Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

How can I set up WiFi calling and texting on my Nexus 5? Can this only be done in Google Voice?
It's not possible. The phone has to come from Sprint and be preloaded with the Sprint Wifi Calling software. The Nexus 5 is one of those pure Google devices, so it won't have the software. (It doesn't work on a T-Mo N5 either)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What about this? http://drippler.com/google/nexus_5#!1351012

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Has anyone been having text messages issues recently? I missed like 6 texts from my wife that didn't show up until I rebooted. We both are on SERO with iPhone 5's. My buddy who is still rocking an oldschool Moto WinMo 6 keyboard phone is missing texts as well, but we had chalked that up to using such an beater phone.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

Wilford Cutlery posted:

How can I set up WiFi calling and texting on my Nexus 5? Can this only be done in Google Voice?

My Lg G flex didnt have and sprint pushed a software update recently that gave my phone the ability. I believe only spark capable devices (tri-band lte) I'm not sure the order of devices they are pushing this update to though if its not an option under network settings it may just be a matter of time before you get the update that will make it able to do so.

PittPanther
Sep 6, 2006
Anyone notice more dropped calls and worse signal with Spark phones? I went from an HTC One M7 to M8, as I needed wifi calling. The wifi calling works great, but when I'm on the cellular network, I'm dropping calls and having difficulty sending texts. I had no such issues with my old phone.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Is it still possible to buy SERO plans from other people? My new job offers phone reimbursement to the tune of $60/mo, and the only thing I can see that would fit within that would be picking up a second SERO plan for my work phone.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

thelightguy posted:

Is it still possible to buy SERO plans from other people? My new job offers phone reimbursement to the tune of $60/mo, and the only thing I can see that would fit within that would be picking up a second SERO plan for my work phone.

SERO can only be transferred to someone who already has at least one SERO line.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

the littlest prince posted:

Right, but he's asking if Sprint will still do a Transfer of Liability. That's generally been a "no" for a while now, but Jliznel said recently that they are. Maybe he can assist?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

the littlest prince posted:

Yep, and I already have one, I just want to find a way to get a second, so I'm not paying $20/mo+ out of my own pocket on top of the reimbursement for any of the current plans offered by the Big 4.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

thelightguy posted:

Yep, and I already have one, I just want to find a way to get a second, so I'm not paying $20/mo+ out of my own pocket on top of the reimbursement for any of the current plans offered by the Big 4.

I assume the $30 T-Mobile nerd plan won't work for that? Otherwise, yeah, you should be able to do that based on what I've read in this thread.

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004
Anybody knows what happens to specifically an iPhone 5s that has been internationally unlocked? I travel so much that Sprint is not appropriate for a business line any longer and ported out. Does the unlock only retain if it's associated to my account? Can I sell this as an 'internationally unlocked' device and not lose sleep?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

mrchina posted:

Anybody knows what happens to specifically an iPhone 5s that has been internationally unlocked? I travel so much that Sprint is not appropriate for a business line any longer and ported out. Does the unlock only retain if it's associated to my account? Can I sell this as an 'internationally unlocked' device and not lose sleep?

As far as I know an international unlocked phone is permanently unlocked.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

thelightguy posted:

Sent you a PM.

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004

Stick100 posted:

As far as I know an international unlocked phone is permanently unlocked.

Thank you.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So Sprint is striking pretty close to the old SERO plans with a deal like this.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

quote:

While Sprint won't be throttling data speeds, it admits that other plans may receive a higher priority on bandwidth availability. So if the network's having a hard time keeping up with traffic, customers on higher plans will be more likely to get faster data speeds.

I can't find the source for this.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

quote:

While Sprint won't be throttling data speeds, it admits that other plans may receive a higher priority on bandwidth availability. So if the network's having a hard time keeping up with traffic, customers on higher plans will be more likely to get faster data speeds.

Which is the same as the throttling as everyone else. I specifically recall Verizon saying they will only throttle if you are in the top 5% of users and the tower specifically is congested. This might actually even be worse that even if you haven't used data you might be slow speed due to lower QOS.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Here are FAQs for the new $60 unlimited plan from Sprint.

I've currently got an Everything Plus account (used to have SERO ages ago...they hosed up my account somewhere along the way, and this is the best I could get them to give me), for $60 + $10 premium data plan. The FAQs seem to say if you've got a plan, you'll need to wait out your contract or buy a new line of service. Sigh.

vx15i
Feb 9, 2003
I just got off the phone with Sprint. I had the ERP Family plan (edit: on contract). They offered to upgrade to the 2GB Family Share Pack with either a new line or an easy pay phone. They offered a free Galaxy Tab 3 with a new line ($10 a month) so I accepted that. I mostly use wifi so I use less than 1GB a month. All together the new plan is $45 cheaper per month.

I'm not eligible for an upgrade until December, but with a discounted phone the plan goes up $15 per phone (edit: my current phone is discounted but they didn't charge me extra for the plan).

vx15i fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 22, 2014

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Any advice about picking a new plan when I pick up 2 new iPhones next month? I have 5 lines right now (all iPhones) on the old Family plan, and my cost is about $270 a month. Should I just stay on my old plan?

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
So, any tips regarding doing a SERO Transfer of Liability? I'm going to be giving away my plan, but want to make sure I can do the ToL without having to do 10+ calls with Sprint. Is it just a matter of calling the person I'm transferring it to, and then doing a 3-way with Sprint (888-876-8381?) I can't remember if that number goes directly to someone, or if you still have to choose a specific department.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

EdEddnEddy posted:

Only catch with this plan is no subsidized pricing. It's easy pay or bring your own device only.

Jelly Omelet
Sep 2, 2011

I'm looking into upgrading my phone and was wondering if there's any significant differences between the Galaxy S 4 and 5? Is 5 much better the the 4? There didn't seem to be a whole lot of difference other then size.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Jelly Omelettle posted:

I'm looking into upgrading my phone and was wondering if there's any significant differences between the Galaxy S 4 and 5? Is 5 much better the the 4? There didn't seem to be a whole lot of difference other then size.

In terms of user experience it's probably about the same. Hardware-wise aside from the CPU/GPU bump the S5 has a dual-LED camera flash (like the iPhone 5S) so if you're a huge nerd about pictures that might be something to consider. Also there's a fingerprint scanner if you like that gimmick.

Have you considered other options or are you pretty much set on a Galaxy phone? There will be new releases from Apple (bigger screen iPhone 6) and Motorola (Moto X+1) in a couple weeks so keep an eye on that unless you are in desperate need of an upgrade right this second.

Jelly Omelet
Sep 2, 2011

nimper posted:

In terms of user experience it's probably about the same. Hardware-wise aside from the CPU/GPU bump the S5 has a dual-LED camera flash (like the iPhone 5S) so if you're a huge nerd about pictures that might be something to consider. Also there's a fingerprint scanner if you like that gimmick.

Have you considered other options or are you pretty much set on a Galaxy phone? There will be new releases from Apple (bigger screen iPhone 6) and Motorola (Moto X+1) in a couple weeks so keep an eye on that unless you are in desperate need of an upgrade right this second.

Thank you for the info. I'm not extremely set on a Galaxy phone, though I am pretty set on an Android phone. I also need to upgrade my phone within the next few days because my old one died on me.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Marklar posted:

So, any tips regarding doing a SERO Transfer of Liability? I'm going to be giving away my plan, but want to make sure I can do the ToL without having to do 10+ calls with Sprint. Is it just a matter of calling the person I'm transferring it to, and then doing a 3-way with Sprint (888-876-8381?) I can't remember if that number goes directly to someone, or if you still have to choose a specific department.
When I did it, there was actually no 3-way as far as I know. The dude selling it to me called me to ensure I was available. Then he hung up the phone and called Sprint and explained he was doing a ToL, and he gave them my contact and account info. Then the Sprint rep called me and I confirmed the account information and the transfer. Voilą!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Jelly Omelettle posted:

Thank you for the info. I'm not extremely set on a Galaxy phone, though I am pretty set on an Android phone. I also need to upgrade my phone within the next few days because my old one died on me.

If you want an Android phone and you want it now, can I suggest the Nexus 5?

Jelly Omelet
Sep 2, 2011

Q_res posted:

If you want an Android phone and you want it now, can I suggest the Nexus 5?

Thanks for the recommendation! I didn't even see it when I was looking, but it looks perfect for me, and a lot cheaper then the Galaxy. I just ordered it, now I just need a case for it. are there any good ones?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Jelly Omelettle posted:

Thanks for the recommendation! I didn't even see it when I was looking, but it looks perfect for me, and a lot cheaper then the Galaxy. I just ordered it, now I just need a case for it. are there any good ones?

I have this case and really like how minimal it is, but I was looking basically for something to keep the camera lens off of whatever I set the phone on. It's real grippy also.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

vx15i posted:

I just got off the phone with Sprint. I had the ERP Family plan (edit: on contract). They offered to upgrade to the 2GB Family Share Pack with either a new line or an easy pay phone. They offered a free Galaxy Tab 3 with a new line ($10 a month) so I accepted that. I mostly use wifi so I use less than 1GB a month. All together the new plan is $45 cheaper per month.

I'm not eligible for an upgrade until December, but with a discounted phone the plan goes up $15 per phone (edit: my current phone is discounted but they didn't charge me extra for the plan).

I've also got a Employee Referral Plan Everything Plus 1600 Family Share, and and can't see any incentive to switch to these new plans. They're more expensive and don't include a device subsidy (worth $15-19/month/line).

My five line EPRP costs $205--$105 plus $24.99 for lines 2-5. If I switch to the $100 20GB promotion, it'll still cost me another $125 in line fees--$40 for each under contract line minus the promotional waived $15 fee.

vx15i, are you sure the full $40 is being waived and not just $15 of the $40?

vx15i
Feb 9, 2003

goku chewbacca posted:

vx15i, are you sure the full $40 is being waived and not just $15 of the $40?

I got the 2GB plan, so it's $25 plus $25 each for two lines, plus $10 for the data line. I was under contract and had subsidized phones, but they only charged me $25 a line. I'm guessing they are grandfathering in existing subsidized phones as non-discounted phones.

If you get the 20GB or higher plan (and you are already a Sprint customer), it's $100 plus $15 per phone.

If you are a new Sprint customer, they are waving the $15 per line charge for up to 10 lines with the 20GB plan for two years.

Getimmaaw
Dec 22, 2006
Do we still have a resident Sprint Employee or have they all moved on?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'm on the Everything Data Share plan with 4 lines. Unlimited data and text for each phone (all 4 are smartphones now). Am I understanding my options correctly here? Currently, I have:

Everything Data
$110 base
+$20 line 2
+$20 line 3
+$20 line 4
+$40 (4x $10 premium data)

$210 for unlimited data and text for 4 smartphones.

My other options, arbitrarily selecting 20 GB because it's the "best value":

Family Share Pack (20 GB, subsidized option)
$100 base
+$40 line 1
+$40 line 2
+$40 line 3
+$40 line 4

$260 for 20 GB of shared data. Or if we go the unsubsidized route with the same data bucket,

$100 base
+$15 line 1
+$15 line 2
+$15 line 3
+$15 line 4

$160 for 20 GB of shared data, but phones cost full price (or tack on to the monthly cost with Easy Pay).

Is that correct?

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

brc64 posted:

I'm on the Everything Data Share plan with 4 lines. Unlimited data and text for each phone (all 4 are smartphones now). Am I understanding my options correctly here? Currently, I have:

Everything Data
$110 base
+$20 line 2
+$20 line 3
+$20 line 4
+$40 (4x $10 premium data)

$210 for unlimited data and text for 4 smartphones.

My other options, arbitrarily selecting 20 GB because it's the "best value":

Family Share Pack (20 GB, subsidized option)
$100 base
+$40 line 1
+$40 line 2
+$40 line 3
+$40 line 4

$260 for 20 GB of shared data. Or if we go the unsubsidized route with the same data bucket,

$100 base
+$15 line 1
+$15 line 2
+$15 line 3
+$15 line 4

$160 for 20 GB of shared data, but phones cost full price (or tack on to the monthly cost with Easy Pay).

Is that correct?

Getimmaaw, I work for an indirect, whats up?

brc, with that plan, costs are pretty drat near equal. If you go the contract route, your paying $200-300 for an iconic phone, then $40 a month. Thats over a grand after two years. If you go EasyPay, its $15+ oh lets say $27 for the popular phones. Thats $42 a month. Difference is, is that after 24 months, the device fee goes away and your plan gets super cheap. The subsidized route stays $40 until you figure something else out. Keep in mind Framily and My Way are still options, if that winds up being cheaper. Everything Data is an awful plan and is almost always more expensive.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

gypsyshred posted:

Getimmaaw, I work for an indirect, whats up?

brc, with that plan, costs are pretty drat near equal. If you go the contract route, your paying $200-300 for an iconic phone, then $40 a month. Thats over a grand after two years. If you go EasyPay, its $15+ oh lets say $27 for the popular phones. Thats $42 a month. Difference is, is that after 24 months, the device fee goes away and your plan gets super cheap. The subsidized route stays $40 until you figure something else out. Keep in mind Framily and My Way are still options, if that winds up being cheaper. Everything Data is an awful plan and is almost always more expensive.

It wasn't always that way, but it's definitely lost much of its value since I signed up 5 years ago. It sounds like the unsubsidized shared data plan may be the way to go from here.

What does Sprint do on those plans when you hit your cap? Does data shut off, or do you start getting hit with overage fees or something? It's unlikely that my family would hit a cap, but it's still important to know.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

brc64 posted:

What does Sprint do on those plans when you hit your cap? Does data shut off, or do you start getting hit with overage fees or something?

Sorry, are you actually asking whether or not a phone company avails itself of a legally justified opportunity to charge you more?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

So in case anyone's wondering, you can in fact still do a transfer of liability with a SERO plan. Thanks Marklar!

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

brc64 posted:

What does Sprint do on those plans when you hit your cap?

You get charged 1.5 cents per mb.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

gypsyshred posted:

You get charged 1.5 cents per mb.

Do you at least get any kind of warning if you're nearing your cap? I can track data usage on my own phone, but if I'm splitting a data bucket with 3 other people, that becomes much more difficult to keep track of. Personally, I prefer the unlimited data with throttled connection after a set amount system that I think T-mobile uses.

I don't know. I'm going to have to put some thought into this. Thanks for the feedback, everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

brc64 posted:

Do you at least get any kind of warning if you're nearing your cap? I can track data usage on my own phone, but if I'm splitting a data bucket with 3 other people, that becomes much more difficult to keep track of. Personally, I prefer the unlimited data with throttled connection after a set amount system that I think T-mobile uses.

I don't know. I'm going to have to put some thought into this. Thanks for the feedback, everybody.

You can set up alerts through sprint.com or use the SprintZone app. Also, on Android, there is a feature to both alert and cutoff data at specified thresholds if your worried about it.