Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I do not see how Historie is going to get anywhere before the author dies. The rate of release is nowhere keeping pace with how long the story they appear to be attempting to tell is, unless the author uses judicious time skips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Eiba posted:

Using real world knowledge leads to contradictory dates. The real Thorfinn Karlsefni went to Vinland in 1010. That's before Sven Forkbeard was proclaimed King of England.

I guess there's a lot of differences between history's Thorfinn and ours, so it may just be his life that's different, but I wouldn't take too much stock in dates in any case. Yukimura can do what he wants with history, for the sake of the story.

Well, lets say I doubt we'll be seeing Thorfinn getting involved with local politics. This is the last highwater mark for Byzantium, from here it's all downhill aside from the brief turnaround provided Alexius and the other Komenos rulers it's right into the abyss. The only thing going on during Basil II's reign at this timeframe is the Bulgarians. The Turks show up after he dies.

Really makes you wonder why there is never any movies and comics about the time period starting with The Battle of Manzikert -> 4th Crusade. That period is loving intense with a lot of big names. Bohemond is largely forgotten to history these days. There is so much backstabbing and politicking that it makes Game of Thrones look like a kids playground.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 8, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Zorak posted:

I do not see how Historie is going to get anywhere before the author dies. The rate of release is nowhere keeping pace with how long the story they appear to be attempting to tell is, unless the author uses judicious time skips.
It's a huge bummer too, since pound for pound it really is (at least to me) the best historical manga out there, at least when you read it in a full speedy run chapter by chapter without waiting. Once you catch up, you hit Berserk-level waiting but worse because unlike the beautiful Berserk spreads painstakingly drawn between dating sim games or whatever that dude does you get these sketchy chapters so few and far between that at least in my case I could barely remember a lot of characters or at least where the story was in the general momentum of the arc. Historie becomes a sketchy blur.
But that's why rereading it is really fun, I've been rediscovering it, it went in a lot of crazy awesome directions early on that I'd totally forgotten about (like a rampaging Scythian using a small girl as a human shield against archers)!

And what blows my mind is: we're not even at the coolest parts of the historical story! I'm not even talking about the glory of Alexander, the Wars of the Diadochi are a Games of Thrones-style epic except way better and with less rape (wait, nevermind, maybe...an equal amount. Depends on if you think Arrhidaeus can give consent!).
The thought of how awesome Historie is so early in Eumenes of Cardia's biography and epic tale makes for pretty promising thoughts, can you imagine how great a well-done adaptation of the saga of Alexander's successors would be? (I recommend everyone who hasn't go read Mary Renault's Alexander the Great trilogy: Fire from Heaven, The Persian Boy, and Funeral Games)

I'd be willing to combine Kentaro Miura and Hitoshi Iwaaki, sacrificing one of their ongoing series to make sure the other one actually gets finished before they die!

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
New Kingdom. Is utter badass-dom the norm now? I've been wanting to see Kyou Kai's power-up in use against average dudes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

pentyne posted:

Of course it was balanced by people drinking mercury, bleeding a sick person of multiple pints of blood, and smearing feces into open wounds.
TRADTIONAL MEDICINE!

Holy poo poo, people did this? I knew about the other things, but I had no idea what smearing feces onto wounds was once considered helpful. I mean, before germ theory people at least associated "miasma" with sickness, and recognized said "miasma" as emanating from sewers and the like.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ytlaya posted:

Holy poo poo, people did this? I knew about the other things, but I had no idea what smearing feces onto wounds was once considered helpful. I mean, before germ theory people at least associated "miasma" with sickness, and recognized said "miasma" as emanating from sewers and the like.

Not a hundred years ago a significant number of learned, otherwise incredibly intelligent human beings legitimately thought that sticking a rod into someone's brain and swishing it around like you were beating an egg yolk was a legitimate medical technique. A few hundred years from now people are gonna look back at us right this moment and marvel at how stupid and barbaric we were.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Electroshock therapy is still pretty recent.

Hopefully cancer and aids won't be lethal in the far future :smith:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
They'll probably think things like "What?! Chemotherapy?? You mean you just load someone up with toxic chemicals and hope the cancer goes away?! What the hell, 21st century Barbarians?? :psyduck:"

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

They'll probably think things like "What?! Chemotherapy?? You mean you just load someone up with toxic chemicals and hope the cancer goes away?! What the hell, 21st century Barbarians?? :psyduck:"

It works though, even if the method is basically "poison yourself but poison the undesirable bits harder" (my understanding of chemotherapy is limited). Packing poo poo into wounds seems completely counterproductive.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I legit have never once heard of people stuffing feces into wounds as a medical thing. Urine on the other hand I have heard of being used for stuff. Catullus of face loving fame has a poem about some guy using urine to whiten his teeth.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Dentistry is still in the god drat stone ages.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Dentistry is still in the god drat stone ages.

Did not Shakespeare say, if a tooth offends you, pluck it out?

New Otoyomegatari, :nws: yet again for nudie gals and sticky juices :q:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
goddamnit get those huge tittays out of the way they're blocking the gorgeous backgrounds and embroidery

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Pierson posted:

goddamnit get those huge tittays out of the way they're blocking the gorgeous backgrounds and embroidery

Yeah I mean at this point I have to think that the artist is giving her poor hands a vacation.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What is Shirin's hair, exactly? Is it a beaver's tail or an eggplant? :confused:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Watermelons. What manga is this again?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Rodyle posted:

:3: Fat fluffy cats that don't give a poo poo are the best.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mo_Steel posted:

That cat was actually looking for some attention from her but she's only thinking about the big tits. Otoyomebathari has been pretty weird lately.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

To be fair this is the same series in which one of the first chapters was just a boy watching an old man make a door. It's always been weird.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Mo_Steel posted:

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Eiba posted:

On an unrelated note... Gudrid's story is unbearably sad. Her sitting on a rock looking at Lief's map in the sand was really good. I like the idea of being so inspired by some lines in the sand, with only the barest inkling of what their true implication was. It must have felt like learning astronomy today- understanding the numbers just enough to get a slight impression of how incredibly massive our universe is, and how tiny our world is. To snap from that to... marital politics, so utterly petty, but horrifyingly life-consuming, was... quite the transition. And no one around her cares in the slightest.

Forget stowing away, she drat well better end up invited on Thorfinn's expedition, by people who understand and care about what she's going on about, because it's pretty god drat depressing now.

History spoiler: Gudrid, in addition to trying to settle Vinland, eventually went on a pilgrimage to Rome after converting to Christianity after Thorfinn's death. It softens the transition knowing that, even if Yukimura's story diverges from real history.

Rodyle posted:

It's pretty obvious that the watermelons are a metaphor for lesbian sex. Anis and Shirin are obviously attracted to each other, but they can't express it explicitly because they probably have no idea that what they're feeling even constitutes attraction.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gyre posted:

It's pretty obvious that the watermelons are a metaphor for lesbian sex. Anis and Shirin are obviously attracted to each other, but they can't express it explicitly because they probably have no idea that what they're feeling even constitutes attraction.
Oh the metaphor was not subtle in any fashion, it just feels like it's from a different series.

CrackedWindow
May 25, 2013
Is it just me or is Shirin a really uninteresting character?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I find every character in this arc pretty boring to be honest. Feels like a bland shojo series.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

caberham posted:

Hopefully cancer and aids won't be lethal in the far future :smith:

AIDS is already becoming less lethal. If you have access to medicine you can apparently live more or less indefinitely with it now (though the problem is that the majority of people with it don't have access to or can't afford said medication).

Cancer on the other hand probably won't be cured for an extremely long time, if that. Even once personalized medicine takes off, cancer cells within a single tumor can different genetically, making it sometimes nearly impossible to treat. There probably won't ever be a single medication that can be used to treat it.

While we'll look back on current medicine as being worse, I don't think we'll ever look at it as the same way we did medicine a couple hundred years ago. We approach things scientifically now, and something that is more effective than placebo now is still going to be more effective than placebo 100 years from now.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ytlaya posted:

AIDS is already becoming less lethal. If you have access to medicine you can apparently live more or less indefinitely with it now (though the problem is that the majority of people with it don't have access to or can't afford said medication).

Cancer on the other hand probably won't be cured for an extremely long time, if that. Even once personalized medicine takes off, cancer cells within a single tumor can different genetically, making it sometimes nearly impossible to treat. There probably won't ever be a single medication that can be used to treat it.

While we'll look back on current medicine as being worse, I don't think we'll ever look at it as the same way we did medicine a couple hundred years ago. We approach things scientifically now, and something that is more effective than placebo now is still going to be more effective than placebo 100 years from now.
Maybe one day we will figure out how to use nanomachines to kill cancer cells like that National Geographic Kids magazine told me 10 years ago. :smith:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Petiso posted:

I find every character in this arc pretty boring to be honest. Feels like a bland shojo series.

It doesn't help that the chapters are being released at a snail's pace.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011

Compendium posted:

It doesn't help that the chapters are being released at a snail's pace.

It's weird, the raws for c40 were available a couple of days after c39 came out, and just before that a chapter had about half the pages than usual.

Apparently Mori's been touring recently, perhaps that's shaken things up release and content wise?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
so the latest release of Kingdom ends on a pretty awesome note! excited for the next one!

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

so the latest release of Kingdom ends on a pretty awesome note! excited for the next one!

Ending the chapter with Shin's glaive halfway through his chest is pretty drat badass

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
New Vinland Saga http://www.batoto.net/read/_/269478/vinland-saga_ch107_by_4chan

Continues with Gudrid's adventures. But, seriously Japan, you don't have to make her a virgin, we can handle otherwise.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

trucutru posted:

New Vinland Saga http://www.batoto.net/read/_/269478/vinland-saga_ch107_by_4chan

Continues with Gudrid's adventures. But, seriously Japan, you don't have to make her a virgin, we can handle otherwise.

Wives being virgins back then was a big deal, to the point to where if the husband thought she wasn't a virgin on the wedding night he could get the marriage nullified. Every woman of status back then usually had someone close to them, mother/aunt/handmaiden teach them how to fake the "virginal bleeding" with a pigs bladder filled with blood so when the moral arbiters would come in after and throw back to sheets to inspect for said blood, it'd be there.

Historically, marriage has been really hosed up in regards to woman's rights.

Gudrid's stabbing of that guy would also be really bad for her family. Not only would he beat the poo poo out of her (as was his right back then) but he could probably demand some recompense from her family as well. And not like "give me 2 sheep" but "give me your other daughter".

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 29, 2014

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011

pentyne posted:

Gudrid's stabbing of that guy would also be really bad for her family. Not only would he beat the poo poo out of her (as was his right back then) but he could probably demand some recompense from her family as well. And not like "give me 2 sheep" but "give me your other daughter".

Viking law was pretty hardcore in general, including literal trials by fire (oddly introduced by Christians) duels, and a whole bunch of other crazy poo poo.

Also Constantinople confirmed. :madmax:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

pentyne posted:

Wives being virgins back then was a big deal, to the point to where if the husband thought she wasn't a virgin on the wedding night he could get the marriage nullified. Every woman of status back then usually had someone close to them, mother/aunt/handmaiden teach them how to fake the "virginal bleeding" with a pigs bladder filled with blood so when the moral arbiters would come in after and throw back to sheets to inspect for said blood, it'd be there.

Historically, marriage has been really hosed up in regards to woman's rights.

Seeing as she's already a widow, her maidenhood is irrelevant. Going :ese: on someone though, yeah, not so good.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
^^^ that'll teach me to refresh ^^^

pentyne posted:

Wives being virgins back then was a big deal

She's a widow.

Edit: Basically, it has gone from "Wives being virgins back then was a big deal" to "Waifus being virgins right now is a big deal". Which I find pretty drat silly.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 29, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Leif's face.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Dilettante. posted:

Also Constantinople confirmed. :madmax:

Miklagard, not Constantinople.

You're welcome.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
That's nobody's business but the Turks'.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

trucutru posted:

Basically, it has gone from "Wives being virgins back then was a big deal" to "Waifus being virgins right now is a big deal". Which I find pretty drat silly.

I sincerely doubt this would be the motive for a writer of Yukimura's quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Did Vikings even care about the maidenhood of their wives outside noble marriages?