Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

GrossMurpel posted:

What's the final word on V2 factories? When you have a shitload, most of which are unprofitable because :capitalists:, should you subsidize everything forever or let the free market reign and let them die?

If you can afford it, subsidise to save what you can (it won't be enough), if you can't, watch the fireworks and unemployment go through the roof.

Otherwise get an interventionist party and watch your industrial subsidies go through the roof and kill all your income forever. Best you can do is go state capi, use that to build as many non-useless factories as you can, but even then you won't be able to fill all factory slots with useful factories and there's changes to supply and demand for input goods that occur between the mid-game to the late-game that will make some investments in the latter half only have transient value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

YF-23 posted:

If you can afford it, subsidise to save what you can (it won't be enough), if you can't, watch the fireworks and unemployment go through the roof.

Otherwise get an interventionist party and watch your industrial subsidies go through the roof and kill all your income forever. Best you can do is go state capi, use that to build as many non-useless factories as you can, but even then you won't be able to fill all factory slots with useful factories and there's changes to supply and demand for input goods that occur between the mid-game to the late-game that will make some investments in the latter half only have transient value.

This is good advice. When I can get a state capitalist party, I like to build the factories with the local resource bonuses myself and then turn off subsidies for all the capitalist built factories. If they can make a profit, cool, but I want to make sure I have access to goods too!
Stupid game seems to turn on subsidies for new factories by default though, turning them off periodically is kind of annoying.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
My best V2 economy strat: subsidise all factories when making a profit. As soon as you stop making a profit, stop all subsidies and play for a week. Re-subsidise all factories. Suddenly find you're making money again. Why does this work? Because :paradox:

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
A subsidized factory will keep blindly hiring workers until it overproduces and breaks down. Without subsidy, a factory will respond to loss of profit by scaling back production until it's back to normal or finds that no amount of what it's making sells and closes down.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I subsidize stuff like thats important to my military, like ammo and oil. Everything else is victim to the free market.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Allyn posted:

My best V2 economy strat: subsidise all factories when making a profit. As soon as you stop making a profit, stop all subsidies and play for a week. Re-subsidise all factories. Suddenly find you're making money again. Why does this work? Because :paradox:

It's posts like this that crush any urge I might have to finally play Victoria II. I actually kind of like the economic system in Ricky, even though you're usually swimming in cash by the end of the game.

Yes, I will never shut up about Ricky.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
I generally only subsidize enough factories to keep craftsmen employment at 100%. The least profitable factories get de-subsidized and are allowed to close, unless that would put thousands of people out of work. Dealing with a labor crisis is no fun.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Unemployed craftsmen are good if you need colonial emigration, though

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

SeaTard posted:

I've never actually tried anyone other than Russia, but I would think that Sweden, France, Russia, Prussia, Great Britain, and the Ottomans should all be fun out of the box. Smaller countries have a lack of generals, but Wiz made a little tool to generate a ton of generals for every country, which gets rid of the main problem with them.

Anyone have a link to this tool?

Also, what kind of army compositions should I be going for in MotE?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

It's posts like this that crush any urge I might have to finally play Victoria II. I actually kind of like the economic system in Ricky, even though you're usually swimming in cash by the end of the game.

Yes, I will never shut up about Ricky.

Gorgo, when did you change your username?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

The real way to deal with unprofitability is to invade and occupy a competing industrial power for a decade. Open up the markets and whatnot

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Six out of the eight great powers and four out of eight secondary powers all going to war and mobilizing their reserves killed my precious Swedish furniture and booze industry. Only after losing 500k funbucks does my economy begin to recover, and a liberal party with free trade is elected six months later. :argh:

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

What's the final word on V2 factories? When you have a shitload, most of which are unprofitable because :capitalists:, should you subsidize everything forever or let the free market reign and let them die?

Industrial score is based on profitability, so subsidizing factories in the late game is a stupid thing to do unless they're vital to your state. Early game subsidizing is useful because it allows you to build up a craftsmen population and because factories max savings depends on their size so they can be a bit fragile until they're like level 5, but you should start cutting down subsidizing in the mid game and you should never be subsidizing your factories late game. Unprofitable factories are giant money sinks that are only useful for storing craftsmen and those craftsmen would be far better off making your profitable factories more profitable.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Zeron posted:

Industrial score is based on profitability, so subsidizing factories in the late game is a stupid thing to do unless they're vital to your state. Early game subsidizing is useful because it allows you to build up a craftsmen population and because factories max savings depends on their size so they can be a bit fragile until they're like level 5, but you should start cutting down subsidizing in the mid game and you should never be subsidizing your factories late game. Unprofitable factories are giant money sinks that are only useful for storing craftsmen and those craftsmen would be far better off making your profitable factories more profitable.

Yeah, spending too much time subsidizing can be painful once the money runs out.

Very painful.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I find that you should only subsidize if you're still building up your industry or if you think the goods you're making are vital for sustaining another more profitable factory or for maintaining strong units. If a factory closes down then tear it down and build something else.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i set my v2 end-date to jan. 1, 3015 so my endgame is usually between 1970-2020, depending on the game

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Darkrenown posted:

Huh. I never thought the Combined Arms mechanic was obtuse. All the unit types are colour coded and there's a little box showing how the CA bonus changes as you mix n match types. What'd you find unclear?

From a while back, but I just booted up the unmodded game and CA was not what I remember at all. TFH made it even easier since you don't have to balance softness anymore and it is pretty much just mixing colors = better. I probably was confusing it with some other mechanic or something from a mod that makes the game even spergier.

Drink Cheerwine posted:

i set my v2 end-date to jan. 1, 3015 so my endgame is usually between 1970-2020, depending on the game

How do the economy and the game not poo poo themselves after 1936? It barely holds together the last decade as it is.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Drink Cheerwine posted:

The game I'm playing right now which triggered the question is on Ultimate's 1604 start so 100 years in is probably not even midgame yet but playes like V2 endgame without techs :v:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Don Gato posted:

From a while back, but I just booted up the unmodded game and CA was not what I remember at all. TFH made it even easier since you don't have to balance softness anymore and it is pretty much just mixing colors = better. I probably was confusing it with some other mechanic or something from a mod that makes the game even spergier.

Bingo. HOI3 prior to TFH (or was it For the Motherland) used a model where the Combined Arms bonus was based on hitting a certain Softness benchmark. With TFH it's just a matter of activating so many unit types within a brigade mix.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Bingo. HOI3 prior to TFH (or was it For the Motherland) used a model where the Combined Arms bonus was based on hitting a certain Softness benchmark. With TFH it's just a matter of activating so many unit types within a brigade mix.

It's still almost impossible to gauge from looking at the production screen what would actually be the best divisional composition to use however.

e: at one point on the Eastern front in my last Germany game (ages ago) I just built tons of Heavy Tank regiments and attached them to my infantry brigades because it seemed the best approach for the 'broad front' nature of the combat system.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 20, 2014

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Has anyone figured out what voodoo magic you need to do to get CK2 multi to work when people with identical versions and mods are getting different checksums, randomly? It seems like i bounce back and forth randomly, can get one person to connect but not another.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Elendil004 posted:

Has anyone figured out what voodoo magic you need to do to get CK2 multi to work when people with identical versions and mods are getting different checksums, randomly? It seems like i bounce back and forth randomly, can get one person to connect but not another.

Are the checksums similar? The checksum actually changes every time you start a game of it, by one letter. Might be that. If they're completely different then somebody needs to verify the integrity of the game cache through Steam

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Allyn posted:

Are the checksums similar? The checksum actually changes every time you start a game of it, by one letter. Might be that. If they're completely different then somebody needs to verify the integrity of the game cache through Steam

AFLL for one, and ZFLL for the rest of us, when AFLL Restarts he gets AFLL. Why would the checksum change every game start!? How the hell are people supposed to connect up? Oh I'm on my second game start everybody start the game twice to join me. Whoops I started a third time!"

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

Always restart CK2 every time you host or join a game. If you have to leave the multiplayer lobby for any reason, restart. If you've just left a singleplayer game, restart. Basically if you do anything other than "start ck2->click on multiplayer->join game" then restart.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Don Gato posted:

How do the economy and the game not poo poo themselves after 1936? It barely holds together the last decade as it is.

i used to play with NNM and now with gsgmod, so that may explain it. i've never had any major world economic collapses, really. whatever country i'm playing as is usually one of the top 3 great powers by the end-date of vanilla, i affirmatively look to collapse rival nations' economies through long occupations followed by balkanization, and every once in a while i let the free market prune my industrial base of unprofitable factories. the biggest "problem" i run in to is that there simply aren't enough of certain raw materials (like rubber) to satisfy world factory demand.

as for game performance, i don't have any issues in that department, but my computer is mid/high range and new as of about a year ago.

GrossMurpel posted:

The game I'm playing right now which triggered the question is on Ultimate's 1604 start so 100 years in is probably not even midgame yet but playes like V2 endgame without techs :v:

that's cool. is ultimate any good?

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

AFLL for one, and ZFLL for the rest of us, when AFLL Restarts he gets AFLL. Why would the checksum change every game start!? How the hell are people supposed to connect up? Oh I'm on my second game start everybody start the game twice to join me. Whoops I started a third time!"

Also want to add in the CK2 multiplayer is vastly easier than earlier games. While trying to get a MP game of V2 with my roommate despite doing all the steps to get the same checksum, use exact same files, delete map cache, etc, we still got vastly different checksums over multiple restarts.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

You can also all back up your game directories and redownload them from Steam.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So, some thoughts on March of the Eagles after I've spent a couple hours with it:

It's a good game that's just waiting to be refined, but unfortunately never will be. The biggest drawback I'm finding is the AI. It makes pretty much... no sense, both in terms of battles, army composition, and diplomatic goals -- the latter leading to an unforgivable case of Ugly Border Syndrome. Why on Earth would Great Britain feel a need to claim a chunk of Norway as a prize against Denmark in the Napoleonic Wars?

The map is really pretty, and it does a good job of at least feeling specific to the Napoleonic Era in a way that EU4 can't (though EU4's endgame overlaps with MotE's time frame).

Don't play a minor nation, there's no fun to be had there. You can have a pretty good amount of fun as some of the "lesser" major powers though, like Sweden... at least up until the aforementioned British theft of Norway :argh:

I bet this game is pretty good in multiplayer though. If you have a couple players who know what they're doing militarily and with regards to specific goals and cooperation, I imagine it's a lot of fun.

I'm sad we'll never see any more iteration on MotE, especially when Paradox has someone on staff (Wiz) who specializes in turning their worst older games into something reasonably enjoyable (Rome 2 for Crete,tweaking MotE for the Azerbaijan LP).

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Drink Cheerwine posted:

that's cool. is ultimate any good?

It's silly and hilarious and I like that.
For example: England in this game has been broken about 20 times by Catholic rebels, which gives -25% pop for every province with protestant religion every time, so they're at sub 1 million population now.
France had been entirely occupied by rebels for about 10 years but didn't break because Catholic rebels had the capital and (I assume) they can't break to them for some reason.
They were at about 2M population due to emigration.
Also, if you start in 1604 like I did, you get a few of the first tier techs and then ONE tech unlocks in 1700 and another one in 1750 and only in 1800 do the techs really start to unlock.
You also always get a bunch of space colonists, even if it's 1700.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Elendil004 posted:

It doesn't change every restart, it goes back to normal when you restart. It changes when you resign back to the main menu from ingame and it's done to guarantee you need to restart rather than having leftover data that'd make you go out of sync.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

I bet this game is pretty good in multiplayer though. If you have a couple players who know what they're doing militarily and with regards to specific goals and cooperation, I imagine it's a lot of fun.

The way I've heard March of the Eagles described was "Diplomacy with more involved combat"

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

gradenko_2000 posted:

The way I've heard March of the Eagles described was "Diplomacy with more involved combat"

Diplomacy is amazing and needs a proper asynchronous/PBEM PC/IPad treatment.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Diplomacy is amazing and needs a proper asynchronous/PBEM PC/IPad treatment.

Yeah I'm kind of stunned this hasn't happened yet, at least on a mainstream basis. Even Twilight Struggle is getting a proper conversion now via Kickstarter.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Darkrenown posted:

It doesn't change every restart, it goes back to normal when you restart. It changes when you resign back to the main menu from ingame and it's done to guarantee you need to restart rather than having leftover data that'd make you go out of sync.

ahhhhhhhh that makes sense

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Elendil004 posted:

ahhhhhhhh that makes sense

This is true of every Paradox game up to but not including EU4.

By the way, can the devs confirm that HOI4 won't require a restart for a rehost to keep the checksum the same? And what was it that caused that to happen?

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

This is true of every Paradox game up to but not including EU4.

By the way, can the devs confirm that HOI4 won't require a restart for a rehost to keep the checksum the same? And what was it that caused that to happen?

Well I assume if they figured out the checksum reset for EU4 it'll be applied to HoI4.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Anyone wondering how HoI IV DLC will work? Of course there will be the usual music and unit sprite packs but I don't see how the modular add-ons like in CK2 will work. Will Paradox go back to bigger expansion packs?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Anyone wondering how HoI IV DLC will work? Of course there will be the usual music and unit sprite packs but I don't see how the modular add-ons like in CK2 will work. Will Paradox go back to bigger expansion packs?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?796731-Counters&p=17920928&viewfull=1#post17920928

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I really don't get why there is so much discussion on tank designs in the Hearts of Iron 4 forums when all nations are going to have tanks with the exact same stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gort posted:

I really don't get why there is so much discussion on tank designs in the Hearts of Iron 4 forums when all nations are going to have tanks with the exact same stats.

Because the paradox forums are full of literal spergs who obsess and scream about details like this but have absolutely no concept of what makes a game fun or has any understanding of scope/scale of games.

• Locked thread