Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

im pretty hyped for it. the wait for some good subs is going to be brutal

This is probably the talkiest the series has ever been, and it's 2 hours in one clump, so subbing it must be quite the ordeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...
Yeah, the wait is already killing me. I've seem some screenshots though, and I just love Araragi's dumb long hair. He looks so stupid, it's great. And the yellow bug to top it off, jesus christ.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

darkgray posted:

This is probably the talkiest the series has ever been, and it's 2 hours in one clump, so subbing it must be quite the ordeal.

I think at least half of it must have been pure exposition.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah that arc was really good. Typical bittersweet mixed in with heartwarming

The Araragi moment was fantastic

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Great wrap to the 2nd season. So Kaiki somehow survived getting bashed in the head in the snow? No problem with me; we got to hear his theme again and loved that bit where he outran Kanbaru to her disbelief.
drat Araragi looks so ridiculous in his long hair/buttoned collar. And I swear we've seen dominos being knocked down before in a past episode.

The question left now is what are the odds we will see a third season of monogatari before Kizumonogatari? But I guess all the oddities are mostly gone or resolved, except for Shinobu, so will there be enough for a 3rd season? I guess there still is that missing arc in season 2 yet to be shown/explained.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Sydnesider posted:

The question left now is what are the odds we will see a third season of monogatari before Kizumonogatari? But I guess all the oddities are mostly gone or resolved, except for Shinobu, so will there be enough for a 3rd season? I guess there still is that missing arc in season 2 yet to be shown/explained.

There will be a minimum of 6 entire books to adapt for a third season, so material shouldn't be a problem.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...
Wow, that was fantastic. I totally see how that could come in the middle of SS, but I'm sort of glad it came after. The tone seemed a lot more... mature this time around. It's probably because it's been so long since we've has Kanbaru narrate. Even though it definitely was the talky-est the series has been, it was completely gripping. I enjoyed Numachi's long monologues, and those twists around the end were pretty well done, though kind of expected. Ougi was fantastic as ever, and as confusing. Even though I know whats up with Ougi, it still doesn't make much sense how theyre a dude? And, of course, seeing Kaiki was incredibly welcome.

I think my favorite scene was either Kanbaru taking that long run in the end of Episode 4 or Araragi and Kanbaru talking about Araragi's sisters.

Sydnesider posted:

As darkgray said, there's six books to adapt, some of them being the longest in the series. (Minor LN details) The plot opens up in the first book, and things keep moving from there.

I wouldn't be worried about how much there is left. There's a lot, and it's all really good.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

i300 posted:

Ougi was fantastic as ever, and as confusing. Even though I know whats up with Ougi, it still doesn't make much sense how theyre a dude?

You have no idea. You really have no loving idea.

(Hanamonogatari) When I read the books, it was in the release order, so I got to Hanamonogatari right after Kabukimonogatari, which is where Ougi is first introduced. At this point, the only thing known about Ougi is from a brief dialogue with Koyomi about traffic lights and crossing the road. In the novel there's no mention of her creepy, black anime eyes, so I was sure she was just another addition to the harem (yay).

In Hanamonogatari when Ougi shows up again, she's suddenly called a "shounen" (boy), and Kanbaru calls her Ougi-kun (nearly always for boys). "What?" I went, completely perplexed. "Wasn't she a girl?" So I went to my shelf, picked up Kabukimonogatari and reread the Ougi passage. Sure enough, she was a girl! Totally a girl! "Now what the hell is this? Why is she suddenly a guy? What the gently caress is going on here? Did Nishio forget his own goddamn character's gender?"

Then I turned the page, and there's Kanbaru asking Ougi if she was ever a girl, and I realized Nishio simply hates his readers and pulled the biggest trolling mindfuck ever.

Anime viewers have it so easy. :mad:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I knew it :toot: Kaiki's greatest lie was making the audience think he was dead.

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
I found it visually appealing but boring as gently caress

Two characters, one of which I don't care about at all (i.e. not Kanbaru), isn't enough to carry it

kizumonogatari can come out now thanks

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Gravefront posted:

I found it visually appealing but boring as gently caress

Two characters, one of which I don't care about at all (i.e. not Kanbaru), isn't enough to carry it

agreed on the other character, did nothing for me. liked the scenes that didn't feature her though

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Gravefront posted:

Honestly I kind of wonder why people are looking forward to that because it's pretty terrible. If your complaint for this one is "too many characters I don't care about" then Kizu is about three times worse.

That said, I liked Numachi.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Clarste posted:

Honestly I kind of wonder why people are looking forward to that because it's pretty terrible. If your complaint for this one is "too many characters I don't care about" then Kizu is about three times worse.

Uh. It's been nearly five years since I read it, but it's probably still the best light novel I've ever read. And I've finished about 150 of them at this point (even if 20 were by Nishio). It's easily "three times" better than any other book in the Monogatari series. It has the best balance between plot, humour and action, and was written before some of his jokes got ... stale. Admittedly my opinion may have been the opposite, had it come out last rather than third, but at the time I thought it had an interesting take on vampires, and most importantly, it sheds a ton of light on Koyomi's relationship with Hanekawa, which heightens every other arc where she's involved.

Your negativity puzzles me. I'm more worried about Tsukimonogatari (vol 13), since it was the worst of the bunch, and most likely to be adapted next. Luckily Shaft does some decent editing.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I'm currently in the middle of watching hanamonogatari but man Kaiki is the best.
I intentionally avoided paying attention so I'm pleasantly surprised that my favorite character (Suruga) is the center piece for this movie.
Top quality so far I wish it was possible that they would never run out of new material :(

e: 100% happy with Suruga time, it felt sort of strange that other than in the concept of a character being a ghost there really wasn't that much supernatural stuff going on, just meeting up with someone she used to know and working through things.

Also, God drat Araragi.

Liver Disaster fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 21, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

darkgray posted:

Uh. It's been nearly five years since I read it, but it's probably still the best light novel I've ever read. And I've finished about 150 of them at this point (even if 20 were by Nishio). It's easily "three times" better than any other book in the Monogatari series. It has the best balance between plot, humour and action, and was written before some of his jokes got ... stale. Admittedly my opinion may have been the opposite, had it come out last rather than third, but at the time I thought it had an interesting take on vampires, and most importantly, it sheds a ton of light on Koyomi's relationship with Hanekawa, which heightens every other arc where she's involved.

Your negativity puzzles me. I'm more worried about Tsukimonogatari (vol 13), since it was the worst of the bunch, and most likely to be adapted next. Luckily Shaft does some decent editing.

To be honest it's the only of the novels I've read, but unless Shaft has been doing some magical editing it seems significantly poorer quality than the rest we've seen. It certainly has its high points, but, speaking from the perspective of the movie coming out now, the insights about Hanekawa and Shinobu are coming a bit too late to have much impact and the rest of the book is padded with pointless and shounen-y battles against generic vampire hunters.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

was this the last time we will see kaiki animated? he "died" at the end of nadeko snake, and everything left to animate happens before hanamonogatari. is he "dead" through all those other stories or is he around?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

was this the last time we will see kaiki animated? he "died" at the end of nadeko snake, and everything left to animate happens before hanamonogatari. is he "dead" through all those other stories or is he around?

Suruga Devil happens at the chronological end of most of the “Second Season” of the Monogatari cycle. Kaiki was probably just trolling the reader/watcher.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Then again Kanbaru was talking to a lot of dead people this arc.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Clarste posted:

To be honest it's the only of the novels I've read, but unless Shaft has been doing some magical editing it seems significantly poorer quality than the rest we've seen. It certainly has its high points, but, speaking from the perspective of the movie coming out now, the insights about Hanekawa and Shinobu are coming a bit too late to have much impact and the rest of the book is padded with pointless and shounen-y battles against generic vampire hunters.

You're certainly entitled to think it's bad, but all the books have been like that, only worse. Nishio loves his words. I know the anime can seem talky at times, but that's after Shaft has cut down 50-75% of the dialogue in many cases. With the Monogatari series he also has a tendency to stuff in as many meta jokes as possible, and Shaft kindly spares us from those. Since I personally can't stand meta, there are times when I think the anime is better than the original.

I'd agree on Shinobu's part coming very late. By the time Kizumonogatari came out, Shinobu still hadn't spoken a word, if I remember correctly. Hanekawa, however, still seems hated by a lot of the Monogatari fanbase. Showing her first encounter with Koyomi would probably alleviate some of that. On the action? Well, I like shounen battles. :(

Did you read it in the original Japanese? The man's a word wizard. I don't really know about the quality of the English versions floating around, but light novel translators in general seem to be ADD kids with crayons. Something of value may have been lost in the process.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

darkgray posted:

You're certainly entitled to think it's bad, but all the books have been like that, only worse. Nishio loves his words. I know the anime can seem talky at times, but that's after Shaft has cut down 50-75% of the dialogue in many cases. With the Monogatari series he also has a tendency to stuff in as many meta jokes as possible, and Shaft kindly spares us from those. Since I personally can't stand meta, there are times when I think the anime is better than the original.

I'd agree on Shinobu's part coming very late. By the time Kizumonogatari came out, Shinobu still hadn't spoken a word, if I remember correctly. Hanekawa, however, still seems hated by a lot of the Monogatari fanbase. Showing her first encounter with Koyomi would probably alleviate some of that. On the action? Well, I like shounen battles. :(

Did you read it in the original Japanese? The man's a word wizard. I don't really know about the quality of the English versions floating around, but light novel translators in general seem to be ADD kids with crayons. Something of value may have been lost in the process.

No, I read the translation and I'll admit that it probably read a lot better in the original. However, my main complaint is actually the shounen battles though. I just thought they were really kind of stupid and didn't fit the tone of the series at all. Like, we actually see Koyomi actually fight people and actually try to win, and then end up like, analyzing his opponent's powers and finding their weakness. That is actually a thing that happens and it blows my mind, in a bad way. The fact that the three villains are loosely characterized "obstacles" that exist only for him to defeat is the icing on the "what the heck is this and what has it done with Monogatari" cake. If anything I thought it wasn't talky enough.

The beginning and end are both very interesting, but the middle was just a chore for me to read through, and I don't think it would make a very good movie.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 21, 2014

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Clarste posted:

No, I read the translation and I'll admit that it probably read a lot better in the original. However, my main complaint is actually the shounen battles though. I just thought they were really kind of stupid and didn't fit the tone of the series at all. Like, we actually see Koyomi actually fight people and actually try to win, and then end up like, analyzing his opponent's powers and finding their weakness. That is actually a thing that happens and it blows my mind, in a bad way. The fact that the three villains are loosely characterized "obstacles" that exist only for him to defeat is the icing on the "what the heck is this and what has it done with Monogatari" cake. If anything I thought it wasn't talky enough.

The beginning and end are both very interesting, but the middle was just a chore for me to read through, and I don't think it would make a very good movie.

I loved that part, though.

(Kizumonogatari) First of all, I suffer from plot amnesia, which means I barely retain any details of what happens in a book three months after I read it, and it's been five years since Kizumonogatari. Anyway. All throughout the Monogatari series, we see Koyomi get beat to a pulp, and still he struggles on. We keep hearing about how vampires are the kings of their realm, how powerful they are, how amazing, but all we see is this half-assed shadow of one in what Koyomi now has become.

In Kizumonogatari, all of that is finally revealed in full splendour. While Koyomi may be analyzing his opponents to find weaknesses, what really happens is that he keeps discovering new aspects of his own vampiric powers. And by the end of the book, we realize that vampires aren't just amazingly powerful immortals, they're practically omnipotent beings. And it's been there all along; Koyomi just didn't know how to use it properly. Kizumonogatari is the ultimate display of the "俺TUEEEE" (OP MC) genre, now littered with titles like SAO and Mahouka.

But Monogatari doesn't end there. It begins there. Koyomi doesn't get stronger and stronger like a shounen hero, instead he starts at the very top -- as a god -- and gives it all up. Infinite power isn't worth it to him. And in every battle that follows, no matter how impossible it seems, no matter how destroyed he gets, he never resorts to taking that power back. He finds other ways to fight.

So, well, taken by itself, maybe it's a lovely shounen power trip. But in relation to the entire series, I just think it adds a touch of depth.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

darkgray posted:

Kizumonogatari is the ultimate display of the "俺TUEEEE" (OP MC) genre, now littered with titles like SAO and Mahouka.

And this is the dude who wrote Katanagatari, so if anyone can make that interesting it's Nisio Isin.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Kizumonogatari would be great to see as a movie if they could bring motion to Koyomi's gross self-inflicted skull perforation. Every time I imagine it animated, it kinda gives me the heebie jeebies.

The meta-jokes (a thing that unfortunately goes to make appearances on most, if not all of the subsequent books) do start wearing out their welcome after a while, though. I guess in Kizu he was still trying to find a "vibe" for the series overall, so beyond the mention of "how would this look in an anime?" and the Shounen-tacular battle manga Koyomi was reading that he used as "reference" (was the series fictional or it does exist? Can't remember the name), is isn't that bad.

darkgray posted:

A little more insight on Shinobu/Kiss-shot wouldn't actually hurt, even if we were shown a lot of her development in Mayoi Jiangshi and Shinobu Time already. I do think Hanekawa got a much better deal in the end when it came to the anime, and I think I came to understand (not that it keeps it from still being creepy as poo poo) Nisio's sometimes downright creepy obsession with Yui Horie (I do distinctly remember a lot of the meta-jokes in both Nekomonogatari books focusing on Hanekawa's VA) a bit better because holy poo poo did she do a helluva job as Hanekawa.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sauce

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Liver Disaster posted:

I'm currently in the middle of watching hanamonogatari but man Kaiki is the best.
I intentionally avoided paying attention so I'm pleasantly surprised that my favorite character (Suruga) is the center piece for this movie.
Top quality so far I wish it was possible that they would never run out of new material :(

e: 100% happy with Suruga time, it felt sort of strange that other than in the concept of a character being a ghost there really wasn't that much supernatural stuff going on, just meeting up with someone she used to know and working through things.

Also, God drat Araragi.

Kaiki has always been the best and his theme is the best. :allears:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

My past life as a basketball nerd haunts me, as I couldn't stop paying attention to the inconsistency in court dimensions. They used the old FIBA style court dimensions in the first episode, the NCAA court in the flashback (edit: which I guess makes sense for middle school), and the new FIBA/NBA dimensions in later episodes. :arghfist:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

AnacondaHL posted:

My past life as a basketball nerd haunts me, as I couldn't stop paying attention to the inconsistency in court dimensions. They used the old FIBA style court dimensions in the first episode, the NCAA court in the flashback (edit: which I guess makes sense for middle school), and the new FIBA/NBA dimensions in later episodes. :arghfist:

If they hit all three regulations, I'll bet it was one hundred percent intentional.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

Yet somehow you're willing to ignore them talking in a huge empty field (in the middle of a city) that adds stairs and construction equipment randomly?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Holy poo poo, Shaft made :words: the anime. I really enjoyed it though. Kanbaru is a pretty entertaining/interesting character so its nice to see her be the centerpiece. Aside from her this may be the series most visually appealing entry. Even Numachi was likeable so ya I'm pretty happy with this. Now one day Shaft will release Kizumonogatari...

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
one very good thing about hanamonogatari is that kana asumi's voice is delicious so

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

This is somewhat old, but I hadn't seen it until today, and I've already stared through it in awed silence twice, so I may as well infect you as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXX7dRULFaE

Weird how editing can change a show.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I loving love that AMV. It's even better when you compare it with how it looks before all the fancy editing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSoPE9W_cRU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

forums user darkgray you have read all of these novels right? please tell me what happens in each of the novels that have no been made into an anime yet. thanks in advance. i will give you a shoutout on the next Zorkast as compensation.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

forums user darkgray you have read all of these novels right? please tell me what happens in each of the novels that have no been made into an anime yet. thanks in advance. i will give you a shoutout on the next Zorkast as compensation.

I'm halfway through Owarimonogatari vol 3 (book 17), so pretty much all of them. But Zoku-Owarimonogatari (book 18) comes out in three weeks, meaning I won't be caught up for very long (if at all).

Surely there are other forums where people have compiled novel summaries.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Finally got around to watching Hanamono now that CR has it up. I really wish they'd split the episodes up, because I think that might have been the densest Monogatari entry yet. There were a lot of different threads being tied together in those 116 minutes, I'm probably going to have to watch it all over again.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

I'm halfway through Owarimonogatari vol 3 (book 17), so pretty much all of them. But Zoku-Owarimonogatari (book 18) comes out in three weeks, meaning I won't be caught up for very long (if at all).

Surely there are other forums where people have compiled novel summaries.

there is that big timeline of things that happens that they translated on that baka-tsuki site, but it doesnt go in-depth and ive never been able to find someone just doing summaries of all of the novels.

----------------

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

there is that big timeline of things that happens that they translated on that baka-tsuki site, but it doesnt go in-depth and ive never been able to find someone just doing summaries of all of the novels.

Eh, it's hard to know what to even mention in a summary of the Monogatari series, since "events" or "actions" can be taken care of in a sentence, given that all they really do is talk. Those events are already covered by the timeline.

If you're asking what they talk about, it seems impossible to answer, since Nishio seemingly uses the characters as his own personal blog at times, happily writing "dialogues" about whatever topic he happened to think about during morning poop. While often entertaining, very little of that stuff sticks in my memory for more than a few weeks.

I could give a couple of sentences describing roughly what goes on in each book, but it'd have to wait until I finish my current volume, so I can double-check on details without spoiling myself silly on wikipedia. Not to mention that this book finally explains much of earlier mysteries and their background.

Why do you want to spoil it for yourself, anyway?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

Eh, it's hard to know what to even mention in a summary of the Monogatari series, since "events" or "actions" can be taken care of in a sentence, given that all they really do is talk. Those events are already covered by the timeline.

If you're asking what they talk about, it seems impossible to answer, since Nishio seemingly uses the characters as his own personal blog at times, happily writing "dialogues" about whatever topic he happened to think about during morning poop. While often entertaining, very little of that stuff sticks in my memory for more than a few weeks.

I could give a couple of sentences describing roughly what goes on in each book, but it'd have to wait until I finish my current volume, so I can double-check on details without spoiling myself silly on wikipedia. Not to mention that this book finally explains much of earlier mysteries and their background.

Why do you want to spoil it for yourself, anyway?

thinking on it some more you are right in that it is way to hard to summarize what happens and that timeline is probably my best bet. i was just wanting some details on why some things happened or if they were even explained. i will message you so i dont spoil stuff for anyone.

----------------

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
Well

if you like Avicii and that sort of thing this is um

surprisingly good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwhjqdSPw5g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Finished reading Owarimonogatari vol 3 last night. While I'm surprised and delighted that Nishio manages to tie up basically all known (and unknown) threads and explain practically every remaining mystery in this one final (?) novel, it just makes me all the more puzzled as to what Zoku-Owarimonogatari will be about.

• Locked thread