Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Useless posted:

To be honest, I could never understand the reverence people gave Peanuts having only been exposed to it from the 80s on, but these early strips are really charming. Snoopy especially is so much better than the later "He thinks, he talks, he has merchandise" version.

Yeah, I never liked the later stuff either, even as early as the 60s stuff that's being posted, but 50s Peanuts is really charming. The art is way better, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Lowen SoDium posted:

Let me know if you come to Nashville Comicon this year. We can go get our picture taken with Guy Gilchrist together.

Same with me. It's a three hour drive to Nashville, but I'm hoping to go there this year.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Unexplained things appearing in pictures coming up? I'm a little tired of predicting this storyline, as every time it could get interesting it goes out of it's way to not.

"Gee thanks mom and dad, now if only it made calls and let me message my friends and play games like every other kid's 'camera'. But that's fine, I totally love this lovely plastic thing you probably bought from CVS for $5.99."

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Beeg, if you're going to keep doing old MAD stuff, are you going to post the Red Baron comics?

Pickles hates the fabric store, and I don't know why. Fabric stores are cool.

Bleeker still hasn't reached a joke.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

sweetguts posted:

"Gee thanks mom and dad, now if only it made calls and let me message my friends and play games like every other kid's 'camera'. But that's fine, I totally love this lovely plastic thing you probably bought from CVS for $5.99."

Haha holyshit is that thing a film camera?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

don Jaime posted:

Beeg, if you're going to keep doing old MAD stuff, are you going to post the Red Baron comics?

I don't have it. Sorry :(

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
In fairness, film cameras are mad chic for photography buffs. If I gave my younger brother a classic Nikon he'd probably flip his poo poo.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Useless posted:

To be honest, I could never understand the reverence people gave Peanuts having only been exposed to it from the 80s on, but these early strips are really charming. Snoopy especially is so much better than the later "He thinks, he talks, he has merchandise" version.
Yeah, Snoopy was way better back when he was a dog.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sure, that's what an iPhone looks like. :allears:

It's surprising how well this works.

I really can't see why Luann and Bernice are reacting like that. :confused:

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

If Doc Ock is running on his metal arms, why does he still have to make the runny motion with his feet?
Because it's hilarious. :haw:

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic
Diana doesn't see anything odd in the fact that Kit left his wolf behind, supposedly never to return. :rolleyes:

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

She needs to learn that sometimes you just shut up and leave the person alone, particularly if they are your boss.
I'm getting almost as annoyed as June is here. "No, I'm not on anyone's 'side', because I'm a loving adult professional."

Useless posted:

Even within this first year, I'm already starting to get sick of it.

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis
Why the hell should he know when and where she bought it? What's that got to do with liking it?

Candorville

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Johnny Walker posted:

How much do you want to bet that Mike Lester put that Redskins thing in there just because the name is controversial right now and it's an opportunity to be "politically incorrect" in a really petty way? I would bet a lot. A lot is the amount I would bet.

I hate to defend Mike Lester but you're missing the "joke" that the thing he mentions in panel #4 is all of the things in panel #3, ie. politics/sports/women.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 20, 2014

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

She chose... poorly.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Redeye Flight posted:

In fairness, film cameras are mad chic for photography buffs. If I gave my younger brother a classic Nikon he'd probably flip his poo poo.

That is true, if I'd had my own darkroom as a kid I'd probably have lived in it and slowly turned into gollum from the chemicals. Actually why the hell didn't I think of that back then? I was a loving dumb kid. Where were you then Mary? WHERE WERE YOU!?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

I've sort of lost track of the plot in this nth iteration. What's she going to do, find Jill by walking?

Non Sequitur

Dumb.

Heavenly Nostrils

Kliban

I am confuse. :confused:

9 Chickweed Lane 8/20/2003

Christ. Yes, Brooke, :regd08:

Zits

Styx were pretty alright in the early 90s when Dennis DeYoung was still touring with them. I saw two of their shows. They're not too hot nowadays without him.

Kevin & Kell

Yeah, I looked that name up and found this (linked, as it may be deemed slightly :nws:):

http://i.imgur.com/natxVcE.jpg

That image, second from the end on the bottom row had me laughing. "One of these things is not like the other..."

:v:

Is that Grimm back there? Are we done with the old ones for now?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hopefully.

I take it Nemi wouldn't be very fond of Game of Thrones.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (June 1, 1927)

Peanuts (August 23, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Wait, what? The production fell apart all at once and we didn't even get to see it? What a ripoff. We take a lot of piss out of this strip, but usually you can actually follow the story.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (July 6-7, 1925)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm sure when Hugh Jackman signed the X-Men contract he sighed and went "now where do I go to get my hands on some Wolverine comics, this is falling apart."

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm sure when Hugh Jackman signed the X-Men contract he sighed and went "now where do I go to get my hands on some Wolverine comics, this is falling apart."

Pretty sure he was provided a research set by Marvel, no joke.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

:thejoke:

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Well, so much for quietly reminding Modesty she's old anymore.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac

The Creeps

Heathcliff

Poptropica

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Wait, what? The production fell apart all at once and we didn't even get to see it? What a ripoff. We take a lot of piss out of this strip, but usually you can actually follow the story.

He's probably apologizing about leaving Lust for Lisa for Starbuck Jones. "Sorry I saved my acting career," basically.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

If those are drugs, she's not a very good dealer.

is every character in this strip with visible makeup some form of tramp/monster/freak/ne'er-do-well?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Mike du Jour

Monty

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LvK posted:

is every character in this strip with visible makeup some form of tramp/monster/freak/ne'er-do-well?

I always assumed that's what Mrs Degroot's giant lips were about, so I don't know, but I see what you're getting at.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Some samples from "The Lighter Side of the Television Set", the first in the series by Dave Berg from 1961. Sorry the picture quality is poor.

I like this drawing style better.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I think a lot of the perceived harshness of The Lighter Side comes from the realistic figures. The scowls and bug-out eye grimaces stuck on a human-looking character just look really extreme.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm guessing she loves it but howls in anger and pain whenever anybody dies, so it's perfectly reasonable to assume she hates it. People in Game of Thrones tend to die like Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

I was going to make a Detroit joke, but then I remembered the neighbourhood where I grew up didn't look all that different.

Ballard Street

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OT9n_q8BH8

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hopefully.

Not sure on Nemi but we have seen how Cyan feels about it.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Intelligent Life

Is it just me or is the first strip not totally terrible? I mean, it's still dumb GEEKS N JOCKS stuff, but at least it's not showing it as a WAR FOR THE AGES between TWO BITTER ENEMIES. These guys are still friends, and Barry's even inviting Skip along! Though I guess being a few degrees less dumb than Andrew Dobson on the subject isn't really much of an achievement.

I'm not so sure about the idea in the second strip, though, Gwen. I've heard some horror stories from ladies wearing revealing costumes at cons.

Big Nate

I'm with Peter on this one. I'd rather make a fort inside and not lose a third of my blood to mosquitoes, thanks.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ham Shears is all about the Washingtons.

The Dinette Set is gross again.

e: Those two Intelligent Life comics didn't fill me with rage...it's amazing how less terrible it becomes without the stupid mouths.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So is the Phantom using Chatu's reputation to perform the mother of all sting operations?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I need to write my Women's Empowerment article! Help me, male friend!

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Man, I really want to like Ham Shears for how cute it is and how interesting it COULD be, but it seems to have the opposite problem of a lot of strips--everything is just solved way too easily. The protagonists don't look like they're actually going to be challenged by anything at all; there's no tension in just setting up obstacles and blowing them over the next week.

Please don't say they get to the farm, it's a wreck, but a friendly construction company just happens to be moving in next door and having a 99% off on repairs special. Also all the cows milk themselves and the tractors are run by robots.

(granted, it's more likely the author is just eager to get to the actual point of the storyline... and I wonder if it'd feel so weird if it was dragged out to Mandrake levels. Is there no in-between with these things?)

Faude Carfilhiot
Sep 6, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Kunnas has also drawn whole albums on Mick Jagger and the Beatles, plus Finnish literature classics recited by dogs :regd09: get them if you can find them, Mauri Kunnas is great!

That last picture really takes me back, one of the first books I can remember being obsessed with as a child, was written by Kunnas. The book was about a family of anthropomorphic crocodiles who also happened to be vampires and when I was 3-4 years old that book was pretty much my Bible. Thanks for reminding me about it, Nenonen.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Selachian posted:

Bell does the whole "dream subway" bit every so often when a celebrity dies. I can recall him doing it for George Carlin, Michael Jackson, Osama Bin Laden, and his own grandfather.

Please tell me it ended with George throwing Bell under the train. :tizzy:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

I really enjoyed these last few strips where the vikings were terrified of what we would consider normal animals these days. It reminded me of a painting of a legendary qirin from Ming China, which you can see on the Wikipedia page for qirin.

Mister Olympus posted:

Man, I really want to like Ham Shears for how cute it is and how interesting it COULD be, but it seems to have the opposite problem of a lot of strips--everything is just solved way too easily. The protagonists don't look like they're actually going to be challenged by anything at all; there's no tension in just setting up obstacles and blowing them over the next week.

Please don't say they get to the farm, it's a wreck, but a friendly construction company just happens to be moving in next door and having a 99% off on repairs special. Also all the cows milk themselves and the tractors are run by robots.

(granted, it's more likely the author is just eager to get to the actual point of the storyline... and I wonder if it'd feel so weird if it was dragged out to Mandrake levels. Is there no in-between with these things?)

Ham Shears had the opposite problem with the diamond theft/trial storyline, so maybe the writer is still trying to figure out how best to get the pacing right. I think it can be a delicate balance with newspaper-style strips, especially if the writer is used to stuff like regular comic books or manga.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Intelligent Life
Is it just me or is the first strip not totally terrible? I mean, it's still dumb GEEKS N JOCKS stuff, but at least it's not showing it as a WAR FOR THE AGES between TWO BITTER ENEMIES. These guys are still friends, and Barry's even inviting Skip along! Though I guess being a few degrees less dumb than Andrew Dobson on the subject isn't really much of an achievement.

I agree, it's got the kind of feeling Dustin has when his family isn't being complete scumbags to him.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Mr. Maltose posted:

Pretty sure he was provided a research set by Marvel, no joke.

Hilariously enough, you're both wrong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-3dPya9aiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Another aspect of his Wolverine prep I remember Jackman talking about (I think in Nickelodeon Magazine of all places) is that when he was shooting the first X-Men movie the water heater or whatever where he was staying didn't work, so his shower every morning was freezing cold. He realized that it made him feel how Wolverine felt, pissed beyond belief but unable to do anything about it so he had to bottle in that anger most of the time.

When they were making X2, he purposely took a cold shower every morning to get the same feeling.

• Locked thread