Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jedit posted:

Really? I've lost a number of elections where I knew my heir was in the lead to inherit a couple of days before I died, and by an amount too great to be explained by a prestige tick for age.

From defines.lua:
code:
	DOGE_SUCC_RANDOM_FACTOR = 500,					-- The random Respect factor on actual Doge succession

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Jaramin posted:

Does anyone know where descriptions for religions are in the game files? I'm trying my hand at simple modding but cant find them for the life of me.

It's automatic, in your localisation just put down "newreligion_DESC" and go wild. I had the same issue just a bit ago.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

A_Spec posted:

For fucks sake, the After the End mod has been the bane of my office life. Keep finding myself tabbing back in and fight for the glory of the New York Republic.

Slowly but surely I'm on track to reinstate the Kingdom of Carolina.

It may take a few more generations, but goddamnit, The South WILL Rise Again.

EDIT: Also, Fallout soundtrack music (ambient, radio, or a mix) is a must while playing the After the End mod.

timp fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 18, 2014

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hmm, so the dlc will basically enforce the playstyle I already favor (less vassals, higher crown laws, minimal vassal levy laws).

..okay? not really seeing why I should fork out 20$ for EVEN MORE karlings.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The changes are to make large blobs less stable, by helping to force the player and AI to build a proper hierarchy and thus making it easier for vassals to consolidate power and have successful revolts.

You aren't paying for that, you're paying for the new start date and the new story events and such. If you don't want that, don't buy it, pretty much the same as any other of their gameplay DLCs. The price does seem a bit high from what we know we're getting so far, but it seems like there's more that we don't know about still. Plus, the DLC prices in general are usually a little on the high side to compensate for the ridiculous amount of free extras you get just from the patches.

Edit: You'll probably need the DLC in order to form titular Kingdoms too, I would guess.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 18, 2014

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
This should realistically be before the Catholicism/Orthodox split. Arianism should be littered around in pockets in France and Germany and Monophysites should be strong in now Islamic lands. During Charlemagne's era it was more Nicene vs everyone instead of Rome vs Constantinople. The entire religious aspect of Christianity needs a rework the further you go back. Leaving East as Orthodox and West as Catholic would be incredibly sloppy because the politics behind the religion was more nuanced. This is the critical point where the divergence starts happening.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

My favorite thing to in this game is form ahistorical kingdoms like Carpathia and Mega Brittany anyway, so that will be a lot of fun.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

YouTuber posted:

This should realistically be before the Catholicism/Orthodox split. Arianism should be littered around in pockets in France and Germany and Monophysites should be strong in now Islamic lands. During Charlemagne's era it was more Nicene vs everyone instead of Rome vs Constantinople. The entire religious aspect of Christianity needs a rework the further you go back. Leaving East as Orthodox and West as Catholic would be incredibly sloppy because the politics behind the religion was more nuanced. This is the critical point where the divergence starts happening.

CK2 could use some kind of patriarchal authority mechanic kind of like EUIV I think, or just separate moral authority for members of the same religion with different religious heads. Say this moral authority takes a hit if your head (your patriarch that is in the Christian case) is not independent, a further hit if their liege is not the same religion as the religious head, but is strengthened by the number of provinces under his authority of the same religion, and if a vassal also strengthened by having a same-religion liege with high piety and a good relationship with the patriarch.

If you added into this more ways for these patriarchs to interact with each other you could possibly define a schism event to fire if a patriarch has reached a certain authority threshold and has a negative relationship with another powerful patriarch. This then causes all characters and provinces who have the first patriarch (the one with high authority) to change their religion, with the exact name and such depending on which patriarch was their head of relgion (so people whose head of religion is the bishop of Rome all become Catholic, while you would have to make up a different name and such for a potential other schism occuring, though unlikely because the other patriarchs will likely be either vassals of Muslims or vassals of Byzantium).

Something like that could probably work if the mechanics were there.

Also I think I've more than used up my monthly quota of the word "patriarch"

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 18, 2014

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

catlord posted:

It's automatic, in your localisation just put down "newreligion_DESC" and go wild. I had the same issue just a bit ago.

Thank you!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

After the End is great. From the loading screens to the bookmark title (I actually chuckled), to the references I get and especially the references I don't get, it's goddamn great. Just zooming around the map with religion or culture map on is quality. For some reason, it even runs better on my laptop than CK2.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SeaTard posted:

From defines.lua:
code:
	DOGE_SUCC_RANDOM_FACTOR = 500,					-- The random Respect factor on actual Doge succession

That's anywhere from 10% to 25% variance, depending how many people I've stabbed (answer: all of them). It could use toning down, maybe to 300.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

lenoon posted:

After the End is great. From the loading screens to the bookmark title (I actually chuckled), to the references I get and especially the references I don't get, it's goddamn great. Just zooming around the map with religion or culture map on is quality. For some reason, it even runs better on my laptop than CK2.

Its because there is less provinces.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Rumda posted:

Its because there is less provinces.

There's actually 100-200 more than vanilla. It runs fast because we don't have as many events.

Some screenshots for the next release:

Shadeoses, who is joining our team and has a lot of map modding experience, redid the terrain.bmp.

The big grey blob is being rebalanced.

Hampton Roads is a merchant republic, to act as a buffer between Dixie and the Americanists and to compete with NYC.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm surprised that the Holy Columbus Confederacy flag isn't just the flag of the Army of Tennessee.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Were there pockets of Manicheanism around still in 769? One of my wishes is that it gets moved so it's not a Zoroastrian heresy any more, and it seems like that'd only happen if it needs to, say by having it be around in general. My other big wish is that Yazidi becomes a heresy of Zoroastrianism instead (it makes no sense seeing it pop up in West Africa, at least with Zoros it'll be closer geographically). And of course, Ibadi as its own branch.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm surprised that the Holy Columbus Confederacy flag isn't just the flag of the Army of Tennessee.

That's the flag of the kingdom of Dixieland (Alabama/Georgia).

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The heresy system is really broad and inappropriate for a lot of religions, there should be a better way.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

KOraithER posted:

Once you declare war with a weak claim, you're good. Your war won't end if the revolt ends. Also, your claim will become inheritable (on case you have to white peace out).

I checked, and there are 2 separate Cuman revolts right now, both from different factions with a claim to the throne, plus they're being invaded by the Seljuks. The weak claim I could push belongs to a 64 year old man with no heirs, though I did just get him a young wife. It's hard to resist taking an entire kingdom at once and Cumania is pretty fuckin big, but I think there's too much risk trying to invade unless this dude has a kid to pass on his claim. He could die in the time it takes to march my army out there.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Any tips on preventing major revolts against you, I'm not sure if it was religious or what in this case? I started as the king of Iceland and had taken just short of 50% of Scotland. Nobody held the title for Scotland at all at the time, and sure enough there was a big fat revolt to 'reclaim' Scotland from me, 10k doomstack and all. I guess I just got really screwed hard since I had no allies I could call in at the time (just transitioned over to a new ruler), and lost almost every bit of land I had.

Is the odds of that based just on Revolt Risk? If so, does suppressing revolts help at all considering it was basically every county in Scotland at around 6% revolt risk?

Basically I'm just down to 3 counties left. No idea what to even do now, I can barely even take a stab at Ireland because everyone is allied with everyone else there.

Any ways I can ensure allies from one ruler carry over to the next? Or ways to start establishing them for the next ruler ahead of time? That would have helped a lot in this case.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

catlord posted:

Were there pockets of Manicheanism around still in 769? One of my wishes is that it gets moved so it's not a Zoroastrian heresy any more, and it seems like that'd only happen if it needs to, say by having it be around in general. My other big wish is that Yazidi becomes a heresy of Zoroastrianism instead (it makes no sense seeing it pop up in West Africa, at least with Zoros it'll be closer geographically). And of course, Ibadi as its own branch.

Yeah, the Uyghur Khaganate, which was on the eastern half of the map, converted to Manichaeism like 5 years before the start of the game. It should definitely have a significant place in the steppes.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Any ways I can ensure allies from one ruler carry over to the next? Or ways to start establishing them for the next ruler ahead of time? That would have helped a lot in this case.

Dynastic alliances are great for this, if you can maneuver your kin on the throne of other kingdoms, they are your allies in perpetuity. (This is why the Karlings blow.) Otherwise marrying your heir to a likely ally is a good way to ensure they are allied in the future, betrothals don't count for alliances though, so watch out for that.

edit: also marry your close kin to their close kin(big blood drop) I've noticed that allies from this tend to last a generation or so longer.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jedit posted:

That's anywhere from 10% to 25% variance, depending how many people I've stabbed (answer: all of them). It could use toning down, maybe to 300.

It's only an extra 100 ducats of investment. Early on that might be half a year of income, but by the mid-900s that should be 1 month or less of income.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Sam. posted:

There's actually 100-200 more than vanilla. It runs fast because we don't have as many events.

Some screenshots for the next release:

Shadeoses, who is joining our team and has a lot of map modding experience, redid the terrain.bmp.

The big grey blob is being rebalanced.

Hampton Roads is a merchant republic, to act as a buffer between Dixie and the Americanists and to compete with NYC.

Any chance of plains Indians as you move west? Looking at the map, the first thing that comes to mind is post-post-apocalyptic reconquista.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Will there be mayans and cartels in mexico?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I believe it is planned for there to be a mix of revivalist Aztecs and more modern Mexicans, but I don't know about the rest of the land.

Shadiiw
Apr 22, 2010
After starting a game as the doge of Venice i have some questions. as a republic, do i want to hold the city or the castle of a province?
I got the castle in Venice and i don't seem to get any penalty for holding it. So is it better to hold castles for the better troops or should i stick with cities for the cash?

The second question is about trade post, where is the best place to build them? All in one trade zone or to spread them out?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Will there be mayans and cartels in mexico?

You could have the Knights Templar cartel become a Christian Holy Order again.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

CK2 and the African, Russian and Norse unit pack DLCs are in the Humble Bundle.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

catlord posted:

CK2 and the African, Russian and Norse unit pack DLCs are in the Humble Bundle.

The CK2 DLC Collection is on sale at 50% off in the humble store too.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Haven't been keeping up with this game recently and I'm not reading the whole thread: Any news on the next DLC? Seems like it's been a while since RoI.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Haven't been keeping up with this game recently and I'm not reading the whole thread: Any news on the next DLC? Seems like it's been a while since RoI.

Charlemagne. 769, tribal vassals... um... other stuff.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Shadiiw posted:

After starting a game as the doge of Venice i have some questions. as a republic, do i want to hold the city or the castle of a province?
I got the castle in Venice and i don't seem to get any penalty for holding it. So is it better to hold castles for the better troops or should i stick with cities for the cash?

Go for Cities, since they improve the value of the trade zone, hence all your other cities' income increases too.

quote:

The second question is about trade post, where is the best place to build them? All in one trade zone or to spread them out?

That's debatable.
Your trade posts and cities increase in value for being connected in a trade zone. The larger the trade zone, the more cities and trading posts can contribute to the trade zone value.
You also gain a large boost to city and trade post value from being connected to the capital of your Republic.
However, trade posts also cost you more money to build the further away from any of your holdings they are, and how much the owner dislikes you.

So, you should definitely do your best to own the sea zone connected to your capital, since it has the most value.

After that things get murky, as it's cheaper to fill in that initial trade zone than expand further outwards, but if you own the next connected trade zone then the trade zone's value increases from all the coastal cities, so the income of all your trade posts increases.

My general recommendation is to play the long game to dominate every sea zone, so build enough trade posts in your initial sea zone that you aren't going to lose it*, then expand outwards with the same goal, as the connected to the capital bonus is too important to leave to chance. You can have multiple disconnected trade zones, but them all being connected is the best thing, as you get better than linear increase in income with the number of trade posts built.

* Do your best to not lose elections, as if you have more trade posts than the Doge, he can take them off you. Also be vigilant for plots to steal your trade posts from other patricians.

Also, does anyone know of a way to make a vassal lose a trade post? I got a bit close to not being able to control a sea zone, connecting my trade zone out of Venice.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

catlord posted:

Charlemagne. 769, tribal vassals... um... other stuff.

I just looked that up and gently caress yes looks great. I've been saying Charlemagne is perfect CK2 fodder forever.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Edison was a dick posted:

That's debatable.

It's not debatable. You make more money filling out a seazone and that's that.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ThomasPaine posted:

Orv posted:

New Earlier bookmark, 769, almost 100 more years of Crusader Kings II
Special story event series for Charlemagne
Annual Chronicle in the style of the Saxon chronicle
Custom Kingdoms and Empires, create a new title from a lower-tier title, can customize flag and name
Dozens of new cultures
Brand new system for climate and seasonal transitions
Regency overhaul

I think that's all we know so far? I'm assuming the new Bookmark and Custom Kingdoms are going to require the DLC, the other stuff sounds like it will be free in the patch.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

More importantly, you can reform the Gothic kingdoms because the Visigoths were still a thing in 769 apparently.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Funky Valentine posted:

More importantly, you can reform the Gothic kingdoms because the Visigoths were still a thing in 769 apparently.

I'm wondering if Germanic paganism will be just rendered as Norse or if they're going to make a new group. I'm not really read up on Donar and friends.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
I really wish they would do a byzantine expansion/DLC. I know LoR was supposedly that, but byzantine government was wayyyy more complicated/interesting than what's in the game now, and there's also a lot of stuff missing with the great schism and whatnot.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Landsknecht posted:

I really wish they would do a byzantine expansion/DLC. I know LoR was supposedly that, but byzantine government was wayyyy more complicated/interesting than what's in the game now, and there's also a lot of stuff missing with the great schism and whatnot.

There is a lot of stuff missing in a lot of places. There is a ton of potential flavor missing for pretty much all cultures/religions/nations but it would an incredible amount of effort on Paradox's part to appease everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

When I try to launch any total conversions like winter kings or after the end all it does is bring up the default CK2 screen with the map of Europe, but if I launch AGOT it does the right thing. Any ideas? I've put the mods in the right directory and am slightly confused.

• Locked thread