Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

icantfindaname posted:

I've unfortunately seen one beheading video with the same pattern and the blood didn't start spurting everywhere immediately. The tiny knife they use doesn't get to the jugular that fast I don't think

Veins and arteries are also pretty tough tissue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
This video talk is reminding me that ISIS took the time to censor a prisoner's asscrack in that video where they're shooting people and tossing them into the river.

My best friend is deploying for the first time in the Navy on the 25th, mostly for college. We both agreed that if he ever gets sent to a combat zone, we want it to be against these guys.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Someone wants the USA to commit to Iraq again I guess it doesn't matter who exactly it is.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

Someone wants the USA to commit to Iraq again I guess it doesn't matter who exactly it is.

We're already committed. Hell, I know went to school with a pretty Jewish girl up in Kurdistan these days. I guarante she's not there for the tan.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

icantfindaname posted:

As for this, 'getting to them' is meaningless as the US has figured out over the past 15 years. In order for peace to exist you need a stable government, bombing people doesn't do that, in fact is actively hinders it because some sociopath will inevitably pop up in the power vacuum. Just like Saddam is now looking pretty good compared to ISIS it's possible that in 5 or 10 years people even worse than ISIS will crop up, even after you've killed enough people that they finally stop using the ISIS name. The most realistic way out of this really is to just split Iraq into three countries and be done with it.

You can't create a new Sunni-majority country without kicking IS out first anyway. There's no point in legitimizing them in western Iraq when they're determined to conquer Sunni and non-Sunni areas in Iraq and Syria.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

The more I think about it, the more I think of Iraq/Syria as basically being another Democratic Republic of the Congo, where various gangs of rapacious militias will be rampaging around for the next decade rear end-loving people with machetes and playing soccer with their heads, kidnapping their kids to be the next generation of child soldiers. That's what you get when an entire society collapses, half the country becomes displaced, and everyone has severe PTSD. No rule of law, just the law of the jungle.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't think it was mentioned, but a missing reporter from Time Magazine is also apparently in ISIS' hands, and they are threatening to execute him as well.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-steven-sotloff-ucf-behead-isis-20140819,0,4620829.story

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
What's the point of them threatening? They've shown themselves to be entirely untrustworthy. Every incident I've heard of a negotiation with ISIS ends with them trying to launch an ambush.

edit: Holy poo poo, they got rid of the Stupid Newbie thing. End of an era, I've had that avatar for like 13 years.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Torpor posted:

I was going to look at other beheading videos to see if it is consistent. That guy was sawing away at that neck and basically nothing was happening before it faded to black. I was kind of thinking that perhaps up to that point every one of those scenes had taken place multiple times, including a fake beheading, and they just pieced that all together and they actually took the head off on some other occasion. I dunno, the video all seems so absurd, it would be a black comedy if it weren't real.

I refuse to watch the video, but bear in mind there's an internal edict within ISIS against showing graphic beheadings. Wonder if that might explain some of this.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Curious, what do they expect releasing that video to do, other than to increase domestic American support for the air campaign. Some sort of long game?

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

Please explain how a group worse than ISIS would act.

I was thinking about a game of thrones metaphor, but there isn't one. ISIS is still worse.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Kurdish representatives have rejoined the Iraqi government, but made clear they won't hesitate to leave it again if there isn't reform. That's encouraging.

Also

quote:

We have never been prouder of our son Jim. He gave his life trying to expose the world to the suffering of the Syrian people.

We implore the kidnappers to spare the lives of the remaining hostages. Like Jim, they are innocents. They have no control over American government policy in Iraq, Syria or anywhere in the world.

We thank Jim for all the joy he gave us. He was an extraordinary son, brother, journalist and person. Please respect our privacy in the days ahead as we mourn and cherish Jim.

I for one am very interested in how Foley found his way from regime captivity to ISIS'. :allears:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Reading the reddit thread (SA was down) on the execution I can now see why they had that english guy do it. So many comments saying "what are we going to do about this" (implying taking some sort of action against muslims in the uk).

I realise that is just internet talk but it will surely raise tensions again here.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
The government here reckon around 400 people from the UK have joined IS/other groups, and they've arrested around 70 that have tried to return. Lots of Muslims from around Europe have headed to Syria and Iraq to fight, if IS do crumble in the end there's going to be a wave of them trying to return and it'll be a big issue.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard anywhere from 500-1,500 Brits. One thing is that a lot of those guys burned their passports, so if ISIS did collapse (it won't) they'd be kind of stranded.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Mans posted:

i wish the entire zone was glassed.

You can do those calculations yourself

B83 is the largest currently stocked and ready by the US, it's only 1.2MT, though.

A terrible idea, though, because you'd kill people that have nothing to do with it. But I understand the anger.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 20, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
May 2013.

quote:

After 162 days with no information about his whereabouts, GlobalPost announced Friday that James Foley, an American journalist who went missing on November 22 in Syria, is almost certainly being held by the Syrian government in a detention center near the capital city of Damascus. Surrounded by Foley’s family during a speech in Boston marking World Press Freedom Day, GlobalPost CEO and President Philip Balboni said:

With a very high degree of confidence, we now believe that Jim was most likely abducted by a pro-regime militia group commonly referred to as the Shabiha and subsequently turned over to Syrian government forces. We have obtained multiple independent reports from very credible confidential sources who have both indirect and direct access that confirm our assessment that Jim is now being held by the Syrian government in a detention facility in the Damascus area. We further believe that this facility is under the control of the Syrian Air Force Intelligence service. Based on what we have learned, it is likely Jim is being held with one or more Western journalists, including most likely at least one other American.

http://www.cjr.org/behind_the_news/james_foley_globalpost_syria_k.php?page=all#sthash.ojTS3He8.dpuf

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I imagine The Daily Mail is having a field day with all this ISIS returnee stuff. I assume Melanie Phillips is inking her quill for Londonisistan already.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Good news, even Germany is now prepared to send weapons to help out the Kurds. Gratulation, ISIS, somehow you made Germany overturn a sentiment which has existed since the foundation of the republic: Not to send weapons into active war zones.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Withnail posted:

I was thinking about a game of thrones metaphor, but there isn't one. ISIS is still worse.

The Boltons with Ramsey in charge.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

ReindeerF posted:

I imagine The Daily Mail is having a field day with all this ISIS returnee stuff. I assume Melanie Phillips is inking her quill for Londonisistan already.

I'm pretty sure she got fired by the Mail actually, for being too batshit crazy even for them.

Rukeli
May 10, 2014
Could someone up-to-date about Syria answer the following questions:

- Is Al-Nusra still fighting IS?

- Can Al-Nusra still be considered Al-Qaeda?

- Did IS and Turkey fight yet? IS has attacked everyone else so far. If they haven't attacked Turkey, what's stopping them?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Libluini posted:

Good news, even Germany is now prepared to send weapons to help out the Kurds. Gratulation, ISIS, somehow you made Germany overturn a sentiment which has existed since the foundation of the republic: Not to send weapons into active war zones.

Germany is one of the leading arms exporters of the world. The fact that the populace is consistently opposed to arms exports has never mattered in the slightest.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

Germany is one of the leading arms exporters of the world. The fact that the populace is consistently opposed to arms exports has never mattered in the slightest.

As someone living in Germany and watching the news, I know this already. But Germany has taken pains to never send weapons into active war zones. Until now. ISIS changed this, thanks to being total asshats.

Edit:

We're talking here about Germany officially sending weapons and ammunition to help the Kurds, by the way. Not about simply selling them our weapons. Also we're already sending other military rubbish like out-of-date vests, weapons is the next step up from this now.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Aug 20, 2014

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

I've unfortunately seen one beheading video with the same pattern and the blood didn't start spurting everywhere immediately. The tiny knife they use doesn't get to the jugular that fast I don't think

Yes it takes time for blood to spill, most beheading video actually only show blood once the head is severed. (which is why it's also so hard to watch). I don't think it's fake. Also I think one of the reason to use a small knife is that it lasts longer and looks more impressive on video than if you just behead someone in one second with a scimetar.

edit: what I mean by this is that I believe those videos are propaganda and terror tools first and foremost so the most it's viewed (probably why they edited it ) the better it's to them

SA_Avenger fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 20, 2014

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Libluini posted:

As someone living in Germany and watching the news, I know this already. But Germany has taken pains to never send weapons into active war zones. Until now. ISIS changed this, thanks to being total asshats.

Edit:

We're talking here about Germany officially sending weapons and ammunition to help the Kurds, by the way. Not about simply selling them our weapons. Also we're already sending other military rubbish like out-of-date vests, weapons is the next step up from this now.

That's nonsense, Germany has no problem sending arms into Afghanistan, Israel, the Kosovo region etc. Then you have German assault rifles showing up in Libya, and exports into countries that, though not active war zones, are in various states of civil war, brutal suppression of uprisings, or uneasy truces liable to fall apart at any given time (Egypt, Saudi Arabia, South Korea etc). If ISIS changes anything it's probably that in this case, I don't see many voters having a problem with the exports.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Given the way the Syrian revolution seems to be going, I have to think that putting up this picture (and the others like it that I've seen) puts these guys in line for an extremely unpleasant end.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

That's nonsense, Germany has no problem sending arms into Afghanistan, Israel, the Kosovo region etc. Then you have German assault rifles showing up in Libya, and exports into countries that, though not active war zones, are in various states of civil war, brutal suppression of uprisings, or uneasy truces liable to fall apart at any given time (Egypt, Saudi Arabia, South Korea etc). If ISIS changes anything it's probably that in this case, I don't see many voters having a problem with the exports.

According to us, neither Afghanistan, nor Israel or the Kosovo, are active war zones right now. If you disagree, I suggest writing a stern letter to our government explaining your viewpoint.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gregor Samsa posted:

Given the way the Syrian revolution seems to be going, I have to think that putting up this picture (and the others like it that I've seen) puts these guys in line for an extremely unpleasant end.

As opposed to everything else they've done for the last 3 years. People got tortured to death for protesting, yet there's still a full militant uprising against the government. I think their personal safety is largely secondary to their goal of getting rid of Assad.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Given he was captured by Pro-regime milita, Syria making backroom deals with ISIS isn't out of the question? Bought as slaves or something, maybe? How strange.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Libluini posted:

According to us, neither Afghanistan, nor Israel or the Kosovo, are active war zones right now. If you disagree, I suggest writing a stern letter to our government explaining your viewpoint.

Afghanistan was acknowledged to be a war after we killed around 100 civilians in 2009 and had to find a way to not hold the soldiers involved responsible, Israel's war with Lebanon in 2006 was called a war, the Kosovo conflict was called a war as well. During all of these wars we exported arms into the areas.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Maybe he was captured when ISIS took whatever military base he was held at? A prisoner swap or other exchange deal between ISIS and the regime seems pretty out of character.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Anidav posted:

Given he was captured by Pro-regime milita, Syria making backroom deals with ISIS isn't out of the question? Bought as slaves or something, maybe? How strange.

Americans getting killed by ISIS is PR gold for the regime. It puts the target on terrorism's back instead of Assad's, as well as giving the rebellion a bad name as a whole among the west. Not to mention this stunt gives ISIS leverage and makes this whole situation in Iraq politically toxic as gently caress since they have another American in hand and are prepared to execute him. Assad wants to be in a position where people both inside and outside Syria look at the situation and say "Well, he's not perfect, but he's necessary to keep the terrorists at bay," and he's bolstered ISIS and done all he can to make that a reality. This fits right in line with him releasing jihadist prisoners from Sednaya prison right when protests were first kicking off, and not strategically bombing ISIS the way they do the FSA. I'm sure as soon as the US started bombing in Iraq, the regime was like "Man, I bet you guys wished you could get your hands on some Americans right now. Well hey, as it turns out,"

For some context on this, here's an article done by a guy who was a Syrian diplomat for decades that expands on how the regime thinks when it comes to ISIS.

http://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/menasource/inside-assad-s-playbook-time-and-terror#.U9AVhi5hN19.facebook

door Door door posted:

Maybe he was captured when ISIS took whatever military base he was held at? A prisoner swap or other exchange deal between ISIS and the regime seems pretty out of character.

He was at a branch in Damascus. Most likely Branch 215, which is where Caro was last seen, and is the most notorious. No way ISIS broke him out of there .Pretty sure the regime has sold weapons and things like that to ISIS as well, so it's not like the routes aren't there. They sell things to the FSA as well.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Do we know he was held in Damascus?

Would be curious to see the results of Global Post's investigation, but who knows if they'll release it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Xandu posted:

Do we know he was held in Damascus?

Would be curious to see the results of Global Post's investigation, but who knows if they'll release it.

Not for a fact, but it's where they've sent every American and every "VIP" type prisoner that I've heard about. Pretty sure that a lot of the sources GlobalPost went on publicly released their information, but I need to dig into that some more. I definitely remember it being common knowledge that Foley was in regime custody.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

Afghanistan was acknowledged to be a war after we killed around 100 civilians in 2009 and had to find a way to not hold the soldiers involved responsible, Israel's war with Lebanon in 2006 was called a war, the Kosovo conflict was called a war as well. During all of these wars we exported arms into the areas.

OK, do you have actual quotes backing this up, or are you just going by "I'm sure they sold them something during this time"-logic?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

With the west ramping up funding and support for the Kurds, is there a belief in the West that Peshmerga will advance out of Kurdistan to confront ISIS or is it accepted that the funds & weapons are for 'defensive' purposes?

Obviously the Kurds aren't enamoured with ISIS, but somehow I can't see Kurdish forces occupying Sunni areas for any length of time.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I forgot. Egypt got their :troll: moment in the spotlight thanks to Ferguson.

quote:

The Egyptian foreign ministry has said it is closely watching developments in the US city of Ferguson following clashes between security forces and protesters over the murder of African American teenager Mike Brown last week.
It has called on US authorities to exercise restraint and deal with the protests in accordance with US and international standards, foreign ministry spokesperson Ambassador Badr Abdel-Atti told state news agency MENA.

Abdel-Atti said Egypt was closely following reactions to the violence, including a statement by UN General Secretary Ban-Ki Moon, who demanded self-restraint and respect for the right to free assembly and expression.

The foreign ministry hopes investigations will reveal the truth about Mike Brown's murder, Abdel-Atti added.

Reminds of the Turkish protests, when Assad got to tell Turkey to respect human rights and the protesters demands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

biglads posted:

With the west ramping up funding and support for the Kurds, is there a belief in the West that Peshmerga will advance out of Kurdistan to confront ISIS or is it accepted that the funds & weapons are for 'defensive' purposes?

Obviously the Kurds aren't enamoured with ISIS, but somehow I can't see Kurdish forces occupying Sunni areas for any length of time.

Depends on how they treat the Sunnis, I guess. Kurds being gracious winners would help their cause a whole lot. Kurds will be preferable to ISIS for the moment, anyway.

Right now, though, the peshmerga are the only ones who've been willing to fight, so they're the only game in town. I'm sure the US will support other groups when they demonstrate their usefulness.

• Locked thread