Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

freebooter posted:

Funny how lots of people who are ostensibly left-wing and open-minded will go full-on UKIP as soon as an outsider dares criticise anything about the UK.

Na, UKIP hate you because you're foreign. We hate you because you're a dickhead.

Rev nailed it though, you spend more and get worse results. Why exactly should we take up the Aussie system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

As for what people spend it on, well, essentially you're saying money itself is problematic because people can spend it on things, which is true, but unless we want the government controlling every single purchase people make then the solution is probably more robust social care, not imposing draconian controls on people's spending habits.

The only bad thing you can do with money economically speaking is bury it in the Cayman Islands.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

freebooter posted:

I did register for a doctor when I first moved here. Then I moved house.
I went back to that doctor on Monday anyway, at 8am, to get one of those same day appointments. She prescribed me medication which made the problem worse overnight. Not blaming her for that, medicine is obviously complex, but it meant the next day I needed to see a doc again rather than to continue using it.
Except I woke up past 8am. So no same-day doctor's appointments for me.
On the way to the walk-in centre I stopped by my new closer GP and registered there, as I'd been told I would need to do, and today was the first "registration day" I'd been available. I don't know why they need a special day for you to hand in forms and have your ID photocopied.
At the walk-in clinic they told me they wouldn't be able to treat my issue (as I said, I know what it is and that it can be fixed in 10 minutes by a nurse). They told me to call my GP.
I called my new clinic. They said they can't do anything until my paperwork clears in 2-5 business days.
I called my old clinic. They offered me an appointment next week with a nurse. I wasn't bitching about seeing a nurse instead of a doctor, I was pointing out that I only need to see a nurse, not a doctor, which I would have thought would be a lot easier than seeing a doctor.
I did go to A&E and then left because I felt guilty about all the signs saying it's for saving lives, not smaller issues, even though the line of people going out the door didn't exactly look like like they were bleeding to death.

I know! I know. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to see a GP more easily?

Give up mate, they've already decided you're a bourgeois pig who hates poor people. You'll get no interesting comments now. For what it's worth I see your point but unless you're espousing the complete nationalisation of UK plc in this thread you'll get very little slack. I lived in Aus and the healthcare system is very good and actually performs better than the NHS in some areas.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

freebooter posted:

£70 =/= £15

Nor is it the '£300' you were quoting earlier. So either pay up so you don't have to spend time rubbing shoulders with the poors, shut up, or gently caress off back to oz.

mfcrocker posted:

Na, UKIP hate you because you're foreign. We hate you because you're a dickhead.

Truth.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Given your own discomfort with how crowded A&E was and your stated desire to pay a little bit extra to get away from the less well off do you think you might be projecting a bit in that regard?

Suggesting major reforms to a well liked and effective institution because one interaction with it didn't work perfectly for you tends to be met with hostility. Also given that even Labor in Australia has a much more xenophobic immigration policy than UKIP your comment is somewhat ironic.

I'm not trying to "get away" from the less well-off, I'm suggesting that the more well-off can afford to spend slightly more to lift the strain on the system.

I earn 20,000 a year. I'm not Warren Buffet. But I can absolutely afford to spend more than $0 on my healthcare, and in fairness, I should. As others have pointed out, I do, by tax, but that's the case in Australia as well.

You know I'm not really suggesting major reforms, I'm having a whinge and comparing the NHS to my country's system because I had a lovely day. If was going to suggest a single reform it would be that people shouldn't have to register at GPs. As far as I can tell they only do it so they have some control over people skipping appointments, but it seems like they do that anyway.

Oh and Labour doesn't hate immigrants, just refugees, and only those that come by boats. Really fascinating 15-year ideological issue, could write a thesis on it.

mfcrocker posted:

Rev nailed it though, you spend more and get worse results. Why exactly should we take up the Aussie system?

Apart from that fact that life expectancy is determined by far more than how much is spent on healthcare (off the top of my head, Australia is more obese than the UK and certainly has a higher sun-related cancer rate), those figures are six years out of date - as of 2012 Australia and the UK had the same life expectancy.

But I don't know why I posted that because I don't want to get drawn into a nationalistic dick-comparing contest. There are lots and lots of things I like about the UK, which the UK does better than Australia, and I'm going to keep living here for now even if I prefer Australia's healthcare system.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Tbh I thought it was an overreaction too, but I think people were reading classism from your posts.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

freebooter posted:

Apart from that fact that life expectancy is determined by far more than how much is spent on healthcare (off the top of my head, Australia is more obese than the UK and certainly has a higher sun-related cancer rate), those figures are six years out of date - as of 2012 Australia and the UK had the same life expectancy.

Sure, except the WHO ranks the NHS above the Australian system as well.

I don't really care about nationalistic dickwaving either, it's just that you are proposing a system that is judged to be strictly a) worse and b) more expensive.

E: It appears to be from "The Commonwealth Fund" actually, but is built on WHO and OECD data. It's also the story told in the last WHO ratings I can find.

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 19, 2014

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I'd always assumed registering at a GP is so they have your medical records.

I think a lot of people are defensive of the NHS because it is under attack a lot lately and losing it would be a tragedy. Hope you feel better soon.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

I'm not trying to "get away" from the less well-off, I'm suggesting that the more well-off can afford to spend slightly more to lift the strain on the system.

They already do, it's called "taxation".

(Also if a nurse can treat your condition I'd have thought a pharmacist could to so you could have popped into a Boots to get it sorted)

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Fair enough. I am only comparing GP stuff, I have limited experience with the public hospital system in Australia, and at the end of the day hospitals are more important than GPs.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I'd always assumed registering at a GP is so they have your medical records.

You can't get an appointment unless you're registered? I thought? That's what they've been telling me, anyway. Which effectively limits you to one GP.

I've actually been to a few which have signs saying "if you miss 3 appointments you will be deregistered," which begs the question, what are you meant to do then? Move house?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They already do, it's called "taxation".

(Also if a nurse can treat your condition I'd have thought a pharmacist could to so you could have popped into a Boots to get it sorted)

Nah, it's a procedure. I assume it can go wrong, because the walk-in nurse said they legally can't do it, only a GP clinic nurse can.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

freebooter posted:

off the top of my head, Australia is more obese than the UK

How dare you.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

freebooter posted:

Dramatically altering how the NHS is funded and altering who has access to what for free is a huge reform.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

freebooter posted:

I earn 20,000 a year. I'm not Warren Buffet. But I can absolutely afford to spend more than $0 on my healthcare, and in fairness, I should. As others have pointed out, I do, by tax, but that's the case in Australia as well.

You know I'm not really suggesting major reforms, I'm having a whinge and comparing the NHS to my country's system because I had a lovely day. If was going to suggest a single reform it would be that people shouldn't have to register at GPs. As far as I can tell they only do it so they have some control over people skipping appointments, but it seems like they do that anyway.

Maybe you don't realise it, but you are suggesting major reforms - the entire basis of the NHS is that it's publicly funded and free at the point of use (with a couple of exceptions like dental care), and that it meets the needs of everyone equally, no matter what their circumstances. Even if you're not advocating a two-tier system where people who can afford it get to express lane past everyone else, you're introducing a funding system where some people explicitly pay more than others at the point of use.

It's dangerous because it allows poor and vulnerable people to be seen as a drain on the NHS, which is a political lever that can be used to move towards that two (or more)-tier system, pushing of the funding burden onto the patient and justifying 'more choice in how they spend their money', i.e. privatisation and the dismantling of the public system. Which is why everyone's bristling at the idea, it's not the first time it's been floated

Plus it discourages people from getting things checked out, because of fear and guilt, or shame ('oh you don't have to pay then?'), or because they are meant to pay and they don't feel they can afford it. That hurts preventative care and leads to wider and costlier problems - the NHS has been repeatedly found to be the most efficient healthcare system in the world, y'know? The problem is not lack of funding by individuals

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

I still don't understand the story, I've been in exactly the same situation, miles away from the GP I was registered to, and I still got seen at the drop in centre.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Plus it discourages people from getting things checked out, because of fear and guilt, or shame ('oh you don't have to pay then?'), or because they are meant to pay and they don't feel they can afford it.
This is a big point because I know a couple of Australians in this exact situation, they don't go to see a doctor anymore even when they're really ill because they can't afford it.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Yeah, these sorts of reforms are already being proposed.

Private Eye No. 1372, 'Medicine Balls' posted:

Is giving patients with chronic diseases their own health budgets to buy the care they need a good idea? It's certainly got Simon Stevens, NHS England's new chief executive, excited.

Personal budgets for social care have been around for some years, and Simon believes "north of 5m patients" will have a combined personal health and social care budget by 2018. £5bn will be taken out of the NHS pot and handed directly to patients. What could possibly go wrong?

Very few politicians will dare argue against such a grand scheme to "trust the people", and if the people decide to buy all their healthcare from private providers rather than the NHS, it'll be the cleverest Trojan horse to get private providers a slice of the NHS cake yet invented. That makes it even less likely that many in either House will kick up a fuss. Around 200 honourable members in the Lords and Commons voted through the Health and Social Care Act knowing the private health companies they have an interest in could benefit. None had the ethics or insight to abstain.

[continues for a few paragraphs]

Universal healthcare is being replaced by a market system on a very personal level, with no evidence base. There will be winners and losers, and you either opt for a budget or stick with an NHS that's £5bn poorer. Say yes, and 200 happy peers and MPs will be after your business.

'M.D.'

The reason you're getting all these hostile responses is because, perhaps accidentally, you're touching on the ongoing process of NHS privatisation which this thread is mostly rather livid about.

This is the current issue of Private Eye, incidentally. I'd quote the whole thing but not only is it quite long but I'm typing it.

Obliterati fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 19, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Private health care hurts people. Seriously. If everyone, poor and rich alike had to use the NHS you can guarantee it would be loving excellent. If the Prime Minister and the Queen had to go to NHS hospitals you can guarantee that they would be the best hospitals in the world, bar none.

Paying for stuff like private rooms or whatever may seem like a harmless bonus but all it really does is go towards a tiered system where money can get you better service, rather than what the NHS should be about which is great service for all.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
Segregating the poor into a system for their own good is not the point of the NHS. A tier made specifically for the poor would soon become seen in just the same light as JSA and other benefits, or council housing- immoral, disgusting, poor quality and not worth keeping. If you are still confused, please read the first page of the first leaflet concerning the NHS, which specifically mentions that it is not restricted to the poor, and it is not a charity.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/The_New_National_Health_Service_Leaflet_1948.pdf

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Same deal with Social housing, unfortunately. It was supposed to be that: Social housing, for everyone, instead it became a byword for 'poor' where real people get onto the property ladder because of reasons.

So now we're in a situation where private property is being propped up at all costs and any more social housing isn't being built because it may interfere with the real property.

Car Stranger
Feb 16, 2005

freebooter posted:

I was under the impression that this happens via National Insurance.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
freebooter if you're still reading, I know this is not a lot of help now, but...

If, once you're registered, there's ever a situation where you need something done by the practice nurse urgently, but there isn't any space, ask them to give you a letter to take to the local hospital. Lots of practices don't have a nurse, so there's usually a walk-in clinc at local hospitals for the kinds of (non-diagnosis) services they provide, like taking blood or helping with dressings. You will need a letter from your GP because they'll want to check up on you or book you back in later if it's a scheduling problem etc.

GPs are lovely, but you really don't want them to be doing these kinds of things anyway. Your nurse will do these kinds of things very, very regularly, whereas your GP might only get to jab someone once or twice a year. Your toe, dick, bum or pilonidal cyst will thank you the next day.

Also, don't forget that your GP will have an out of hours line too and they can fax prescriptions to places like the supermarket (if your pharmacy's not open) or help speed up triage in A&E and arrange transport if it's a bit more serious.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Car Stranger posted:

I was under the impression that this happens via National Insurance.

Yeah but it's not as progressive a tax as income:

- if you earn more than £153 a week and up to £805 a week, you pay 12% of the amount you earn between £153 and £805

- if you earn more than £805 a week, you also pay 2% of all your earnings over £805

This is almost a flat tax since it just goes from 12% to 14%

edit: but nonetheless, I'm sure they make up any shortfalls through income tax which itself is progressive.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 19, 2014

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

freebooter posted:

I earn 20,000 a year. I'm not Warren Buffet. But I can absolutely afford to spend more than $0 on my healthcare, and in fairness, I should. As others have pointed out, I do

well glad that's cleared up then

ps gently caress whoever pointed out the cheaper availability of flucloxacillin on the last page. i had to take that a few months back and now resent the price of not-quite-one-pint wasted.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Obliterati posted:

Very few politicians will dare argue against such a grand scheme to "trust the people", and if the people decide to buy all their healthcare from private providers rather than the NHS, it'll be the cleverest Trojan horse to get private providers a slice of the NHS cake yet invented.

Am I missing something with this? This is how privatisation of services like healthcare usually works, give people 'choice' and 'options' and the ability to spend 'their money', then wealthy business interests use the usual techniques (including running at a loss for a while so they're cheaper) to capture the market. It's less a clever Trojan horse and more of a :killdozer:

Let's not forget the head of NHS England, the guy actually chosen to lead the NHS with his 'international experience', was at the top level of UnitedHealth Group - owner of the largest private healthcare company in the U.S. His 'international experience' is in working against universal public healthcare

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
I say ban all private healthcare for non cosmetic procedures, and then we'll see the NHS polished to a beautiful gleam.

Same with loving public schools.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Rolled Cabbage posted:

freebooter if you're still reading, I know this is not a lot of help now, but...

If, once you're registered, there's ever a situation where you need something done by the practice nurse urgently, but there isn't any space, ask them to give you a letter to take to the local hospital. Lots of practices don't have a nurse, so there's usually a walk-in clinc at local hospitals for the kinds of (non-diagnosis) services they provide, like taking blood or helping with dressings. You will need a letter from your GP because they'll want to check up on you or book you back in later if it's a scheduling problem etc.

GPs are lovely, but you really don't want them to be doing these kinds of things anyway. Your nurse will do these kinds of things very, very regularly, whereas your GP might only get to jab someone once or twice a year. Your toe, dick, bum or pilonidal cyst will thank you the next day.

Also, don't forget that your GP will have an out of hours line too and they can fax prescriptions to places like the supermarket (if your pharmacy's not open) or help speed up triage in A&E and arrange transport if it's a bit more serious.

Thanks, this is good to know.

Ddraig posted:

Private health care hurts people. Seriously. If everyone, poor and rich alike had to use the NHS you can guarantee it would be loving excellent. If the Prime Minister and the Queen had to go to NHS hospitals you can guarantee that they would be the best hospitals in the world, bar none.

I would actually 1000 times be in favour of this over what I've been saying. If only.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I've always wanted to say that MPs and such should be banned from havibg private health cover. Though how, a full on ban for all private healthcare is even better.

The ammount of people getting rich off the NHS carve up is loving horrible. :(

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

baka kaba posted:

Am I missing something with this? This is how privatisation of services like healthcare usually works, give people 'choice' and 'options' and the ability to spend 'their money', then wealthy business interests use the usual techniques (including running at a loss for a while so they're cheaper) to capture the market. It's less a clever Trojan horse and more of a :killdozer:

Let's not forget the head of NHS England, the guy actually chosen to lead the NHS with his 'international experience', was at the top level of UnitedHealth Group - owner of the largest private healthcare company in the U.S. His 'international experience' is in working against universal public healthcare

I don't think you are; remember though that the Eye's readership has a very large small-c conservative contingent who are generally unaware that this stuff is happening unless they really pay attention to columns like this one. Some folks need it made clear to them if they're not familiar with the usual pattern of privatisation.

It's most likely a reference to the fact that this example isn't so much allowing private companies to do their thing as it is a direct withdrawal of NHS funds to give to outfits that are, in many cases, heavily invested in (mostly after the last election) by parliamentarians. The NHS is literally being forced to subsidise both its own destruction and the retirement homes of corrupt politicians.

Obliterati fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 19, 2014

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Bozza posted:

I say ban all private healthcare, and then we'll see the NHS polished to a beautiful gleam.

Allow the NHS to charge Cost + 50% for so-called elective surgery, the 50% profit goes to the general NHS funding.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah I see what you mean about the readership - it's just the same kind of thing as say school vouchers where you're effectively taking some funding and saying 'well... you can have this if people want you to...' knowing full well that some people absolutely won't be going with the the public system anymore (if they even were in the first place), and other people can be won over with promises and glossy marketing. I guess I was giving the readers a bit too much credit maybe!

But yeah, this needs bringing up at every opportunity, especially the Lords' involvement. I'm not sure it will matter though, there's a serious hatchet job going on with the NHS's reputation, it feels like a lot of people would go private if they had the opportunity.

Also, what's the deal with the health lottery and postcode lottery? Seems a bit weird to name them both after negative things. "They're playing Russian Roulette, why aren't you!"

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

SybilVimes posted:

Allow the NHS to charge Cost + 50% for so-called elective surgery, the 50% profit goes to the general NHS funding.

Er you need to be a bit more careful about saying that for elective procedures, elective doesn't mean unnecessary it just means non-urgent.

Edit: Oh hey I can see the new newbie avatars, farewell babyfaces.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

The NHS charge is very expensive. Generic drugs are far cheaper in US, of all places.

So cheap people buy them online from Canada.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

baka kaba posted:

Yeah I see what you mean about the readership - it's just the same kind of thing as say school vouchers where you're effectively taking some funding and saying 'well... you can have this if people want you to...' knowing full well that some people absolutely won't be going with the the public system anymore (if they even were in the first place), and other people can be won over with promises and glossy marketing. I guess I was giving the readers a bit too much credit maybe!

But yeah, this needs bringing up at every opportunity, especially the Lords' involvement. I'm not sure it will matter though, there's a serious hatchet job going on with the NHS's reputation, it feels like a lot of people would go private if they had the opportunity.

Also, what's the deal with the health lottery and postcode lottery? Seems a bit weird to name them both after negative things. "They're playing Russian Roulette, why aren't you!"

The great thing about the Eye is that even though it's run by a bunch of Tory-voting public schoolboys it's unparallelled in its coverage of UK corruption. Pretty much the only real journalists left who aren't internet-based. I've said it in this thread several times but really, it's good; it's usually on a corruption story six months before anyone else (not that the Eye is ever credited as a source). It is impossible to be a regular Eye reader and believe the government is honest at any level, and said corruption is one of the few issues you can unite pretty much everyone on.

There are also cartoons.

Re: the Health Lottery, the gimmick is that a percentage of profits are supposed to be donated to health causes. However, to no-one's surprise - it's owned by Richard Desmond after all and is regularly plugged in the Express with no acknowledgement of the conflict of interest - it gives substantially less to charity than the National Lottery does, the difference being sucked up as profit, and it also refuses to pay duty on the proceeds in the same way the real Lottery does (for legal purposes it's not actually a lottery and thus exempt from the National Lottery Act 1993). Camelot took them to court but it got thrown out, quelle surprise.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

El Scotch posted:

So cheap people buy them online from Canada.

That's for brand name drugs which the NHS and insurers go out of their way to not cover because they are stupidly expensive.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Obliterati posted:

The great thing about the Eye is that even though it's run by a bunch of Tory-voting public schoolboys it's unparallelled in its coverage of UK corruption. Pretty much the only real journalists left who aren't internet-based. I've said it in this thread several times but really, it's good; it's usually on a corruption story six months before anyone else (not that the Eye is ever credited as a source). It is impossible to be a regular Eye reader and believe the government is honest at any level, and said corruption is one of the few issues you can unite pretty much everyone on.

It should also be noted that whilst they hammer on about government corruption and incompetence it generally doesn't lead to the conclusion that what is needed is less government and more private enterprise.

They also hammer on about corruption, back stabbing and back scratching in all kinds of other spheres. In The City is generally as worthwhile a read as Rotten Boroughs.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Obliterati posted:

Re: the Health Lottery, the gimmick is that a percentage of profits are supposed to be donated to health causes. However, to no-one's surprise - it's owned by Richard Desmond after all and is regularly plugged in the Express with no acknowledgement of the conflict of interest - it gives substantially less to charity than the National Lottery does, the difference being sucked up as profit, and it also refuses to pay duty on the proceeds in the same way the real Lottery does (for legal purposes it's not actually a lottery and thus exempt from the National Lottery Act 1993). Camelot took them to court but it got thrown out, quelle surprise.

Oh nice. Ironic naming then. I was wondering how it was even allowed to run, but I guess that explains that! Cheers for the sources too

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
OK, I'm almost starting to feel sorry for the Lib Dems now.

Almost, but not quite. :getin:

quote:

The so-called Hackney Heroine has accused the Liberal Democrat party of “underhand racism” and of holding “Neanderthal views on diversity”, as she announced her decision not to run as Party President.

In a video released on Facebook explaining why she is dropping her campaign, Pauline Pearce, also known as Lady P, said the party “wasn’t quite what I thought it was when it comes to diversities”.

Ms Pearce gained fame in 2011 when she was filmed shouting at rioters who had looted and destroyed local businesses in her area. Her expletive-filled rant was watched on YouTube over one million times and saw her become a figurehead for community issues after the unrest.

The footage launched her political career and in March she announced her intention to run as President for the Lib Dems. However, Ms Pearce claims she has been “ridiculed” over her past criminal conviction for smuggling cocaine in 1999, “patronised” by members of Nick Clegg's party and dismissed as not experienced enough.

Ms Pearce said: “I’ve been ridiculed for my past as an ex-convict, something that I was very open about from the day I was discovered in the media as the lady who ranted in the riots in 2011.

“Since running for president I’ve realised this party isn’t what I thought when it comes to diversities and being inclusive.

“People out there feel that they are diverse and feel that they are not at all racist, but it’s what I would call 'underhand racism', where you feel that people are not quite able to step up to the mark in chairing meetings."

However, Ms Pearce said she will remain as a member of the party and will now focus her efforts and community activism.

Her decision to quit the race has been met with dismay on Facebook, with one describing her standing in the election as “like a breath of fresh air”.

Another wrote: "A big loss to the Presidential Election. One of the reasons I rejoined the Party was the chance to vote for you. I hope you will continue to work for change both within the Party and wider communities."

The party said it is “saddened” to hear that Ms Pearce will no longer be standing.

A spokesperson for the Lib Dems said: "We are upset that Pauline feels she has been subjected to discrimination and prejudice, as this behaviour is the opposite of the values of equality and respect we embrace and pride ourselves on as a party.

"We urge Pauline to report what she has experienced and will look at her concerns as a matter of urgency."

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Munin posted:

It should also be noted that whilst they hammer on about government corruption and incompetence it generally doesn't lead to the conclusion that what is needed is less government and more private enterprise.

They also hammer on about corruption, back stabbing and back scratching in all kinds of other spheres. In The City is generally as worthwhile a read as Rotten Boroughs.

Absolutely true: they're post-war conservatives, not neoliberals. There's also Street of Shame, which takes apart mainstream newspapers and individual journalists (turns out a lot of them are writing articles plugging relatives' businesses and writing flattering articles about shareholders - by no means any better in the broadsheets than the tabloids). They also take a pretty aggressive line on unpaid internships in the media.

baka kaba posted:

Oh nice. Ironic naming then. I was wondering how it was even allowed to run, but I guess that explains that! Cheers for the sources too

No worries. Amusingly enough, I know Private Eye did a bunch of stuff on this: they're just terrible at internet, paywall aside, and it's a lot easier to Google than it is to dig through the pile of back issues. They hate Desmond with a passion: he's often referred to as 'the pornographer' (they also enjoy winding up Paul Dacre and Alan Rusbridger).

Basically the Health Lottery is literally bad for the health of the country. Camelot are no saints but they're a drat sight better than anything with Desmond's paws on it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Irregardless of who runs Private Eye and their beliefs, it's also rather excellent in that it allows journalists who are stuck working for lovely rags and who want to do proper news to source stories that don't fit the paper's line.

I believe Private Eye gets a lot of its material from journalists working on other papers who would never be allowed to print what they've found in their 'main job'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

They also have the Paul Foot Award which does a good job highlighting any actual journalism that does go on in the mainstream press.

Also, as Obliterati said The Private Eye as an enterprise indeed has no feel at all for the digital space in general though. Their column on the advertising world has only barely managed to acknowledge that digital advertising exist these days for example. Not to mention their previous relentless poopooing of anything multimedia and any attempt of publications moving into the digital space.

• Locked thread