Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Virigoth posted:

Is there any logic or reasoning behind letting competitive MM end in a tie? It's really frustrating to play a really close, equal skill level match and have it end in a tie.

Well you still gain positive ELO.

This already exists multiple times in GO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Virigoth posted:

Is there any logic or reasoning behind letting competitive MM end in a tie? It's really frustrating to play a really close, equal skill level match and have it end in a tie.

Believe it or not most people don't want to be forced to play another third of a match over and over. We used to have it and goonmans and it quickly became very unpopular.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Ephedra posted:

Played loving quake online via M-player.. Haha

I remember playing hldm right before I finally got cable Internet. I really liked the VIP hl poo poo whatever it was. (No, not cs vip maps)

That was a TFC map and yeah it was excellent. Endless fun being that guy that spent the entire map with a fully charged sniper rifle with the red dot hidden in the brake lights of the escape car until the VIP came along and then one shotting him :smug:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Necc0 posted:

Believe it or not most people don't want to be forced to play another third of a match over and over. We used to have it and goonmans and it quickly became very unpopular.

I guess I can believe that, it just seems a shame to not have some sort of system where you do a win by 2 up to 20 wins and then it goes to single round dumpster brawling winner take all. Hell, even if at 15-15 it went to sudden death that'd be ok with me.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

Virigoth posted:

Probably because tie breakers in CS are theoretically infinite. There's not really a way to do a fair "sudden death". Because of the nature of attack/defend, it's not fair to say "okay this team attacks, this team defends, whoever takes this round takes the game." You have to play both sides, it's like baseball. You have to get your chance to bat.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Coleman posted:

Probably because tie breakers in CS are theoretically infinite. There's not really a way to do a fair "sudden death". Because of the nature of attack/defend, it's not fair to say "okay this team attacks, this team defends, whoever takes this round takes the game." You have to play both sides, it's like baseball. You have to get your chance to bat.

One round. Knifes only. Fox. No items. Final Destination.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Coleman posted:

Uh, knife at mid is always fair

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Sudden death overtime will be resolved with a series of skill testing questions.

If a CT leaves spawn at a movement rate of 250 and a T leaves spawn at a movement rate of 220....

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
A single round of warioware would be loving perfect for sudden death.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Pfft, just use CGS overtime rules. Play one round with $16k. Doesn't matter if the other team gets to play CT nuke or something. :downs:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Also in a game mode where players are punished for leaving early, it is kind of unreasonable to expect everyone to be able to play for potentially 90 to 120 minutes in a single game. I think back in the wex days there was an OT nuke game that went close to 2 hours where at the end a majority of the players in the game were subs because lol no one wants to play 60 loving rounds on nuke.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

astr0man posted:

Also in a game mode where players are punished for leaving early, it is kind of unreasonable to expect everyone to be able to play for potentially 90 to 120 minutes in a single game. I think back in the wex days there was an OT nuke game that went close to 2 hours where at the end a majority of the players in the game were subs because lol no one wants to play 60 loving rounds on nuke.

I remember seeing this on reddit a while back.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

sorry I picked all the good players for that goonman stumbletron, the other guy was a rubbish captain

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
Well he picked me first so that much I knew

I hit like 3 good shots so aside from the dizziness I did get something out of it

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

The Flying Fish posted:

sorry I picked all the good players for that goonman stumbletron, the other guy was a rubbish captain

Sounds like I did the right thing in not joining because I am awfully awful.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I'll just leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pGxjW8cnfQ

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!

Spudd posted:

Sounds like I did the right thing in not joining because I am awfully awful.

You would've been fine, it was the most chill stomping ever.

As a bunch of Novas(?) against a mix of DMG-Global we tried for ninjas but got the timing wrong over and over again.
I think we managed a Zeus kill too

e: we should try and get a lowskill pug together sometime. I think we have 6-7 ranked below AK so far, if anyone wants in this would be a good time to join the group

Stumbletron fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 20, 2014

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
I got my ten competitive wins and got ranked silver elite master. I've never played in a party, and I am poo poo at the game, but I am receptive to learning, and I listen and try to do what I am told. I would definitely be down for a lowskill pug group if I'm not too low skill.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Stumbletron posted:

You would've been fine, it was the most chill stomping ever.

As a bunch of Novas(?) against a mix of DMG-Global we tried for ninjas but got the timing wrong over and over again.
I think we managed a Zeus kill too

e: we should try and get a lowskill pug together sometime. I think we have 6-7 ranked below AK so far, if anyone wants in this would be a good time to join the group

I'd be up for this, I seem to be eternally stuck between 3 and 4 star

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
I'm going to try to knock out my last 3 wins to get my group displayed in the next couple of days. I'm expecting to be around silver 4 or silver elite based on the ranks of the people I am being matched with. I'll be down for low skill fun.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

Jeoh posted:

Uh, knife at mid is always fair
Um, no it isn't. I have an expensive knife, it grants me extra knifing range and one hit kill slash to all bodyparts.

I'll win every time.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
M-player? Pfft. DWANGO was the poo poo.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Pirated Rainbow 6(and Quake and AoE) on The Zone or get out

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
How do I become an ESEA invitee agai n I forget

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I AM BRAWW posted:

Mine some bitcoins

Burgo
Jun 1, 2008

I AM BRAWW posted:

[!]

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Necc0 posted:

3 rounds of iceworld is the only tiebreaker worth talkin about (no freeze time)

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

mcvey posted:

Pirated Rainbow 6(and Quake and AoE) on The Zone or get out

Descent on Kali. :smug:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

down with slavery posted:

3 rounds of iceworld is the only tiebreaker worth talkin about (no freeze time)

If you excuse the pun! AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAaaaaaaa

Cuntpunch posted:

Descent on Kali. :smug:

I will play (and own you at) Descent any day of the week. Still my favourite game ever.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I hate it when you have a mission and the other team ends up surrendering. Like, come on, let the slaughter happen

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

App13 posted:

I hate it when you have a mission and the other team ends up surrendering. Like, come on, let the slaughter happen

I had a mission to win 16 rounds on Castle, I needed 1 more but we were losing 15-4 or something and I convinced the entire other team to let us win the one round I needed so that I didn't have to play another match on Castle. I told them if they let me win the one round I'd just run toward them with my knife out for the rest of the rounds.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Just won a game on Mirage, my mission reward? Win 16 rounds on mirage.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
idk where else to ask this so can anyone tell me whether

should be able to get more than 25-35 fps in this game. I just assumed it wasn't a good enough thing to get more but somebody told me earlier it should get way more.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

stickyfngrdboy posted:

should be able to get more than 25-35 fps in this game. I just assumed it wasn't a good enough thing to get more but somebody told me earlier it should get way more.

That's a laptop right? I wouldn't think you should be able to play with much FPS on those specs.

But yea try lowest settings, maybe you should be able to get more..

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 20, 2014

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Could be the card overheating?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

hello internet posted:

Even on lowest settings?

yeah

Thom P. Tiers posted:

That's a laptop right? I wouldn't think you should be able to play with much FPS on those specs.

yeah it's a laptop and I never expected to get brilliant fps but I thought I'd check if there was a way to get more, no biggy cos it won't make me play any better.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

hello internet posted:

Could be the card overheating?

oh I see yeah maybe I could check that, although I only put some therm on a couple of weeks ago. Thanks anyway I'll give it a go.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
A new command was created a couple of patches ago that displays some figure that indicates if overheating is a problem.

- Added experimental cpu_frequency_monitoring convar to detect thermal throttling. If you have CS:GO performance problems on Windows, add “+cpu_frequency_monitoring 2″ to the CS:GO command line to see if CPU thermal throttling is an issue. If the displayed CPU frequency percentage drops below about 80-85% then you may have a problem with your CPU slowing down due to overheating. If it drops below 50-55% then you may have a serious problem. CPU overheating can be caused by overclocking, insufficient cooling, insufficient airflow, failing or dirty fans, or other causes. The CPU frequency results are displayed with cl_showfps or net_graph. For more detail see https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2715-YIPD-6873

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

oh I see yeah maybe I could check that, although I only put some therm on a couple of weeks ago. Thanks anyway I'll give it a go.

I'm not sure how old the laptop is but it could be full of dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

bpower posted:

A new command was created a couple of patches ago that displays some figure that indicates if overheating is a problem.

- Added experimental cpu_frequency_monitoring convar to detect thermal throttling. If you have CS:GO performance problems on Windows, add “+cpu_frequency_monitoring 2″ to the CS:GO command line to see if CPU thermal throttling is an issue. If the displayed CPU frequency percentage drops below about 80-85% then you may have a problem with your CPU slowing down due to overheating. If it drops below 50-55% then you may have a serious problem. CPU overheating can be caused by overclocking, insufficient cooling, insufficient airflow, failing or dirty fans, or other causes. The CPU frequency results are displayed with cl_showfps or net_graph. For more detail see https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2715-YIPD-6873

yeah it was this that made me take it to bits and put new paste on it and clean it out, my % went down to 31.something and the fps would drop to under 10. lowest it goes since then is 89, so it's not the cpu. Thanks anyway :]

• Locked thread