Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Don Lapre posted:

Make sure you spend the extra on noctua PWM fans. They can run as low as 200-300rpm

I made the mistake long ago of getting cheaper fans. Never get cheaper fans. They're 20bux a pop but they're worth every drat cent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Don Lapre posted:

Make sure you spend the extra on noctua PWM fans. They can run as low as 200-300rpm

Thanks for adding that, definitely left out that key detail. I really want to try out the Noctua Industrial PPC fans, but I can't warrant spending money on more fans given that I'm happy with the NF-F12 model.

Still need to find a fan to replace the front fan on my Corsair 600T...

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Got my monitor mount arm and velcro cable ties from Monoprice today and spent a while cleaning up the cables, and it's looking pretty good. Only bad thing is I guess I went a little too hard on one of the screws, because it snapped in half and so my monitor is supported by only three screws now.

The desk is Ikea, but I can't seem to find it on their site now. It has a shelf in the back that's great for cable management; I put my surge protector on it and it helps keep everything organized and sleek. The Dreamcast isn't always on that side table under the computer, that's usually where I store my iPad/laptop. Overall I'm loving my setup, I just wish I had a "before" picture from when the desktop was actually on the desk, and everything was crammed together. It was awful.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

RhoA posted:

Thanks for adding that, definitely left out that key detail. I really want to try out the Noctua Industrial PPC fans, but I can't warrant spending money on more fans given that I'm happy with the NF-F12 model.

Still need to find a fan to replace the front fan on my Corsair 600T...

Noctua doesn't make 200mm fans (yet, there were previews being shown off at one stage but that was over a year ago and god knows when we'll see it) but Bitfenix spectre pros are excellent high airflow fans that come in 200mm, and Phanteks produces a 200mm case fan that is quieter, but not quite as high airflow.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
New mouse pad and speaker stands.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Looks nice.. what mouse mat is that?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

niss posted:

Looks nice.. what mouse mat is that?

Perixx something 2000xxl

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Could you not afford a coaster?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Are those actually speaker stands, or something else you re-purposed as speaker stands? I had a hell of a time trying to find good speaker stands for desks, and eventually ended up using Sterllite drawer units since I found that it was almost the perfect size for my M-Audio BX5 D2s and close enough to proper height.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GokieKS posted:

Are those actually speaker stands, or something else you re-purposed as speaker stands? I had a hell of a time trying to find good speaker stands for desks, and eventually ended up using Sterllite drawer units since I found that it was almost the perfect size for my M-Audio BX5 D2s and close enough to proper height.

Yoga blocks. Similar materials to "isolating stands" yet only $12 a pair instead of $40.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wasabi the J posted:

Yoga blocks. Similar materials to "isolating stands" yet only $12 a pair instead of $40.

Plus they come in funky colors. But isn't part of the draw for desktop speaker stands that they angle the speakers up and away from the table surface in order to stop wave interference and echo issues from the woofers?

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Plus they come in funky colors. But isn't part of the draw for desktop speaker stands that they angle the speakers up and away from the table surface in order to stop wave interference and echo issues from the woofers?

Yes but that looks like an easy problem to solve with some glue and a knife and still cheaper than proper speaker blocks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

HERAK posted:

Yes but that looks like an easy problem to solve with some glue and a knife and still cheaper than proper speaker blocks.

Oh yeah, definitely. I was actually about to suggest that myself, but I wondered how clean and neat it would end up without proper foam cutting tools.

And Wasabi, how do you like the Mackies compared to competing monitors from other brands (assuming you've got some experience or cross-tested them)? I'm in the market for a set and I'd love your take on them.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 17, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Oh yeah, definitely. I was actually about to suggest that myself, but I wondered how clean and neat it would end up without proper foam cutting tools.

And Wasabi, how do you like the Mackies compared to competing monitors from other brands (assuming you've got some experience or cross-tested them)? I'm in the market for a set and I'd love your take on them.

Monitors are kind of weird in the speaker world, as it's the features, not the sound, that differentiates them.

I really have liked Mackies since I was in :gay: ~art school~ :gay: for film (my passion was sound design). They're really not terribly different-sounding than most monitors in their price range, but they have nice built-in filters, level adjustment, and many (including balanced) inputs, which are features that put them ahead of their competition. You can very quickly change their sound just by flicking a switch on the back to make them work more for entertainment or proper monitoring.

If you have a Guitar Center in your town, go play in their monitor room. Make sure you point the things at your drat head, though; I remember when I was buying mine, these guys were looking monitors at the same time. One of the dudes was sitting at the console, saying he couldn't make out details when the speakers were pointed at the wall behind them. I suggested they sit in the sweet spot, and they bought the same speakers they were originally complaining about.

And regarding the yoga blocks; I sit with my ears directly in-line with the tweeters, so I'm not in any desperate need to angle them any more at my head.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 17, 2014

eukara
Aug 5, 2014

Do you believe in life after bomb?
Pretty king that even the chair matches.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

...how clean and neat it would end up without proper foam cutting tools.

I'd be tempted to try and cut it with a home made hot wire cutter or if it's a particularly dense foam a utility knife or a hacksaw.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Big desk so i can have poo poo everywhere

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

eukara posted:

Pretty king that even the chair matches.

Chair is a huge piece of poo poo, though; next thing to get replaced.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

New mouse pad and speaker stands.

Where did you get the table from?

I love your setup - it looks dope.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

Where did you get the table from?

I love your setup - it looks dope.

Ulti-MATE Garage Solid Bambo 6' Butcher Block Worktop Surface

+

28" I-Semble Hairpin Table Legs, 4-Pack

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

How stable is that desk? Does it wobble?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Wasabi the J posted:

Chair is a huge piece of poo poo, though; next thing to get replaced.

Yeah, I see a Steelcase Leap with green upholstery in your future

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Zorilla posted:

The embody also comes in green

http://www.officedesigns.com/herman...TMXMRoCHdDw_wcB

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

blackmanjew posted:

How stable is that desk? Does it wobble?

Not at all. It well wobble a little if I try to shake it hard but the legs are angled in a way that keep it from moving much at all.

Zorilla posted:

I want to try the Gesture. I had a Leap but I didn't find it as carefree and reclinable as I wanted for $800.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Zorilla posted:

Ugh those chairs are garbage. I had a brand new one at work when I started, and was a contributing factor to constant pain in my lower back.

Bodybilt or bust imo. Got one while I was waiting for the standing desk to come in, so much better support, and the padding has not worn out like the leap did.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Tedronai66 posted:

Ugh those chairs are garbage. I had a brand new one at work when I started, and was a contributing factor to constant pain in my lower back.

Bodybilt or bust imo. Got one while I was waiting for the standing desk to come in, so much better support, and the padding has not worn out like the leap did.

Maybe your back is broken because I bought one new 2 years ago and it's fantastic. It's popular for a reason although there are other chairs. You can't even tell it isn't brand new.

I had a lovely Office Max chair before and endured about a week of mild pain, but then it went away once I was used to it. Proper support hurts at first if you aren't used to it.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

Battlestation? Metal station? Something like that...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Thalagyrt posted:

Battlestation? Metal station? Something like that...

Couldn't you find a slightly less...precarious arrangement for your expensive Macbook?

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Couldn't you find a slightly less...precarious arrangement for your expensive Macbook?

Eh, it won't fall from there. It's less than ideal, sure, but the center of gravity is still well on the desk. Really though, I need a bigger desk!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Thalagyrt posted:

Eh, it won't fall from there.

I said that about my HP Probook when I balanced it off a corner like that. Now it's a headless server.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Or just be slightly careful

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Thalagyrt posted:

Eh, it won't fall from there. It's less than ideal, sure, but the center of gravity is still well on the desk. Really though, I need a bigger desk!

Well obviously the center of gravity is still over the desk because it's still there. But I don't think he was referring to that, a light breeze could knock that over.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

dev null posted:

Well obviously the center of gravity is still over the desk because it's still there. But I don't think he was referring to that, a light breeze could knock that over.

I can see why you'd think that from the picture, but the reality is only about an inch and a half of the laptop is hanging over. It's not going anywhere. I've actually tried to flip it by pushing on the sides hanging over - it doesn't budge. The center of gravity is a good 8 inches into the table.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Even if it's not a fall risk, placing it on hard surfaces off of the rubber feet is a good way to scratch up the bottom and eat into the resale value- if you care about any of that.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Even if it's not a fall risk, placing it on hard surfaces off of the rubber feet is a good way to scratch up the bottom and eat into the resale value- if you care about any of that.

I'm well aware! I own way too much hardware, plus I repurpose old computers. I'm not really worried about the resale value. :)

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

The Lord Bude posted:

Noctua doesn't make 200mm fans (yet, there were previews being shown off at one stage but that was over a year ago and god knows when we'll see it) but Bitfenix spectre pros are excellent high airflow fans that come in 200mm, and Phanteks produces a 200mm case fan that is quieter, but not quite as high airflow.

Thanks for the recommendations. The problem that I'm having with replacing the front fan is that unless I want to move my HDD cage back, which I don't particularly want to do, the thickness limit of the fan is pretty limited.

gregday
May 23, 2003

My wife and I want a single desk to share in our home office. We aren't sure if we want to work side by side, or have the desk more in the center of the room and work across from each other, Battleship style. We both really like the style of just having a big slab o' top with some spread out legs that won't get in the way. I'm in love with maple, and I'm considering this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E3Y20RK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2A53VW6MVTXR

With these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005XD7BVU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A19NXYPR29N4VV

For under $300 it seems like it'll be a nice place to work. I think it'll be wide enough. Right now we are using a crappy L-desk I got while working at OfficeMax during college almost 15 years ago ( :stonk: ) that is 24" wide on each side. We have one side of the L against the wall and the other side jutting out into the center of the room. One of us sits in the corner of it and the other on the outside of the jutting part.

I guess I'm wondering if there's any reason I should avoid just getting this slab of butcher's block and some legs and doing this? Seems like it'll be very stable, and if 8' is too long I can cut it down. I know I could probably make my own butcher's block slab a lot cheaper, but I don't have the workspace to do it and I'd honestly just rather buy it already made up and just put the legs on.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Multi purposed my water heater to create a great new standing desk.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

gregday posted:

I guess I'm wondering if there's any reason I should avoid just getting this slab of butcher's block and some legs and doing this? Seems like it'll be very stable, and if 8' is too long I can cut it down. I know I could probably make my own butcher's block slab a lot cheaper, but I don't have the workspace to do it and I'd honestly just rather buy it already made up and just put the legs on.

I did something similar, and no there's not much else you'd need to do. I would recommend a good finish for it, assuming you know how to finish wood.

quote:

Williamsburg Butcher Blocks are sold unfinished

benisntfunny posted:

Multi purposed my water heater to create a great new standing desk.

I'm the AC unit cooling the heated water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

I did something similar, and no there's not much else you'd need to do. I would recommend a good finish for it, assuming you know how to finish wood.

That I can do. Thanks for pointing out it's unfinished. Somehow missed that, but it won't be a problem.