Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

PuTTY riot posted:

So it's all over, isn't it? No justice, everyone goes home.

It's far from over, but your wishful thinking is adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

SirKibbles posted:

As a person who grew up in Milwaukee. Wisconsin is heavily segregated and super racist he means it.

I know he means it, but is that what he's _saying_? I thought he was more adept than to step on his dick like that.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Tzen posted:

With last night being fairly peaceful, this type of behavior is just unacceptable. Officer Go gently caress Yourself needs to be tasked with administrative duties asap.

If the protest dies down this is just vindication that the show of force worked in the Police's eyes. A safe city is one that obeys Officer Gofuckyourself's orders.

Of course if the protests escalates that just shows that violence is all they understand and the police needs to escalate repression until order is restored.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ReV VAdAUL posted:

If the protest dies down this is just vindication that the show of force worked in the Police's eyes. A safe city is one that obeys Officer Gofuckyourself's orders.

Of course if the protests escalates that just shows that violence is all they understand and the police needs to escalate repression until order is restored.

In other words, it's a catch 22 unless the unrest becomes so bad and so clearly instigated by the police that reform is necessary to prevent full-blown revolution?

EDIT: It should be said, we haven't yet seen true escalation yet, and we probably won't until the verdict is passed. If the man is found innocent, all hell will break loose.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BottledBodhisvata posted:

...well poo poo, when you put it like that, yeah, it is kind of an awful statement to make. That said, he does at least cite cases where appearances were deceiving. But hell...

It's an awful statement. They first released half of a security video to try and make it look like Brown was committing a robbery in the hopes that it would make people less sympathetic for the victim and unwilling to charge the officer for killing him; Americans far and wide consider anyone with a criminal record to be practically subhuman and often don't mind their death or imprisonment in favor of rehabilitation, so it's an easy smear campaign.

But not everyone is willing to disregard someone's death because he may or may not have stolen $50 worth of Swisher Sweets. So instead he tries to justify it by saying exactly what I mentioned in the first paragraph: he did a minor crime (maybe), so he must have done something really horrible because criminals are scum and bad and you do the crime you do the time

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

It's an awful statement. They first released half of a security video to try and make it look like Brown was committing a robbery in the hopes that it would make people less sympathetic for the victim and unwilling to charge the officer for killing him; Americans far and wide consider anyone with a criminal record to be practically subhuman and often don't mind their death or imprisonment in favor of rehabilitation, so it's an easy smear campaign.

But not everyone is willing to disregard someone's death because he may or may not have stolen $50 worth of Swisher Sweets. So instead he tries to justify it by saying exactly what I mentioned in the first paragraph: he did a minor crime (maybe), so he must have done something really horrible because criminals are scum and bad and you do the crime you do the time

Can someone please recap this post for me? Thanks.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Can someone please recap this post for me? Thanks.

Didn't Lowtax ban you?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I went to bed early last night so I'm a thousand replies behind on this thread. I now wish I had stayed up so I could have witnessed this

in all its glory.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
So the national guard turned out to be a good idea?

I've been wrong in pretty much every prediction I've made about the situation in Ferguson, so I've basically stopped guessing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In other words, it's a catch 22 unless the unrest becomes so bad and so clearly instigated by the police that reform is necessary to prevent full-blown revolution?

EDIT: It should be said, we haven't yet seen true escalation yet, and we probably won't until the verdict is passed. If the man is found innocent, all hell will break loose.

The protests actually have been very good about the citizens not escalating it. The video evidence shows that every single time, the protests are by and large peaceful and the protesters police their own lines to keep agitators from turning it violent. And then the riot cops show up; their very presence escalates the situation (not only because they're a threatening presence but because the citizens now have specific grievances against them, to the point where people stick around purely to protest the police actions), and they make it worse by using violence, threats, and the ever-present LRAD against peaceful protesters in a manner that makes it seem like they're trying to downright start a riot.

The only good news is that the media that used to be mindlessly repeating the "violent riots in Ferguson" party line is now getting a firsthand look at what the cops are doing, as well as facing their own abuse and arrests that the cops try to deny is happening to their faces.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

chitoryu12 posted:

The protests actually have been very good about the citizens not escalating it. The video evidence shows that every single time, the protests are by and large peaceful and the protesters police their own lines to keep agitators from turning it violent. And then the riot cops show up; their very presence escalates the situation (not only because they're a threatening presence but because the citizens now have specific grievances against them, to the point where people stick around purely to protest the police actions), and they make it worse by using violence, threats, and the ever-present LRAD against peaceful protesters in a manner that makes it seem like they're trying to downright start a riot.

The only good news is that the media that used to be mindlessly repeating the "violent riots in Ferguson" party line is now getting a firsthand look at what the cops are doing, as well as facing their own abuse and arrests that the cops try to deny is happening to their faces.

I guess from now on it's just gonna be a day-to-day thing, and we'll see what goes where. Grand Jury is supposed to convene today, isn't it?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The funeral may be a big event as well, along with the weekend freeing up protesters from jobs.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
This is probably old news but just in case:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...7e9496c6a1.html

quote:

St. Louis County Prosecutor Robert P. McCulloch said it could be the middle of October before his office has presented all of the evidence in the Michael Brown killing to a grand jury.

Two assistant prosecutors on McCulloch's staff will begin presenting evidence later today to the grand jury in secret, as is protocol. But McCulloch said not all of the evidence is ready to be presented, and he said the grand jury's term that expires in September will likely be extended just for this case.

He's doing everything he can to try and get things to die down before he lets Wilson walk.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cheekio posted:

So the national guard turned out to be a good idea?

I've been wrong in pretty much every prediction I've made about the situation in Ferguson, so I've basically stopped guessing.

The National Guard has basically been restricted to just guarding the command post, but from what I understand they're by and large better than the police. They show up with much less gear (including only about one person in a group even having a sidearm, rather than a whole line of them with rifles) and are a hell of a lot calmer and nicer.

More importantly, like I said in my last post, the very presence of the riot cops is causing escalation because their horrible human rights abuses turns people to protesting them specifically. People who ordinarily would go home by midnight end up sticking around to protest the police brutality that's been going on, which the cops use as an excuse to gas and shoot them, and it continues the cycle. Any trust in the cops has been totally broken, and it's a very big mistake to keep sending them in because it's doing nothing but getting the protesters mad, giving the more violent revolutionaries and gangbangers a chance to do some damage to SWAT, and adding more instances to the ever-growing list of atrocities that the US is committing in the international eye.

I'd rather they sent in the National Guard as they are now: barely armed and equipped and not being pricks. The vast majority of the protesters are peaceful and don't start poo poo until the cops start egging them on, and replacing the big bad SWAT with less armed/armored troops who are better trained in escalation of force could only do good.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ReV VAdAUL posted:

This is probably old news but just in case:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...7e9496c6a1.html

He's doing everything he can to try and get things to die down before he lets Wilson walk.

Eric Holder's supposed to arrive today or tomorrow or so, right? He has the authority to speed up proceedings, doesn't he? I mean, not saying he would--but he COULD.

VVVV--Nah, I just don't much care for your positions or your persistent rhetoric in this thread. You've basically been just shy of taking the side of the police every time, you derailed us for 20 pages to discuss the shoplifting video, and you've done nothing but essentially take whatever view would be most contrarian at every turn, you and some other small handful of posters. If you found my post dickish, then you should grow thicker skin or maybe just not post stupid things all the time.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 20, 2014

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

It's far from over, but your wishful thinking is adorable.

So do you just wake up in the morning and decide you're going to be a dick? The local prosecutor isn't going to do anything, and I doubt Holder and crew are going to find enough evidence to make this a civil rights case.

e: The only way I see this moving is if Bob McCulloch recuses himself. That's not going to happen. Also why does chrome think 'recuse' is misspelled?

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 20, 2014

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Will there be a federal grand jury in addition to the one run by McCullough?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Its pretty hilarious when the military is less militarized and more relaxed than local cops.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

OptimusMatrix posted:

Here's an open letter from a former STL Police officer and current Gulf Shores, AL Police Chief. It's pretty scathing but spot on :rolleyes: .

http://www.wsfa.com/story/26317500/al-police-chief-writes-blistering-open-letter-to-ferguson-commander?clienttype=generic

A letter that states that Brown unequivocally just committed a felony (a crimein reality so innocuous the clerk declined to even call the cops on his own), and then compares the situation of a near random stop directly to the apprhensions of Timothy McVeigh and Ted Bundy is "spot on"?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Warcabbit posted:

I know he means it, but is that what he's _saying_? I thought he was more adept than to step on his dick like that.

No he's not stupid which is why he mentioned the family but he's basically doing the media/race agitators getting in the way of the cops bullshit.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wadjamaloo posted:

Its pretty hilarious when the military is less militarized and more relaxed than local cops.

The military is given more training on force escalation and how to deal with civilians. I'm willing to bet most of these cops haven't been trained in anything more than how to ensure compliance, at which point they're handed tons of shiny toys and big guns and aren't punished when they abuse them or are even ordered to abuse and agitate peaceful protesters to try and "gain control." In terms of ability to prevent a riot, they're barely above amateurs.

As far as I can see, corralling the media is less about "keeping them safe" and more about keeping them from reporting accurately.

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
If these demonstrations turn violent then the only thing that accomplishes is feeding into the narrative that these are thugs only out there for looting.

The headlines will read how angry and violent radicals attack police, public opinion will turn completely against the protests and every demonstrator who engages in the violence will be either dead or spend years in prison. The people of Ferguson are smart enough to realize this from what I've seen and many residents have flat out stated they don't want violence. These are real people's lives on the line with real issues that can still perhaps end with some real progress or at least with some kind of dignity for the community that they had their word heard. Obviously passions are high and people want something done about the terrible tragedy which started this entire situation but this isn't a communist manifesto fever dream. Things cannot turn violent, and if they do it will be suppressed easily and the important message these people have will be lost.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

As crappy as it is, the best thing is for the protesters to keep doing their thing as they do it now: peacefully protesting and demonstrating, letting the cops be the first to shoot, and policing the criminals and intentional agitators. Even if it continues on til October, it'll ensure that there's more fuel for the reform fire. And the longer the protesters remain peaceful and keep it from legitimately turning into a riot, the more chance that the media will report more on their side.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Hawkline posted:

A letter that states that Brown unequivocally just committed a felony (a crimein reality so innocuous the clerk declined to even call the cops on his own), and then compares the situation of a near random stop directly to the apprhensions of Timothy McVeigh and Ted Bundy is "spot on"?

That's a rolling your eyes smiley, I think the "spot on" part was sarcastic.

chitoryu12 posted:

As crappy as it is, the best thing is for the protesters to keep doing their thing as they do it now: peacefully protesting and demonstrating, letting the cops be the first to shoot, and policing the criminals and intentional agitators. Even if it continues on til October, it'll ensure that there's more fuel for the reform fire. And the longer the protesters remain peaceful and keep it from legitimately turning into a riot, the more chance that the media will report more on their side.

The media will maybe make a minor report on their side as a small bumper story, and everyone will ignore that it was 99% peaceful and still call them terrifying rioters. Nothing will change. Peaceful protest only works if it's "We're peacefully protesting now, but you better be ready if you don't change poo poo".

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 20, 2014

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

At the end of the day, this has to be destroying the police departments economically doesn't it? The overtime alone that's being paid out has to be exceptional. Also, while I'm sure they have a supply of tear gas, at some point, you start having to pay market price for it and it's not cheap. If nothing else, aren't they simply nickel and diming the gently caress out of the police here simply by keeping this up?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

RevKrule posted:

At the end of the day, this has to be destroying the police departments economically doesn't it? The overtime alone that's being paid out has to be exceptional. Also, while I'm sure they have a supply of tear gas, at some point, you start having to pay market price for it and it's not cheap. If nothing else, aren't they simply nickel and diming the gently caress out of the police here simply by keeping this up?

I knew a cop who told me about having his buddy call in bullshit reports every weekend morning so he'd stack up the over-8-hours pay, the weekend pay, the nightshift pay and the regular overtime pay. He'd make a few hundred bucks taking two hours to respond to some bullshit call.

These protests have got to be putting them into the poor house.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

That's a rolling your eyes smiley, I think the "spot on" part was sarcastic.
Gooddamnit, i swear it didn't load an image for me.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Kinda offtopic, but do I understand correctly that you have to know someone's email to buy them platinum?

gfsincere, if you see this I was going to get PMs for you but it's kind of a chicken-and-egg problem since I don't know how to get your email. You can hit me up at <my username> @ gmail and I'll send you a gift certificate if you want.

e: Actually, scratch that - I can just send it to the one mentioned in your Twitter.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 20, 2014

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

RevKrule posted:

The events of the last two weeks definitely haven't jaded me to the point that I think they will pay for all of this with a tax specifically targeted at a certain segment of the population or by cutting funding to schools/services which aren't in the "Anglo-American" part of town.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Wadjamaloo posted:

I'm not surprised

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RevKrule posted:

If you make a bullshit account on Combined Tactical Systems's website, you could get their pricing for the cost of 37mm and 40mm tear gas grenades.

Right now I'm seeing if they'll accept registration with "Something Awful" listed as the agency.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Didn't Lowtax ban you?

Yeah his rapsheet says "Hilarious Racism" and has a ban from Lowt-

Popular Thug Drink posted:

too bad it doesn't shoot A HONEST HARD DAY"S WORK then the blacks would run screaming

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

:stare:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PostNouveau posted:

Will there be a federal grand jury in addition to the one run by McCullough?
I think Holder said there would be

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Magres posted:

Jesus Christ.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Magres posted:

I think he got upset in the GBS thread went into irony mode

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

A radio station is claiming that Dorian Johnson is saying now that Michael Brown attacked the cop.

https://www.facebook.com/1007TheViper/timeline

quote:

***BREAKING NEWS***
Remember, you saw it and heard it here first. We have heard (from a VERY connected national media source) that Ferguson officer Darren Wilson will be cleared in the shooting of Michael Brown. The key: Dorian Johnson has now admitted that Michael Brown attacked Officer Wilson and attempted to take his gun. OFFICER WILSON WILL NOT BE CHARGED! This is scary. When this news is made official, we all have reason to be concerned about the reaction.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

MattO posted:

A radio station is claiming that Dorian Johnson is saying now that Michael Brown attacked the cop.

If it's from a national media source then why isn't it in the national media? They're being sensationalist liars, and downright irresponsible.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

MattO posted:

Mmm, yes, the Viper, the most trusted name in news.

It's very scary that black people

OH NO MY DICK
Feb 24, 2013

Forums Jesus

Magres posted:

It was pretty obviously a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OH NO MY DICK posted:

It was pretty obviously a joke.

No, I was serious. Jokes are forbidden on SA. Nobody ever exaggerates things for comedic effect here, we have too much respect for the integrity of debate.

• Locked thread