Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

KillerEggplant posted:

Birthing and feeding debates get rabid, possibly because it's such a personal and fairly intimate subject. The sort of person who has trouble comprehending that what's best for them might not be best for others can get entrenched pretty firmly.

I know this is a while back, but here's the "mommy wars" logic as I see it:

Obviously, I want nothing less than the very best for my baby. Therefore, I've decided to do X. If someone else does Y, that means maybe Y is actually what's best for babies, and therefore my decisions are somehow less than the best. Obviously, believing that would require me to make an uncomfortable re-evaluation of my information and/or act like a mature adult. That's not happening, so I've decided that other person just doesn't love their baby as much as I love mine. The monster.

This really does gently caress women up. My wife was so bombarded with "breast is the best" that when she couldn't breastfeed it basically broke her brain for a while. If X is the best and you're not doing X, your kid's going to have an IQ of 90 and grow a tail, or something. Parenthood is a hell of a drug.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 02:44 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

glowing-fish posted:

Not to be fetishistic, but I think pregnancy is a beautiful thing.
I don't think there is anything wrong with pregnancy pictures, other than it might be a prelude to turbo mommybooking.

I agree, as a woman it amazes me that my body is capable of growing a little human. It's the same with public breast feeding, I see it as just such a beautiful and natural thing that isn't shameful or gross at all, and its a little sad to me when people expect women to cover the baby feed privately such as in the washroom.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Toriori posted:

I agree, as a woman it amazes me that my body is capable of growing a little human. It's the same with public breast feeding, I see it as just such a beautiful and natural thing that isn't shameful or gross at all, and its a little sad to me when people expect women to cover the baby feed privately such as in the washroom.

The way I see it, if you're the kind of person who sees something sexual or dirty about a woman breastfeeding, that's your problem. Same with people who have a problem with naked toddlers running around. Swear to whoever my mother-in-law would avert her eyes when my son would run around naked, and he wasn't even a year old. Why couldn't the U.S.A. have gotten a cool party boat full of French instead of the puritan fucks we actually got?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Bodily fluids are pretty gross when ejected from the body or eaten by other humans, tbh.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Breastfeeding In Public Should No Longer Be A Taboo For Mothers Who Are Conventionally Attractive

Clickhole is the best :allears:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Byzantine posted:

Bodily fluids are pretty gross when ejected from the body or eaten by other humans, tbh.

You need to get over your women issues, mang.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Imagined posted:

The way I see it, if you're the kind of person who sees something sexual or dirty about a woman breastfeeding, that's your problem.

I don't think most people see it as necessarily sexual. It's an intimate act and being confronted with it feels like an intrusion into another person's life that makes me uncomfortable. It's the same as a couple arguing in public, making out, or hugging for too long. Honestly, get a room.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

cult_hero posted:

I don't think most people see it as necessarily sexual. It's an intimate act and being confronted with it feels like an intrusion into another person's life that makes me uncomfortable. It's the same as a couple arguing in public, making out, or hugging for too long. Honestly, get a room.

It's a mother feeding her baby. Your comfort is your problem.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Imagined posted:

It's a mother feeding her baby. Your comfort is your problem.

It's just a dude not wearing pants. Your comfort is your problem.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

cult_hero posted:

It's just a dude not wearing pants. Your comfort is your problem.

man's just doing what he loves

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
If those are the options for Baby B, what did Baby A get stuck with?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I love the "breastfeeding is the same as having your wang out" argument. I also love making babies eat their meals on the shitter.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Parasol Prophet posted:

If those are the options for Baby B, what did Baby A get stuck with?

Koncerto, Panasonic, Klef, Scherzo, Fermata, Feedbacque, and Iggy.

Also, babies should be able to eat (breastfeed or bottlefeed) in places it's appropriate for other people to eat. Restaurant? Great. Bathroom? No. Airplane? Sure. In crowded elevator? Not so much.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 04:40 on Aug 20, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Good lord, I think their child is a digital camera.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Cleretic posted:

Good lord, I think their child is a digital camera.

It's truly beautiful and amazing what the human body can create.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I didn't think it was possible, but Videodrome 2 got even weirder.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

I was hoping that was a joke until I got to the "half of hollywood" line at the end. What a creep.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Go with Kanon. It's at least an actual girl's name here in Japan.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Lblitzer posted:

Eating, petting dogs, holding hands, holding a babby. Shooting for the stars. This is coming from a girl who's been with her boyfriend for like 3 years.
First you share a meal, then you share a bed, then you have a baby, then when you've gotten through all that and you know you're meant to be, you finally settle down and get a dog.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

What really elevates this one isn't how dumb the names are(though they're exceptionally dumb), it's that the poster realizes how dumb they are well enough that she expects negative feedback but is doing it anyway.

Also letting people vote on the name of your child itself seems pretty insane, but eh.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I think kids should be able to choose their own name once they turn 18.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Imagined posted:

I know this is a while back, but here's the "mommy wars" logic as I see it:

Obviously, I want nothing less than the very best for my baby. Therefore, I've decided to do X. If someone else does Y, that means maybe Y is actually what's best for babies, and therefore my decisions are somehow less than the best. Obviously, believing that would require me to make an uncomfortable re-evaluation of my information and/or act like a mature adult. That's not happening, so I've decided that other person just doesn't love their baby as much as I love mine. The monster.

This really does gently caress women up. My wife was so bombarded with "breast is the best" that when she couldn't breastfeed it basically broke her brain for a while. If X is the best and you're not doing X, your kid's going to have an IQ of 90 and grow a tail, or something. Parenthood is a hell of a drug.
Breastfeeding actually is vastly and unequivocally better for children's health than formula. Like, if a woman is unable to breastfeed, the first thing they should do is see about securing breast milk from some other bitch's titties.

Formula really should be treated as an absolute last resort.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

AlbieQuirky posted:

Koncerto, Panasonic, Klef, Scherzo, Fermata, Feedbacque, and Iggy.

Also, babies should be able to eat (breastfeed or bottlefeed) in places it's appropriate for other people to eat. Restaurant? Great. Bathroom? No. Airplane? Sure. In crowded elevator? Not so much.

I think this is how I feel but I also don't think my opinion on the matter should come before a mother's.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Women and their bodies are totally icky and should be covered at all times please.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

AlbieQuirky posted:

Babies don't give a poo poo where they are when they get hungry. Breasts aren't sexual, we've just sexualized them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kannonfodder posted:

Breasts aren't sexual, we've just sexualized them.

We did a really good job, though.

(I eat in elevators. I'm edgy that way.)

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Dorian is a boy's name torn from music theory that isn't loving hideous and won't result in the little guy's rear end constantly getting kicked by all the other kids. And probably some adults.

Like poo poo, If I had a kid named Demo or Sony in my 3rd grade class, I can't say I wouldn't calmly take them aside every now and then and just slap them a few times.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Zero Star posted:

I dunno, if someone I knew posted something like this, they'd do it as a joke and everyone would laugh with it.

It wasn't :( I went to her profile, she had dozens of utrasound images as public. Everyone in the comment thread that knew her ignored the fetus pic.

Could we please not have the loving breastfeeding debate in here?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm currently working in a gift shop, which has a ton of stuff that's personalized with names, and I hear adults bitching constantly about how nothing ever has "Benjamyn" or "Kamryn" or "Addison" or some stupid name like that on it. What the gently caress do you expect? You decide to give your kid some weird-rear end spelled name to make them unique, then complain when the name isn't normal enough for products to be made with it on them.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whatev posted:

Dorian is a boy's name torn from music theory that isn't loving hideous and won't result in the little guy's rear end constantly getting kicked by all the other kids. And probably some adults.

Like poo poo, If I had a kid named Demo or Sony in my 3rd grade class, I can't say I wouldn't calmly take them aside every now and then and just slap them a few times.

Well tbf, the victims of sexual abuse tend to want to project their pain onto others.

Lukipela
Dec 30, 2012

Whatev posted:

Breastfeeding actually is vastly and unequivocally better for children's health than formula. Like, if a woman is unable to breastfeed, the first thing they should do is see about securing breast milk from some other bitch's titties.

Formula really should be treated as an absolute last resort.

Any citations to back this up? My wife comes from a family full of women who have actual physical problems breastfeeding, so most of the kids/cousins/relatives have only breastfed for a month or two, if at all. And they all seem healthy enough, not a stunted tailwagger among them.

We live in Sweden, which is all about natural birth and breastfeeding, but they usually emphasise the contact in breastfeeding here, not the quality of the food.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I wonder how it would feel to grow up and find out how militant my mom was about breastfeeding.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Jesus Christ lady, just name your kid after a musician or composer. Hell, name your kid John Paul George Ringo {insert last name here}. That will be vastly less embarassing than Sony or Legato.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Lukipela posted:

Any citations to back this up? My wife comes from a family full of women who have actual physical problems breastfeeding, so most of the kids/cousins/relatives have only breastfed for a month or two, if at all. And they all seem healthy enough, not a stunted tailwagger among them.

We live in Sweden, which is all about natural birth and breastfeeding, but they usually emphasise the contact in breastfeeding here, not the quality of the food.

There are no definitive studies that for a fact say breast feeding is better than formula in any measurable way. At least no non-biased studies. Breast milk has antibodies that formula doesn't and more babies digest it better and with fewer adverse reactions. But if your baby doesn't die from a bacterial infection in its first 2 weeks of life or puke whenever you try to give it formula - then you're golden with either choice.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Seriously, the only appropriate option out of that list for a second child is Encore.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Why settle for Demo? Why not name the kid 30 Day Trial?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Scroll Down to Accept End User License

S'daeul for short.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't think you should name your kid Demo unless they're a blue-haired cyclops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Huntersoninski posted:

The wrongest thing in this post is the fact that this person is on your friends list.

She's provided me with some good material. You could say that about any of the people we feature in this thread.

• Locked thread