Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Tiggum posted:

Wit and wisdom right there.

Not a lot of "wit and wisdom", yes, but that's actually not half bad in my opinion. He's not being too much of an rear end in a top hat.

Jane's World

Yeah, Skye, you're putting yourself on some thin ice by doing that.

Non Sequitur

:ughh:

Heavenly Nostrils

Yep, we've seen these fairly recently. I totally remember how it ends.

Kliban's Cats

That's a drat fine tiny catte.

9 Chickweed Lane 8/19/2003

That guy's chin is hosed up. Of course, so is Juliette's entire face... Oh, and low hanging fruit in the last panel, etc. :v:

Zits

every_teenager_everywhere.jpg

Kevin & Kell

I sure didn't get the impression that he was that much of an rear end in a top hat.

Don't even try to get him to lighten up, Nemi, it's clear the guy's a butthead. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kliban's Cats

That's a drat fine tiny catte avatar.

Mike du Jour

Monty

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kliban's Cats

That's a drat fine tiny catte.

Yay, we got to my favorite Kliban cat!

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Mr. Squishy posted:

What a profoundly ugly strip. Everything from the speech balloons up looks terrible.

EasyEW posted:

There was always something about Dave Berg that set me on edge in a way that the more cartoony Mad artists never did. Maybe the material was a little more confrontational in a realistic sense. There's one I remember about a dad bitching at his wife about how his kids think Santa Claus brings them presents on Christmas, the Easter Bunny gives them eggs, and the Tooth Fairy leaves them money. "So what's wrong with that?" "The kids think I'm a BUM!"

Funny thing is that there was a time when Dave's artwork was actually pretty lively.

Yes, Dave Berg drew this. You can read the whole story here.

Former SpongeBob writer Sam Henderson is obsessed with Berg, saying that he was like "Garfield" of MAD Magazine. He even did parodies where he removed the dialogues from his old strips and replaced it with his own, vulgar ones.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 19, 2014

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Whoa whoa whoa, hold the phone.

Is something in Luann actually changing in a way that has a non-zero chance of being at least semipermanent?

These kids have been in high school for 20+ years. I'm not sure I can deal with this.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, hold the phone.

Is something in Luann actually changing in a way that has a non-zero chance of being at least semipermanent?

These kids have been in high school for 20+ years. I'm not sure I can deal with this.

It was pretty clear once they went through with the graduation storyline that this had to happen.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Howard the Duck

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I feel like Mandrake and Chickweed Lane are in some sort of contest to see who can tell a "story" the slowest.

The Dinette Set

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Somehow I can't imagine Hannibal Lecter getting too jazzed about that thing.

I could totally see Hannibal Lecter owning some antique mask used in tribal ceremonies, but that's clearly just a Doctor Doom halloween mask that a Chinese novelty company retooled to have horns and painted whatever colours they had lying around. Bernice's new roomie probably found it at a dollar store in a plastic bag with a sticker on it that just said 'Playful Pretend Face Metal Devil.'

Oh my God, he's actually going to reuse the entire week's worth of Trayvon Martin strips with Robin Williams' face pasted on. This is awesome. Predator and Prey Comix.

Pooch Café

Hey, at least you've read the book, unlike everybody that's ever adapted it for film.

Ballard Street

Nice detail on the staffs. Staves? Nice detail on the staves.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Going through MAD, a lot of the later Dave Berg (from late 1980s on) strips take place in the office:

This is very much a poke at the MAD offices. "Lenny" is Lenny Brenner, former production head and later the art director at MAD. He was responsible for physically putting together the magazine, hence him complaining about the rubber cement. He was nicknamed "The Beard" because he always have a rather massive one.

The boss guy is Bill Gaines, the publisher who was in charge of MAD. After Gaines passed away, Dave Berg semi-retired the character; he still appeared, but as a picture on the wall reacting to the antics in the office.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 19, 2014

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Oh sure, New York. It's never New Jersey that's the future utopia.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

How nice of them to rebuild the twin towers before putting the city underwater.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Tiggum posted:

It was pretty clear once they went through with the graduation storyline that this had to happen.
You would think, but this is newspaper comics we're talking about.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

Christ.

All I can think of now is a fusion of Repo Men and Mission Impossible where the predators mark their prey in disguise and rip off the face mask and disguise as they begin the harvest of flesh.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Flagrant Abuse posted:

You would think, but this is newspaper comics we're talking about.

Time jump 20 years in the future. Luann is married to Gunther (obviously), but they each have their old flame hanging around for drama. They have a child, name irrelevant, age ~11. Strip resets to the same original setup, only named after the mother not the daughter. Gains a slightly more home/work focus, is basically a stale Sally Forth clone. Never dies because people fear change, ends up out-living us all.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
January, 1988.

Bloom County

Steve's ma. :allears:

Must be related to L.H. Puttgrass.

Calvin And Hobbes

And the last three months are now back to normal size. :toot:

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

If those are drugs, she's not a very good dealer.

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

If Doc Ock is running on his metal arms, why does he still have to make the runny motion with his feet?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Oh no, a woman with a short haircut and ear gauges. How strange and threatening. :geno:

Between this and the spicy Latina character, Luann is really loving whitebread.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Wanamingo posted:

Luann is really loving whitebread.

Sounds like a Borden/Axeman edit

:newfap:

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Wanamingo posted:

Oh no, a woman with a short haircut and ear gauges. How strange and threatening. :geno:

Between this and the spicy Latina character, Luann is really loving whitebread.

But she's got a bare midriff! And a t-t-tattoo!! I bet she's not even wearing jorts!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

But she's got a bare midriff! And a t-t-tattoo!! I bet she's not even wearing jorts!

Don't forget the black lipstick and heavy eye makeup.

RandomFerret posted:

Oh my God, he's actually going to reuse the entire week's worth of Trayvon Martin strips with Robin Williams' face pasted on. This is awesome.

Bell does the whole "dream subway" bit every so often when a celebrity dies. I can recall him doing it for George Carlin, Michael Jackson, Osama Bin Laden, and his own grandfather.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

I've taken my eye off Juliet Jones, but I have to assume this guy is like a nobel prize winner. Looking forward to seeing where this ends up.

That guy is nothing special; other than that he used to date both Julie and Eve, he's just a regular fella. That's the whole point, actually. What's happening in Juliet Jones lately is a demonstration of why it's bad and wrong for a 50's man to marry a woman with money. Why, you might as well chop his balls right off!

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones

Note that one of the guys is wearing a Groo costume.

Don Martin Dept.

(MAD #111, June 1967)

(MAD #244, January 1984)

Spy vs. Spy

The Lighter Side of...

(MAD #244, January 1984)

"KLondike 5" was an equivalent of 555 fake number heard in movies back when telephone exchange names were used. All-number calling was established in 1958 and most cities adapted to it by the late 1960s. However, the old-standard exchange names were still used in some areas up until the 1980s. Either this strip takes place in one of those areas, or Dave really was stuck in the 1960s.

(MAD #304, July 1991)
Fun Fact: Whenever Dave Berg (a religious Jewish man) said to Bill Gaines (an atheist) "God Bless You", he would retort "Go to Hell". I'd like to imagine that Dave's un-flattering caricature of him was his way of getting even.

Err....

It just occurred to me that Dave's characters look like they belong in "King of the Hill". Roger Kaputnik looks like aging Hank Hill, even.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 20, 2014

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

If those are drugs, she's not a very good dealer.

Maybe it's just because I went to small, liberal-arts college but is it common practice to assign incoming freshman to dorms with anyone but other freshmen?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Mister Beeg posted:

(MAD #304, July 1991)
Fun Fact: Whenever Dave Berg (a religious Jewish man) said to Bill Gaines (an atheist) "God Bless You", he would retort "Go to Hell". I'd like to imagine that Dave's un-flattering caricature of him was his way of getting even.

Dave Berg was a hateful little poo poo but you're really reaching there. He was a lot kinder to Gaines than the rest of them were when they drew him.

Yes, even Sergio.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
I was joking about the Gaines thing. I'm well aware of his caricatures :cheeky: That Jack Davis drawing is glorious (that was when the Mad guys went on a trip to Japan, hence the "8,007 miles")

Sergio once drew Gaines stuck in a bathtub in one of his MAD strips.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 20, 2014

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

How much do you want to bet that Mike Lester put that Redskins thing in there just because the name is controversial right now and it's an opportunity to be "politically incorrect" in a really petty way? I would bet a lot. A lot is the amount I would bet.

This "The Lighter Side of..." stuff is making me think of Kelly from The Onion.

F Minus

:smith:

Mary Worth

Unexplained things appearing in pictures coming up? I'm a little tired of predicting this storyline, as every time it could get interesting it goes out of it's way to not.

Rex Morgan MD

She needs to learn that sometimes you just shut up and leave the person alone, particularly if they are your boss.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Don't even try to get him to lighten up, Nemi, it's clear the guy's a butthead. :v:

By Grabthar's hammer... what a savings.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

plainswalker75 posted:

Maybe it's just because I went to small, liberal-arts college but is it common practice to assign incoming freshman to dorms with anyone but other freshmen?

I don't know how common a practice it is, but I spent my freshman year in a upperclassmen dorm because the freshmen dorms were full.

Also, Viv looks just like a friend's wife (who's a registered nurse and mother of two). The resemblance is uncanny. Don't judge books by their cover, Luann!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Obscure Finnish Comic Strip Goes Obscure Finnish Comedic Band Dept.
Lapinlahden Linnut: The PR Gig

Notes: Suosikki ("Favourite") was a once legendary and influential Finnish pop music zine that was published from 1961 to 2012 (this story is from 2011). One of the best features was Mauri Kunnas' comic Nyrok City that lampooned popular Finnish bands of the time, such as Hanoi Rocks...

Kunnas has also drawn whole albums on Mick Jagger and the Beatles, plus Finnish literature classics recited by dogs :regd09: get them if you can find them, Mauri Kunnas is great!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo is still probing the invisible world. (August 21, 1956)

Peanuts: Year One (March 8-10, 1951)

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts: Year One (March 8-10, 1951)

To be honest, I could never understand the reverence people gave Peanuts having only been exposed to it from the 80s on, but these early strips are really charming. Snoopy especially is so much better than the later "He thinks, he talks, he has merchandise" version.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mister Beeg posted:

Dave Berg was still alive when I first read Mad, so I'm very familiar with his "Lighter Side" feature, which ran in the magazine from Issue 66 (October 1961) to 423 (November 2002). Even though I read it, I always thought that it was out of place in the magazine. Even today, it's still not my all time favorite thing from the magazine, but one thing I realize now is that it's really, really mean-spirited.

Any opinions? I haven't decided if this'll be a regular here, but I'll go through the old issues I have and scan a few here and there.

The Lighter Side of Relatives (select strips, Mad #111, June 1967)

I always loved the art and the humor in these strips. One that stands out in memory is where some old guy is riding a bicycle and someone in a muscle car sneers at him while stopped at a light. The old guy looks over and shouts something like 'Wanna drag?'

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

...And if you like that then come see me at the Chicago Comicon this Thursday through Sunday at the Rosemeont Convention Center (booth E47!) and… I dunno. Give me some money for it I guess.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Death Ray posted:

...And if you like that then come see me at the Chicago Comicon this Thursday through Sunday at the Rosemeont Convention Center (booth E47!) and… I dunno. Give me some money for it I guess.

Let me know if you come to Nashville Comicon this year. We can go get our picture taken with Guy Gilchrist together.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Death Ray posted:

You are a terrible shill. Do you have any copies of the new Weapon Brown omnibus for sale? Will you sign one if we buy it? Sheesh, what a block head!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Mister Beeg posted:

The Lighter Side of...

(MAD #244, January 1984)

"KLondike 5" was an equivalent of 555 fake number heard in movies back when telephone exchange names were used. All-number calling was established in 1958 and most cities adapted to it by the late 1960s. However, the old-standard exchange names were still used in some areas up until the 1980s. Either this strip takes place in one of those areas, or Dave really was stuck in the 1960s.

The Simpsons were using it as a gag well into the 90s, Mr Plow's phone number was KLondike 5-3226.

• Locked thread