Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Acquire Currency! posted:

This game just looks dumb

I'm not planning to play it but it's mechanics seem pretty solid to me. A horror game with an energy meter that you need to conserve over an entire level, the energy meter gets expended to keep yourself safe and check where enemies are. The fact that you are constantly draining your only means of survival seems like it adds a solid tension to a horror game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

LibbyM posted:

I'm not planning to play it but it's mechanics seem pretty solid to me. A horror game with an energy meter that you need to conserve over an entire level, the energy meter gets expended to keep yourself safe and check where enemies are. The fact that you are constantly draining your only means of survival seems like it adds a solid tension to a horror game.

I played it a few days ago and it is a great little game. Starts out simple, but by the time I got to day three I kept dying since I couldn't find the right balance of door closed, watching cameras, and doing nothing to conserve energy. Stupid Rabbit sat outside my door for 2 hours....

Orv
May 4, 2011

LibbyM posted:

How is Invisible Inc? Because holy poo poo 'turn based tactical stealth rpg' gets me excited.

Exciting foundations, give it another six months+.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You fuckers all crashed Steam.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

tuesday evening

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

exquisite tea posted:

Mom always said if I crabwalked too much on de_inferno that it would break the steam servers but I always thought that was the early stages of alzheimer's kicking in.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

I feel like I've played a few games now where the endgame felt like the people in the writers room threw up their hands and tossed a table over or something. Deus Ex had a pretty tremendously cheesy climax, but Deus Ex HR's final level almost felt like a different game entirely. Almost all the routes were gone too and you had to run down super linear corridors. I wonder how pacifists were able to finish.

lots of punching

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Quest For Glory II posted:

I feel like I've played a few games now where the endgame felt like the people in the writers room threw up their hands and tossed a table over or something. Deus Ex had a pretty tremendously cheesy climax, but Deus Ex HR's final level almost felt like a different game entirely. Almost all the routes were gone too and you had to run down super linear corridors. I wonder how pacifists were able to finish.

gas grenades and candy bars

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PrinceRandom posted:

lots of punching

God, the part where the bridge was filled with zombies. Biggest nut kick to pacifist runs.

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat
Freeeeeeeee Thiiiiiiiings

Deadlight

Terraria

Crusader Kings II

Crusader Kings II - African Unit Pack

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Acquire Currency! posted:

God, the part where the bridge was filled with zombies. Biggest nut kick to pacifist runs.

I almost, almost, broke out the Heavy Rifle as I started running low on gas grenades, darts, and candy bars... then I realized the zombies were just hopping around me and not actually hitting me. I have no idea if that was a bug or what.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Whiirrr posted:

Deadlight

Thanks for this!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
This is an interesting read.
http://www.puppygames.net/blog/?p=1574#more-1574
"Because You’re Worthless: The Dark Side Of Indie PR"

An excerpt:

quote:

Once upon a time, back in the early 2000s or so, games would sell for about $20 or so. Some developers did really well at that price point – I mean really well. Most of us didn’t do that well, and made beer money, but we carried on making games anyway because that’s what we liked to do, even if nobody wanted them. When we got a customer we were able to treat them like royalty. Apart from there not being that many of them, twenty bucks is a pretty reasonable chunk of money and you should damned well expect it to work properly. Of course, 99% of the time, when things didn’t work it was just because the customer had lovely OEM drivers that were simply broken. (Interestingly I don’t ever hear of people taking their laptops back to the shop – which remember cost $500 or more – and yelling at the salesmen for selling them something that didn’t work). So what would happen was we spent a not insignificant proportion of our time – time which we could have been making new games in and thus actually earning a living – fixing customers computers. Note that we weren’t fixing our game. We were fixing customers computers for them. It’s a pretty tedious affair. When the same problem turns up 20 times in a day (or even, during a sale, 200 times), and the answer is always the same, that’s the very definition of tedium. So we jokingly used to say that we sold you a game for a dollar and then $19 of support. That’s actually pretty close to accurate when you work out the time spent fixing someone’s computer for them. We relied on enough sales going through without problems to come out on top slightly, though the reality was that we never actually did.

Then Steam came (and to a lesser extent, Big Fish Games).

Things changed fast. So fast that in other industries it would have been seen as a cataclymically disruptive event. The upshot of it is, within 5 short years, the value of an independent game plummeted from about $20 to approximately $1, with very few exceptions. Steam is great! You can sell loads of games! But only if they’re less than $10. Technically Valve don’t actually dictate the prices we charge. Actually, they do. Utterly. It’s just not talked about. In fact technically, I don’t think anyone’s allowed to talk about it.

Then came the Humble Bundle and all its little imitators.

It was another cataclysmically disruptive event, so soon on the heels of the last. Suddenly you’ve got a massive problem on your hands. You’ve sold 40,000 games! But you’ve only made enough money to survive full-time for two weeks because you’re selling them for 10 cents each. And several hundred new customers suddenly want their computers fixing for free. And when the dust from all the bundles has settled you’re left with a market expectation of games now that means you can only sell them for a dollar. That’s how much we sell our games for. One dollar. They’re meant to be $10, but nobody buys them at $10. They buy them when a 90% discount coupon lands in their Steam inventory. We survive only by the grace of 90% coupon drops, which are of course entirely under Valve’s control. It doesn’t matter how much marketing we do now, because Valve control our drip feed.

Where does this lead us to?

You are worthless to us.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

Whiirrr posted:

Crusader Kings II

Thanks a lot! I grabbed this!

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Hellgate London just wont stay dead it seems. Bringing it out on steam might just last for a bit.

HG:L was always a guilty pleasure of mine.

Hopefully the green light page updates a bit more.

The Battle Axe
Mar 30, 2011

Here's a free copy of Deadlight for whoever clicks first!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
lovely indie dev learns the basics of supply and demand, more news at 11.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

The Deadly Hume posted:

An excerpt:

Here's the TL:DR version; (because I didn't read it myself) Indie devs are emo blog posters.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Also who the gently caress is Derek Smart?

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Phil Fish was right. :fut:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

Also who the gently caress is Derek Smart?
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/derek-smarts-desktop/
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/derek-smart-not/
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/derek-smart-amazing/

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

The Deadly Hume posted:

An excerpt:

Maybe if they didn't make crappy games people would be willing to pay more than a dollar for them.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

Maybe if they didn't make crappy games people would be willing to pay more than a dollar for them.

That must be it. Quality always sells more.

drguildo
Apr 27, 2013

LISTEN TO THE CROWD ROAR IN ADMIRATION!

Thank you. :byob1:

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
Galactic Civ II, for you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I mean I feel for that guy, being a low-level in the games industry sucks no doubt, but the tone of the entire article comes off as "the world changed, and we didn't want to adjust."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

lovely indie dev learns the basics of supply and demand, more news at 11.

I don't want to say that post is wrong because a lot of it is probably right but it feels like the exact same kind of right it would be back before Steam and bundles, just in a different way. At one point the poster acknowledges that even back when indie games sold for $20 on things that weren't Steam most developers still did not do well and, at most, made "beer money" but still kept making games because that's what they enjoyed. But not too long afterwards comes the complaint that because of Steam and Humble Bundles now despite selling 40,000 copies they only have enough funds to work full time for two weeks because those 40,000 copies sold for $1-$5, even though they didn't work full time before. Seems to me to be the exact same situation just in reverse. Before indies would sell 2000, 2500 copies through earlier stores or whatever at $20. Now you sell 40,000-50,000 copies at $1-$5.

So, yeah, probably right. Just sounds like the exact same problem in a different way.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

I mean I feel for that guy, being a low-level in the games industry sucks no doubt, but the tone of the entire article comes off as "the world changed, and we didn't want to adjust."

I don't think it's "we didn't want to adjust" as much as "we can't adjust because we can't live off selling games for a buck."

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

If they're smart they'll start churning out Five Nights at Freddy's clones immediately.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

quote:

You are worthless to us

Them too, judging on how people pass up those bundles for $2 with a "meh".

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Kibayasu posted:

I don't want to say that post is wrong because a lot of it is probably right but it feels like the exact same kind of right it would be back before Steam and bundles, just in a different way. At one point the poster acknowledges that even back when indie games sold for $20 on things that weren't Steam most developers still did not do well and, at most, made "beer money" but still kept making games because that's what they enjoyed. But not too long afterwards comes the complaint that because of Steam and Humble Bundles now despite selling 40,000 copies they only have enough funds to work full time for two weeks because those 40,000 copies sold for $1-$5, even though they didn't work full time before. Seems to me to be the exact same situation just in reverse. Before indies would sell 2000, 2500 copies through earlier stores or whatever at $20. Now you sell 40,000-50,000 copies at $1-$5.

So, yeah, probably right. Just sounds like the exact same problem in a different way.

Except the article isn't all that true. Indie developers can still make money. Terraria sold like gangbusters, same with Starbound. Minecraft isn't even on the Steam store and the dude is mega rich. Hell you have indie translators whose games sold well enough they could make a career out of it. Hell Kickstarters prove people will shell out 20 dollars for a game.

Good games sell at regular price. lovely games don't, and this guy is all butt hurt about it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Leper Residue posted:

Good games sell at regular price. lovely games don't, and this guy is all butt hurt about it.
Maybe he has a crew he has to split profits between, too? gently caress, if I could sell four hundred thousand copies at $1 personal income each, I'd be an unbelievably happy man. You have four or five people on your team and estimate half for taxes, six figures turns into 20, 25 grand each.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 20, 2014

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Bobby The Rookie posted:

If they're smart they'll start churning out Five Nights at Freddy's clones immediately.

Many Midnights at Marty's
Several Saturdays at Sammy's
Ten Twilights at Teddy's

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Look at someone like Vogel. He's still selling DRM free copies of his games for 20$. He recognises that his hardcore fanbase will continue to buy it at that price. He also sells steam copies of his games for much cheaper than that / bundles them regularly because he recognises that by doing so he captures a market that wouldn't buy his games at that 20$ price point.

Puppygames was one of the first companies to jump on the bundle train, so very little sympathy for them in that regard.

The rest of that post is pretty terrible too. Every industry / company deals with lovely customers. The correct response is not to bemoan trolls and the terrible gaming customer base.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Puppygames produce decent, charming games, but they are the worst at making decisions such putting a game on a $1 bundle one day after it releases pissing off those who preordered it for $20, or investing all their savings into making a loving F2P strategy MMO (they are a pair of programmers for heaven's sake), and to top it off, one of them subscribes entirely to Phil Fish's school of handling PR.

He wrote that blog post above and, on the same day, he spent his waking hours insulting people on the comment section of an article dedicated to try to convince people to preorder their next game with which they hope to keep their outfit open. No joke, I can't make this stuff up.

Any good will their average games have built is being completely broken every time that guy opens his big mouth.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 20, 2014

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Puppygames produce decent, charming games, but they are the worst at making decisions such putting a game on a $1 bundle one day after it releases pissing off those who preordered it for $20, or investing all their savings into making a loving F2P strategy MMO (they are a pair of programmers for heaven's sake), and to top it off, one of them subscribes entirely to Phil Fish's school of handling PR.

He wrote that blog post above and, on the same day, he spent his waking hours insulting people on the comment section of an article dedicated to try to convince people to preorder their next game with which they hope to keep their outfit open. No joke, I can't make this stuff up.

Any good will their average games have built is being completely broken every time that guy opens his big mouth.
Why are there so many broken people in game development/publishing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Leper Residue posted:

Except the article isn't all that true. Indie developers can still make money. Terraria sold like gangbusters, same with Starbound. Minecraft isn't even on the Steam store and the dude is mega rich. Hell you have indie translators whose games sold well enough they could make a career out of it. Hell Kickstarters prove people will shell out 20 dollars for a game.

This poster sounds like they're talking about going back much further than even Minecraft. Sounds like they're talking about when Steam was just for Half Life 2 and Rag Doll Kung Fu, if not even earlier.

What I'm saying is that the poster is right in saying that they're making a relatively small amount of a money per customer. But what I'm also saying is that this is still the same basic thing as making a large amount of money per customer but with far fewer customers; which is what the situation was before Steam and the rest of the stores we have now. They have the same problem, a lack of money (just "beer money" before), but now its with the addition of seeing that 50,000 people have their game but 90% of them only paying a $1 for it. What they don't realize is that the 5000 people that paid full price are the same 5000 people that would have paid full price in 2003 (or probably even fewer in 2003 since Steam has so many eyes on it) and the other 45,000 of those sales are ones that would have never happened without those discounts and bundles.

All numbers pulled directly from my rear end, by the way.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord
Free games!

The Darkness II
Bioshock
Antichamber
Deadlight
Van Helsing Complete Pack
Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate
Terrarria
Crusader Kings II, CK2 Norse Units, CK2 African Units, CK2 Russian Units
QUBE
Strike Suit Infinity

Cortex Command: GEQBQ-ANCQR-0F504

Binding of Isaac+DLC: KEHXN-M9WWW-WCQMH

Legend of Grimrock: XYTX7-RELGM-YWL8F

Cave Story+: TRMA5-N8BEA-5K3CN

The Basement Collection: RT3MM-8B9EM-8DN8H

Titan Quest: MNJBW-YXKPJ-CTTIE

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Deadly Hume posted:

Why are there so many broken people in game development/publishing.

The never ending cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
dihaploidy - Thanks for antichamber! I bought it a few times for friends on steam but never got around to actually getting one for myself.

For me, there are SOOOOOO many games that a poorly written (or none at all!) little game with a quirk isn't probably going to hold my attention for more than a half hour or so to begin with. Games in the indie spectrum are also notorious for having the production and design qualities of an ios app - which are mostly made to play in super small chunks. Simple systems.

I play snake on my calculator in three minute bursts once or twice every few days, but why would I pay to do that even if it has cool pixel art? Again, the outliers, but those you pay for.

Why would I bother paying for that?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 20, 2014

• Locked thread