Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

It's time for new duty boots, what is everyone wearing? I've been using the cheap Bates 8" side zips and actually don't have anything to really complain about but I think I'm going to try something different.

I'm thinking about trying a pair of the new Original SWAT Hawk boots.

My only reason requirements are 8" boots and I have wide feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
I've always used 511s but never tried the 8" ones. Cheap, lightweight, and comfortable once they get broken in. They don't last terribly long though.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Been wearing some under armour boots for a few months, really light weight & comfortable. They wear like cross trainers.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

deratomicdog posted:

I've always used 511s but never tried the 8" ones. Cheap, lightweight, and comfortable once they get broken in. They don't last terribly long though.

I also have 5.11 TacLites (side zip) and I love them. I've put three years on mine and I'll probably replace them next year with another pair of TacLites.

Smiling Jack posted:

You don't have to read someone their rights when they are arrested.

Up here, you do. It's a charter right - to be informed of the reason for your arrest and your right to contact counsel. And a few other things typically get read to you as well.

Thesoldier
Aug 15, 2004

Seek not greatness, but instead truth, and you shall find both.
My wife may be getting a Job offer from UVA making almost six figures. Is it hard to become a cop in VA?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Thesoldier posted:

My wife may be getting a Job offer from UVA making almost six figures. Is it hard to become a cop in VA?

You would have to go back through the academy to get state certified if that matters. Its been almost ten years since I went through a hiring process in VA so I can't really speak to how competitive it is now. But Charlottesville is a decent sized department and if you're willing to split a commute and live in the middle, that opens your options considerably.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
For duty boots I usually wear my 6" Red Wings though I had to get a pair of 8" boots also and went Danner for those.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Thesoldier posted:

It's not so bad, and you should be pretty competitive with your previous experience. You will probably have to go through an academy again though. Virginia does allow lateral transfers from out of state with a shorter academy but there is only like one or two agencies that ever do that, and they are not down there. UVA is in Charlottesville, which is an independent City surrounded by Albemarle County. If you do really start looking for cop jobs Albemarle County PD is pretty well regarded in the region. That said, the Charlottesville area is only about 45 minutes from the outer Richmond metro area and Henrico County PD and Chesterfield County PD, both large county police departments that would probably happily give you a job.

Your in for a culture shock.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Tyro posted:

For duty boots I usually wear my 6" Red Wings though I had to get a pair of 8" boots also and went Danner for those.

I know the Danners are solid boots but those both sound heavy as gently caress. I love having light boots after getting out of the Army. The TacLites are so nice and nimble.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

DrakeriderCa posted:

I know the Danners are solid boots but those both sound heavy as gently caress. I love having light boots after getting out of the Army. The TacLites are so nice and nimble.

Nah my RWs are pretty light. You're right about the Danners though.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Tyro posted:

Nah my RWs are pretty light. You're right about the Danners though.

Light RedWings? Which ones? I'm intrigued.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

DrakeriderCa posted:

Light RedWings? Which ones? I'm intrigued.

They are Iron Rangers with a vibram rubber sole. Not sure of the actual weight but I am wearing them now, they are the lightest pair I own at the moment.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010
I had a pair of Bellevilles that lasted a good three years, but they stopped making that particular model so I bought a pair of Danners. While heavy, they're built like a tank and they last.

Thesoldier posted:

Goodbye Florida resident Disney passes.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I get $150/year for boots so as long as they are comy, will fit my wide rear end feet and last a year I'm good to go.

JiimyPopAli
Oct 5, 2009

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

In Canada. Which is why I was asking the Canadian cop while using the word our.

You get read your rights, but it isn't "Miranda" and it's different although my knowledge of the American version is based on watching Law and Order. You may or may not get cautioned against making any statements, depending on the situation. If you're drunk in public, no. If you just killed your girlfriend, yes.

It's fun dealing with people who's entire understanding of the Criminal Justice System comes from the opening credits of Law and Order, or their Grade 12 law class in high school.

Protip: if someone says "I know my rights" at least 95% of the time they have no idea what they're talking about.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

JiimyPopAli posted:

You get read your rights, but it isn't "Miranda" and it's different although my knowledge of the American version is based on watching Law and Order. You may or may not get cautioned against making any statements, depending on the situation. If you're drunk in public, no. If you just killed your girlfriend, yes.

It's fun dealing with people who's entire understanding of the Criminal Justice System comes from the opening credits of Law and Order, or their Grade 12 law class in high school.

Protip: if someone says "I know my rights" at least 95% of the time they have no idea what they're talking about.

iirc correctly you guys don't have to tell us what we're being arrested for either if the reason we are getting arrested is obvious i.e. you are caught breaking and entering. am i right on this one?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
This is all I want a cop to say to me if I ever get arrested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2otihe65SI

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

JiimyPopAli posted:

Goddamn that's a guarantee

These people also usually want to tell you about their mom/dad/aunt/stepbrother who is a lawyer/judge/police chief and how your career path will be changing once they get out of these drat handcuffs!

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

iirc correctly you guys don't have to tell us what we're being arrested for either if the reason we are getting arrested is obvious i.e. you are caught breaking and entering. am i right on this one?

Eh, as I was taught you always say it. But it doesn't have to be "I'm arresting you for theft for stealing two chocolate bars of a total value less than $5000 from Shoppers Drug Mart of 11342 97th Street, in accordance with section 334(b) of the criminal code". It can just be "I'm arresting you for theft". I've had people tell me they'll get off in court because I didn't recite the section and subsection of the offence. Sure buddy :downs:.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I can't think of any better way to spend the last 3 hours of my work week than sitting at this house fire with 4 dead inside. Oh well at least I'll get some OT.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Whale Cancer posted:

I can't think of any better way to spend the last 3 hours of my work week than sitting at this house fire with 4 dead inside. Oh well at least I'll get some OT.

It's nice that your department has a BBQ at the end of the work week.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Snowdens Secret posted:

Britcops what's up with these Tesco raids, what the hell

No idea what you're on about

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
BBC News have discovered that cops use the internet and say dumb poo poo sometimes http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28844500

BBC News posted:

Examples of cases uncovered
  • A community support officer with Devon and Cornwall Police who received a final written warning after posing with weapons on Facebook
  • A sergeant with the same force who was given a written warning after making remarks about senior officers on the site
  • A civilian officer in central London who posted a comment online about Muslims in London failing to observe a two-minute silence
  • Two special constables who had to resign from Northamptonshire Police after they were pictured on a website in a "compromising position" :airquote:
  • A Gwent Police officer who was given a written warning after he "inappropriately" asked a female member of the public to be his friend on Facebook during a house visit :wiggle:
  • Another PC from the force who received the same punishment for using Facebook to send an "abusive" message to a member of the public
  • A member of civilian staff in Lancashire who resigned over their "excessive and inappropriate use of the internet during working hours" - including online auction sites, internet banking and social networking

Also Hezzy the Tesco bullshit was a dude in Birmingham being angry about Israel because Tesco are connected somehow??? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-28833906

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Pro tips:

Keep your Facebook profile friends-only.
Don't friend co-workers, especially supervisors.
Don't post dumb poo poo on Facebook.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Or just don't have facebook. If I was constantly exposed to all the inane bullshit my coworkers post to facebook I'd never be able to work with them. Bad enough my wife tells me about the more retarded stuff from time to time.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I haven't used Facebook since 2008 :smug:

or any social network since 2009.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
im on facebook 24/7. Other than oppressing freedom loving cattle ranchers in nevada, what do BLM cops do? Is it a P sweet gig or what?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

BLM also get to oppress freedom loving hippies at Burning Man each year. Other than that, :confused:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Sounds like the best job ever. Piss off crazy militiatards and hippies?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

DrakeriderCa posted:

Sounds like the best job ever. Piss off crazy militiatards and hippies?

Seriously, to be the bane of both tumblr and Stormfront would be loving tits, man

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
What's GBS' fascination with randomly misspelling words in their posts? What absolutely groudn breaking humor am I missing here?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

It's funy

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
doge

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
catte

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

im psoting

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

this isn't helpong

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Htiler

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I luv u gays

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

all cobs are basturds

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
we gona gt baned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014