Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You'll be grateful for a pale imitation of the freedom you enjoyed a mere 15 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Thoguh posted:

I don't think anybody is giving the TSA props for it. Just excited that it exists.

Exactly.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
About a year ago in BHM I heard three TSOs standing around and bitching about the sequester and how they should just walk "no one is qualified to do what we do so america would freeze up if we did that".

I'm usually pretty strong on the side of whoever is striking for just about any reason. Except the TSA. gently caress everything about the TSA.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Aristotle Animes posted:

gently caress everything about the TSA.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Aristotle Animes posted:

gently caress everything about the TSA.

AMEN!

Free wi-fi at KSFO is :krad: . I just downloaded Fore Flight mobile and am updating all the maps so hopefully I can track my flight, approach and departure patterns as I connect at DEN on my way to GRR.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 15, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Wish someone can make a :tsa: emoticon

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

caberham posted:

Wish someone can make a :tsa: emoticon

We already have one.

:happyelf:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I've generally had a good experience with tsa on a personal level. I mean it's all theater, I play my part and we get on with it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Xguard86 posted:

I've generally had a good experience with tsa on a personal level. I mean it's all theater, I play my part and we get on with it.

I see it as a complexity and hindrance dragging costs up. tsa policy is not just for America and it affects the rest of the world.

If it wasn't the no liquid rule I would be able to hand carry all sorts of beer and wines (duty free doesn't count)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Oh ya it's like the worst kind of waste. Agree there

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

caberham posted:

If it wasn't the no liquid rule I would be able to hand carry all sorts of beer and wines (duty free doesn't count)

They fill growlers (basically beer to-go) and even sell bottled beer that you can carry on at PDX since it's past security. I killed 32 oz of beer on my flight home :allears:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

air- posted:

They fill growlers (basically beer to-go) and even sell bottled beer that you can carry on at PDX since it's past security. I killed 32 oz of beer on my flight home :allears:

One of the reasons I love flying through CLE is Great Lakes Brewing.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Thoguh posted:

I don't think anybody is giving the TSA props for it. Just excited that it exists.

TSA didn't even come up with it. A consulting firm did while they were hired. (surprise surprise)

Catchy Tuna
Dec 4, 2005

Vomik posted:

TSA didn't even come up with it. A consulting firm did while they were hired. (surprise surprise)

This is basically a thread for people in consulting, let's pretend to be blameless.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

The only hassle i have ever given them is before I got PRE, I always opted out and made them pat me down. gently caress em', touch my butt i don't need the rads. But I'm courteous to the point of saying thank you and have a good day. I don't have a problem with someone having a job to do, it's what's behind them. If it was a top official, yeah I might let him know what i think of tsa but some work a day citizen.... not their fault. The nazis are few and far between. I comply and don't give them a reason to target me and I've never had a problem.

If it wasn't for the liquids, i wouldn't check a bag half the time. And that really ticks me off.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Aristotle Animes posted:

The only hassle i have ever given them is before I got PRE, I always opted out and made them pat me down. gently caress em', touch my butt i don't need the rads. But I'm courteous to the point of saying thank you and have a good day. I don't have a problem with someone having a job to do, it's what's behind them. If it was a top official, yeah I might let him know what i think of tsa but some work a day citizen.... not their fault. The nazis are few and far between. I comply and don't give them a reason to target me and I've never had a problem.

If it wasn't for the liquids, i wouldn't check a bag half the time. And that really ticks me off.

You get a much larger dose during the flight than the back scatter scanners and the millimeter wave systems are non ionizing.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Taken as "don't waste my time" for stopping me for even a moment. The point is that it is completely unnecessary and ineffective to boot. Plus I would never trust them to maintain a moped much less a highly sensitive piece of equipment with potential to harm.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Aristotle Animes posted:

This was (and still is when I don't get precheck) my approach as well. I am always polite to the front line workers, and most of them are polite back. The TSA guys at my home airport are so used to me opting out that they put on a fresh set of gloves as soon as they see me in line. My issue is with the law, not them.

The worst airport experience I have had with TSA is hands down BWI. Those guys are assholes and actually get upset when you opt out.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Opting out en masse would be an interesting protest. I'm sorry sir, I'm afraid I need to insist you get new gloves. If I'm going to be groped for my own protection, I insist on fresh gloves.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Opting out en masse would be an interesting protest. I'm sorry sir, I'm afraid I need to insist you get new gloves. If I'm going to be groped for my own protection, I insist on fresh gloves.

There was a movement to clog things up by doing this when they first instituted the screening theater nonsense. Sadly it seems to be mostly dead now.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just FYI, if you're opting out because of health concerns you're an idiot. The radiation is millimeter waves with very low power, as in magnitudes lower than a mobile phone's output. You're getting on a plane flying at 30k feet where there's an actual increase of ionizing radiation and you're worried about radiation energy equal to a mobile phone call 100 yards away. It's on the technophobe level of electrosmog.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I was on a biz trip with a coworker and he opted out. Now he's a tinfoil hat, Alex Jones, ancient aliens are really demons, type of guy. Nice guy but he has some alternate beliefs. The agent who patted him down decided to debate him on the health concerns, etc of the scan. The agent picked the wrong guy to try to convince.

Waiting to board a flight to Orlando for work. As much as I love working for my company flying in and out of a major tourist trap can be a pain.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
I just traveled with one too, the less crazy variant. "Just exercising my rights in protest of unreasonable search and seizure". He also checked a handgun so he could conceal carry for a 3 day vacation. I guess standing in long lines in pursuit of hollow victories is something people are into.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I do find it a little bit presumptuous that the TSA agent would try to convince someone to not opt out. You have an opt out policy. People should be able to use it, even if their reasons are silly.

Then again, TSA.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Arzakon posted:

I just traveled with one too, the less crazy variant. "Just exercising my rights in protest of unreasonable search and seizure". He also checked a handgun so he could conceal carry for a 3 day vacation. I guess standing in long lines in pursuit of hollow victories is something people are into.

Of things with which to be annoyed, someone deliberately exercising what liberties they have in peaceful protest of liberties taken is not something about which I'd get upset. Then again I'm an Iraq War vet, so we're all about hollow victories. :v:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I just think the whole thing is stupid security theater so opting out is my passive aggressive method of voicing my discontent.

Ynglaur posted:

Of things with which to be annoyed, someone deliberately exercising what liberties they have in peaceful protest of liberties taken is not something about which I'd get upset. Then again I'm an Iraq War vet, so we're all about hollow victories. :v:

Also this.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I bet the tsa guy was bored of getting blank stares when telling people to put their laptops in a second empty bin.

He probably still shouldn't have done it but I imagine that discussion was better than the 25 phrases he is limited to using the rest of his shift.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Ynglaur posted:

Nothing annoying about it. I skated through and was enjoying a Egg McMuffin watching the interesting fellow get fondled. If standing in a long line to check his firearm and getting his balls touched make him feel like he is defending our freedoms, go nuts dude.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Arzakon posted:

Nothing annoying about it. I skated through and was enjoying a Egg McMuffin watching the interesting fellow get fondled. If standing in a long line to check his firearm and getting his balls touched make him feel like he is defending our freedoms, go nuts dude.

Had we been having a war of words, you would have won with this retort. Touché.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Last minute travel bookings suck. Ed looking forward to a full week at home. Instead I get to fly to Houston tomorrow and spend 2 days outside. It'll be my first flight with TSA Precheck so I guess that's good...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

gently caress Houston, condolences.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
If another houstonite (houstonian?) tries to get me to eat a goddamned kolache again I'm going to flip the gently caress out. Like I get that a donut with a sausage in the middle is a mostly yummy idea; I've had some that are quite good. But I don't want to eat them every day and stop acting like I'm insulting you because I don't want to eat your deep fried pork pastry at 7AM every day.

I think I need a break

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Thanks travel goon. Awesome post card from Seattle :glomp:

Who wants a post card from ASIA

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

oxsnard posted:

If another houstonite (houstonian?) tries to get me to eat a goddamned kolache again I'm going to flip the gently caress out. Like I get that a donut with a sausage in the middle is a mostly yummy idea; I've had some that are quite good. But I don't want to eat them every day and stop acting like I'm insulting you because I don't want to eat your deep fried pork pastry at 7AM every day.

I think I need a break

Everyone knows real kolaches are made with fruit. :colbert:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mackieman posted:

Everyone knows real kolaches are made with fruit. :colbert:

True, what's this sausage poo poo? This is a kolache

This is a pig in a blanket.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

This thread is the best :allears:

I mentioned kolaches one time in the east coast and everyone just looked at me like I'm from another planet.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

air- posted:

This thread is the best :allears:

I mentioned kolaches one time in the east coast and everyone just looked at me like I'm from another planet.

I'm honestly surprised that airlines haven't caught on to kolaches (including the pig in the blanket type). They're cheap, store and re-heat easily, and have the same approximate kill value as one of those salt bombs United likes to serve for lunch.

What I wouldn't give for a decent turkey sammich.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I had a shockingly decent salad on Delta on Monday.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I had a shockingly decent salad on Delta on Monday.

If it was US domestic first, I had the same one a few weeks ago. The stromboli ("pizza empanada") is surprisingly edible too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

If it was US domestic first, I had the same one a few weeks ago. The stromboli ("pizza empanada") is surprisingly edible too.

Yeah it was some sort of "mediterranean" thing with olives and feta and white beans.