Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

thespaceinvader posted:

Is the MM really THAT regressive? Seriously, now to go along with the spell casters not having their abilities listed we also have a bunch of templates, which may or may not be applied both to PCs and NPC, ability score damage which requires at-table recalculation and more 'natural' language than you can shake a 10-foot pole at.

God, these pages make me dislike the edition more than almost anything so far. It looks bloody awful to run.

The Template looks super easy to run. The Vampire Template pretty much says that the PC becomes DM Controled. The Shadow appears to be the only monster that does Strength Damage.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruckby
Aug 25, 2009

treeboy posted:

So either 1) Fighters suck or 2) Encounter sucks. Right.

For what its worth the fighters bottlenecked them in a cave opening and proceeded to hack their way through them in pretty short order. The wizard got one spell off, almost died, slept a chunk of the group which took a couple rounds for the boss goblin to wake up while the fighters and bow rogue dealt with the rest. The cleric generally stood there rolling like crap, he eventually killed one goblin on his third Sacred Flame attempt.

This is 5e. If martial classes are contributing to encounters, you're playing the game wrong. There exists a clear consensus that casters trivialize every aspect of the game, so I'm not sure what you don't understand.

branar
Jun 28, 2008

Jack the Lad posted:

I'm afraid so, yeah. There's just no way to make those classes competitive with full casters in 5e except with some very extensive houseruling.

Well this is a bummer. How amenable is 5E to reskinning? Can I just tell guy-who-liked-4E-fighters that if he wants to play a fighter again this game he should make a war cleric or something and we'll reskin all his divine powers to being martial badassery and just roll with it?

I mean, I'm sure there'll be some oddities ("Divine Intervention" doesn't re-flavor easy, and we'll probably need to have a conversation about whether stuff like Counterspell works against his abilities...) but is there anything broadly speaking that prevents it?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Template looks super easy to run. The Vampire Template pretty much says that the PC becomes DM Controled. The Shadow appears to be the only monster that does Strength Damage.

The half-dragon template looks pretty hideous to run, to me. It doesn't have all the information in a single place, and requires cross-referencing with the Dragon pages, and different one for different levels or whatever - it's just not straightforward... If there's one book where I'd want limited flavour and limited language, and every individual monster to have all of its rules in a single locaation, it's the monster manual. Seriously...

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

branar posted:

Well this is a bummer. How amenable is 5E to reskinning? Can I just tell guy-who-liked-4E-fighters that if he wants to play a fighter again this game he should make a war cleric or something and we'll reskin all his divine powers to being martial badassery and just roll with it?

I mean, I'm sure there'll be some oddities ("Divine Intervention" doesn't re-flavor easy, and we'll probably need to have a conversation about whether stuff like Counterspell works against his abilities...) but is there anything broadly speaking that prevents it?

I don't see why you couldn't do that, and I would probably suggest it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Okay, so I think I worked out how to kill that loving dragon:

Find a huge rock or boulder - stone weighs about one ton per cubic metre, so one of around 10x5x2m will give you 100 tons to play with - somewhere in the vicinity of the dragon's lair. Scry the lair until the dragon falls asleep. True Polymorph the rock into a friendly fly. You control its actions (I'm working from the PHB alpha, so I hope the wording hasn't changed in the final version), so send it into the lair and have it fly above the dragon. End the spell (or lose concentration before the hour ends, so it's not permanent). Drop 100 tons of solid rock on the dragon's head.

Then send in fighters skeleton army to take all its treasure.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Payndz posted:

Find a huge rock or boulder - stone weighs about one ton per cubic metre, so one of around 10x5x2m will give you 100 tons to play with - somewhere in the vicinity of the dragon's lair. Scry the lair until the dragon falls asleep. True Polymorph the rock into a friendly fly. You control its actions (I'm working from the PHB alpha, so I hope the wording hasn't changed in the final version), so send it into the lair and have it fly above the dragon. End the spell (or lose concentration before the hour ends, so it's not permanent). Drop 100 tons of solid rock on the dragon's head.

Does the rock get the XP?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Payndz posted:

It won't work if the dragon can smell what the rock is cooking.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ruckby posted:

This is 5e. If martial classes are contributing to encounters, you're playing the game wrong. There exists a clear consensus that casters trivialize every aspect of the game, so I'm not sure what you don't understand.

Since the fighters were able to get in the wizard's way and stop him from killing everything with Burning Hands, forcing him to decide the battle with Sleep instead, I am now convinced that balance is a non-issue and 5e is perfect.

Or it would be, if not for the awful boss lair mechanics that ruin my immersion and reveal 5e to be nothing but WoW on the tabletop.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

homullus posted:

It won't work if the dragon can smell what the rock is cooking.

It's the most electrifying move in tabletop entertainment!

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Sorry.

True Polymorph posted:

Object into Creature.You can turn an object into
any kind of creature, as long as the creature’s size
is no larger than the object’s size
and the creature’s
challenge rating is 9 or lower.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I don't see a problem. The fly is not larger than the rock.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Sorry for what? Flies aren't larger than 100-ton boulders, nor are they CR 10+.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
He was just apologizing to the dragon in advance.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Haha my bad. "No Xer than Y" language always fucks me up.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

slydingdoor posted:

Haha my bad. "No Xer than Y" language always fucks me up.

Negatively formulated statements are infamously easy to misinterpret.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
gently caress you, mearls, spell-like abilities are everywhere.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Ruckby posted:

Well yeah in my experience if the Fighters did that the enemy wizards would cackle menacingly and then just proceed to walk up and cast burning hands themselves. You really are underestimating how much of a clusterfuck this game becomes when you have six casters (easily doable) in a restricted area like that. Also, what the hell was up with the cleric that they didn't cast what is arguably the next best thing to Sleep?

ObMeiste
Oct 7, 2003

The Boss doesn't like you. Get out now or you'll have some real trouble.
For those who've read/had a peek at the monster manual: are there rules for playing goblin characters in it?
If there are, then I'll try 5e; regardless of it being an absolute trashy mess :colbert:

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

D&D NEXT: Welcome to the Bone Zone posted:

Caster Edition never died

See, this is why my first move when making the Noskelhome was to declare no full casters are playable - all of them are NPCs for some reason or another. I assume the gap between martial and hybrid is still pretty big, but at the same time it feels more manageable than that between casters and anyone else.

Thanks for all the advice, guys - while I don't have any art, I will probably have the city of useless mirrors finished within a couple of days - I'm kinda surprised how it turned out, considering my original vision for it, but I think it works.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ObMeiste posted:

For those who've read/had a peek at the monster manual: are there rules for playing goblin characters in it?
If there are, then I'll try 5e; regardless of it being an absolute trashy mess :colbert:

and if so do they get +2 to cha like in 4e because i still don't understand that. at all.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Stormgale posted:

The problem is D&D is a really and has always really been awful at this sort of mythic poo poo (The wizard that alters reality, the fighter that can sever a mountain or scare the wind away), for what D&D is good at bringing the wizard down into sane territory makes sense, as it is and will always be a dungeon crawling murder treasure simulator?

Would I like a Game about playing mythical warrior men and women yes, is D&D ever going to be that game? (no)
4e does this just fine.

I'm getting tired of this recent gambit where people say 'meh dnd is terrible at everything anyway'. Compared to what? Scion?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I ran my 3rd game last night - finished the manor house in the Starter set. Only 3 players- Barbarian (was fighter, he changed with the PHB), Fighter/Rogue and Cleric (from the stater set). Everyone did something, we had fun, the enemy wizard tried to cast hold person which the Barbarian saved against, and then he got splatted.

Make one class NPC only. They make good villains.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 20, 2014

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic

Ruckby posted:

Mostly, I think, what I don't understand is why there is such an absolute consensus to this effect here, while other threads I've seen have come to either the opposite conclusion or some kind of mixed conclusion like "casters can contribute more for a couple of fights, but not for more than two or three in a day".

dumpster17
Mar 16, 2013
None of my friendly local gaming/comic book stores carry this, or indeed any roleplaying game (gaming coming from their carrying minis and MTG).

Does WotC plan to release a PDF/kindle ed, or out of deference to both the stores that will actually stock it pass?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

seebs posted:

Mostly, I think, what I don't understand is why there is such an absolute consensus to this effect here, while other threads I've seen have come to either the opposite conclusion or some kind of mixed conclusion like "casters can contribute more for a couple of fights, but not for more than two or three in a day".

Goddamn people are slow in this thread.

dumpster17 posted:

None of my friendly local gaming/comic book stores carry this, or indeed any roleplaying game (gaming coming from their carrying minis and MTG).

Does WotC plan to release a PDF/kindle ed, or out of deference to both the stores that will actually stock it pass?

If you still have a big-box bookstore near you, they might sell 5th edition there like they did 4th. Otherwise it's Amazon time or waiting for them to sell pdfs.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

A Catastrophe posted:

4e does this just fine.

I'm getting tired of this recent gambit where people say 'meh dnd is terrible at everything anyway'. Compared to what? Scion?

I love 4e but 4e is pretty loving awful at playing mythic heroes that can talk to the earth or sever a mountain in one blow.

It has some stuff like this but only after 20 levels of play, which are a slog to get through or really awkward to skip.

So yes D&D is and always was really loving awful and following the myths and legends of heroes, I'd pretty much stand by that

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My amazon pre-order arrived.

But those monster manual posts have killed all enthusiasm.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Yeah, I was also enthusiastic about 5th edition, to the point that I paid for it before it had even come out. Who could have predicted that the monster manual would've been plagued by a bunch of trivially solvable legacy problems? No one here, certainly.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So to be clear, this isn't a loaded question for edition war time, but I just got the 5e player's manual, and this looks a LOT like 3.5. Are there any significant differences between the two systems? Web searches found me a lot of 3.5 v 4e which is a huge difference but 5e so far seems almost identical.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

seebs posted:

Because the actual rules text says that skeleton army, true polymorph to dragon, etc are things you can actually do.

It's really easy to say "Well what I would do..." and "But in my game it's fine because...", and if enough people are saying those things then everything looks fine. It's just that here, lots of people care about what the actual rules say, not what you'd totally do if you were running a game.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

seebs posted:

I haven't really tested out 5e much, but I can see where everyone is coming from. Dominating only 2-3 encounters a day isn't really a restriction at all. In all versions of D&D I've played, 2-3 encounters per day was pretty typical for long stretches of the game, no matter what sort of advice the DMG says on encounters/day. Unless your under a time constraint, there's generally no reason not to rest up so everyone is at full strength. If you're DM'ing, constantly forcing time constraints is tedious, and just ends up feeling like you're railroading the players. Also, inevitably, there will be an item/spell that allows for a long rest in a reduced time frame.

Edit: Oh, and there's also the tendency when a party is approaching a boss to hold back on their big guns, then unload on the final boss. It makes things pretty anticlimactic when the limited number of encounters the wizard can trivialize are the important ones.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 20, 2014

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I find that resting/continuing after every encounter is the biggest source of IRL tension my group still has. Half of us think it is lame and/or gamist, the other half are spellcasters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah, I was also enthusiastic about 5th edition, to the point that I paid for it before it had even come out. Who could have predicted that the monster manual would've been plagued by a bunch of trivially solvable legacy problems? No one here, certainly.

I still don't consider your problems an issue. It's easy to ignore them and if you say can't use a Pit Fiend because you have to look up spells I say play a different game if remembering Fireball does 8d6 damage in a 20 ft radius is too much of a task for you.

Almost all of the Monsters other then the Lich if they had spell likes did not have a lot of them and they were easy to remember what they did. With the Lich that thing is terrifying and makes every 4e lich look like an pansy. Because god were the 4e lichs pieces of poo poo that did not deserve the lich name.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I still don't consider your problems an issue. It's easy to ignore them and if you say can't use a Pit Fiend because you have to look up spells I say play a different game if remembering Fireball does 8d6 damage in a 20 ft radius is too much of a task for you.

Almost all of the Monsters other then the Lich if they had spell likes did not have a lot of them and they were easy to remember what they did. With the Lich that thing is terrifying and makes every 4e lich look like an pansy. Because god were the 4e lichs pieces of poo poo that did not deserve the lich name.

The lich isn't immune to disease right? I couldn't see if it was or not?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I hope the irony that dragons in every edition of D&D i've played have been colossal chumps for their level.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Of course the Lich is terrifying. He has an skeleton army, and a overly heavy fly buzzing around the roomlair.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

D&D NEXT: I still don't consider your problems an issue

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ocrumsprug posted:

Of course the Lich is terrifying. He has an skeleton army, and a overly heavy fly buzzing around the roomlair.

Now all D&D games should involve the players being paranoid of flys being secret rocks fall party dies traps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's easy to ignore them...

You understand that your ability to ignore what's written in a rulebook doesn't actually change the rulebooks that are in front of everyone else, right?