Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Honestly, I'd just let them sort their poo poo out. They'll be best buds again in a couple of days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Hi. I usually don't post here but sometimes I come to take a look at your pictures. Before I met my girlfriend, I didn't know much about rats. Since then, I love these little angels...

I felt the urge to post something here.

Yesterday, her rat died. She was out of the city for some days and I was taking care of Totoro, her one year and a half male rat. He was on his second treatment of Doxycycline in 2 months. Then, he suddenly had a respiratory distress and called the vet emergency. I drove to the vet office and the prognosis: need to be euthanized.

RIP Totoro, you'll be missed alot. You were super cool. She never had a rat this social and kind.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I had a question on this cage http://www.amazon.com/Petco-PETCO-Rat-Manor-Habitat/dp/B001VJ0APE/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Specifically, would it be too small for 4 rats as opposed to two?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Breaky posted:

I had a question on this cage http://www.amazon.com/Petco-PETCO-Rat-Manor-Habitat/dp/B001VJ0APE/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Specifically, would it be too small for 4 rats as opposed to two?
Definitely. That's about the size of my travel cage and I've only got two.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Totoro was a beautiful rat. I can see how happy he was in the photos. I'm sorry you lost him. It's always hard. :(

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cardiovorax posted:

Definitely. That's about the size of my travel cage and I've only got two.

Your travel cage is almost 3 feet tall?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Breaky posted:

Your travel cage is almost 3 feet tall?
Pretty nearly a meter, yeah. By travel cage I mean the smaller cage I can disassemble and take on vacation, not the box to stuff them in on the way.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Pretty nearly a meter, yeah. By travel cage I mean the smaller cage I can disassemble and take on vacation, not the box to stuff them in on the way.

Ohhh ok that makes more sense!

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Big Bug Hug posted:

Totoro was a beautiful rat. I can see how happy he was in the photos. I'm sorry you lost him. It's always hard. :(

Thanks for your words. Appreciated.

I'm planning to gift my girlfriend with a new cage in 2-3 months, before she has another(s) rat(s).

I took a closer look at Martin's Cage. I want one! I'm in love with them now. But drat I'm in Canada and it would cost me 100$ in shipping only! And Amazon.ca doesn't have a nice choice.

Can anyone suggest me something? Didn't take a look in petshops around here but I'm sure their prices would be inflated alot. Local adds doesn't have anything nice.

Thanks! :)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Can anyone suggest me something? Didn't take a look in petshops around here but I'm sure their prices would be inflated alot. Local adds doesn't have anything nice.
Depending on where you go they're actually not bad. I got mine at a pet store for 120$ or so, it's got three giant platforms and is nearly as tall as I am. Plenty of space to hang up hammocks, a wheel and put in some little houses.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Thanks for your words. Appreciated.

I'm planning to gift my girlfriend with a new cage in 2-3 months, before she has another(s) rat(s).

I took a closer look at Martin's Cage. I want one! I'm in love with them now. But drat I'm in Canada and it would cost me 100$ in shipping only! And Amazon.ca doesn't have a nice choice.

Thanks! :)

https://www.chinchilla.ca operates out of Brampton, ON and they have some awesome cages. If you are local, you can just pick yours up! We got out Critter Nation there.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Patchouli Patrol posted:

https://www.chinchilla.ca operates out of Brampton, ON and they have some awesome cages. If you are local, you can just pick yours up! We got out Critter Nation there.

Thanks for your info...

What's the consensus on this one?

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00IFXFWS4/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_p199_d0_i4

I'm on a tight budget and plan to get 2 females only. A local breeder told me that it was okay for 2 females. I don't care about the accessories/litter/food in the bundle, I already have some better stuff from the last rat.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

For what you'd be paying, you could get better. They will chew the everliving crap out of the plastic parts.

If you're on a tight budget, this one might be decent: http://www.amazon.ca/Ware-Chew-Proof-4-Story-Hamster/dp/B003SZSZM4/

Patchouli Patrol fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 22, 2014

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I saw it too. Isn't the level too narrow?

17W x 12.75D x 24H

12 inches depth seems narrow too.

2 cage calculators tell me this cage isn't big enough for 2.

What to do :(

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Looks pretty small to me, too. That's more of a hamster cage than a rat cage. If you want to keep two rats you really ought to look for something with dimensions of at least 50 x 50 x 100 centimeters, with multiple levels. Anything less is just too cramped and stressful.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Whoops! Didn't look too closely at the dimensions!

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Apparently honey is loving scary. I just tried to offer one of my rats a little dab of honey on a spoon. He sniffed it a bit and then made a jump backwards like I had tapped him on the nose. Now he keeps doing it whenever I get close to him with the spoon.

:sigh: Rats.

Sorry, I know that this is several days old, but I had to reply. The first rat I ever had reacted so adorably, I now look forward to each new rat's first experience with honey. So, this rat was named Chuhi, and I decided to give her honey one day. It was on a spoon, and she sniffed it, and shoved her little face right in there. Obviously, she was not a fan of the stickiness, so both front paws came up to wipe it off. And then she put her paws back in the bedding, which made the bedding stick to her, as well. And then she making all these weird movements to try to get it off, all the while still licking honey that was in her whiskers. Almost every rat I've had since has also had a tarbaby sort of experience with honey. It is super-cute. Second only to blowing bubbles at rats.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
My rats run around like crazy whenever I give them something sweet/sugary. It's like they're hopped up on something. Bananas, a chocolate chip, a crumb of cake. Reaction is in proportion to sweetness/elusiveness of the treat. If I gave them honey, they would never stop running around and begging me for more.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's adorable, I'll have to try that on my other rat.

In other news, my rats are extremely frustrated by my fingernails. They smell like they should be edible, but they're not, and it's driving them crazy. They keep nibbling on them and trying to carry them away, but they're too hard to be fun to chew on and too well-attached to stash in a hidey-hole somewhere. Right now they've given up and are staring at my fingers in annoyance, but that won't stop them from trying again tomorrow.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

If all goes well (read: if she's not snatched up before Thursday morning) I will be reserving this little monster for my husband's birthday.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

OMG :D

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

I KNOWWWW. A downunder dumbo with a massive headspot. I think we're going to call her Otter.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Can't wait to give 2 rats and a brand-new cage fully equipped to my girlfriend for her birthday in October. The breeder should have them late that month. Should be a nice surprise.

drat it's hard not to tell her before ahhaha. And I need to hide the new cage for 2 months in my small appartment...

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Can't wait to give 2 rats and a brand-new cage fully equipped to my girlfriend for her birthday in October. The breeder should have them late that month. Should be a nice surprise.

drat it's hard not to tell her before ahhaha. And I need to hide the new cage for 2 months in my small appartment...

Does it flat-pack? Hide it under the bed! Or, gift wrap it REALLY WELL and make it obviously her b day present, and tell her she's not allowed to peek.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Big Bug Hug posted:

Does it flat-pack? Hide it under the bed! Or, gift wrap it REALLY WELL and make it obviously her b day present, and tell her she's not allowed to peek.

I can't hide it under the bed because there's no room to put stuff under. I guess I'll unpack the cage, look if everything is ok and then put it back in the box and use the good old "Don't open the office room closet"... well before the rats are in :)

I'll assemble the cage and all the material before I get the rats.

Question: Would you prefer to get the surprise of a brand-new cage full of rats or would you prefer to go get them at the breeder's (without knowing where we go) and discover the cage at home after?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

ShiroTheSniper posted:

I can't hide it under the bed because there's no room to put stuff under. I guess I'll unpack the cage, look if everything is ok and then put it back in the box and use the good old "Don't open the office room closet"... well before the rats are in :)

I'll assemble the cage and all the material before I get the rats.

Question: Would you prefer to get the surprise of a brand-new cage full of rats or would you prefer to go get them at the breeder's (without knowing where we go) and discover the cage at home after?

If I had the option, I'd prefer to be part of the selection process of the new rats. If you've already put deposits down and that's not the case, then I think cage of rats at home.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Surprise trip to the rat breeder is an A+ classy romantic move, IMO.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Agreed. I like to meet rat people and see where my ratties come from. And it'd be an awesome surprise.

If you haven't already selected them of course.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Ok thanks for your input! :) I guess it will be a surprise trip :)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I have a problem and I thought I'd ask for help here.
I have 3 rat boys. One 2 years-old boy who's been the "alpha male" before his brother passed away and two 6 months old boys, one of them seems to have aspirations to be the "alpha".
The big guy and the little guy has been fighting a lot lately and I suspect it's about the group dominance, so to speak, but I have never had a situation like that before so I don't really know what I'm supposed to do.
It's very clear that they're not playing, big guy doesn't like playing much, and I did find a small healed wound on one of them. I'm afraid that it'll escalate but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do.

Any advice on how to deal with that and what I should be watching out for? Keeping them apart forever doesn't seem like a solution.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 31, 2014

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Are some rats just sneezy? One of my boys occasionally sneezes, never for too long, and his eyes/nose are normal. He's a PEW, if that adds anything. (I tend to stuff him full of dark chocolate when this happens though.)

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

dovetaile posted:

Are some rats just sneezy? One of my boys occasionally sneezes, never for too long, and his eyes/nose are normal. He's a PEW, if that adds anything. (I tend to stuff him full of dark chocolate when this happens though.)

In my experience, yes. You'll learn what's normal for him and when he's actually sick. I think some are more sensitive to environmental things like allergens.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Is it common for older rats to get more nervous about stuff they were okay with before? Mine are about 2 and 2.2years and don't really like coming out of their cage anymore, which I feel bad about because their cage isn't huge (Ferplast Furet plus I think). Not sure if there's anything I can do to help them chill.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fraction posted:

Is it common for older rats to get more nervous about stuff they were okay with before? Mine are about 2 and 2.2years and don't really like coming out of their cage anymore, which I feel bad about because their cage isn't huge (Ferplast Furet plus I think). Not sure if there's anything I can do to help them chill.

Not sure about that but it is a common thing for old male rats to get more lazy and cuddly.
My old boy used to be hyper active but as he got older he mostly likes to eat, sleep and cuddle on my lap while I use my computer.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Hi!

I just got a brand new Rat Resort for 2 futures baby females rats.

Because it's a gift and I'm an amateur, I need to help with the accessories. I'm ok with the food/snacks/bedding. I want to surprise her with a full equip cage. I don't care if I need to buy many things because I've a big budget for her birthday (I'm rich for her eheh).

Here's my questions:

Bed: Is a big ferret hammock ok for 2 rats or should I buy 2 smaller hammock? Should I put them at different levels?

Food bowl (ceramic): Is one is enough or should buy 2? Different level?

Water: One big bottle is enough?

Toys: This is where I need your help. I thought about a little ball (for cats), some little wooden chewtoys, empty toilet paper roll... what else?

Other: The good old tissue box (without the plastic thing) is a must for a weekly shelter to chew on.

Thanks for your inputs, you'll help me make her really happy (and the little ones too)!

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

One big water bottle should be fine for 2 girls. I like to get guinea pig or ferret bottles, because the nozzle is wider and more water comes out per lick than the little tiny rat and mouse ones. But it's totally up to you. I also tended to have more trouble with the small ones being leaky, ymmv.

You'll want as many hammocks as you can get. I used to just cut squares out of old shirts, jeans, and thrift store blankets and clip them up with shower rod hooks. They will get gross and chewed up, and you will probably need to swap them out more often than you're washing their laundry. At least, I did.

As for toys, bird toys are always a big hit. The more crap that's attached to it the more exciting. Mine always liked the wooden ones with a nut in the middle. But basically anything that they can destroy will be hours (minutes...) of entertainment. You might keep a small trash basket or something for paper scraps, little cardboard boxes like from cereal and stuff, or any other trash that's safe for them to chew up. They will feel very special with their own trash can to raid. :3:

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Hi!

I just got a brand new Rat Resort for 2 futures baby females rats.

Because it's a gift and I'm an amateur, I need to help with the accessories. I'm ok with the food/snacks/bedding. I want to surprise her with a full equip cage. I don't care if I need to buy many things because I've a big budget for her birthday (I'm rich for her eheh).

Here's my questions:

Bed: Is a big ferret hammock ok for 2 rats or should I buy 2 smaller hammock? Should I put them at different levels?

Food bowl (ceramic): Is one is enough or should buy 2? Different level?

Water: One big bottle is enough?

Toys: This is where I need your help. I thought about a little ball (for cats), some little wooden chewtoys, empty toilet paper roll... what else?

Other: The good old tissue box (without the plastic thing) is a must for a weekly shelter to chew on.

Thanks for your inputs, you'll help me make her really happy (and the little ones too)!

Beaten, but whatever!

As its a gift I say get a couple of hammocks, but in future you don't need to buy them, just use old fabric or buy cheap fleece to hang up by safety pins. They will get chewed :)

I onky have one food bowl and one bottle. If you get two bottles they will still only use one of them. At the same time. Punching each other in the face for drinking rights :3: Although, having a spare around is great in case you go away for a couple days and want a failsafe, or if one breaks.

Your toy ideas are good. I really just use empty containers, paper bags (for some reason mine love them). I have a sputnik, which is a little igloo thing you can hang or sit on the floor. They like to play in there. But usually just any old thing I find.

Mine like to chew rawhide bones on occasion as a treat. Any cooked bone from your dinner is just as good, though!

You could try a wheel, but not all rats like them, especially once they grow out of baby stage, and they take up a decent amount of space. If you do, get one thats safe for rats - not all are.

Please let us know what your gf says when she finds out! I think its a great present and she'll be thrilled.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 5, 2014

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
I think it's good to have more than one bottle, just in case. I've had bottles randomly stop working before.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks alot for your ideas! Next few weeks I'm going to fully equip that cage! :) Can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

fatticus ratticus