Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

BiggerBoat posted:

This is from a few pages back, but from the sound of this, you used to be in a militia or white supremacist group? Yes? Can you start an A/T thread or something because that sounds interesting.

I was raised in what can only be described as a Conservative Evangelical cult. This cult also handled my education k-8th grade. Although not explicitly white supremacist, the curriculum was distinctly racist, and designed to appeal to racists in the wake of forced school integration. I was never part of any militia or white supremacist group, but I did know a number of militia types and have certainly sat around the campfire listening to them discuss which building they would take over first in the event of a collapse of society, how they would neutralize the police, whom they would be willing to protect and whom they would leave to fend for themselves. This was when I was a kid in the late 80's up all through the 90's. These people often told me (and my peers at that age) that we would face a civil war when we became adults that would be a prelude to the rapture. At the time they had plenty of guns and were actively thinking things through. As these people were Right Wingers terrified of the Government under Reagan, I can only assume they must be mere inches away from full RAHOWA by this point.

As far as my Conspiracy theorist days, yeah I was a hardcore CT for about six years before finally cracking and getting treatment/medication. (Diagnosed Schizophrenic) I was never part of any formal group, but did show up to a few local truther meetings/saw David Icke in Cleveland/participated in message boards, that sort of thing. I've heard how they talk to each other but I've never been in any insider circles of such groups. All I can really say is that they exist and they were pretty drat extreme even back in 2009 when they expected Obama to further his NWO agenda and take our guns.

I've been working on throwing up a thread about my school/cult experiences but frankly it usually triggers me after I dig too deep into it. I've got a 3/4's written OP that's been a side project for months now. Maybe today I'll finally manage to finish it.

Edit: Added a photo of my actual curriculum to demonstrate what I mean by Conservative Evangelical Cult. This was part of what would have been a history workbook in a regular school.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Joementum posted:

Right. He's not going to stop being Barack Obama.

More like, President Barack Obama. Senator Barack Obama wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty every now and then. Honestly the "We tortured some folks" surprised the hell out of me because it was the slightest bit controversial.

Edit: Wow Prester John that really is an interesting topic. I hope you decide to share it with us one day.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 19, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I swear at some point I saw an infographic that was basically the same as the one about Ferguson's stop rates by race and contraband carried by race but nationwide instead. Anyone have that handy by any chance?

Doing a little googling doesn't turn anything up, but I found random poo poo for NYC, SF, and Oakland:

http://www.nyclu.org/content/stop-and-frisk-data

NYC is about 10% Asian, 45 White, 25% Black, 25% Hispanic (of any race), and 16% "Other Races" (no the numbers don't add up to 100%, I know this, wikipedia's numbers don't add up to 100% either.

Stop and Frisk data has their stop and frisk numbers at 56% Black, 29% Latino, and 11% White.

So about 8 times as likely to get stopped if you're black than white.

SF and Oakland:

SF is better than most of the country but you're still twice as likely to get stopped in a traffic stop if you're Black than if you're White. Interestingly, Asians are half as likely to get stopped as Whites.

Oakland is not good, about 4-5 times as likely to get stopped if you're black compared to white. Interesting again, Asians again very under represented in stops.

Prester John posted:

I was raised in what can only be described as a Conservative Evangelical cult. This cult also handled my education k-8th grade. Although not explicitly white supremacist, the curriculum was distinctly racist, and designed to appeal to racists in the wake of forced school integration. I was never part of any militia or white supremacist group, but I did know a number of militia types and have certainly sat around the campfire listening to them discuss which building they would take over first in the event of a collapse of society, how they would neutralize the police, whom they would be willing to protect and whom they would leave to fend for themselves. This was when I was a kid in the late 80's up all through the 90's. These people often told me (and my peers at that age) that we would face a civil war when we became adults that would be a prelude to the rapture. At the time they had plenty of guns and were actively thinking things through. As these people were Right Wingers terrified of the Government under Reagan, I can only assume they must be mere inches away from full RAHOWA by this point.

As far as my Conspiracy theorist days, yeah I was a hardcore CT for about six years before finally cracking and getting treatment/medication. (Diagnosed Schizophrenic) I was never part of any formal group, but did show up to a few local truther meetings/saw David Icke in Cleveland/participated in message boards, that sort of thing. I've heard how they talk to each other but I've never been in any insider circles of such groups. All I can really say is that they exist and they were pretty drat extreme even back in 2009 when they expected Obama to further his NWO agenda and take our guns.

I've been working on throwing up a thread about my school/cult experiences but frankly it usually triggers me after I dig too deep into it. I've got a 3/4's written OP that's been a side project for months now. Maybe today I'll finally manage to finish it.

Edit: Added a photo of my actual curriculum to demonstrate what I mean by Conservative Evangelical Cult. This was part of what would have been a history workbook in a regular school.

Glad to hear you're doing better man :buddy:

If talking about it is painful don't feel the need to put yourself through hell for Goons' sake. If you think it'll help in the long run then heck yeah I'd love to hear about this stuff, but if you think it'll do you any harm then it's not worth it yo

Magres fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 19, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

It's funny to hear my Iranian-American girlfriend's parents talk about that, actually. They were hardcore Republicans up until 9/11, at which point the GOP promptly deemed them potential terrorists despite otherwise sharing Republican values. They jumped ship to the Democrats for the simple and sole reason that the Democrats don't think they're potential terrorists for emigrating from Iran to the US.

Were they not in the US for 1979 because good god the anti-Iranian student stuff that went on back then was pretty appalling.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Prester John posted:

I was raised to be crazy

Well, don't do anything you don't want to do or that gets you feeling edgy and uncomfortable or otherwise experiencing flashbacks. If/when you feel up to it, it sounds like it'd be a cool read. Thanks for the reply and carry on.

Hope you're doing OK.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I swear at some point I saw an infographic that was basically the same as the one about Ferguson's stop rates by race and contraband carried by race but nationwide instead. Anyone have that handy by any chance?

Oh hey I managed to find what I think was part of it.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Since the Department of Justice is conducting an ongoing investigation, that'd also limit what Obama says on the matter. If the last six years have shown us anything, it's that the right wing would jump at any excuse to claim that the Obama administration is using the DOJ for political purposes. This is doubly true for the Civil Rights Division which enforces the civil rights acts, the voting rights acts and laws against police misconduct. It's pretty much everything they hate in a tidy package, so I'm fine with Obama not saying anything if it gives them more room to do their thing.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

They literally do that everytime Holder sneezes, stop excusing his inaction because he might offended racists. Saying something and pissing them off would only make them 'do their thing' louder and more obviously which hurt them even more.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Raskolnikov38 posted:

They literally do that everytime Holder sneezes

Some do, some don't.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

It's funny to hear my Iranian-American girlfriend's parents talk about that, actually. They were hardcore Republicans up until 9/11, at which point the GOP promptly deemed them potential terrorists despite otherwise sharing Republican values. They jumped ship to the Democrats for the simple and sole reason that the Democrats don't think they're potential terrorists for emigrating from Iran to the US.

Tom Clancy's Executive Orders had a subplot about a Iranian that immigrated with his parents to America when he was barely a teenager and managed to work his way up through the Secret Service, to being on the President's personal security detail.

Only he was actually an extremely deep cover sleeper that would assassinate the President upon received a coded message from his handler, a rug merchant.

And this was a book that was published in 1996. And to think I read all those books; being a dumb impressionable teenager was weird.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Tom Clancy's Executive Orders had a subplot about a Iranian that immigrated with his parents to America when he was barely a teenager and managed to work his way up through the Secret Service, to being on the President's personal security detail.

Only he was actually an extremely deep cover sleeper that would assassinate the President upon received a coded message from his handler, a rug merchant.

And this was a book that was published in 1996. And to think I read all those books; being a dumb impressionable teenager was weird.

I hope the assassination method was playing a pipe and having a cobra come out of a basket to bite the president.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
David Plouffe challenges Messina for the title of the biggest comms shill from the Obama campaign:

NYT posted:

Uber wants your vote of support. And it has hired a campaign manager to win you over.

Uber, the fast-growing private car start-up, announced on Tuesday it had hired the political strategist David Plouffe to be its senior vice president of policy and strategy. The move further signaled the grand aspirations of companies like Uber, which are challenging entrenched industries and running into resistance from some local governments.

Ain't the post-administration hustle grand.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

computer parts posted:

The controversial part is why the officer did it.

The fact that he was shot six times in the front suggests the officer did it because the kid was rushing him.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

computer parts posted:

Some do, some don't.

Do you read the political cartoon thread. Holder will be out of the news for weeks and we still get at least one cartoon a week about him being a 'race hustler'.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Do you read the political cartoon thread. Holder will be out of the news for weeks and we still get at least one cartoon a week about him being a 'race hustler'.

If Obama really starts talking about race more people than the usual suspects will be uncomfortable.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Amergin posted:

The fact that he was shot six times in the front suggests the officer did it because the kid was rushing him.

I know this is a schtick, but please just don't do this with the Michael Brown shooting. The thread on the shooting is like half 'just askin questions' racism and trollbait. It's exhausting to read, and it doesn't need to infect other threads.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

computer parts posted:

If Obama really starts talking about race more people than the usual suspects will be uncomfortable.

And I don't give a poo poo, let the racist fucks be 'uncomfortable,' them being comfortable isn't helping anything.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Raskolnikov38 posted:

And I don't give a poo poo, let the racist fucks be 'uncomfortable,' them being comfortable isn't helping anything.

You don't get that I'm not just talking about conservatives.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"First they came for the racists and I didn't say anything, for I knew that eventually the racists would convince them to come for another group."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Amergin posted:

(American) police training is for officers to, I don't want to explicitly say empty their clips, but essentially to shoot far in excess of what laypersons might consider necessary because of the realities of accuracy and tort law particulars, so Mike Brown would have been shot multiple times regardless of the situation, as long as the officer had decided to shoot at all.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

computer parts posted:

You don't get that I'm not just talking about conservatives.

No, I do.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

No, you honestly don't.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Because I don't accept the premise that talking about race honestly will doom the democrats to lose the senate to the point that the republicans can override a veto.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Wouldn't the Republicans have to win basically every single seat that's up for re-election to get a veto proof majority?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

So you want him to talk about race in this particular instance and never again, or do you want him to continue talking about it?

What do you think will happen if and when he does so going through the rest of his presidency?

The issue of race is not a Red/Blue distinction, and it's not even an old/young distinction. People aren't going to say "hey those guys are acting like Klansman, that's not cool". They're going to say "hey Obama is calling me a racist for being white, that's not fair!"

That's not going to end the way you think it will.

Magres posted:

Wouldn't the Republicans have to win basically every single seat that's up for re-election to get a veto proof majority?

They wouldn't have a veto proof majority even if every 2014 seat went to them, but I'm assuming he wants this to be a long standing discussion.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ufarn posted:

David Plouffe challenges Messina for the title of the biggest comms shill from the Obama campaign:

Countdown until the RNC's petition of support for Uber mysteriously vanishes :rice:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ufarn posted:

It offends me so much that the only people who have the power to change the revolving door of lobbying, are the people who directly benefit from it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Were they not in the US for 1979 because good god the anti-Iranian student stuff that went on back then was pretty appalling.

They were not, they came over in the early 90s. They both agree that they felt conservative America was actually pretty welcoming and understanding (they were Iranian Christians) until the GOP turned on them on 9/11. These days their biggest complaint about the government is that Obama has been so ineffectual when they voted for him on the promise of genuine change.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

computer parts posted:

So you want him to talk about race in this particular instance and never again, or do you want him to continue talking about it?

What do you think will happen if and when he does so going through the rest of his presidency?

The issue of race is not a Red/Blue distinction, and it's not even an old/young distinction. People aren't going to say "hey those guys are acting like Klansman, that's not cool". They're going to say "hey Obama is calling me a racist for being white, that's not fair!"

That's not going to end the way you think it will.

I'd settle for him talking about it when there are moments of great racial strife, ie right now. Could you go into why you think this would be a disaster? Because I'm honestly not seeing how the 2014 election would go completely tits up if he did, especially now that the primaries are over.

quote:

They wouldn't have a veto proof majority even if every 2014 seat went to them, but I'm assuming he wants this to be a long standing discussion.

They actually would if they win everything but two senate seats, maybe three.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
computer parts, please explain how this ever stops being a problem if no one is ever willing to talk about it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I'd settle for him talking about it when there are moments of great racial strife, ie right now. Could you go into why you think this would be a disaster? Because I'm honestly not seeing how the 2014 election would go completely tits up if he did, especially now that the primaries are over.

Because the attack ads write themselves. "[Candidate] supports Obama, who said all of your struggles and hard work was stolen from black people! Do you really want someone in office who supports pulling out the race card?" etc and so forth.

It actually would probably do less damage in a midterm election because it's already a pretty good chance that the Democrats lose anyway.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DoubleDonut posted:

computer parts, please explain how this ever stops being a problem if no one is ever willing to talk about it.

Of course it should be talked about. It's just ironic that a black man initiating the conversation is the worst possible person to do so.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Countdown until the RNC's petition of support for Uber mysteriously vanishes :rice:
Not since corporate-tax legislation have I seen as big a rhetoric loophole as "innovative companies like Uber".

I guess the Luntz horseman was too busy in Israel to nextify their Job Creators 2.0.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

quote:

It is also a terrible calumny; cops are not murderers. No officer goes out in the field wishing to shoot anyone, armed or unarmed.

This is such a bizarre thing to say, because it can't possibly be true. The history of police corruption is huge. Cops have been convicted of murder. Like, I realize this is a rhetorical device, but to rhetorically set aside the idea of corrupt and criminal cops, as a former member of the LAPD, in the midst of the controversies of the Ferguson police department, is so bizarre.

No one is saying the average American police officer is shooting unarmed men for no reason. It's clearly a problem, and happening way way too often, but the whole argument is about the heinous behavior of individuals acting outside of the norms of proper policing, and how the policies of specific police departments facilitates that. Why would you make an article entirely focused on generalized, proper policing as a reply?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I feel like the Supreme Court has had just as much impact on racially related policy as the executive branch recently, if not more. Obama's got his bully pulpit going for him but frankly it's done a lot less than we've hoped with respect to other issues, so why should race be any different?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

Of course it should be talked about. It's just ironic that a black man initiating the conversation is the worst possible person to do so.

He's the best person to do so. He's the loving President. And, yes, I get the irony.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

computer parts posted:

Specifically the controversy is "The officer shot this kid because he's a virulent racist and racism is still a problem in America" instead of "He shot this kid because he was an urban thug/a shoplifter/militarization of the police/etc."

You even see it here - the Michael Brown thread was obsessed with militarization of the police instead of "guy shooting a black guy because he was black".

I'm not saying I disagree, but these two issues aren't mutually exclusive. I think they reinforce one another.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

computer parts posted:

Because the attack ads write themselves. "[Candidate] supports Obama, who said all of your struggles and hard work was stolen from black people! Do you really want someone in office who supports pulling out the race card?" etc and so forth.

It actually would probably do less damage in a midterm election because it's already a pretty good chance that the Democrats lose anyway.

So if its not going to be that damaging in 2014 and given that A. Only the reanimated corpse of Ronald Reagan is going to get the GOP the presidency in 2016 and B. No one in 2016 is going to care what the outgoing president said two years ago, why care about attack ads?

also this:

BiggerBoat posted:

He's the best person to do so. He's the loving President. And, yes, I get the irony.

StandardVC10 posted:

I feel like the Supreme Court has had just as much impact on racially related policy as the executive branch recently, if not more. Obama's got his bully pulpit going for him but frankly it's done a lot less than we've hoped with respect to other issues, so why should race be any different?

I'm curious as to what he's actually used the bully pulpit on. The only thing coming to mind is Obamacare and since then its been milquetoast speeches followed by being dragged around by others on policy.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Periodiko posted:

This is such a bizarre thing to say, because it can't possibly be true. The history of police corruption is huge. Cops have been convicted of murder. Like, I realize this is a rhetorical device, but to rhetorically set aside the idea of corrupt and criminal cops, as a former member of the LAPD, in the midst of the controversies of the Ferguson police department, is so bizarre.

No one is saying the average American police officer is shooting unarmed men for no reason. It's clearly a problem, and happening way way too often, but the whole argument is about the heinous behavior of individuals acting outside of the norms of proper policing, and how the policies of specific police departments facilitates that. Why would you make an article entirely focused on generalized, proper policing as a reply?

He later on in the article says:

Po-Po posted:

I know it is scary for people to be stopped by cops. I also understand the anger and frustration if people believe they have been stopped unjustly or without a reason. I am aware that corrupt and bully cops exist. When it comes to police misconduct, I side with the ACLU: Having worked as an internal affairs investigator, I know that some officers engage in unprofessional and arrogant behavior; sometimes they behave like criminals themselves. I also believe every cop should use a body camera to record interactions with the community at all times. Every police car should have a video recorder... And you don’t have to submit to an illegal stop or search. You can refuse consent to search your car or home if there’s no warrant... Always ask the officer whether you are under detention or are free to leave...
But if you believe (or know) that the cop stopping you is violating your rights or is acting like a bully, I guarantee that the situation will not become easier if you show your anger and resentment. Worse, initiating a physical confrontation is a sure recipe for getting hurt.

So he's admitting there are bad apples in police forces and that they should be forced to wear cameras. The point of the article is to say "Don't act like a belligerent rear end in a top hat to an armed person and then be surprised when you get your rear end beat/shot." It should be common sense, especially if you're a minority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

How is "You know...um...it might be a good thing if police didn't...uhh...you know...shoot unarmed American citizens in the face and head. Be they black or white. Red or Green. Yellow or Orange. It has no place in a civcilized society. Moving forward, maybe we should...uh...you know...not do that as much"

How does that "write attack ads" that equate to "your success was built on the backs of black people"?

What you posted has nothing to do with what a lot of us would like the President to say about it. And none of us have offered as much. It wouldn't matter what much what he said anyway but the idea of "don't scare off soft racists because we'll lose elections" continues to strike me s profoundly retarded, even as I continue reading your posts.

• Locked thread