Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

SHISHKABOB posted:

yes like a loving cosmic horror monstrosity trying to take over his brain

Oh wait no sorry Jack is a 100% pure not good character. People are either good or not good. If they are not good then we hate them utterly and entirely.

:jerkbag:

That's not true he's not 100 percent not good. The one good thing you can say about him is at least he's not BoxBot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Have Jack and Boxbot ever been seen in a room together?

makes u think

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
If I had zero past knowledge of Jack, just this story arc so far, I would peg him as "Douche you must overcome/drown as he tries to do something dastardly."

Since this comic toys with our expectations Jack will be shown as an exemplary character now. Just need to wait...

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Right now, he's the only sane person on the boat, albeit not a particularly rational one. It's a girl whose grip on her reality-warping 'abilities' are reliant on an insomniac who looks like she's not too far from blacking out and on being under as little stress as possible. On a boat. Not at the dock.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Gamma and Zimmerman don't mind him, I'm sure. They are already shipping him and Annie.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jack isnt the worst yet. He could still pop his collar.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SynthOrange posted:

Jack isnt the worst yet. He could still pop his collar.

Nah, even then there are still ways to become worse

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's kinda understandable that Jack would be freaked out by what Zimmy's powers can do more than anyone else, given how she hosed up his entire life for like a year by accident.

But on the other hand, that chin-scruff, that shirt, that girlfriend, that attitude. Doooooooooooooooooooouche.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Awww, poor Gamma. She's just so happy to be on a boat with friends, but Jack's right it's really not safe for her and Zimmy to be there.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 20, 2014

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
I'm still not entirely sure what's wrong with the shirt, is this some American thing?

The chin-scruff's kinda understandable as well, every kid who can grow a little bum-fluff tries to get away with it and fails. (God knows I tried :negative:)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Actually, this shirt's fine, it was more the earlier polo shirt on the dock that was groanworthy.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Goons react negatively to any form of public self-expression. Jack's an rear end but his facefur is fine.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

pksage posted:

I forget -- does ether exist in all water, just kind of hanging out, or is it collected and dispersed as part of evaporation/precipitation specifically? If it's the former, you'd think Zimmy could just take a shower and be fine.

Showers indeed don't work. It had to do with ether in the air being brought down by the rain, which made me wonder if that all ends up in the ocean.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'd imagine it's cause rain is rain and a shower is a friggin shower. The ether is in rain water but not in shower water.

(magic)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Darth TNT posted:

Showers indeed don't work. It had to do with ether in the air being brought down by the rain, which made me wonder if that all ends up in the ocean.

Fluoride in the tap water :tinfoil:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Smoky Bandana posted:

I'm still not entirely sure what's wrong with the shirt, is this some American thing?

The chin-scruff's kinda understandable as well, every kid who can grow a little bum-fluff tries to get away with it and fails. (God knows I tried :negative:)

He looks vaguely like a young college age frat kid. Goons are rushing to denounce the hated dudebro look alike and are seriously running this poo poo into the ground in the process.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Awww, poor Gamma. She's just so happy to be on a boat with friends, but Jack's right it's really not face for her and Zimmy to be there.

Yeah, you can tell it was Gamma that really wanted to get out and socialize with other people that weren't just Zimmy (not to mention with some boyzzz, as is made apparent). Whether or not Jack, Zimmy, or some weird combination of the two wind up making the cruise into some sort of Lovecraftian nightmare seems to pretty much be the question right now..

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I hope Zimmy barfs all over the place.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SynthOrange posted:

I hope Zimmy barfs all over the place.

She's gonna barf cockroaches and spiders and centipedes that will go on to devour everyone in the ballroom.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
maybe since annie has a similar, if not as powerful, effect on zimmy she'll go hang out with her while gamma goes and gets her dance on and we'll get some weirdness that's not necessarily bad along the lines of Divine again.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Chard posted:

Goons react negatively to any form of public self-expression. Jack's an rear end but his facefur is fine.

You've got it backwards. Jack's OK but his facefur is terrible.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Posted by Tom a couple of hours ago on his tumblr thingy.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I was gonna say "wtf why a Chocobo?" but I was forgetting the green speed boost bird.

Samus how do you even fit all that hair in the helmet!

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

yeah thats a little dachora, a grown one is as big as she is

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

A reminder that Parley's got a vintage Metroid 2 poster in her bedroom.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Chronojam posted:

A reminder that Parley's got a vintage Metroid 2 poster in her bedroom.

I thought it was Parley in some crazy Court Protector armor for a sec

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

I still think it's Parley and a tic toc.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That's a cassowary.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

maswastaken posted:

I still think it's Parley and a tic toc.

It is, but they're posing as Samus and a dachora.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Apparently Annie doesn't dance unless you get her all hopped up on magic liquor first.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Apparently Annie doesn't dance unless you get her all hopped up on magic liquor first.

Come to think of it, sneaking in some elf-booze and spiking the punch with it would be a very forest-medium thing to do.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I've been keeping up with Gunnerkrigg since the beginning but I really, truly hope something actually happens soon. The last chapter and what we've seen of this one so far have been coma-inducing, except for the jolt of horrified shock at Jack's chin-parasite.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

It's ok, I'm the same way

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Oxxidation posted:

I've been keeping up with Gunnerkrigg since the beginning but I really, truly hope something actually happens soon. The last chapter and what we've seen of this one so far have been coma-inducing, except for the jolt of horrified shock at Jack's chin-parasite.

I think some of us see the last chapter as a "calm before the storm" (possibly literally), so you'll probably get your wish soon.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

These slow burning chapters are usually much more enjoyable when you go back and read them through as a complete collection of pages. When you're just getting one page of no text and scene-establishing art every couple days, it can be maddening.

You could just wait a few weeks and read it all at once. Good luck with that, though.

Flops
Mar 28, 2010

Look at all these lovely posts!
I'd like to request an avatar of Annie in the chair. I can't stop cracking up about it. "I'm so happy everyone else is having fun!"

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

Don't be such a baby.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Oxxidation posted:

Things are happening though? Maybe your expectations are in the wrong place I dunno. To me, Gunnerkrigg has always been a lot like Harry Potter in that yes there is an overarching plot but we do not, in fact, require Voldemort to be loving poo poo up for things to be considered to be "happening". The last chapter was ultimately about very little except "drat look at how far these kids have come, they're really growing into their roles". That IS stuff happening. These kinds of stories, characterization is things happening just as much as "Coyote being a nefarious dickhead to Ysengrin" is things happening.

Or that's how I look at it. I hope that was mostly coherent :v:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Flops posted:

I'd like to request an avatar of Annie in the chair. I can't stop cracking up about it. "I'm so happy everyone else is having fun!"

Does this work?

Edit: And flipped to aim it at posts:

Edit2: Just saw that the along with recent downtime to improve forum stability the avatar size limits have been increased to 100kb and 150x150...but I'm too lazy to redo that to net a bit more curtain and half of a dancing girl. This does mean however that someone can get an animated avatar depicting the best page of Gunnerkrigg.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Things are happening though? Maybe your expectations are in the wrong place I dunno. To me, Gunnerkrigg has always been a lot like Harry Potter in that yes there is an overarching plot but we do not, in fact, require Voldemort to be loving poo poo up for things to be considered to be "happening". The last chapter was ultimately about very little except "drat look at how far these kids have come, they're really growing into their roles". That IS stuff happening. These kinds of stories, characterization is things happening just as much as "Coyote being a nefarious dickhead to Ysengrin" is things happening.

Or that's how I look at it. I hope that was mostly coherent :v:

75% of the last chapter was a dick-toad recounting stuff we already knew. The art wasn't even that impressive! I'm expecting the pace to quicken a bit here if only because Zimmy is involved, but Gunnerkrigg is often derided for its glacial pace and it's only lately that I've started to agree.