at carpetbagging and mounting a serious campaign. I think it was Valleywag, who had some good coverage.

Hughes is one of the biggest walking cases of conflicts of interest in journalism, and my schadenfreude overfloweth.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

One of them is controversial because it acknowledges what white people did, and one of them is controversial because it makes white people feel how black people feel around the police.

OK then. I think it's controversial because shooting a robbery suspect who's surrendering six times seems a tad excessive. Even leaving race out of it, which I realize is impossible.

Thanks for clarifying though.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Obama could probably gain but he clearly believes that Democrats generally may lose.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

amanasleep posted:

Obama could probably gain but he clearly believes that Democrats generally may lose.

I'm starting to develop a genuine distaste for pragmatism.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

greatn posted:

They've tried to get Asians and have successfully coded them as "the good minority" to most of their base, but they've been completely unsuccessful.

Arabs/Middle Eastern people used to be one of the good ones... Until they all became terrorists on the eve of September 11th.

(the Republicans did it to themselves, apparently being alienating dickheads isn't a great way to expand your base)

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Joementum posted:

Were Obama to speak on the issue today, he would be speaking out against the status quo.

There's also the problem that anyone who thinks Obama should speak on this issue is going to inevitably be disappointed in Obama's speech on this issue.

That's because he would deliver a milquetoast speech that's setup from the get go not to offend anyone. If you inject the slightest bit of truth about racial inequality in america, you're going to offend someone. And that's fine.

quote:

This is an understatement.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Magres posted:

Also because white people are more comfortable talking about police militarization than they are talking about the fact that last year the Ferguson PD stopped ten times as many blacks as whites in a town that's 66% black.

I swear at some point I saw an infographic that was basically the same as the one about Ferguson's stop rates by race and contraband carried by race but nationwide instead. Anyone have that handy by any chance?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Seven years ahead of you, friend.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

That's because he would deliver a milquetoast speech that's setup from the get go not to offend anyone. If you inject the slightest bit of truth about racial inequality in america, you're going to offend someone. And that's fine.

Seriously this, anything other than "both sides are wrong" would have been welcomed. Probably not over-joyously but anything is better than pansy-Obama mode.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

BiggerBoat posted:

Bring back LF

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nelson Mandingo posted:

That's because he would deliver a milquetoast speech that's setup from the get go not to offend anyone.

Right. He's not going to stop being Barack Obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Phone posted:

Arabs/Middle Eastern people used to be one of the good ones... Until they all became terrorists on the eve of September 11th.

(the Republicans did it to themselves, apparently being alienating dickheads isn't a great way to expand your base)

It's funny to hear my Iranian-American girlfriend's parents talk about that, actually. They were hardcore Republicans up until 9/11, at which point the GOP promptly deemed them potential terrorists despite otherwise sharing Republican values. They jumped ship to the Democrats for the simple and sole reason that the Democrats don't think they're potential terrorists for emigrating from Iran to the US.

• Locked thread