Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Holy poo poo so many new posts. What's happened since 2am last night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

GlyphGryph posted:

Congrats guys we're doing exactly what the fuckers who released the video want us to do, arguing about the stupid video and Brown himself rather than the goddamn cop. Even I'm doing it. gently caress those fuckers.

There is nothing new to say about him, he should be arrested and indicted with murder charges for the death of an unarmed man.

Until this happens, the only discussion we really can have is about the current character assassination attempts on Brown, the militarized response of the police, and the ongoing protests.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

President Ark posted:

Have there been any major updates since last night, or have the last thousand posts in this thread just been typical D&D mind-numbingly stupid arguments over pedantry?

No major updates that I've seen while browsing through the thread. It's mostly TVIVing the live streams from last night where things turned out as you would expect plus some arguing about what we know or don't know regarding the alleged robbery.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
We are all being very, very boring.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

Mike Brown was only seconds away from putting the cop in an MMA style ground and pound!

He probably would have been arrested if he'd done so.

If he were white.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
Plus some new Avs for people arguing against the guys 'just asking questions'

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Captain Magic posted:

I think this is a couple of pages late, but: there is no divide between "I want the police to be held accountable for a homicide" and "I want the police to not have military-grade weapons" because both of these speak to a politically-stunted desire to change public policy that has no positive, reliable outlet to be heard in this country by anyone with less than a billion dollars to spend on a political campaign. You can't split the issue without hurting one aspect of it; you can't hurt one aspect with hurting all of it.

Yes, there is, and this is why the people of Ferguson are so upset because a bunch of non-black people are coming in and hijacking the narrative to make it about them. There is absolutely a huge difference between "I want the police to be held accountable for a homicide" and "I don't want the police to not have military-grade weapons" because one happens to black people and the other happens to white people. There has not been a spate of violent murder & abuse of unarmed white people by police this summer. There has been of black people. This is not related to police militarization, this has been going on for years and years. The militarization is new. It's scary. It's bad. But what it's being used to do is deprive people of civil liberties, not kill them and leave them dead in the street. That's not a result of militarization. That's the result of how police treat black people and how the rest of the country allows it. The issue of police militarization is an issue of civil liberties. The issue of police killing unarmed black people is literal homicide.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

In what world do people live in where no one says "took" in the context of items they bought and paid for?

Unless you're a lawyer for the case then it's pointless to say that "this word means that word in this context." If he'd meant stole, he would have said stolen. He didn't use that word, so all you're doing is putting words in his mouth.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Jarmak posted:

What are these Schrodinger's loving swishers? He either took them or he didn't, we have a process to determine whether we can prove whether a person committed sufficiently that we can justify punishing them. This system does not actually change the reality of whether a crime took place or not, nor does it act as some sort of mass mind control that prevents individuals from examining facts and deriving their own opinions.

You're kind of mad about something but I'm having the darndest time figuring out what. Are you saying that we should or shouldn't assume he is innocent until proven guilty, and that the evidence provided--by the police, who are persons of interest with a clear CONFLICT of interest in this case--is not substantial either way. Since we have people looking at the video and coming away with differing conclusions, we require further evidence to prove guilt or innocence.

That is what you're saying, right?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Spacman posted:

Plus some new Avs for people arguing against the guys 'just asking questions'

You should take a look at some of the other threads by other users at the something awful dot com forums

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

"I won't hurt you if you just do what I say STOP RESISTING"

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

BottledBodhisvata posted:

"I won't hurt you if you just do what I say STOP RESISTING"

"Why you oppressing yourself?! Why are you oppressing yourself?!"

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

bassguitarhero posted:

Unless you're a lawyer for the case then it's pointless to say that "this word means that word in this context." If he'd meant stole, he would have said stolen. He didn't use that word, so all you're doing is putting words in his mouth.

That's what I'm saying. I regularly say stuff like "I took my poo poo and left" about items I paid for, saying took is obviously a synonym for stole is dumb.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

bassguitarhero posted:

You don't get it because the issue with militarization isn't shooting white people dead in the street for jaywalking.

No, just for running out of buildings after having been stabbed.

That's because white people weren't as easily painted as "the enemy". I get that it's racist, I'm not saying that it's not, but if you don't think it's a result of Confederate Veterans waging a war against people they blamed for their loss of the civil war, you're seriously mistaken.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Andrea Mitchell just talked to the reporter that was arrested yesterday and that's pretty much what he was charged with!

code:
The offence is talking back to a Judge
The sentence, 1 month iso-cubes

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
It doesn't matter if he "took" a baby's head off at the convenience store: the officer knew nothing about the incident when stopping Brown.

Further, the police department's own narrative doesn't make logical sense. We are supposed to believe that after asking them to get off of the street:
  • Brown pushed the officer into his car and a struggle for the officer's sidearm ensued
  • The officer's gun discharged in the car
  • After being shot at and running more than thirty-five feet away from the initial altercation, Brown turns around and charges at the officer with his head down like the Juggernaut
  • After charging the officer, Brown is brought down by six shots, thirty-five feet from the officer's vehicle, including one which entered the top of his head.

Yeah. Seems perfectly plausible to me.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bassguitarhero posted:

Yes, there is, and this is why the people of Ferguson are so upset because a bunch of non-black people are coming in and hijacking the narrative to make it about them. There is absolutely a huge difference between "I want the police to be held accountable for a homicide" and "I don't want the police to not have military-grade weapons" because one happens to black people and the other happens to white people. There has not been a spate of violent murder & abuse of unarmed white people by police this summer. There has been of black people. This is not related to police militarization, this has been going on for years and years. The militarization is new. It's scary. It's bad. But what it's being used to do is deprive people of civil liberties, not kill them and leave them dead in the street. That's not a result of militarization. That's the result of how police treat black people and how the rest of the country allows it. The issue of police militarization is an issue of civil liberties. The issue of police killing unarmed black people is literal homicide.

Yes, yes, and yes. But I would posit that militarization is a newly-diagnosed symptom of the disease, and cops killing black people is a different, earlier-appearing symptom of the same disease, which is that the state has the right to do what it wants to whichever people it deems dangerous.

We brought you here against your will, raped and destroyed your culture, then painted a bullseye on you and shot you dead for nothing more than target practice, and we're just now realizing that nobody is going to stop us from doing it to whoever we want. (Yes, I'm including myself as complicit in the rise of the white fascist state.)

God drat America, indeed.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The best way to react to the CCTV video is to ask why there isn't a video of Wilson's encounter with Brown.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

bassguitarhero posted:

They're the same issue because they have the same solution which is being stunted samely by the same people.

Militarization of police is nothing new. It's been happening for the entire thirty-plus years of the war on drugs. It got ramped up with the war on terror. People don't pay attention because both of these things affect non-whites most of the time, as you said. But you can't solve racism with policy. You can use policy to solve bad training practices, us vs. them mentalities, and the stripping down of the fourth amendment.

It's the same issue because we can't enact any new policies because the politicians haven't left much room for people to operate for peaceful change in this country.

Protesters don't want people in the system to "fix" things; they want a new system entirely populated by entirely new people. Now--which "side" is that statement referring to?

(It is both. The issue is the same.)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MariusLecter posted:

Andrea Mitchell just talked to the reporter that was arrested yesterday and that's pretty much what he was charged with!

code:
The offence is talking back to a Judge
The sentence, 1 month iso-cubes

To clarify, guy was across the street from the press pen, officer told him to move there, he asked if the area was open to the public and the officer said it was so he said he'd keep rolling tape.

ARREST THIS MAN!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I've been seeing people on social media talking about how this kind of incident HAPPENS TO WHITE PEOPLE TOO!!!, in particular wrt a 20 year old white kid named Dillon Taylor being gunned down last week. So, uh, how does one respond? Cursory reading suggests that Dillon Taylor had a felony arrest warrant out on him and a history of criminal activity, so that's something.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Maybe the protesters need to try and set this up as a 2nd amendment rally. No one seems to like to step on that one.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://twitter.com/AntonioFrench/status/501748522996482048

One of those white "revolutionary communist" guys from Chicago in one of the initial pictures of "molotov cockctails", I think it's originally from Wednesday or Thursday.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

my bony fealty posted:

I've been seeing people on social media talking about how this kind of incident HAPPENS TO WHITE PEOPLE TOO!!!, in particular wrt a 20 year old white kid named Dillon Taylor being gunned down last week. So, uh, how does one respond? Cursory reading suggests that Dillon Taylor had a felony arrest warrant out on him and a history of criminal activity, so that's something.

Well you see, Michael brown had just committed a strong armed robbery, was probably hopped up on PCP, and was tossing the officer around like a rag doll. Probably lifted his car up like in that Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story movie too.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

McDowell posted:

The best way to react to the CCTV video is to ask why there isn't a video of Wilson's encounter with Brown.

IIRC, didn't the cops confiscate CCTV footage of the shooting and they haven't released it yet because ~reasons~

I could have sworn I read that last week before everything went (further) to poo poo but so much has happened I might be misremembering things.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

my bony fealty posted:

Maybe you should ask them how they feel about the fact that police are brutalizing everyone, across race and class boundaries.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
It's seems fairly clear to me that the whole "charging" at the office was probably Brown just jerking and turning around too quickly, literally sparking a south park style "he's comin right for us!" moment.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

A Winner is Jew posted:

IIRC, didn't the cops confiscate CCTV footage of the shooting and they haven't released it yet because ~reasons~

I could have sworn I read that last week before everything went (further) to poo poo but so much has happened I might be misremembering things.

If there was any, it has most certainly been confiscated. I've not heard any reports of them taking witness' phones or anything though.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

A Winner is Jew posted:

If it was at all incriminating to the cop it's ashes in a dumpster.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

fknlo posted:

Maybe the protesters need to try and set this up as a 2nd amendment rally. No one seems to like to step on that one.

man nothing would panic the government/white people more than a bajillion black people doing a Second Ammendment rally

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

If it was at all incriminating to the cop it's ashes in a dumpster.

"The video was inconclusive and has since been misplaced."

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

mdemone posted:

Maybe you should ask them how they feel about the fact that police are brutalizing everyone, across race and class boundaries.

That's exactly the point taken, that it's not a 'racial issue' and it's wrong to single out incidents involving innocent blacks slaughtered by the new Gestapo because BULLETS DON'T SEE RACE or whatever. Which runs counter to the narrative that I see in articles like this:

http://www.salon.com/2014/08/19/americas_new_racial_low_point_more_crying_black_mothers_and_tear_gas_on_our_dreams/

or in this thread.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

fknlo posted:

So many people would die

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
In the private business world, if a company employee screwed up so horribly that they made national news for the harm they caused, their employer would fire them, cut them off from support, and offer full cooperation to authorities in legal action against them. This is what happened to my predecessor at my current job. You figure that if this was the department's response to the cop who shot Brown, none of this escalation would have happened.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

IMJack posted:

In the private business world, if a company employee screwed up so horribly that they made national news for the harm they caused, their employer would fire them, cut them off from support, and offer full cooperation to authorities in legal action against them. This is what happened to my predecessor at my current job. You figure that if this was the department's response to the cop who shot Brown, none of this escalation would have happened.

Thanks detective obvious

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Privatize the police!!!

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

my bony fealty posted:

That's exactly the point taken, that it's not a 'racial issue' and it's wrong to single out incidents involving innocent blacks slaughtered by the new Gestapo because BULLETS DON'T SEE RACE or whatever. Which runs counter to the narrative that I see in articles like this:

http://www.salon.com/2014/08/19/americas_new_racial_low_point_more_crying_black_mothers_and_tear_gas_on_our_dreams/

or in this thread.

It's true, bullets don't see race. Bullets don't see anything. Nihilism 2016.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Advocating conspiracy theories makes you look like loving truthers.
You can call me a truther if you want. But given the story that is already in the public domain about the guy who had the poo poo beat out of him, was charged with property damage for bleeding on officers, then only had those charges revoked when the officers denied he bled under oath in depositions for his civil rights suit, and given the incredibly squirrelly and evasive way the PD has handled everything about this incident, from the half-rear end release in conjunction with the officer's name to the muddied waters about whether he knew about it at the beginning of the stop, heard it on dispatch halfway, or ever, I'm skeptical of everything.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

who the gently caress hasn't robbed a convenience store at some point

it is not a big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

my bony fealty posted:

or in this thread.

It shouldn't be so hard to acknowledge that while, yes, this is a policing issue that can affect anyone, it disproportionately affects the black population. Don't get me wrong, I understand that this is very hard for a large number of people - it just shouldn't be.

• Locked thread