Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Snackula posted:

There's a ridiculous part after making your useless stardock account where the game generates an activation text file which you then need to upload to stardock's website at which point I went NOPE and just pirated a copy of this game I have two legal licenses for.

well now I don't even know if I want to bother with the stupid thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

spudsbuckley posted:

Adding another abandoned game to the Some-Subset-Of-Goons-Will-Recommend-Literally-Everything pile.

Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Whatever: bog standard hack and slash tripe akin to stuff i played and grew tired of back in the PS1 days. Not even worth the buck i spent on it.
It was fun but only the first 3/5ths of it. Once they start overloading encounters with the 'mini-boss' types I just started running past any combat I could.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

LLCoolJD posted:

Give me a more polished Blood Money with fun levels and I will buy the franchise till the cows come home.

Contracts was less polished but had additional levels :shrug:

the next game is gonna have the unreal announcer announcing your m-m-m-monster noscope streak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh3a4stNaf4
in case anyone wasn't familiar with hitman, this 2 minute video tells you everything you need to know about why absolution was disappointing

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Seventh Arrow posted:

:eyepop:

Haha, how paranoid/insane do you have to be to expect paying customers to do this? I'm just seeing some Stardock manager with all these activation codes on his basement wall, connected with red string.

A Beautiful Gamer: Starring Phil Fish.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm just seeing some Stardock manager with all these activation codes on his basement wall, being sexually harassed and/ or attacked with bees

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Quest For Glory II posted:

It was fun but only the first 3/5ths of it. Once they start overloading encounters with the 'mini-boss' types I just started running past any combat I could.

I played about a hour and just couldn't be bothered with any more.

Not a huge fan of hack and slash anyway and this was extremely by the numbers.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alright so if Walking Dead S2E5 is next week then I guess my next batch of games to play will be...

Dishonored: Knife of Dunwall
The Darkness II
Deadlight
Walking Dead S2
Arkham Origins
Red Faction: Armageddon

I can't wait for September to get here so my bandwidth cap resets :I

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Ugh, I've just noticed Steam now has regional currency and pricing scheme for Japan. We used to run on American prices with a certain few games on ridiculous markup (for the longest time Black Ops 2 was $99.99) now everything new costs at least $10 more. :argh:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Mortimer posted:

in case anyone wasn't familiar with hitman, this 2 minute video tells you everything you need to know about why absolution was disappointing

I... did not know it was quite this bad. :lol:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah that part of Absolution made no sense but thankfully that was one part of the game. I mean it's not super bad but just don't expect Blood Money.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

lordfrikk posted:

I... did not know it was quite this bad. :lol:

It's not. EPIC LOL LPer spliced in the dumb music and that was a tiny section. Most of the game is normal stealthing/killing.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ragequit posted:

It's not. EPIC LOL LPer spliced in the dumb music. Most of the game is normal stealthing/killing.

the guy isn't an LPer, its not even his footage

the game is terrible and this is just the pinnacle of badness

the fact it was even in the game is an insult

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mortimer posted:

Regardless, dude is an idiot. The game is decent, and that part does not represent 99% of the game.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

Alright so if Walking Dead S2E5 is next week then I guess my next batch of games to play will be...

Wasn't it set for September 23?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Teddles posted:

I came back from Japan, where Steam displayed in dollars, two weeks ago. I'm in the UK now, and until yesterday Steam kept on using dollars.

Now it's in yen :iiam:

You're stuck in the Japanese store, which has literally just rolled out yen pricing. Naturally, a bunch of big publishers, Valve included, has forgotten to set a yen price, making their wares unpurchasable. :downs:

To switch back to the UK store, go to https://store.steampowered.com/?cc=gb

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ragequit posted:

Regardless, dude is an idiot. The game is decent, and that part does not represent 99% of the game.

You're talking about Absolution right? Absolution is decent? Did they patch out 90% of the game's levels or something?

I paid full price and I'm not afraid to say the game is poo poo

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Wasn't it set for September 23?

I heard Sept 30th at the earliest. I look forward to finishing season 2 up, but I don't know if I am up for any more seasons. I enjoyed A Wolf Among Us so much more.

Mortimer posted:

You're talking about Absolution right? Absolution is decent? Did they patch out 90% of the game's levels or something?

Correct I am talking about Absolution. I had fun with it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mortimer posted:

Contracts was less polished but had additional levels :shrug:

the next game is gonna have the unreal announcer announcing your m-m-m-monster noscope streak

Amusingly, that Absolution bit is a single assassination kill on that guy, out of I think 7 in the level?

You can also sneak up the rafters and drop the signage on him, poison his water bottle, mess with the pyrotechnics so they burn him alive, and a few others I didn't end up getting ( I think you can make it so the other real wrestler will beat him? ). I think I ultimately shot him since the security was so tight by that point in the game.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Rookersh posted:

Amusingly, that Absolution bit is a single assassination kill on that guy, out of I think 7 in the level?

You can also sneak up the rafters and drop the signage on him, poison his water bottle, mess with the pyrotechnics so they burn him alive, and a few others I didn't end up getting ( I think you can make it so the other real wrestler will beat him? ). I think I ultimately shot him since the security was so tight by that point in the game.

Woah hey now that can't be right, Absolution is totally linear.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
The assassination missions in Absolution were okay, shame about the other 50%+ of the levels though (except the Gun Shop, the Gun Shop was good).

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Dishonored: Knife of Dunwall
The Darkness II
Deadlight
Walking Dead S2
Arkham Origins
Red Faction: Armageddon

I can't wait for September to get here so my bandwidth cap resets :I

I'll suggest The Darkness II if you like ripping mobsters to pieces and eating hearts.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Lance Streetman posted:

I'll suggest The Darkness II if you like ripping mobsters to pieces and eating hearts.

You get 25 points for an "Assecution", which I think was ripping the spine out through the butthole. Fun game.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Also Hitman 2 is obscenely linear in most of the levels, too, and has a lot of dumb poo poo. There's pretty much one way to do the levels that doesn't involve annihilating all the guards. Blood Money and to a lesser extent Contracts are really the only ones which really made it work.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
The thing that kind of wrecked Absolution was the disguise mechanic where every x knows every other x ever.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
Humble Mobile SEGA bundle has Chu Chu Rocket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga62uiXbEjI

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY loving MONEY.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Sardonik posted:

The thing that kind of wrecked Absolution was the disguise mechanic where every x knows every other x ever.

Yeah it was dumb but disguises in Blood Money were really way too easy to use and pretty much made the game super easy.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Mortimer posted:

Lmao jesus christ.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Sardonik posted:

Which they then patched down, so that it's only a problem if you start on harder difficulties without the Disguise buff.

Full disguise buff on Normal/Hard plays exactly like the old games. Full disguise buff on Professional is still pretty lenient, you just need to actually get from place to place at a semi reliable pace.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I've actually been in the mood to play the old Sonic games. Are the ports on Steam any good?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Sardonik posted:

In all fairness half the places you are sneaking into, this is true. It is fine, but it wasn't because the game was balanced around having that button you press that spends that resource that regenerates to get you out of it, rather than using traditional LOS breaking stealth. If you could sneak with a disguise into another area where people don't recognize you and you can walk around in plain sight it would've worked, but there was so little overlap in disguises in the levels to begin with.

Absolution's systems made total sense apart from the balancing of it. The levels didn't help though.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Panzeh posted:

Also Hitman 2 is obscenely linear in most of the levels, too, and has a lot of dumb poo poo. There's pretty much one way to do the levels that doesn't involve annihilating all the guards. Blood Money and to a lesser extent Contracts are really the only ones which really made it work.

I remember watching an LP of Hitman 1 and it was so loving dumb. There was almost always 1 way in which you were supposed to do the level, and deviating from it in any way would cause the game to freak the gently caress out. Never played Blood Money or Contracts, but from my short experience with Absolution it seemed pretty okay.

BigRed0427 posted:

I've actually been in the mood to play the old Sonic games. Are the ports on Steam any good?

SA2, Sonic CD, and Sonic Generations all have good ports. The Genesis games just pop you into an emulator, and the SA1 port is awful from what I heard.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I do love the good ol' "Absolution is total loving poo poo and is the worst game ever because it's not Blood Money 2, which is what I expected it to be when I bought it." argument. Fricken epic.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

BigRed0427 posted:

I've been working through Sonic 3 and Knuckles here and there. It seems OK so far. I just keep messing up on the special stages. But that's probably just down to me not playing the game in years.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They're just running on a genesis emulator, and the emulation is pretty much perfect.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

I AM BRAWW posted:

I do love the good ol' "Absolution is total loving poo poo and is the worst game ever because it's not Blood Money 2, which is what I expected it to be when I bought it." argument. Fricken epic.

Yeah, what a bunch of morons expecting a sequel to be like the game before it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

lordfrikk posted:

Yeah, what a bunch of morons expecting a sequel to be exactly like the game before it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ragequit posted:

I heard Sept 30th at the earliest. I look forward to finishing season 2 up, but I don't know if I am up for any more seasons. I enjoyed A Wolf Among Us so much more.

Trailer is supposed to be up this week and the new episode usually launches the Tuesday after the trailer.

EDIT: Absolution was fine except for the stupid checkpoint system.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I AM BRAWW posted:

I didn't expect that, and don't think it's a terrible game, but I didn't expect it to deviate from quite a bit of the things that made Blood Money good. After patching the disguises aren't terrible, but I frequently had problems with the people I killed resetting among other things resetting if a checkpoint was loaded.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mokinokaro posted:

Trailer is supposed to be up this week and the new episode usually launches the Tuesday after the trailer.

Well that would be fantastic.

I am glad devs often try to change things up a bit in sequels. I wouldn't say the people that wanted Blood Money 2 are morons, but they shouldn't have been surprised. This type of thing has been common for a long time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Luckily, IO wrote an open letter to assure the correct-minded people that wanted a Blood Money 2 that they'll be getting something much closer to that on the next go around.

• Locked thread