Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
klf11
Aug 17, 2014

ColHannibal posted:

Gott wipe out your world and player data if you do nightly.

I just want a stable build so I can play multiplayer again. :saddowns:

that did the trick, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Supernorn posted:

It would be pretty hilarious if that was even remotely true and you weren't just pulling numbers out of your arse, yes.

Seriously? You work in Canary Wharf, a part of London where rentals regularly are £300 a week at minimum and even higher if you don't want to live in a shitheap. London rental prices are pretty much public knowledge there bub, and it's not like people are actually getting paid salary, which your own job postings show:

quote:

Hi,
We're Chucklefish games, the developers of Starbound and publishers of various other indie titles.
We're currently hiring on a rev share basis for our new office in London.

Hell, Chucklefish's job postings were deemed skeevy as hell by reddit of all places.

quote:

I don't usually criticize the people who are hiring but I feel there is a lot of crucial information missing here.
Are employees expected to move to your office in London ? Will they have to live off their savings until you complete your project (since rev share)?
Since it's revshare, what sort of project do you plan as your next one? I wouldn't expect potential employees to just trust that you come up with a hit idea, especially if their only earnings are rev share.
I know you're a reputable guy (I know your development history and I've dealt with you before) but your job offer does not reflect this.

quote:

A rev share position from an established company like you? Looks like you should hire me for the employee finding job you seem to have filled with someone who knows not how to actually hire someone who will make a product consistent with what a multimillion dollar company should.

quote:

I almost feel insulted that I'm being asked (by a successful company no less) to move to london for what may very well be an extended period of no pay, perhaps this ad would be better at a local level?

quote:

Hang on, is that even legal? Revshare works for new teams because everyone's a founder, but you're an established company with multi-million-pound annual cash flow[1](http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/7/5282796/starbound-hits-more-than-one-million-copies-sold) and you're asking people to come and work in your offices without pay? Don't the minimum wage laws apply here?

quote:

Wanted: Talented developers to work for successful developer that has just sold a million copies of its hit game.
Job description: Help us keep the promises that allowed us to sell the initial million copies of game.
Pay rate: We cut you a tiny share of the future profits until we don't need you any more.
What happens if they decide you're no longer a "good fit" after you fixed what they needed you to? This is similar to their request for someone to redesign the logo for 4 copies of Starbound. Or their post to nominate mods for inclusion into the game. I'm optimistic about the future of Starbound, but I wonder about a company that operates like Chucklefish. Is this how successful Indie devs do business?

But hey, keep thinking you lucked into a gem of a developer.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 19, 2014

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Starbound is cool

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Party Plane Jones posted:

it's not like people are actually getting paid salary, which your own job postings show:

You do know that's for that pirate game, right, and not Starbound

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Kyrosiris posted:

You do know that's for that pirate game, right, and not Starbound

I don't know what's worse, the lack of actual salary for a position where you have to go into an office, or the implication that that 'pirate game' is probably the second project he's pulled this poo poo on. Makes you wonder why they had a "kickstarter" (not actually on kickstarter so they didn't have to pay a percentage?) in the first place.
Also makes you wonder why there's a separate soundtrack entry for Starbound when literally every song is available in the game already for free. Did they not pay the music guy and that's how he's getting paid?

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 19, 2014

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Seriously? You work in Canary Wharf, a part of London where rentals regularly are £300 a week at minimum and even higher if you don't want to live in a shitheap. London rental prices are pretty much public knowledge there bub, and it's not like people are actually getting paid salary, which your own job postings show:

Hell, Chucklefish's job postings were deemed skeevy as hell by reddit of all places.

But hey, keep thinking you lucked into a gem of a developer.

Hi this is the Starbound: the game thread.( No pithy comments about it not actually a game yet, we know it is taking its sweet time). Perhaps you wish to create a Chucklefish criticism thread so we can actually stop derailing this one?

May I suggest the Starbound General on 4chan's /vg/, as it is constantly updated and recreated moments after an old thread maxes out. Those are the true Chucklefish connoisseurs. Perhaps it will be the kind of circle-jerk you are looking for, as opposed to this circle-jerk where we actually talk about the game.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Multi million pound annual cash flow, lol. reddit posters are sillier than goons

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

can you stop telling them to go back to 4chan or reddit or whatever? Games Goons are no better than /v/ or r/gaming so quit pretending like we're some sort of special breed of Gamer above the sweaty and huddled masses

they're being pretty stupid and trying to start poo poo with weak excuses (mostly, some criticism has been legit) but you're acting like spoiled children

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

God this thread has gone to poo poo. Maybe we should close it and pretend that Starbound doesn't exist til it's done.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So uh, that matter manipulator thing looks cool.

Nice to see they're looking at making it more useful, hopefully it can replace some of the pickaxe usage.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Babe Magnet posted:

can you stop telling them to go back to 4chan or reddit or whatever? Games Goons are no better than /v/ or r/gaming so quit pretending like we're some sort of special breed of Gamer above the sweaty and huddled masses

they're being pretty stupid and trying to start poo poo with weak excuses (mostly, some criticism has been legit) but you're acting like spoiled children

I didn't tell them to go back to 4chan. And if by 'special' you mean 'wants to actually talk about the loving game' and not 'accusations of fraud and other made up poo poo' then yes, we're the specialest of all the snowflakes.

That's not to say the criticism isn't valid, but it's not really accomplishing anything in this thread.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Starbound is good

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Babe Magnet posted:

Starbound is good

It really isn't. It will be some day but it is not finished yet!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I liked it when I played it on release. Hopefully I'll like it more when there's more stuff in it!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Remember the good old days, when the biggest controversies were over the poo poo monsters?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Don't sign your posts

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 19, 2014

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Back off ye plebs, a poo poo miester comes forth. *gracefully motions to himself*

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Again, let's talk about the game and not embarass ourselves by talking about or making wild assumptions about things we don't understand.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Also makes you wonder why there's a separate soundtrack entry for Starbound when literally every song is available in the game already for free. Did they not pay the music guy and that's how he's getting paid?

You say this as if 1/3 of the games on Steam don't also sell their soundtrack as a separate download, both indy games and major titles. But hey, let's fling as much as poo poo as possible in the hope that some of it sticks.

I'm still excited about the future of this game, but they really need to work on a new stable release. For people that aren't checking the site, this game has been out for 9 months and it hasn't been updated in 6 months. As far as they're concerned, it's another early access game that took the money and ran. Releasing a giant new patch with rebalanced progression and combat, one or two new tiers of gear, and the outposts/stores/etc. would go a long way to mitigate that. They do need to take out the loving stupid new ore progression though, because all it does is artificially pad out the playtime of the early game while frustrating the player.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Supernorn posted:

Again, let's talk about the game and not embarass ourselves by talking about or making wild assumptions about things we don't understand.

Then why are you posting.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Gotta be honest, I'm finding the detractors way more likable than Chucklefish employees. They're entertaining at least.

Also there's not much to talk about because there isn't much to do at the moment. Not anything that doesn't require too much time to be worth it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Haha, they moved to London and they're STILL offering certain people rev share only? Yeesh.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Afraid of Audio posted:

Then why are you posting.

I'm gonna hang around for those that aren't just eager to lay down the fastest 'sick burn' when I call people out. Sorry that you fall into the latter here.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Supernorn posted:

I'm gonna hang around for those that aren't just eager to lay down the fastest 'sick burn' when I call people out. Sorry that you fall into the latter here.

Keep us more updated than your game, thanks.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Supernorn please stop.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Supernorn posted:

HMM YES BECAUSE THATS THE PERFECT THING TO DO.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I'd like credit for inspiring Chucklefish with my posts about the Matter Manipulator. I'm like an idea modder. And I want credit for my idea mod that was put in the game.

No, but really. Sweet poo poo with the news about the matter manipulator. I'm all jazzed about that. Now.... on to the next item...

When are the butt-bots being added in?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Rotten Cookies posted:

All on the loving table now, CF. Add buttbots.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Literally Kermit posted:

All on the loving table now, CF. Add buttbots.

Ugh, no.
Buttbots are really loving dumb and really detract to the immersion of what is supposed to be a serious game. I mean come on, we have po, horse tits, cum guns. We dont need ANY more of this poo poo!

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

Rrussom posted:

Ugh, no.
Buttbots are really loving dumb and really detract to the immersion of what is supposed to be a serious game. I mean come on, we have po, horse tits, cum guns. We dont need ANY more of this poo poo!

but where does the poo come from?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Colosmicon posted:

The tithorse, duh?

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Colosmicon posted:

Your posts.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Rotten Cookies posted:

I'd like credit for inspiring Chucklefish with my posts about the Matter Manipulator. I'm like an idea modder. And I want credit for my idea mod that was put in the game.

No, but really. Sweet poo poo with the news about the matter manipulator. I'm all jazzed about that. Now.... on to the next item...

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/buttbot-ss13-inspired.1124/

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
Just talked to Bartwe, he said he is glad to be, once again, part of the team.
I asked him what he was working on right now, and he said he has begun coding in spaceship battles between players.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

http://playstarbound.com/august-18th-more-manipulation/

So there you have it, a mod that takes 5 minutes to write and 10 minutes to play test. You don't even need to play test it, you're in alpha and you have a nightly build. Put it in the nightly build and adjust it based on feedback for a couple days until it "Fits". This feature totally isnt a year late. I can't understand how their workflow works? Feed the Starbound community little tidbits of old requests until our new early access pirate game is ready to kickstart + continuing early access donation sell on our webstore?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Rrussom posted:

I asked him what he was working on right now, and he said he has begun coding in spaceship battles between players.

loving hell yes. Please, please, please be like FTL. Wait. Can PvE space battles take place in the game, too?

Oh, I meant when are they going to be vanilla? as far as I know, butts are chocolate only.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 19, 2014

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rrussom posted:

Oh hey, I didn't know Bartwe was coming back! That's great to hear, he's a dogged coder to say the least.
The Matter Manipulator stuff all looks great, the area size increase is the biggest thing for me. Though I still think mining speed should adjust to mining size: setting your high powered 4x4 pick/MM to mine 1x1 should make it go much faster.

Cheswick
Sep 7, 2005

Rrussom posted:

blatant misinformation

Rotten Cookies posted:

getting trolled

Vib Rib posted:

getting trolled

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I start to understand how so many people can easily believe any old fake bullshit made up about CF

• Locked thread