Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EuphrosyneD
Jan 25, 2004
Yeah, the Zenith BDR guys are not to be confused with a former TV/radio/computer manufacturer.

In fact, Zenith split off its BDR (or its hosted MSP business, I forgot which) and the split business is now named Continuum.

Newer generations of the Zenith/Continuum BDR hardware are based off Datto's platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Sickening posted:

So I have gone through a project of building a monitoring system from the ground up with a limited budget. We now have a noc-light area with displays displaying all the current system statuses just as you would expect. Things are beautiful.

My boss however is now coming to me wanting an entire screen dedicated to our wan link activity and the full details of whats going through it. Ugh. Anybody have any experience with someone simple and easy to read visually? Showing him the cisca ASA readouts is overloading him.

Depends on what you used, PHPWeatherMap is ideal for this option

http://www.network-weathermap.com/

eg:

HL'ed image:
code:
http://wotsit.thingy.com/haj/cacti/php-weathermap/ml-archive/pngfuht4QlZgN.png

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

EuphrosyneD posted:

Yeah, the Zenith BDR guys are not to be confused with a former TV/radio/computer manufacturer.

In fact, Zenith split off its BDR (or its hosted MSP business, I forgot which) and the split business is now named Continuum.

Newer generations of the Zenith/Continuum BDR hardware are based off Datto's platform.

Actually, zenith and Continuum split late last year, so Zenith took over all the monitoring and support themselves. As soon as they did the service went to total poo poo, and the BDR devices started losing connection to the cloud offsite backups on a weekly basis.

The only way to resolve this issue was to let their barely English speaking Indian support onto your BDR and servers to spend 2 hours resolving it.

I've had to do this over 20 times in the last 6 months.

Hence why we are pushing everyone to Datto.

Datto rules.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Called in afterhours due to internet outage. Dropped everything I was doing, made the 45 minute drive in, headed for the network closet, reached for my keys to unlock it and... no keys.

Left the fuckers at home.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

larchesdanrew posted:

Called in afterhours due to internet outage. Dropped everything I was doing, made the 45 minute drive in, headed for the network closet, reached for my keys to unlock it and... no keys.

Left the fuckers at home.

I can't count the number of times I've done this or locked myself out of a room and can see my keys sitting on a desk behind a window, taunting me. I once locked them at our colo and had to call someone to drive 45mins down to come unlock the rack door because I put things down wherever happens to be closest at the time.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Helushune posted:

I can't count the number of times I've done this or locked myself out of a room and can see my keys sitting on a desk behind a window, taunting me. I once locked them at our colo and had to call someone to drive 45mins down to come unlock the rack door because I put things down wherever happens to be closest at the time.

I like to think everyone has done this to make me feel better, sort of an induction to being an engineer... other notable things everyone has done once are:

- Adding a VLAN to a trunk port with "switchport trunk vlan x" instead of "switchport trunk vlan add x" normally killing your uplink / network (someone actually did this at the office this week :v:)
- Mistracing a cable and unplugging something important
- Rebooting the wrong device
- Bumping a power cable by accident
- Forgetting to bring something crucial during a major outage (Laptop, Console Cable, Ethernet/Fibre/Power Cable, Screwdriver, SFP, etc.)

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 20, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Billy the Mountain posted:

Datto rules.

I've only really dealt with Datto once, but it was super easy and cool. I think their entire platform is really interesting.

EDIT: They don't have a client for hypervisors though, do they?

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 20, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Helushune posted:

There is a solution for that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Volmarias posted:

There is a solution for that.

Even cheaper.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

If you're going to do that, just never put your keys down in the first place. In your hands or in your pockets, no where else.

I'm at least offering a contingency plan :colbert:

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Hi guys. Been lurking these threads since I used to work at Steadfast (hosting company the SA servers are at). You guys are hilarious.

I just YOTJ to a company in the Sears Tower yesterday. Greatest IT gig ever.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

gfsincere posted:

I just YOTJ to a company in the Sears Tower yesterday. Greatest IT gig ever.

Then you should know they "renamed" it the Willis Tower.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
No they loving didn't.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Moey posted:

Then you should know they "renamed" it the Willis Tower.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That may be what it's 'named' now but if you actually call it that to the face of anyone who lives in that city, I hope you own a good pair of running shoes

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That may be what it's 'named' now but if you actually call it that to the face of anyone who lives in that city, I hope you own a good pair of running shoes

Exactly. Even when tourists from other countries ask where the "Willis Tower" is, I tell them I don't know. gently caress a Willis.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

evol262 posted:

Did you know that legacy BIOS is written in assembly (sometimes with call-outs to C, but not often), and that it has limited address space, which is why trying to use multiple cards with option ROMs often silently fails?

EFI is a massive improvement.

Not when it comes to memory setup and management. I am well aware of how bios' were written, I work with a guy who worked for Phoenix. The old Bios' setup the e820 in order, efi doesn't give two shits.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ratbert90 posted:

Not when it comes to memory setup and management. I am well aware of how bios' were written, I work with a guy who worked for Phoenix. The old Bios' setup the e820 in order, efi doesn't give two shits.

I'd imagine that'd be nice, not a complaint. I dislike EFI for other reasons (not even remotely predictable, even on UEFI2), but C(++) is vastly preferable to asm. What don't you like about it?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

evol262 posted:

I'd imagine that'd be nice, not a complaint. I dislike EFI for other reasons (not even remotely predictable, even on UEFI2), but C(++) is vastly preferable to asm. What don't you like about it?

Specifically? The memory map is setup terribly (not at all). In the bios days the type of memory was setup in order, with type 1 being put last so there wasn't any gaps in the way memory was setup.

Does this effect anybody 99.9% of the time? No. Does it effect me because I am working for a large memory manufacture and I am working with memory mapping? Yes.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I need your help goons.

I'm pushing to get a ticketing system implemented because for fucks' sake everyone needs one. All I want is to track stuff internally. Clients will still just email us the usual way.

I was met with this response:

quote:

, I'm not mad keen about either - the main reason is I'd much rather we are all in the loop by discussion rather than reading a database and mis-interpreting it. I don't believe anything we do is that complex, or we have so many of them, that it requires a database we will ignore historically (ie. no further use for down the track). Hate entering information and keeping it up to date just for the sake of it. More than happy to hear your thoughts, but would need to be convinced of its advantages for spending the time entering info...

You won't be surprised to learn that he is a manager and takes no calls. At the moment I cant think of a response that isnt "You don't know what you're talking about".

How can I 'convince' him of the merits of logging calls despite my "not complex" day job without coming off like the rear end in a top hat I desperately want to be.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Swink posted:

I need your help goons.

I'm pushing to get a ticketing system implemented because for fucks' sake everyone needs one. All I want is to track stuff internally. Clients will still just email us the usual way.

You won't be surprised to learn that he is a manager and takes no calls. At the moment I cant think of a response that isnt "You don't know what you're talking about".

How can I 'convince' him of the merits of logging calls despite my "not complex" day job without coming off like the rear end in a top hat I desperately want to be.

You can tell a professional manager from his use of phrases like "mad keen."

There are lots of reasons to use a ticketing system, but a big one is that it allows you to demonstrate later that you do, in fact, do work when cuts are coming. Things might be rosy now, but no matter who you are or where you work, sooner or later -- be it new management or whatever -- someone will think you're overstaffed, and you will need hard data to refute it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Swink posted:

I need your help goons.

One thing I have to ask first is, how new are you at the company? If you have just started, I'd hold off a while unless your job is "Guy we brought in to make our IT department not poo poo." A couple months at least. Nobody likes the newbie who comes in and tells them how they're doing everything wrong.

Anyway, from the quote it sounds like he has never even seen modern ticketing systems. "Reading a database and mis-interpreting it," really? You could try showing him some screenshots of the ticketing system that you're pushing and show him how clear and readable everything actually is. Keeping everyone in the loop through discussion is easier with a decent ticketing system - if you have an issue everyone needs to be aware of or updated on, you refer to a ticket number and then everyone involved can open it up on their workstations and see exactly what the issue is and what has already been done.

You know, instead of saying, "Okay guys you know Ms. Jonston down in building 3, the one that called up with the mouse problem? Oh, John wasn't here that day? Well [spend 5 minutes catching John up while everyone else sits and spins], well it may be an issue with one of the Windows Updates. She has KB20734... dammit Paul I can't read your handwriting, is that a 5 or an 8? You can't read your handwriting either? Okay well we have to try KB207348 and KB207345 then." Etc. Etc. I'm sure you get the point and can probably come up with a better or more annoying example. Efficiency, everyone having access to the same information cuts down on time wasted which means more poo poo gets fixed and your department (and by extension, the manager) looks better. Because they are better.

Maybe if you have access to a demo, demonstrate for him how quick and easy entering a ticket actually is. I mean, it should take a very, very small amount of time compared to what you spend actually fixing a problem (For both of these suggestions I'm assuming you have a ticketing system in mind and that it also isn't rear end =D).

You could also try the CYA route. As in, having this stuff written down and saved somewhere is a record of what was accomplished. If some other manager or executive asks the manager to justify his budget, he can produce all the documented evidence. When everything is running smoothly because your IT department is full of loving wizards who maul every problem to death before anyone can blink, executives tend to think that they aren't doing anything. Endless screens of conquered tickets and charts and graphs with huge numbers on them and bullet point summaries are all things those executives love.

A last-resort option is also to mention that as a manager, he can see who is working on which tickets and how many they close, and can maybe see who might need extra motivation or who deserves rewards or something. But please, please don't use this one unless you really have to. I hesitate even to mention it. Although your boss doesn't sound like the type of guy who loves hard numbers and metrics and poo poo, you never know; metrics are so easily abused that your co-workers might lynch you if your boss latches onto them as a way to be lazy about performance evaluation. I would consider this the nuclear option.

I wish you luck, though. It's really hard to make someone understand the importance of documentation if they don't already understand it (usually by virtue of having been burned by its lack at some point).

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

guppy posted:

You can tell a professional manager from his use of phrases like "mad keen."

There are lots of reasons to use a ticketing system, but a big one is that it allows you to demonstrate later that you do, in fact, do work when cuts are coming. Things might be rosy now, but no matter who you are or where you work, sooner or later -- be it new management or whatever -- someone will think you're overstaffed, and you will need hard data to refute it.

Mad Keen sounds like an incredible forgettable Keane album (most of them)

But yeah, tickets provide direct proof of work in an area where problems tend to meld together in your/your boss's head over time

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.
If he continues to say no, is there anything stopping you from setting up Spiceworks on your desktop for a private system as a CYA? You could then later leverage that into "look at my shiny ticketing system, see how awesome it is? We should totally roll this out to the whole team!"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That's how we started using jira/git where I work. When I came here, there was no issue tracker, no version control, and a whole lot of :cripes: going on, so I installed jira and svn for myself and another dude. Now everyone uses jira+git. We didn't even have to ask anyone.

guy sees jira on a monitor: hey, that looks cool, gimme a test account
me: log in with your windows account, duh
guy: ooooh, shiny

Pretty much the thing for svn and later git. People don't like change when it has an "unknown" factor, but when they see something just works better in the office, they'll switch in no time.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Swink posted:

I need your help goons.

Does he just expect you all to memorize every detail of your cases?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Inspector_666 posted:

Does he just expect you all to memorize every detail of your cases?

Janitors don't need databases to know where the mops are, and we don't need one to know where the mice are :smug:

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

He doesn't care, he just doesn't want to have to do anything.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I would probably just pay the $10 myself and set up a Jira instance on my workstation.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've been at this job for 11 years and we have no ticketing system. Every time we bring it up, the president of the company nixes it saying "it removes the personal from the job and introduces more red tape".

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

J posted:

Hopefully you don't have to take the fall for this stupid poo poo. :ohdear:

Someway, somehow, it's Blackswordca's fault.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GreenNight posted:

I've been at this job for 11 years and we have no ticketing system. Every time we bring it up, the president of the company nixes it saying "it removes the personal from the job and introduces more red tape".

How the gently caress do you people track solutions and job progress?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What are those? Seriously, it's basically my email box.

EuphrosyneD
Jan 25, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

I've only really dealt with Datto once, but it was super easy and cool. I think their entire platform is really interesting.

EDIT: They don't have a client for hypervisors though, do they?

Dattos back up on the OS/machine level, not the hypervisor level. If StorageCraft produced a version of ShadowProtect for ESX(i) or Xen, I'm sure Datto would include it straightaway.

They're also limited to Windows physical or virtual machines, or Macs through Time Capsule emulation. I've heard nothing about Linux or other OS support.

They can also have SMB or NFS shares on them, and theoretically anything put on those shares is also backed up offsite, so on paper you could do backup of unsupported operating systems to a share.

Billy the Mountain posted:

Datto rules.

IMO, they're King Turd of poo poo Mountain. All backup software sucks, but Datto's platform just happens to suck less than the rest of the field.
I'm not as much of a fan for several reasons:
  • Their support, in my experience, is extremely hit or miss - where hit is "barely competent" and miss is "worse than useless".
  • The quality of their support has never seen steady improvement over time.
  • The devices are extremely noisy with alerts. The alerting strategy on a Datto device is to send out a critical error notification immediately after a failure, even if the device retries a failed backup operation and it succeeds on the next attempt.
  • The backup process sometimes fails to capture important Windows files, such as the registry, BCD, boot sector, Windows directory, or all of the above, resulting in failed virtualizations (and more alerts)
  • Things can mysteriously fail, hardware or software-wise, and the box won't tell you about it, resulting in nasty surprises. Ex: We once tried to remove a server, and it looked like it was deleted, but its data remained for more than a YEAR before someone from their support org took a look and told us that "yeah, you've got this old server here, do you still want it?"
  • Alerts from the box can be needlessly cryptic
  • $env:DEITY help you if you're doing VMWare to Datto backups, as VirtualBox, Datto's virtualization platform, hates VMWare sourced backups for some inexplicable reason
  • $env:DEITY also help you if you have to run a VM as disaster recovery or a holdover on the Datto box itself, as performance is terrible.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

The only backup software I ever used that I didn't absolutely hate was Veeam.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

When I was new at this gig I opted for NovaSTOR. To be honest after a year I'm sick of it. The management interface randomly crashes entirely and has to be re-installed.

Next round when I virtualize everything I'll be installing Veeam. Pretty sure you get it for free under 2 virtual servers.

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

VEEAM is hateful too. Just in a few unique and novel ways. God help you if you want to do anything complicated, like encrypted tape, trad vtls, or accelerated snapshots on anything that's not 3par. Or you want to define your data retention policies in a sane manner.

Oh and if you do happen to want an old file off tape, good luck restoring the whole repository chain, hope you have enough temp storage.

gently caress all backup products.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
My boss got a call this morning from a site stating that our server there was making noises. This was from their IT Manager, who is not on the site, so it must have been reported by a user there.

We drove over (which is thankfully only a 5-10 minute drive), and found that our server was fine, and their UPS is making a horrible high-pitched squealing noise, sitting on a shelf above the rack our server is in.

At least I got to go on a field trip today.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Is there something in particular you want from a backup product that nothing has today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I used to run Veeam and for the most part it worked. Had random issues that would crop up where it would decide to leave orphaned snapshots and stuff, but it wasn't terrible.

Been running Unitrends now (formally PHD Virtual) and am really liking it. Ran the new version all the way through the beta and had no real issues.

• Locked thread