Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Mango Polo posted:

Codex Grey Knights is the ultimate proof that GW will nerf existing units just so that they can sell their lovely new 3D-designed hot garbage models with overpowered rules.

:downs:

Wouldn't that require them to have a new model coming with the book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Post 9-11 User posted:

Is that a CHALLENGE?

Those rule and if you think otherwise you have objectively bad taste.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Victory needs no explanation. Gary Morley allows none.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

That one guy's just prancing around with his chainaxe. :allears:

At least these were replaced relatively quickly with the current plastic set.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Safety Factor posted:

That one guy's just prancing around with his chainaxe. :allears:

At least these were replaced relatively quickly with the current plastic set.
Those possessed and the actually pretty cool metal Terminator lord model were on the shelves for like 6 months before plastics came out. That was merciful.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Post 9-11 User posted:

When I got Eldar bikes years ago I replaced the torsos and heads with contemporary Guardian bits.

But the leather jacket torsos are really cool. I have Grey Knights, Eldar, and other armies with potential IG allies, what would look great with leather jackets? And, no, I can't make five Marbos. I mean, I could, but I shouldn't.

Is that a CHALLENGE?

The god's of chaos have blessed us all with useless hands!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
New GKs seem...awful. Psybolts were a bit too strong, but they also added some flavor and could have just been adjusted. Looks like the new book banks entirely on the strength of its psykers and psyker defense, and very cheap, powerful artifacts (35-point 12-inch fearless bubble with additional benefits? CSM pay almost that much for fearless on a single, much weaker unit).

I have two friends with paladin-themed armies that will be horrified, though. I was glad that Dark Eldar is coming soon, but now I'm getting second thoughts. I'd give even odds that they'll go "Skimmers and jetbikes are bunk. You know what Eldar should do? Spam our expensive finecast Wracks. Forever!".

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Wouldn't that require them to have a new model coming with the book?

That's the joke.

I messaged a friend about the codex, and his reply was to ask specifically which units got nerfed and replaced by new kits. Seems like people still think GW's designers are capable of such advanced tricks.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sephyr posted:

New GKs seem...awful. Psybolts were a bit too strong, but they also added some flavor and could have just been adjusted. Looks like the new book banks entirely on the strength of its psykers and psyker defense, and very cheap, powerful artifacts (35-point 12-inch fearless bubble with additional benefits? CSM pay almost that much for fearless on a single, much weaker unit).

I have two friends with paladin-themed armies that will be horrified, though. I was glad that Dark Eldar is coming soon, but now I'm getting second thoughts. I'd give even odds that they'll go "Skimmers and jetbikes are bunk. You know what Eldar should do? Spam our expensive finecast Wracks. Forever!".

So, paladins lose objective secured... they can still score, are still tough as nails and now get cheaper FNP. If you want to you can still run an all paladin force as unbound. And, if you really want those models to be objective secured you can just use them as regular terminators.

And psyboltt was stupid and incredibly frustrating to play against; the fact that you could make a pair of twin linked autocannons str 8 for 5 points was pretty ludicrous.

It's become clear that force org manipulation is out... which, honestly, is not a big deal because everything scores now and you can take whatever models you like in an unbound army or across multiple CADs.

Cataphract fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 19, 2014

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'm disappointed they didn't at least make a plastic terminator Librarian for the GK. He looks so out of place.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Cataphract posted:

And psyboltt was stupid and incredibly frustrating to play against; the fact that you could make a pair of twin linked autocannons str 8 for 5 points was pretty ludicrous.

As a Tyranid player who got constantly stomped by Grey Knights when the last codex came out, this pleases me. Apparently Perils on Mindstrike missiles is also gone, which was the biggest gently caress You after gobs of crazy cheap S8 shooting.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Psilencers having Force is pretty cool, I gotta say.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Psilencers having Force is pretty cool, I gotta say.

Yeah, I totally didn't see ranged Force weapons coming but I have to say I like it. It's a neat new option they snuck in there.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
If Paladins got cheaper, a ML3 Terminator librarian + a 5 man squad of them with an Apothecary might be a nice support unit to have backfield or Deep Striking in on top of a Teleport Homer drop pod.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Cataphract posted:

So, paladins lose objective secured... they can still score, are still tough as nails and now get cheaper FNP. If you want to you can still run an all paladin force as unbound. And, if you really want those models to be objective secured you can just use them as regular terminators.

It's become clear that force org manipulation is out... which, honestly, is not a big deal because everything scores now and you can take whatever models you like in an unbound army or across multiple CADs.

This. Plus it looks like they're set to dominate the psychic phase.

So now I'm thinking about how to work some sort of psychic defense into my Necrons, and maybe actually using psykers with my IG after being repeatedly stomped by psychic forces and having none of my own.

I still think Grey Knights are cool. I liked the models for the actual Grey Knights themselves the most, and wasn't too fond of all the small squads of henchmen and stuff that would get used instead of them. Especially since when I ran into it, it was just sort of like playing a slightly more proficient IG force. You can still do pretty much all the same things by using allies. Flood the board with a cheap platoon or two of naked gaurdsmen (maybe krak grenades for if an MC charges them) for holding objectives and just use your Grey Knights to do the actual fighting.

That said, I understand the frustration of having to buy a new book that takes out half your units or changes the way you used to play.

Edit: The last time I played against Grey Knights the guy had three land radiers. Two with paladins and I think Draigo, and one with Coteaz and some death cult assassins. After their lascannons wrecked my Vanquisher Russ' I didn't really have anything but volume of fire to try and take them out. The guy used his now impenetrable Land Raiders to block off LOS and the Paladins to stomp all over whatever units he wanted/block objectives. It was really effective, but would have been a totally different game had my dice not abandoned me on turn one. gently caress you dice, gently caress you and all your god damned ones and twos.

Sir Teabag fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 19, 2014

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Are there actually no new Grey Knight models being released? That seems a little weird but I haven't followed 40K in quite awhile.

I was thinking of getting back into 40k with my small force of GK(5 troops, 5 terminators and a dreadnaught), whats the overall consensus on the new edition and the new GK codex?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
The renegade gt in Minneapolis this fall has put out their faq. It states that a weapons firing arc applies to vertical as well as horizontal.

This essentially means that hull mounted weapons in flyers have a minimum range when shooting at infantry. For vendettas, this is about 19 inches for their lascannons. It also means that Helldrakes can't fire at anything smaller than a monstrous creature because 12 inches out it's still 4 inches up.

I think this is a terrible ruling. Any one else seen someone try to argue this?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cataphract posted:

So, paladins lose objective secured... they can still score, are still tough as nails and now get cheaper FNP. If you want to you can still run an all paladin force as unbound.

Shame on him for having a legal army. Good thing we have unbound so we can sugar coat GWs poo poo game design and poo poo business practices.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Master Twig posted:

The renegade gt in Minneapolis this fall has put out their faq. It states that a weapons firing arc applies to vertical as well as horizontal.

This essentially means that hull mounted weapons in flyers have a minimum range when shooting at infantry. For vendettas, this is about 19 inches for their lascannons. It also means that Helldrakes can't fire at anything smaller than a monstrous creature because 12 inches out it's still 4 inches up.

I think this is a terrible ruling. Any one else seen someone try to argue this?

It was the same ruling as last year. :geno:

BTW my team is totes going again. Too bad it's at Fantasy Flight. The venue last year was way cooler.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
With Grey Knights that leaves only a few codexes left, anyone think it's possible with the release schedule that by the end of the year ALL 40k Codexes will be finished and published then next year Fantasy get's redone , GW just releases new models Data slates and supplements.

Anyone have the Assassin Dataslate ? How is that?

Also what's a cheap alternative for Zombie models ? I just bought Typhus and with my extra Helbrutes plan on running a Typhus Zombie Mech Horde.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 19, 2014

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Naramyth posted:

It was the same ruling as last year. :geno:

BTW my team is totes going again. Too bad it's at Fantasy Flight. The venue last year was way cooler.

Glad to hear you're going. I'd love to get a game in against you, even if it's not as part of the tourney. Fantasy flight is great for me since it's fifteen minutes from home.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

Shame on him for having a legal army. Good thing we have unbound so we can sugar coat GWs poo poo game design and poo poo business practices.

Look buddy, so what if this codex costs more and has less/worse content, just use unbound it's fine.

It's fine and cool, use unbound. Summon 1000 daemons it's fine.

Unbound it's fine.

Unbound.

It's fine.

It's. Fine.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I used Unbound on my anal sphincter and shat all over my local GW store. Secure THAT objective motherfucker!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I think I'm going to run an Imperial Knights army made entirely of Zaku II model kits.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

GW is really pushing unbound it seems with more stricter primaries, blah Unbound.

I seriously think that by the end of the year we will have all codexes be either 6th or 7th edition.

I think

Dark Eldar
Necrons
Sisters??
Blood Angels
Dark Angels?

Blood Angels and Death Angels would be a cool double book thing.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
*shoves 10k dice up my butt and runs to back to the GW store*

PSYCHIC PHASE BITCH!

*farts dice everywhere*

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hollismason posted:

GW is really pushing unbound it seems with more stricter primaries, blah Unbound.

I seriously think that by the end of the year we will have all codexes be either 6th or 7th edition.

I think

Dark Eldar
Necrons
Sisters??
Blood Angels
Dark Angels?

Dark Angels, as easy as it is to forget, have a 6th edition printing. Sisters got an updated digital codex, which is passable. That leaves Dark Eldar, Necrons, and Blood Angels still in 5th edition.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Master Twig posted:

Glad to hear you're going. I'd love to get a game in against you, even if it's not as part of the tourney. Fantasy flight is great for me since it's fifteen minutes from home.

Goon meet up! You can find out exactly how much of a fucker I am off the forums. :getin:

We are going to the Feast of Blades invitational that is hosted there at the end of the month. The tourney isn't until Sunday so I could totally get a game in with you on Saturday (assuming I'm not in food coma from the fair. :v:)

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

About how tall are Knights? Need to know what grade Zakus to use.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hollismason posted:

I think

Dark Eldar
Necrons
Sisters??
Blood Angels
Dark Angels?

4 codices in the 3 remaining months when they already have Vampire Counts/Nagash stuff coming out isn't gonna happen. Put December aside for Hobbit stuff too.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

CODChimera posted:

Are there actually no new Grey Knight models being released? That seems a little weird but I haven't followed 40K in quite awhile.

Was wondering the same thing. Can the dude who's got codex confirm?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Naramyth posted:

Goon meet up! You can find out exactly how much of a fucker I am off the forums. :getin:

We are going to the Feast of Blades invitational that is hosted there at the end of the month. The tourney isn't until Sunday so I could totally get a game in with you on Saturday (assuming I'm not in food coma from the fair. :v:)

Sadly, I work weekends. Working late Saturday. Using vacation time for Renegade.

Edit: unless it's the 30th. I'm off at six that day and could make that work.

Master Twig fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 19, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

SRM posted:

4 codices in the 3 remaining months when they already have Vampire Counts/Nagash stuff coming out isn't gonna happen. Put December aside for Hobbit stuff too.

You know I'll take that bet, not actually betting anything other than I think this will happen.

Here's how I see it

September - Dark Eldar
October or November - Blood Angels
December - Necrons

All codexes by the end of the year.

Next year weekly releases on Dataslates , Supplements , figures etc.. Quick Publish rules to Quick Publish Figures.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Moola posted:

Look buddy, so what if this codex costs more and has less/worse content, just use unbound it's fine.

It's fine and cool, use unbound. Summon 1000 daemons it's fine.

Unbound it's fine.

Unbound.

It's fine.

It's. Fine.

Listen HERE friend, we all know it's incredibly hard and super expensive for GW to make things like new models or competent business decisions. The brilliance of unbound is that, for the first time ever, anything GW does can easily be justified away with no additional effort on GWs part to actually make a good product.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Master Twig posted:

Sadly, I work weekends. Working late Saturday. Using vacation time for Renegade.

Edit: unless it's the 30th. I'm off at six that day and could make that work.

It is the 30th! I'll PM you my contact info. Nothing is set in stone yet for Saturday other then we are going to be there but my lady friend probably isn't coming now so my Saturday is much more open, especially if the team goes to the fair early.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Originally posted in the models thread:

Working on my first army(Ultramarines) and the online painting tutorials on youtube and such have been a godsend. I've been going off a few channels since they have pretty comprehensive and easy to follow painting tutorials for Ultramarines. I'm pretty happy with my results so far having painted 3 tactical Marine squads, and a terminator squad. That being said I am moving on to my HQ Librarian. I had planned on using the following tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtmqojKrLvE

Now this isn't the first one I've followed where I don't have the exact paints to what the creator is using, and normally I don't get to hung up on using a slightly different shade of blue/red/whatever, but I am not sure if anything I have in my range is a suitable replacement for Zandri Dust in this example. I have been going White Scar White for my Marine tabards so far, but I am not sure if that would look out of place on this particular model. Might anyone have any recommendations on what else they might use to paint the tabard on this model? Some colors I currently own are: White Scar White, Ulthuan Grey, Rhinox Hide, Skrag Brown, Cadian Fleshtone, and Kislev Flesh. I've even considered just going with something completely different such as painting it Warpstone Glow, but I am hesitant to jump in and I find out I hate the way it looks, especially on a model where the tabard/robe is so prominent.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Looked it up myself. Seems I'd be using 1/100 Zakus. Even at MG, that's a fair bit cheaper than the Warhams models. Perfect.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hollismason posted:

Anyone have the Assassin Dataslate ? How is that?

It's not out yet.

edit: LOL they're charging more for digital copies than print now. gently caress.

Fix fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 19, 2014

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

Listen HERE friend, we all know it's incredibly hard and super expensive for GW to make things like new models or competent business decisions. The brilliance of unbound is that, for the first time ever, anything GW does can easily be justified away with no additional effort on GWs part to actually make a good product.

Hey PAL, I agree with you here, why would they need to bother making anymore good products, and competent business decisions when unbound already exist?! They've already hit their magnum opus!

With the power of Unbound the world is your oyster; just the other day I took a bus into town, realised I forgot my phone, all I needed to do was utter the word "Unbound", and there my phone was in my hand. I get a message and it's from Kirby himself! "That'll be £500." A steep price you might think, but you really can't put a price on Unbound.

When you Unbound your mind you open up your brain to the limitless potential of world without boundaries!

Unbound, challenge everything!

I've just Unbound my belt and pulled down my pants, and now I've Unbound my bladder onto my keyboard, i'ts acutlly gerting a littel hradt o tpye noew i tyink pissdf miytgh,,, broyke ,., keybored... Shuit. Unbuiynd! UNBYIOUN....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
As someone who literally just started playing 40k and had the misfortune of thinking Grey Knights were pretty cool... gently caress my life. They took away the few things GK really had going for them and made the army objectively worse than before.

• Locked thread